UnevenEdge

The Toonami Ratings Thread 1.0 :You are on a new board

StarPanda

I think they need to do away with the 11 pm hour entirely, and start Toonami at midnight. LivePD ends at midnight on live coverage, so FG running at 11-12 would be enough to set the table, maybe with R&M at 11:30, then start with Kai and

follow with Super if they cannot premiere super at midnight.

Something like this:

12:00 - DBZ Kai

12:30 - Super

1:00 -  TG (or whatever replaces it I'd guess IBO S2)

1:30 -  HxH

2:00 - JJBA

2:30 - Lupin IIII

3:00 - GItS

3:30 - AoT

Paring it down and putting it where it isn't facing stiff competition, because the current programme line-up is simply not strong enough. If they get new material that really can stand up, then consider moving it back to 11:30.

I think they need to do away with the 11 pm hour entirely, and start Toonami at midnight. LivePD ends at midnight on live coverage, so FG running at 11-12 would be enough to set the table, maybe with R&M at 11:30, then start with Kai and

follow with Super if they cannot premiere super at midnight.

Something like this:

12:00 - DBZ Kai

12:30 - Super

1:00 -  TG (or whatever replaces it I'd guess IBO S2)

1:30 -  HxH

2:00 - JJBA

2:30 - Lupin IIII

3:00 - GItS

3:30 - AoT

Paring it down and putting it where it isn't facing stiff competition, because the current programme line-up is simply not strong enough. If they get new material that really can stand up, then consider moving it back to 11:30.

This is why Toonami did better in 2015/early 2016. 11pm is too competitive plus Family Guy always does better at 11.

So I guess I'll put in my $0.02 here.

I am personally starting to think that this really is an issue about the block losing its popularity. Suite twenty yen here:a bit of this comes from seeing Rick and Morty's popularity get higher than ever before. The show trended on Twitter at arguably peak hours, holding its own against Game of Thrones and the rest of the "cool geek TV" programs. And it rated insane: If you didn't realize it, the season premiere was the most watched new episode (and probably the most-watched thing period) on [adult swim] since The Boondocks in 2014. Meanwhile, Toonami's numbers and trending capacity have become flaccid, and I'm actually not sure what the problem is, but I have a few hunches.

Things have gotten so bad that not even freaking Family Guy can get over a million viewers. I do think part if it comes from the show being ran into the ground, but this progression happened so quickly that there has to be another cause. So maybe Live PD really is eating into [as]' space as a whole. It commands so much of that airspace as to be obvious. However, I don't know what typical FG viewers would want to get out of that show, which makes its dominance somewhat strange. Maybe politics have something to do with it all. But I won't dare talk about that, since I could start a flame war. |::

I do think the trending is important to look at. Shows only seem to come up for a few minutes at a time, maybe a whole slot now and then, but they never stick. Other than Samurai Jack and characters from it, I can't remember the last time anything from the block trended worldwide. It's always just the US nowadays. They also don't even make it to the Top 10 too often (which is all the browser client sees). I just don't see much enthusiasm in the block, even with shows like Lupin and JoJo's Part 3 coming in. Is this because Toonami isn't getting popular enough shows? Honestly, that's tempting to believe.

You may not have liked shows such as Sword Art Online and Akame ga Kill!, but they brought lots of casual anime viewers in who otherwise don't bother with such shows. JoJo's and friends are liked by anime fans, but not the casuals. Have there been any such shows to get that vaunted demographic? Well... gay figure skaters, for one, but that's not really a good fit for the block. I actually think a lot of this has to do with how splintered the industry has become. Anime Strike plays a huge rule in this, since they lock shows behind what amounts to $15 a month and the quality of their streams can be pretty bad (Welcome to the Ballroom had mistimed subtitles on the first episode!). Then you have Netflix and Sentai Filmworks getting shows for themselves through their new HIDIVE service. You have to think that not being a part of the Funiroll/VRV network is a major drawback to a show's success, but I think they brought this upon themselves to an extent.

But you know, a lot of these things aren't even Toonami's fault. They certainly don't care about whatever the other major media corporations are doing, and there's not much they could do to combat them anyway. Which is why, and this is going to seem like a huge letdown after that wall of text... don't worry about the ratings. Toonami won't be cancelled as soon as things go south. They'll probably shrink back to 3 hours or so and return to a midnight starting time if they're in danger. So just continue to watch the block and tell your friends about it, because that's what we've always done. Also, I own a Toonami T-shirt to help with the advertising effort. :P

Part of it is that I think Family Guy cycled back to Season 1. Which we've all seen 500000 times or more. Back before the show really found its footing and  the animation looked like crap.

But if you have a solid block, should you really need to rely on Family Guy to bring in viewers?

