UnevenEdge

The Toonami Ratings Thread 1.0 :You are on a new board

StarPanda

Gonna say 350.

Maybe its 18-49s! It got a HUGE boost on Twitter, and if that translates to ratings, then I think we're talking:

(TOTAL/18-49/18-34)

DBS: 900K/500K

DBZKFC: 800K/450K/325K

JJBASC: 700K/400K/275K

TGRA: 600K/350K/250K

HXH: 550K/300K

LT3: 500K/250K/175K

NS: 550K/300K

AOTS2: 550K/300K

Point is, I believe Outlaw Star will get a bump of close to 100K

Maybe its 18-49s! It got a HUGE boost on Twitter, and if that translates to ratings, then I think we're talking:

(TOTAL/18-49/18-34)

DBS: 900K/500K

DBZKFC: 800K/450K/325K

JJBASC: 700K/400K/275K

TGRA: 600K/350K/250K

HXH: 550K/300K

LT3: 500K/250K/175K

NS: 550K/300K

AOTS2: 550K/300K

Point is, I believe Outlaw Star will get a bump of close to 100K

Know more tomorrow right?

I think it will surprise people and sell less than May/Pac.

This weeks ratings should suck pure balls. Super was a recap and Kai was practically filler. If people stayed around after that I'll be shocked.

Why the hell did they keep that "Finding the Dragon Balls scene?" They could have at least cut it down significantly. They are missing the whole point of Kai.

Im not expecting great things either. Multiple things this week probably are just not connecting with the audience. That Naruto filler won't help the back end at all. I'm sort of resigned to the fact that this is what we are going to get from now on with the Saturday schedule that we currently have. The only thing that's gonna treally boost things up in the beginning is if they stick more FOX stuff before Family Guy.

Really curious to see what they do with 3:30 after Jack finishes up

Why the hell did they keep that "Finding the Dragon Balls scene?" They could have at least cut it down significantly. They are missing the whole point of Kai.

Im not expecting great things either. Multiple things this week probably are just not connecting with the audience. That Naruto filler won't help the back end at all. I'm sort of resigned to the fact that this is what we are going to get from now on with the Saturday schedule that we currently have. The only thing that's gonna treally boost things up in the beginning is if they stick more FOX stuff before Family Guy.

Yeah there was no excuse for that whole "Bulma struggling to grab a dragonball while 5 people who can fly sit on their ass" scene. And then the dragon and Yamcha's ass. The dragonballs have been found like 50 times, you can just say you found them we don't need to actually see the whole journey to find the 7 balls anymore.

If i wanted to see that kind of filler I'd watch the original.

I don't watch Naruto but I've heard it's nothing but filler hell after the Pain arc.

You didn't like the breast grope?

I'd love for Jojo to dip into the 500s. How low will AS tolerate for a midnight show?

They are going to have to do something to address the slide.  Just getting a steady top ten isn't going to keep the advertisers rates up. It isn't that JoJo sucks, it is just a niche show that should be later.

OS will get 300, with immediately buyers remorse ensuing.

You really think they're gonna care what a show airing at 2:30 in the morning gets?  They got the show as nostalgia trip, so I doubt they're expecting it to do incredible numbers each week.

Besides, what would you rather see there? Bebop reruns again? 

They are going to have to do something to address the slide.  Just getting a steady top ten isn't going to keep the advertisers rates up. It isn't that JoJo sucks, it is just a niche show that should be later.

I don't know what they put there instead. That's the problem they are having I suppose. It might be too late for HxH to be on earlier since it's audience is established already and I'm not sure a bunch of new viewers will flock to it now. besides sliding the whole block back again, I don't know how they deal with Jojo's performance.

But they've got nothing to replace it with. Not a thing. Not even any prospects. What other shows do they have coming aside from IBO S2 and FLCL?

But they've got nothing to replace it with. Not a thing. Not even any prospects. What other shows do they have coming aside from IBO S2 and FLCL?

That's the problem. They took a big risk with Jojo and with no big things coming that can fill the timeslot they are stuck with it. Nothing from later in the block can really move up to 12 and fix the problem either. Shippuden might hold DBZ better, but the part it's at right now is going to be a long stretch of episodic filler. Unless they are secretly working on the dub to Boruto and that's coming soon, then I don't know what they can do.IBO isn't the answer either as that couldn't hold midnight either. The night starts out real low due to how prime time is configured and it makes that first large drop that much more painful.

