UnevenEdge

New FLCL set for summer

korosu

Adult Swim/Toonami Presents: FLCL
Join panelists Jason DeMarco (Adult Swim/Toonami), Maki Terashima-Furuta (Production IG), Mitsuhisa Ishikawa (Production IG) & Kari Wahlgren (FLCL, Rick and Morty) for a discussion and special sneak preview of two highly anticipated NEW seasons of FLCL premiering this summer: FLCL Progressive and FLCL Alternative, co produced by Adult Swim/Toonami and Production IG.

http://www.c2e2.com/Events/Panels-And-Screenings/Panel-Highlights/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It sounds like the most unnecessary sequel ever made, and with most of the crew that made it going off to Trigger, I feel like it won't have the same spark that made the old series as great as it was.

But I might as well give it a shot to see how it fares in comparison to what Gainax came up with all those years ago. Gainax is very different from how it was before, so there could be a new wave of animators from there that were just as imaginative as the ones in Trigger now.

The itchy fingers they might have from EVA 4.0 being put on-hold for so long could help them go crazy with it if it isn't just us Americans throwing money at them to make it happen instead of it coming about naturally.

Edited by imchapp.in
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, imchapp.in said:

It sounds like the most unnecessary sequel ever made, and with most of the crew that made it going off to Trigger, I feel like it won't have the same spark that made the old series as great as it was.

But I might as well give it a shot to see how it fares in comparison to what Gainax came up with all those years ago. Gainax is very different from how it was before, so many there could be a new wave of animators from there that were just as imaginative as the ones in Trigger now.

The itchy fingers they might have from EVA 4.0 being put on-hold for so long could help them go crazy with it if it isn't just us Americans throwing money at them to make it happen instead of it coming about naturally.

I honestly didn't realize Gainax was still around. I'd thought they went out of business shortly before Trigger started - "triggering" the creation, so to speak.

Looking at their current projects, I guess it's not too unreasonable of an assumption. Rebuild is basically the only big thing they still having going on and they haven't had a TV anime for a couple years.

Edited by naraku360

12 minutes ago, imchapp.in said:

But I might as well give it a shot to see how it fares in comparison to what Gainax came up with all those years ago. Gainax is very different from how it was before, so many there could be a new wave of animators from there that were just as imaginative as the ones in Trigger now.

Yeah I mean.... there's almost zero demand for this sequel. That's the first worrying thing. It's also from the year 2000. It's old. A lot of viewers weren't even born when this came out. 

It just seems to be in keeping with Toonami's philosophy of trying to recapture their old glory with old shows/ old franchises.

• Like 1

Well, okay then. I think FLCL: Neoliberal would work better as the other title, though. :P

With a seeming Summer premiere date, maybe they could run the first new season right after DBZ Kai ends? And that would make for a perfect segue into Attack on Titan S3.

4 hours ago, korosu said:

Adult Swim/Toonami Presents: FLCL
Join panelists Jason DeMarco (Adult Swim/Toonami), Maki Terashima-Furuta (Production IG), Mitsuhisa Ishikawa (Production IG) & Kari Wahlgren (FLCL, Rick and Morty) for a discussion and special sneak preview of two highly anticipated NEW seasons of FLCL premiering this summer: FLCL Progressive and FLCL Alternative, co produced by Adult Swim/Toonami and Production IG.

http://www.c2e2.com/Events/Panels-And-Screenings/Panel-Highlights/

YERSH!!!

I wanna go to C2E2 now.

2 hours ago, Blatch said:

Well, okay then. I think FLCL: Neoliberal would work better as the other title, though. :P

With a seeming Summer premiere date, maybe they could run the first new season right after DBZ Kai ends? And that would make for a perfect segue into Attack on Titan S3.

I don't think there's enough time between DBZ Kai's end and AOTS3 to squeeze in FLCL.

Hence, it will likely be an expansion show. Or, maybe AOTS3 will? But one thing's for certain: AOTS3 almost NEEDS to be a Space Dandy-style World Premiere...or maybe it doesn't, because FLCL certainly will be. So yeah, why not? AOTS3 can piss everyone off by following FLCL in August or something.