The lead show is Super. Toonami is basically saying.....this is our best and hottest show.  Anyone buying that? =P

And maybe their April fools Rick and Morty stunt paid off? =)

The lead show is Super. Toonami is basically saying.....this is our best and hottest show.  Anyone buying that? =P

Correction: "Our best and hottest show that we premiere at 8 PM BEFORE the block because WHO CARES about us, right?!?!!?!?!?"

I seen that Family Guy cycled back to Ep 1.  This has been how they broadcasted the reruns for years, and every time that happens, I immediately change the channel.  Godddamn... I was in SCHOOL when Family Guy's second season hit!  I don't need to see Peter slacked on the kitchen table drunk for the umpteenth time!

Now that ratings are lower overall, I'm finding it harder to judge what exactly an "on" night for Toonami is anymore!  The ratings' patterns are changing so quickly now. 

I'll give my own ratings since this is a ratings thread:

Dragon Ball Super- 2/10 (Watched the Beerus episodes and knew it sucked ass, haven't watched it since)

DBZ Kai- 6/10 (The Buu Saga is weak)

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders- 4/10

Tokyo Ghoul- 4/10

Hunter x Hunter- 2/10 (No clue what's going, don't even watch this kiddy nonsense anymore)

Lupin the 3rd- 8/10

Naruto: Shippuden- 5/10

Ghost in the Shell- 2/10

Attack on Titan- 5/10

So that leads to an average rating of 4. I give Toonami a 4. Needs more spice... and better anime... less shonen... adults are TVing.

It's so easy to understand, but so dry in entertainment value. Watching Ghost in the Shell's like reading the business section of a newspaper lol.

Anyway, Adult Swim Toonami has had a few good series such as Hellsing Ultimate, Parasyte, Samurai Jack, and Gundam Unicorn, but you're talking about four or five out of like fifty in five years.

Most people give Ghost in the Shell similar ratings. It's just far too boring and convoluted.

Even if it's about what most people think, Stand Alone Complex has a higher rating than any of the idk.....dozen and a half Gundam series' on MAL

It's so easy to understand, but so dry in entertainment value. Watching Ghost in the Shell's like reading the business section of a newspaper lol.

Anyway, Adult Swim Toonami has had a few good series such as Hellsing Ultimate, Parasyte, Samurai Jack, and Gundam Unicorn, but you're talking about four or five out of like fifty in five years.

What's ironic is as much garbage as you spew, I too believe all 4 of those were fantastic!

So I guess I'll put in my $0.02 here.

I am personally starting to think that this really is an issue about the block losing its popularity. Suite twenty yen here:a bit of this comes from seeing Rick and Morty's popularity get higher than ever before. The show trended on Twitter at arguably peak hours, holding its own against Game of Thrones and the rest of the "cool geek TV" programs. And it rated insane: If you didn't realize it, the season premiere was the most watched new episode (and probably the most-watched thing period) on [adult swim] since The Boondocks in 2014. Meanwhile, Toonami's numbers and trending capacity have become flaccid, and I'm actually not sure what the problem is, but I have a few hunches.

Things have gotten so bad that not even freaking Family Guy can get over a million viewers. I do think part if it comes from the show being ran into the ground, but this progression happened so quickly that there has to be another cause. So maybe Live PD really is eating into [as]' space as a whole. It commands so much of that airspace as to be obvious. However, I don't know what typical FG viewers would want to get out of that show, which makes its dominance somewhat strange. Maybe politics have something to do with it all. But I won't dare talk about that, since I could start a flame war. |::

I do think the trending is important to look at. Shows only seem to come up for a few minutes at a time, maybe a whole slot now and then, but they never stick. Other than Samurai Jack and characters from it, I can't remember the last time anything from the block trended worldwide. It's always just the US nowadays. They also don't even make it to the Top 10 too often (which is all the browser client sees). I just don't see much enthusiasm in the block, even with shows like Lupin and JoJo's Part 3 coming in. Is this because Toonami isn't getting popular enough shows? Honestly, that's tempting to believe.

You may not have liked shows such as Sword Art Online and Akame ga Kill!, but they brought lots of casual anime viewers in who otherwise don't bother with such shows. JoJo's and friends are liked by anime fans, but not the casuals. Have there been any such shows to get that vaunted demographic? Well... gay figure skaters, for one, but that's not really a good fit for the block. I actually think a lot of this has to do with how splintered the industry has become. Anime Strike plays a huge rule in this, since they lock shows behind what amounts to $15 a month and the quality of their streams can be pretty bad (Welcome to the Ballroom had mistimed subtitles on the first episode!). Then you have Netflix and Sentai Filmworks getting shows for themselves through their new HIDIVE service. You have to think that not being a part of the Funiroll/VRV network is a major drawback to a show's success, but I think they brought this upon themselves to an extent.

