UnevenEdge

The Toonami Ratings Thread 1.0 :You are on a new board

StarPanda

Outlaw Star doesn't even have an episode title nor content rating up there yet and it's just three days away. Methinks those schedule people are being lazy.

Wow, you're correct!

BTW, The "better" schedule at http://adultswim.x10.mx/ has a gap on 9/2 from 11-4 AM. Could they REALLY be planning a marathon of the first 10 episodes of Lupin the 3rd: Part 4??

Unrelated to Toonami, Rick & Morty is getting a marathon of the first 6 episodes of Season 3 from 11 PM-2 AM on 9/3 that repeats from 2-5 AM!

I had a feeling you'd question that one. ::]:: It's complicated, the story of how it and the rest of the schedule was put together, but REIDEEN was always a series that had my eye, between the promotional image from an old Anime Insider issue that introduced me to the show and the ending theme that made me want to finally watch it. Sadly, I'm still stuck on episode 4, even though I have both DVDs from Sentai.

Eh, at least s-CRY-ed and DxD make good companion pieces to one another.

Unrelated to Toonami, Rick & Morty is getting a marathon of the first 6 episodes of Season 3 from 11 PM-2 AM on 9/3 that repeats from 2-5 AM!

"Hey Faithful! I'm sure you'll appreciate our first ever NON-TOONAMI Marathon on Labor Day!!"

:P

You know what?? You KNOW WHAT, DEMARCO?? WHY NO MAKE IT THE RICK AND MORTY BLOCK!!!! QUIT BEATING AROUND THE BUSH!!!!

"Hey Faithful! I'm sure you'll appreciate our first ever NON-TOONAMI Marathon on Labor Day!!"

:P

You know what?? You KNOW WHAT, DEMARCO?? WHY NO MAKE IT THE RICK AND MORTY BLOCK!!!! QUIT BEATING AROUND THE BUSH!!!!

I feel like the :P face should come after your ALL CAPS I AM SO SILLY statement.

I honestly still don't know if he's really gone or if this is just one big hoax. It's quite frustrating.

But lately I've been thinking "where in the hell did Toonami's biggest threat Live PD even COME from?" I figured it was a fairly recent thing, and I was right. It never even aired on Saturdays, opting instead only for Fridays and occasional Thursdays until 2/4/2017. And its numbers have just continued skyward on a positive trajectory since assuming its current Friday/Saturday format, as you can see here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_PD

Meanwhile, with the exception of Samurai Jack, Toonami's ratings have been dwindling, and yet it still remains king in 18-34. But how much longer will that go on? And how much higher can Live PD rise? I'm thinking College Football will deliver a HUGE blow to Live PD this fall but it, like Toonami, will keep on going. And meanwhile, Toonami will be affected to a lesser degree.

I think I've said this before, but do we have the data to prove college football has ever been a particular downer towards Toonami? I guess you wouldn't be saying this unless it was true, but you are OwlChemist[?], after all.

I'm just going to assume there won't be an overlap. Chances are, someone who likes both would only miss Toonami if a team they like lots and lots plays a game at the same time.

I think I've said this before, but do we have the data to prove college football has ever been a particular downer towards Toonami? I guess you wouldn't be saying this unless it was true, but you are Owlchemist, after all.

I'm just going to assume there won't be an overlap. Chances are, someone who likes both would only miss Toonami if a team they like lots and lots plays a game at the same time.

It's actually rather inconclusive, but it DOES seem to have had an impact the last 2 years. In 2015, September and October were weaker than the red-hot summer months, and ditto in 2016 after OPM ended and JoJo took over. But that might be more attributable to the shows than the competition. However, actually I was hypothesizing that LIVE PD would be more affected by College Football than Toonami. I believe College Football will have more overlap with Live PD's audience than [as]/Toonami's audience. Hell, College Football might even be such a factor that they turn Saturday nights back over to reruns of Live PD during football season. There's no way to know for sure since Live PD's first Saturday broadcast was February 4th, at which point the only football game left is the Super Bowl. However, it seems to be holding up just fine against NFL Preseason so they might just keep on truckin' with it since it's probably pretty inexpensive to produce.

But like I said, some years Toonami has done worse in the fall and some it has done better. The hype of Intruder 2 sent ratings skyward again in November 2015, for example. But Intruder 3 failed to provide the same boost the following year. With the exception of Samurai Jack, 2017 has been in free-fall decline as well, hitting lows for shows this summer that would have been unthinkable even in bad summers like 2014's. In conclusion, I'm thinking that College Football will probably have little to no effect on Toonami this year.

Just from the sound of it, Live PD has the same general appeal as Cops, but this time it's definitely live. Though I honestly hold the opinion that a lot of people watch it merely because they might see a black guy get shot.

I'm not sure why so many younger people would be intrrested in this show, however, with general distrust of the police seemingly getting bigger every year. :painfap:

Just from the sound of it, Live PD has the same general appeal as Cops, but this time it's definitely live. Though I honestly hold the opinion that a lot of people watch it merely because they might see a black guy get shot.

I'm not sure why so many younger people would be intrrested in this show, however, with general distrust of the police seemingly getting bigger every year. :painfap:

Actually, last week a lot more WOMEN watched it than men in 18-34, in fact about 2/3 more, but the reverse was true of 35-49 so that women 18-49 just barely edged out men 18-49.

http://programminginsider.com/ratings/final-nationals/saturday-final-nationals-ae-hallmark-adult-swim-benefit-night/

In light of this, I'm really not sure College Football will hurt Live PD all that much, but I guess we'll see.