Also, depending on where in the "Summer" FLCL2 airs, we either will have a marathon on June 30th or July 7th or we won't. But I guess this is almost proof positive that there WON'T be a marathon and FLCL2 likely premieres June 2nd and finishes July 7th.

But I guess we'll see...

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Blatch said:

Progressive and Alternative are also styles of Rock Music

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, imchapp.in said:

It's supposed to be the same creator/writer though.  They couldn't make it at Trigger due to rights issues I assume?

9 hours ago, Daos said:

Yeah I mean.... there's almost zero demand for this sequel. That's the first worrying thing. It's also from the year 2000. It's old. A lot of viewers weren't even born when this came out. 

It just seems to be in keeping with Toonami's philosophy of trying to recapture their old glory with old shows/ old franchises.

Demarco kept asking the creator if he wanted to make more, and he kept saying no.  This time he said yes for some reason.  Yeah, they really are stuck in the past.

1 hour ago, ben0119 said:

Demarco kept asking the creator if he wanted to make more, and he kept saying no.  This time he said yes for some reason.

Actually, here's how things went. Demarco asked GAINAX, one of FLCL's original producers, to make the sequel and they said no. After the rights reverted to Production I.G, the other producer, he asked them, and they said yes.

GAINAX said no. Production I.G said yes. Two different entities. Do you get it now?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Actually, here's how things went. Demarco asked GAINAX, one of FLCL's original producers, to make the sequel and they said no. After the rights reverted to Production I.G, the other producer, he asked them, and they said yes.

GAINAX said no. Production I.G said yes. Two different entities. Do you get it now?

Oh ok.  But pretty sure Demarco had said he had asked them repeatedly over the years about it.  So this is part of the reason why they would make it now.

Edited by ben0119

I can believe him asking repeatedly about it, because that's Demarco for ya. :D

Fair thoughts about FLCL 2/Progressive: while I believe the first FLCL is perfect as is, I don't really see the harm in making a second or a third. That is, under the assumption that it's being used as a training ground for established and up-and-coming animators to go wild and develop their style like with Space Dandy or even the original FLCL, though we all know the latter was primarily a pick-me-up for the animators working on End of Evangelion. I'm going into it viewing it not as a strict sequel series like most everyone else is assuming it is, but as a FLCL for a new generation that's only using the FLCL name and universe as a way to avoid being seen as a complete rip-off. I'd imagine Production I.G was thinking that way when Demarco asked them about the sequel, while GAINAX just focused on Naota's story and just Naota's story, believing that's all FLCL was about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yup!

Yeah it's perfect and no need for more.  It's like making a sequel to Cowboy Bebop (don't give them any ideas.)  Well given there is a new protagonist, I'd say this is more of a spin-off or next generation type thing.  We could think of it like the JoJo arcs.  So it should be better that way.  Like you said, Naota's story was pretty much told, but perhaps other stories could be explored, and as you said, a good place for animators to go crazy.  Yeah that's probably what Production I.G. and Gainax thought respectively.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2018 at 7:46 AM, PokeNirvash said:

I can believe him asking repeatedly about it, because that's Demarco for ya. :D

Fair thoughts about FLCL 2/Progressive: while I believe the first FLCL is perfect as is, I don't really see the harm in making a second or a third. That is, under the assumption that it's being used as a training ground for established and up-and-coming animators to go wild and develop their style like with Space Dandy or even the original FLCL, though we all know the latter was primarily a pick-me-up for the animators working on End of Evangelion. I'm going into it viewing it not as a strict sequel series like most everyone else is assuming it is, but as a FLCL for a new generation that's only using the FLCL name and universe as a way to avoid being seen as a complete rip-off. I'd imagine Production I.G was thinking that way when Demarco asked them about the sequel, while GAINAX just focused on Naota's story and just Naota's story, believing that's all FLCL was about.

Looking at it like that makes me seem a little more optimistic for it, so thanks for thr viewpoint.

I definitely feel both new seasons of FLCL are unnecessary, but thinking of it through this viewpoint makes me a bit more accepting of them.