UnevenEdge

The Toonami Ratings Thread 1.0 :You are on a new board

StarPanda

Toonami's getting the exact same ratings in the 18-34 demographic that ASA got throughout its ten year history. There was clearly discord for years at Williams Street in terms of how it wanted to handle anime, especially when ASA became assimilated into Adult Swim proper in the black & white bump era. I always felt there was a faction that wanted to keep let ASA keep its own spot (the ones who made it all anime when ASA Saturdays were revived in 2004), and a faction that wanted to assimilate action and comedy under the AS brand, sparking comedy lead-ins on Saturday starting with Futurama in '04, followed by Family Guy and The Boondocks in later years, thus causing loyal ASA and anime fans to riot and rebel against the evil comedy invasion.

Toonami has the luxury of being guaranteed its timeslots because of all the packaging and money that goes into producing it, and it runs in an age when AS doesn't have three or four relatively fresh, mega comedy series that get ratings that threaten its existence, and yet it still doesn't perform better than ASA did because of the laughable quality of many of its series (and the list of duds is quite extensive). Look at that! Ghost in the Shell, being rerun for the millionth time, is getting better ratings than One-Punch Man, a Toonami original acquisition, did in the same slot. Anime people know what the game's all about. You're not going to trick non-children into thinking Hunter x Hunter, One  Piece, and Naruto: Shippuden are good.

If Toonami is currently getting the same numbers as ASA did, and ASA had really good lead ins, and Toonami does NOT have a good lead in (remember, Family Guy has been pretty down recently), wouldn't that mean that in the grand scheme of things, Toonami is actually doing really good for itself?

Also GITS is getting worse ratings.

Because it's old.  And overrated.  And the movie is going to be a shitpile.

I don't understand the love for GITS any more than peoples love for HxH. The guys running this make a big deal about how every single show has to be action.... then put a show on that's 3 minutes of action and 20 minutes of political and conspiracy discourse.

From the reviews I've read SAC isn't even regarded as the best of the series.

And there's no way the movie will not be an Aeon Flux style train wreck. There is no way it will even have a coherent plot.

i don't understand how people can expect toonami to achieve the high numbers it used to while adult swim is no longer getting the high numbers it used to. it's almost like there's a connection or something.

Because they attract fundamentally different audiences. Sure there's some crossover between fans, but generally a large portion of the people who watch Adult Swim aren't longtime cartoon/animation fans and many of them don't care for anime. Toonami's audience is generally made up of lifelong anime fans who are cultured and appreciative of many different forms of animation. Thus, there will always be a drop-off when you transition from a comedy cartoon to an anime on AS because the ignorant portion of the comedy fanbase won't even consider watching Toonami and might end up doing cheap club drugs at a local spot while getting carried out by a bouncer instead.

Because they attract fundamentally different audiences. Sure there's some crossover between fans, but generally a large portion of the people who watch Adult Swim aren't longtime cartoon/animation fans and many of them don't care for anime. Toonami's audience is generally made up of lifelong anime fans who are cultured and appreciative of many different forms of animation. Thus, there will always be a drop-off when you transition from a comedy cartoon to an anime on AS because the ignorant portion of the comedy fanbase won't even consider watching Toonami and might end up doing cheap club drugs at a local spot while getting carried out by a bouncer instead.

oh i'm sure. and i guess that's why there was a direct connection between as proper and toonami's ratings, right? i understand that there will always be a drop from comedy to action ratings, however the retention between family guy lead-ins and DBZ hasn't really changed at all. the only thing that has changed is adult swim's total viewership on saturday nights. as comedy and toonami both reflect that, so blaming it on toonami's "poor lineup" is honestly rather silly. (albeit there seem to be a few problems within the block, but hey)

The majority of the people who tune in for Toonami aren't the dedicated audience. The dedicated audience makes up maybe 1/3rd to a half of the audience the later the night gets. Toonami doesn't exist in a bubble. The casual audience is easily affected by how well comedy does in the hours leading up to Toonami and the casual audience is the difference between the 12:30 show getting 0.4 18-49 and 0.5 18-49. The further it is away from Family Guy the harder it is for the 12:30 show to do better than a 0.4 18-49. And if Family Guy can only manage 0.6 18-49 that night then even a Dragon Ball series probably wont get 0.6 following it but DBs retention following Family Guy is some of the best of any show airing on Adult Swim.

Relative to the rest of cable, Toonami is doing well but cable is waaaay down from last year and Adult Swim in particular is between 15 and 19 percent down from last year despite remaining the top rated network with 18-49 in total day ratings.

I dunno, I like having my Saturday nights free.  Usually, TV is what I do when I don't have other stuff to do.  A half hour here, 45 minutes there, etc.

The way people watch television has fundamentally changed from 15, 10, or even 5 years ago.

I dunno, I like having my Saturday nights free.  Usually, TV is what I do when I don't have other stuff to do.  A half hour here, 45 minutes there, etc.

The way people watch television has fundamentally changed from 15, 10, or even 5 years ago.