Season 2 of IBO might surprise, there is a lot more action. It probably wouldn't be enough for midnight, but 12:30 would be a strong spot.

And it looks like 12:30 is most likely what it will get, too! I just can't see them moving the current Greed Island arc up to 12:30, but it's a damn shame the whole Yorknew arc got stuck at 1:30. Maybe Chimera Ant will get a shot at 12:30 when it's time for that to air!

And it looks like 12:30 is most likely what it will get, too! I just can't see them moving the current Greed Island arc up to 12:30, but it's a damn shame the whole Yorknew arc got stuck at 1:30. Maybe Chimera Ant will get a shot at 12:30 when it's time for that to air!

Next summer round this time should be interesting. Kai, Jojo ,and Gundam will be done and gone and HxH will enter its final year . They'll really have to figure out what shows are going to carry Toonami foward .

That's the problem. They took a big risk with Jojo and with no big things coming that can fill the timeslot they are stuck with it. Nothing from later in the block can really move up to 12 and fix the problem either. Shippuden might hold DBZ better, but the part it's at right now is going to be a long stretch of episodic filler. Unless they are secretly working on the dub to Boruto and that's coming soon, then I don't know what they can do.IBO isn't the answer either as that couldn't hold midnight either. The night starts out real low due to how prime time is configured and it makes that first large drop that much more painful.

I'm still holding out hope that JoJo Part 3 is somehow a "sleeper" hit, kinda like Gurren Lagann in 2014-2015. Then again, I dunno. That show was weaker in the middle and strong on either end.

What show was a "sleeper" hit recently? Parasyte?

And as for the 12 AM low point, that was Hellsing Ultimate X at 591K/289K 18-49 on 12/13/14, but then again, that was 12-1:30 AM. Even so, so far none of the JoJo: SC/Tokyo Ghoul/HxH combos of the previous 3 weeks have even sunk close to that low! All have been over 600K/300K 18-49!

Next summer round this time should be interesting. Kai, Jojo ,and Gundam will be done and gone and HxH will enter its final year . They'll really have to figure out what shows are going to carry Toonami foward .

JoJo might take another break but I can't see Diamond Is Unbreakable (Part 4) not coming sometime. And we'll just get a new Gundam show at some point too. Probably won't be occupying the Midnight Hour like they will be in October though. Maybe DIU does better than Stardust Crusaders though?

Kai you are right about though. It could get another rerun in a later timeslot (hell, if Toonami goes long all the way to 6 AM again, it would work great there), but it won't get 11:30/Midnight again in reruns.

I think they are going to end it next summer. It had a good run, time for the next thing.

I think they are going to end it next summer. It had a good run, time for the next thing.

I disagree. Hopefully they'll be smart and re-negotiate the 11 PM Super to a premiere before that happens!

After all, that's all it would take to end this mediocre madness!! But I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

You mean end Toonami? Doubtful. They still have Super, HxH, FLCL 2/3 that'll take them into 2019.

Plus we are probably getting Boruto and the inevitable One Punch Man season 2 and SAO3 whenever they happen. There's a lot of things that can still come to the block.

I do think the block should drop Shippuden after Pain (end of September) .  That can open up the door for more classic stuff to come to the 2am hour (or we put Lupin/Jojo there and plug in a new show earlier )

I disagree. Hopefully they'll be smart and re-negotiate the 11 PM Super to a premiere before that happens!

After all, that's all it would take to end this mediocre madness!! But I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

How did anyone think this Super deal would work out favorably? The DB fans have never been the most loyal but it did increase audience potential. Now you have given them an excuse to stay away from Toonami all together. Then you release Kai TFC on Blu Ray all at once giving those same fans a reason to avoid that show too.

There's talk on the Kanzenshuu forums of how they wish Super could just go to Funimation Now so they don't have to put up with Toonami's slow schedule. Apparently they've dubbed up to the Goku Black arc and they think it's Toonami's fault they can't see those yet. Plus they are praying that Funimation starts simuldubbing the current episodes and just putting them online as well. Little do they know TOEI

How did anyone think this Super deal would work out favorably? The DB fans have never been the most loyal but it did increase audience potential. Now you have given them an excuse to stay away from Toonami all together. Then you release Kai TFC on Blu Ray all at once giving those same fans a reason to avoid that show too.