But you know, a lot of these things aren't even Toonami's fault. They certainly don't care about whatever the other major media corporations are doing, and there's not much they could do to combat them anyway. Which is why, and this is going to seem like a huge letdown after that wall of text... don't worry about the ratings. Toonami won't be cancelled as soon as things go south. They'll probably shrink back to 3 hours or so and return to a midnight starting time if they're in danger. So just continue to watch the block and tell your friends about it, because that's what we've always done. Also, I own a Toonami T-shirt to help with the advertising effort. :P

Well said!

Dragonball aside, the block right now has a lot of niche content that the crew personally likes but isn't a hit with casual viewers. They need to find shows that hit well with non anime fans both male  and female. 2015 had those types of shows. Right now we have a bit of a boys club of niche content. I do suspect also that our once popular lead in, Family Guy, is losing steam.

Other things that were popular such as Ghoul have past their hype time but may have done really well 2 years ago. That is definitely back if the block content not 12:30 material.

Yeah, I agree with pretty much everything that's been said.  Increased competition, overall decline in [as] ratings, and  a lack of interest in the block are all leading to the lower ratings.  Blatch said it best: not much to do other than not worry about the raings and try to get people to watch.

This is why Toonami did better in 2015/early 2016. 11pm is too competitive plus Family Guy always does better at 11.

FG is only going to exceed at 11 PM if it's lead-in doesn't crater the ratings before it. One of the reasons they moved it into primetime is because none of the other AS originals aside from Rick and Morty do well in the 9 or 10 PM hour.

This idea works if they have other Fox shows like Bob's Burgers and American Dad at 9 PM and 10 PM, but it looks like they can't air those shows there right now, possibly because all their allotted airings for those series are tied up on weekdays and Sunday.

FG is only going to exceed at 11 PM if it's lead-in doesn't crater the ratings before it. One of the reasons they moved it into primetime is because none of the other AS originals aside from Rick and Morty do well in the 9 or 10 PM hour.

This idea works if they have other Fox shows like Bob's Burgers and American Dad at 9 PM and 10 PM, but it looks like they can't air those shows there right now, possibly because all their allotted airings for those series are tied up on weekdays and Sunday.

Ideally they'd run Dad at 10 and FG at 11. That's what we had for most of 2015. Seems strange they all of a sudden can't. There isn't more on weekdays than there usually is.

Wow, the value of a ratings point in 18-34 has increased a LOT since then! Used to be that a 0.9 was akin to 414K, but in 2011, it was calculated to be more like a 0.6 for 410K. So extrapolating that, it may be that the 18-34 ratings are better now than I thought. I doubt they have changed THAT much in the past two years, but the last time I calibrated my 18-34 estimates was Spring 2015. Then 679,600 viewers was one ratings point, but now it could be over 700K! At any rate, a 0.6 in 18-34 in 2015 was about 408K.

Wow, the value of a ratings point in 18-34 has increased a LOT since then! Used to be that a 0.9 was akin to 414K, but in 2011, it was calculated to be more like a 0.6 for 410K. So extrapolating that, it may be that the 18-34 ratings are better now than I thought. I doubt they have changed THAT much in the past two years, but the last time I calibrated my 18-34 estimates was Spring 2015. Then 679,600 viewers was one ratings point, but now it could be over 700K! At any rate, a 0.6 in 18-34 in 2015 was about 408K.

What exactly is a ratings point for 18-34 this year and where would you get that information.

A youtube vid just came out today about this.

Clearly unscripted, with poor sound quality, of a guy just talking out of his own emotions with a ton of hesitations, who thinks that it was Naruto filler that killed the block.

Yeah not listening any further.

He also wants to move Kai down like 3 spots, which I think is nuts. But it's nice to get different opinions.

It's funny that even though his solutions are different he comes to the same conclusion, that Super is a problem and not giving AOT a better time slot was stupid.

Super is only a problem because it's not premiering during Toonami. But at least during Countdown, there will be a good reason to watch it.

AOT S2 should have had Midnight from episode 6 (#31) onward. Or maybe even 11:30. But I think JoJo is about right at midnight even if its numbers are low. But hopefully they'll increase slightly this week. Having new-ish episodes of Rick & Morty at 9 and 9:30 should help out a bit.

Well, it's looking like [as] still doesn't give a shit about advertising Toonami during Rick & Morty. Sad!

Looks like we are back to the "We only promote things that are already doing well " school of thought. What is this, ASA? The way they see it is that if something isn't doing great, the last thing you want to do is sink more money into it. Self fufilling profecy because the less you promote something the worse it'll do. JJBASC really needed more promotion than it got to drive home that this wasn't the same Jojo as before. Demarco thinks they ran the promo 2 weeks out, but I don't think it did. At a minimum, the current lineup promo should always be running.

Of course we saw a Rick and Morty promo during every break of Toonami last night. Like that show needs more help.

• Raptorpat unpinned and locked this topic