Closer to home on this thread topic, this why Toonami needs to acquire a show that appeals more to women such as Sailor Moon Crystal. If Boruto isn't quite ready yet, that would make a decent replacement for DBZ Kai next year!

Actually, last week a lot more WOMEN watched it than men in 18-34, in fact about 2/3 more, but the reverse was true of 35-49 so that women 18-49 just barely edged out men 18-49.

http://programminginsider.com/ratings/final-nationals/saturday-final-nationals-ae-hallmark-adult-swim-benefit-night/

In light of this, I'm really not sure College Football will hurt Live PD all that much, but I guess we'll see.

Closer to home on this thread topic, this why Toonami needs to acquire a show that appeals more to women such as Sailor Moon Crystal. If Boruto isn't quite ready yet, that would make a decent replacement for DBZ Kai next year!

The issue with Crystal is that its already a few years old and on Hulu with its dub. However, what's strange is that Viz is releasing the second season straight to disc without it going to Hulu. Its possible that it makes the jump to Toonami later on (I think that with Toonami and Viz being cozy now it probably will at some point) , but six months worth of the show has already been out for 2 years, so we may have a similar situation to Tokyo Ghoul. The other issue could be that something like that will appeal to mostly women, but not men, it being a Shojo series.

I think you have the right idea though. They need to find something similar to SAO that has elements that attract both the male and female viewers. Perhaps something that's new, has action with a little romance, featuring strong male and female characters. A story that hooks people and keeps them coming back week after week to find out what happens next. I honestly have no idea if such a show exists that's new or about to be released. Preferably something that isn't so popular that the sub streaming doesn't compete with it. Something that Toonami introduces to the masses.

THERE TOONAMI.... GO FIND THAT SHOW! 

I think I've said this before, but do we have the data to prove college football has ever been a particular downer towards Toonami? I guess you wouldn't be saying this unless it was true, but you are OwlChemist[?], after all.

I may not be speaking for everyone here, but for me, college football is different to watch than NFL.  I don't particularly care about one team in college football, I just watch any game I can.  This was also the mindset that a lot of my friends in college had.  Granted, I played football, and so did most of my friends, so maybe I'm skewed a bit.  But if I'm not, then I can definitely see college football affecting Toonami ratings.

I was actually thinking of if Black Clover would be a valid replacement for DBZ. I know nothing about it other than that it's an up-and-coming Shonen Jump property, but that's arguably the point.

I was actually thinking of if Black Clover would be a valid replacement for DBZ. I know nothing about it other than that it's an up-and-coming Shonen Jump property, but that's arguably the point.

I like it! I'm afraid that the more ratings stagnate, the more conservative they'll be with their choices which defeats the point. As far as Black Clover goes, it would be cool if Toonami could jump on that before it reaches MHA levels so they can ride the wave if it blows up.

Considering FUNimation dubs dozens of shows a season, you would hope that they would have a few in mind for Toonami. I see on their twitter every time a new simuldub episode releases. I've never heard of any of them either. With all the effort going into dubbing these shows, you think FUNimation would welcome Toonami giving them a chance to be seen more widely. Some of these shows could stand to be big hits even if they weren't in Japan.

The issue with Crystal is that its already a few years old and on Hulu with its dub. However, what's strange is that Viz is releasing the second season straight to disc without it going to Hulu. Its possible that it makes the jump to Toonami later on (I think that with Toonami and Viz being cozy now it probably will at some point) , but six months worth of the show has already been out for 2 years, so we may have a similar situation to Tokyo Ghoul. The other issue could be that something like that will appeal to mostly women, but not men, it being a Shojo series.

I think you have the right idea though. They need to find something similar to SAO that has elements that attract both the male and female viewers. Perhaps something that's new, has action with a little romance, featuring strong male and female characters. A story that hooks people and keeps them coming back week after week to find out what happens next. I honestly have no idea if such a show exists that's new or about to be released. Preferably something that isn't so popular that the sub streaming doesn't compete with it. Something that Toonami introduces to the masses.

THERE TOONAMI.... GO FIND THAT SHOW!

Hey GATE has Rory Mercury. Girls would probably dig Worldend.

And then there's always Tanya. She's sort of a girl.

All eyes on Boston right now--well as a figure of speech. As long as nothing horrific happens there like what happened in Charlottesville last weekend, I think Toonami still will do fine in ratings/trending.

Well you still have asshole trump

All eyes on Boston right now--well as a figure of speech. As long as nothing horrific happens there like what happened in Charlottesville last weekend, I think Toonami still will do fine in ratings/trending.

Do fine in the ratings like the last few weeks? =P

I mean in RANKINGS. Last week, Toonami really did about as good as it has been lately; however, the invasion of all the news programs for the Charlottesville event had an effect and knocked Lupin off the Top 50.

And trending? Well, like 6 of the Top 10 were concerning current events all night so Toonami barely stood a chance!

It's a holiday dammit.

Next week is the Mayweather/McGregor fight, so yeah.  Even if most pundits agree it's a debacle, it's a debacle that will make Toonami's ratings suffer.

I find the ending of the video pretty amusing.

"I'm sick of this shit.... fuck you."

Wait till he sees the ratings opposite Mayweather/McGregor.

I think it will surprise people and sell less than May/Pac.

This weeks ratings should suck pure balls. Super was a recap and Kai was practically filler. If people stayed around after that I'll be shocked.

• Raptorpat unpinned and locked this topic