There's talk on the Kanzenshuu forums of how they wish Super could just go to Funimation Now so they don't have to put up with Toonami's slow schedule. Apparently they've dubbed up to the Goku Black arc and they think it's Toonami's fault they can't see those yet. Plus they are praying that Funimation starts simuldubbing the current episodes and just putting them online as well. Little do they know TOEI

Well the guys running Toonami only know about major franchises like Gundam/DBZ/Tenchi. They assumed Super would be a huge hit. What they got instead, was a low quality, poorly animated, blatant cash grab with a nonexistent plot that doesn't even appeal to the people that liked DBZ in the first place. It has horrible retention and not only that, I think it actually has hurt Kai's ratings by making people sick of DB in general.

Basically they got tricked into getting GXP'ed... again. Still waiting on Tenchi Muyo War on Geminar.

Oh and they probably sunk a fuckload of cash into getting it, which means they haven't got anything left over to get anything new. Not to mention it's already past the 100 episode mark, and will probably go for at least another 100.

For everything else they're just recruiting anime off a tumblr poll that no one uses.

So no one should be shocked that the ratings are doing a swan dive.

Well the guys running Toonami only know about major franchises like Gundam/DBZ/Tenchi. They assumed Super would be a huge hit. What they got instead, was a low quality, poorly animated, blatant cash grab with a nonexistent plot that doesn't even appeal to the people that liked DBZ in the first place. It has horrible retention and not only that, I think it actually has hurt Kai's ratings by making people sick of DB in general.

Basically they got tricked into getting GXP'ed... again. Still waiting on Tenchi Muyo War on Geminar.

Oh and they probably sunk a fuckload of cash into getting it, which means they haven't got anything left over to get anything new. Not to mention it's already past the 100 episode mark, and will probably go for at least another 100.

For everything else they're just recruiting anime off a tumblr poll that no one uses.

So no one should be shocked that the ratings are doing a swan dive.

Well I mostly meant the timeslot thing, but you're not wrong about Supers quality either!

There needs to be a better way of picking shows. Maybe these ratings will tell them something. Please no Mob, MHA, or Fairy Tail. It's too late for those shows and the majority of people who wanted to see them have already. I'm sure Ghoul was on the request list for about 2 years when it was picked up. It probably would've done great then. But now it's too late. They really need to get something that is on the verge of becoming popular in Japan before the US has already streamed it to death.

Well I mostly meant the timeslot thing, but you're not wrong about Supers quality either!

There needs to be a better way of picking shows. Maybe these ratings will tell them something. Please no Mob, MHA, or Fairy Tail. It's too late for those shows and the majority of people who wanted to see them have already. I'm sure Ghoul was on the request list for about 2 years when it was picked up. It probably would've done great then. But now it's too late. They really need to get something that is on the verge of becoming popular in Japan before the US has already streamed it to death.

I'd still pick up all 3 of those shows in a second. MHA is the hottest thing out there right now. But that ship has sailed already, they got beaten to the punch. FT is old as hell at this point but it looks good and isn't hard to follow.  And Mob is from what.. 2016? That's still pretty new.

I'm pretty sure Freezing could probably beat every show on Toonami in the ratings at this point.

JoJo might take another break but I can't see Diamond Is Unbreakable (Part 4) not coming sometime. And we'll just get a new Gundam show at some point too. Probably won't be occupying the Midnight Hour like they will be in October though. Maybe DIU does better than Stardust Crusaders though?

Kai you are right about though. It could get another rerun in a later timeslot (hell, if Toonami goes long all the way to 6 AM again, it would work great there), but it won't get 11:30/Midnight again in reruns.

The Stardust Crusaders anime actually took a break halfway through, and I feel like the Toonami broadcast could copy that. In fact, maybe that's how you fit FLCL 2 in.

Well, numbers are in, and while total viewers went down for some shows, all key demographics improved!!