Half the time I do go out, but I grab it all on the DVR (at least from Super to HxH) and watch it in one sitting after I come home at 2 or 3am

Well, because President's Day holiday was yesterday, looks like we may not find out until tomorrow!

And that was true, but what's also true is that trending rocked again this past weekend!

http://toonamifaithful.com/toonami-trending-rundown-for-february-18-19-2017/

United States Trends:

Toonami/#Toonami [#2]

#DragonBallSuper (Also during the primetime presentation) [#1]

#SamuraiJack [#6]

#DBZKai [#1]

#JoJosBizarreAdventure [#1]

#GundamUnicorn [#1]

#HunterXHunter [#1]

#Shippuden [#1]

#OnePiece [#1]

#GhostInTheShell [#1]

Worldwide Trends:

#DragonBallSuper [#9]

#DBZKai [#9]

#JoJosBizarreAdventure [#9]

#GundamUnicorn [#8]

#HunterXHunter [#8]

#Shippuden [#8]

#OnePiece [#8]

#GhostInTheShell [#8]

Tweet Counts:

#Toonami [3,989 tweets]

#DragonBallSuper [5,674 tweets]

Bulma (From Dragon Ball Super) [2,554 tweets]

#DBZKai [1,834 tweets]

#JoJosBizarreAdventure [2,086 tweets]

#HunterXHunter [1,966 tweets]

#OnePiece [5,920 tweets]

Yes, the One Piece character trend streak is over, but EVERY SHOW trended WORLDWIDE. Not sure if that's EVER happened before!

Well...

Final-Cable-2017-Feb-18.SAT_.png

2/18/2017 Dragon Ball Super (8 PM) - #15

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.41

Estimated 18-34 - 279,000 ( 29.74% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.35

Estimated 18-49 - 449,000 ( 47.87% )

Total Viewers - 938,000

2/18/2017 DBZ Kai: Final Chapters - #6

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.64

Estimated 18-34 - 435,000 ( 43.37% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.49

Estimated 18-49 - 628,000 ( 62.61% )

Total Viewers - 1,003,000

2/18/2017 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - #13

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.5

Estimated 18-34 - 340,000 ( 44.21% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.37

Estimated 18-49 - 474,000 ( 61.64% )

Total Viewers - 769,000

2/18/2017 Gundam Unicorn - #21

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.42

Estimated 18-34 - 285,000 ( 46.12% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.31

Estimated 18-49 - 397,000 ( 64.24% )

Total Viewers - 618,000

DBS premiere actually did pretty good, but as for Toonami...

c4jt321.png

Oh shit, look at those drops.  620K by 1:30 is never a good night.

There had to have been something else going on this weekend.

Yeah like I said, free HBO and like 20 other premium channels.  I watched tons of terrible movies all weekend. Batman V Superman!

Yeah like I said, free HBO and like 20 other premium channels.  I watched tons of terrible movies all weekend. Batman V Superman!

That might have done it.

Of course it shouldn't matter much.  We all know that ratings don't really mean a whole lot to the Toonami crew, so this shouldn't be something to be bothered about.

This isn't the first time this sort of thing has happened, it won't be the last time either.

You had NBA All-Star and the every premium movie channel preview. It isn't like Toonami was the only game in town and people tuned out.

I suspect these ratings were a more accurate reflection of the dedicated, consistent Toonami viewer, as opposed to the casual audience which also tunes in.

That or Jojo is failing.

I'm expecting either a huge schedule overhaul or Demarco apologizing for something in the coming weeks. I'm not saying it'll happen, just that it's expectant at this point.

The only thing he could apologize for would be his past smugness and general lack of not doing enough shit as a celebrity causing Republicans to get elected. ::spin::

I think it's clear that trending matters a bit more than ratings at this point, and while ratings have been 2014-ish levels of suck, trending has been absolutely stellar! That being said, I have faith that Samurai Jack's 11 PM hype will turn things around back to 2015-ish levels for a couple of months at least.

Oh, and UPDATE:

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-2-18-2017.html

Yep, Hunter × Hunter and Naruto Shippuden either outrated or tied Gundam Unicorn. Given how awesome Unicorn is, that makes me cry a little inside!

Shit that looks old in general is failing.

Which is sad, because I like old-looking shit.

I'd say shit that isn't DRAGONBALL and the occasional hot new anime series is failing.....on tv anyway.

Still.... so much for Super bringing up Toonami ratings. Lmao.

CAN-CEL ONE PIECE!

*clap clap clap clap clap*

One Piece isn't worthy of cancelling, especially when they would probably just replace it with Cowboy Bebop in HD.

I'm hoping for the 8 PM DBS to become a rerun.  I don't know how much that will help Toonami, but it's worth a shot.

I guess it goes to show that even most of the popularity for Dragon Ball Z was simply from nostalgia. 

One Piece isn't worthy of cancelling, especially when they would probably just replace it with Cowboy Bebop in HD.

I'm hoping for the 8 PM DBS to become a rerun.  I don't know how much that will help Toonami, but it's worth a shot.

I guess it goes to show that even most of the popularity for Dragon Ball Z was simply from nostalgia.

Nostalgia really is terrible.

• Raptorpat unpinned and locked this topic