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-8-19-2017.html

Final-Cable-2017-Aug-19.SAT_.png

8/19/2017 Dragon Ball Super (8:30) #6 (-1)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.46

Estimated 18-34 - 313,000 ( 35.21% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.37

Estimated 18-49 - 474,000 ( 53.32% )

Total Viewers - 889,000

8/19/2017 DBZ Kai: Final Chapters #4 (STEADY)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.51

Estimated 18-34 - 347,000 ( 42.21% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.41

Estimated 18-49 - 526,000 ( 63.99% )

Total Viewers - 822,000

8/19/2017 JJBA: Stardust Crusaders - #7 (+1)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.46

Estimated 18-34 - 313,000 ( 45.56% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.35

Estimated 18-49 - 449,000 ( 65.36% )

Total Viewers - 687,000

8/19/2017 Tokyo Ghoul - #9 (+12)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.43

Estimated 18-34 - 292,000 ( 45.84% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.32

Estimated 18-49 - 410,000 ( 64.36% )

Total Viewers - 637,000

8/19/2017 Lupin the 3rd - #24 (+34)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.32

Estimated 18-34 - 217,000 ( 42.72% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.24

Estimated 18-49 - 308,000 ( 60.63% )

Total Viewers - 508,000

Believe it or not, that's a new high in Adults 18-49 for Stardust Crusaders! And Lupin managed to climb back over 300K at a time when it sorely needed it!!

Somewhat related news: According to the backdoor schedule it looks like the DBZ KAI Marathon will only feature 8 episodes.

Attack on Titan will still run at 3:00 with Jack at 3:30.

I think its plausible that the following week they double up on Titan in preparation for the annual loss of the 8pm hour. I'm predicting that we lose a slot and the block shifts down a half hour after that's done (the other lost slot being the 2nd Super rerun). We lost 8pm on October 1 last year so I think tis safe too assume we will at this point as well. We'll see and I hope I'm wrong, but we may have just expanded briefly in order for them to get their money out of Titan Season 2.

EDIT:  After making a mock schedule, there's still the matter of what they do with one more slot (Jacks old slot). Maybe my theory is completely off base. I am really curious to see what ends up happening to Toonami once we do lose that hour though!

Boruto will probably come here eventually, which i goddamn fear. I wanted Naruto to goddamn end fuckin 10 years ago, but every time I saw an opening for it to, it never did!!!

Boruto will probably come here eventually, which i goddamn fear. I wanted Naruto to goddamn end fuckin 10 years ago, but every time I saw an opening for it to, it never did!!!

I have a feeling that Shippuden is going away after Pain. I don't know why I think this but if they are ever going to clear the deck for new stuff then they have to take something away, especially something that is years behind the dub releases and stands little chance of finishing on the block. I also think they want Boruto and unlike the Dragonball situation will probably not want 2 Naruto franchises on the block.

If they go past Pain then there isn't really a good stopping point after that.

Looks like the big death drop is gonna be next week.

Holy shit the block is gonna tank next week.

I don't believe it will hurt it as bad as you think it will. I think it's down to its core right now. Plus, this IS a PPV. Live cable events seem to hurt worse. But I believe Live PD will get utterly trashed and college football will just keep the beatings coming.

Wow, AOT still airing? I didn't see that coming!! If the status quo remains, then that would put it ending Oct. 14 and that slot opening up Oct. 21. I would have hoped we wouldn't lose 8 PM hour to the TTGo Network but that strange development seems to indicate we will. I'd say it's probable that Super premieres continue at 9 PM, with Toonami starting once again at 11:30. I just hate that Toonami can't seem to keep a consistent schedule these days because that's what it takes to build ratings.

Still, this would be my "as consistent as possible" arrangement for Oct. 7:

11:30 DBS

12 AM DBZKFC

12:30 Gundam IBO

1 AM Hunter × Hunter

1:30 JJBA: SC

2 AM Shippuden

2:30 Outlaw Star

3 AM Lupin the 3rd

3:30 Rerun TBD

This way, Gundam would directly replace Ghoul, and the 3 best performers that aren't DBZ (assuming pre-emptively based on impressive trending for Outlaw Star) would get to keep their timeslots. JoJo and Lupin would be the only two shows dropping considerably.

Then again, I don't really think that's going to happen, and I have no qualms with Greed Island Arc of H×H ending up back at 1:30.

• Raptorpat unpinned and locked this topic