UnevenEdge

Black Clover Episode 1 "Asta and Yuno" Discussion!!

i was ready to write this off, but i'm a guy who can forgive cliches if they arent handled too badly.

if wizard king is the name of the magic knights leader and not the country's rules, then that seems okay. they should have called it something other than "king" then, though. plus, who desn't love "chosen one devil magic"

we'll see, black clover. we'll see. then again, this series gets a lot of hate and that doesn't usuallycome from absolutely nowhere. i guess i'll make up mymind in due time

• Like 2

So, I thought Asta was going to have get creative and fight against magic users with just physical abilities.  The show made a big deal about how much he trains his body.  Buuuut instead he gets the super secret uber hax magic grimoire even more hax than the one Yuno got.  Ok then. :|

Oof.

Yeah, this was pretty damn boring. Usually I like to give a show a chance predicated on the fact that it will be either very good or an entertaining car wreck, but there is absolutely nothing about this show that sways me one way or the other.

14 hours ago, elfie said:

Odd. They cut out all the animation in the ED.

No. No, Elfie. No.

The ending theme was actually the opening theme. And in some cases where the OP airs as the ED for the first episode, the credits scroll over a black screen. I've seen this before.

So no. You're wrong. Stop being wrong.

• Like 2

I will never understand why this community alone is always so narrow-minded, judgmental, nit picky, and ALWAYS wants to psychoanalyze everything and everyone to death.

It's like barely no one here knows how to be open-minded and enjoy something without having to take something out of context to fit their narrative, throw shade, and tantrums about not getting their way about something.

It's ridiculous. You have to realize that everything you like/dislike is NOT what everyone else likes/dislikes. You're not the only viewers watching Adult Swim's programming.

As far as Black Clover goes, I don't see why so many posters are throwing toddler tantrums about every show that doesn't fit their narrative. Judging by the looks of Black Clover, it seems more like a parody of the stereotypical Shonen Jump franchise with some twists.

Watching the premiere last night, it made me think about Bleach, Naruto, and Blue Exorcist except with more satire to it. I don't think they're trying to make Black Clover out to be the next Naruto. Granted, Asta does act similar to Naruto but the protagonist also somewhat reminds me of Rin.

Speaking of Blue Exorcist, I was hoping that Toonami would re-air Season 1 for a recap in its entirety. Then, premiere Season 2.

When you really think about it, the Dragon Ball franchise monopolizes 2 fucking HOURS of Adult Swim on Saturday nights. That's a good 90 minutes wasted watching cartoonishly generic-looking characters with someone screaming "KAMEHAMEHA!!!" Talk about cheesy and lame for adult viewers.

At least with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, it's cheesy and campy on purpose. Also, adults over the age of 30, who know about music genres and sub-genres will catch the retro music references and have a good laugh. The show is meant to be fun.

The same applies to Black Clover. Black Clover seems more like a nod to other characters and shows with satire and a few twists.

If you can watch the Dragon Ball franchise, you can watch Black Clover and some of the other shows that previously aired on the block. You should be glad it's not the God-awful Ikki Tousen. OMG! That's a show I wouldn't want to ever see on TV or online. Trust me.

16 minutes ago, Bad_Witch said:

Personally, I'm looking forward to watching the son of Satan achieve his goal of becoming Wizard King and leading an army through the gates of Hell to overthrow the father who abandoned him....or whatever happens. I'm not picky.

This is refreshing to read. Most of the time, I dread lurking and reading threads around this particular forum because I know there will be mostly negative threads and comments posted around UEMB like how it was on ASMB.

Generally speaking, this community loves to complain for the sake of complaining. I'm a complainer too, but the posters here beat me hands down when it comes to complaining. The constant "I don't like this!" "I don't like that!" is a lot like parents trying to make their bratty child eat their vegetables at the table.

After reading the incessant tantrums and complaints around this board, I now have a migraine headache.

9 hours ago, PurgatoryGirl said:

When you really think about it, the Dragon Ball franchise monopolizes 2 fucking HOURS of Adult Swim on Saturday nights. That's a good 90 minutes wasted watching cartoonishly generic-looking characters with someone screaming "KAMEHAMEHA!!!" Talk about cheesy and lame for adult viewers.

At least with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, it's cheesy and campy on purpose. Also, adults over the age of 30, who know about music genres and sub-genres will catch the retro music references and have a good laugh. The show is meant to be fun.

The same applies to Black Clover. Black Clover seems more like a nod to other characters and shows with satire and a few twists.

If you can watch the Dragon Ball franchise, you can watch Black Clover and some of the other shows that previously aired on the block. You should be glad it's not the God-awful Ikki Tousen. OMG! That's a show I wouldn't want to ever see on TV or online. Trust me.

Not anymore. The 8 PM DB Super Power Hour is gone. So the Dragon Ball franchise only airs for an hour on Saturday nights right now.

So far, I'm digging Black Clover. Magic hasn't really been a thing on Toonami for quite some time (outside of maybe Outlaw Star's Caster Gun), so for a show to enter the fray that is based on it is kinda cool. And I am interested to see where this "demonic possession" thing goes.

I tried to watch Ikki Tousen's first season on Free Hulu back in 2008 or 2009. I felt dirty after watching it!

9 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Not anymore. The 8 PM DB Super Power Hour is gone. So the Dragon Ball franchise only airs for an hour on Saturday nights right now.

So far, I'm digging Black Clover. Magic hasn't really been a thing on Toonami for quite some time (outside of maybe Outlaw Star's Caster Gun), so for a show to enter the fray that is based on it is kinda cool. And I am interested to see where this "demonic possession" thing goes.

I tried to watch Ikki Tousen's first season on Free Hulu back in 2008 or 2009. I felt dirty after watching it!

Still, the fact that the Dragon Ball franchise monopolizes a whole hour over every show on the block is highly unnecessary. That's 30 minutes wasted right there. Another show that's not Dragon Ball could've been in that timeslot.

All those fans still throwing tantrums over One Piece being replaced for Tokyo Ghoul could've still had One Piece had The Toonami Team not given Dragon Ball so much airtime. Had a newer and more popular series than the Dragon Ball franchise acquired 1-2 hours, there would've been a bigger stink.

Considering that Toonami starts late at night, airs mostly perennials, then airs over played shows from nearly 20 years ago, doesn't make every viewer want to watch the block.

Depending on what is airing on Toonami, I only watch 1-3 shows throughout the year. Usually, I have to change the channel for an hour or so because I'm waiting to watch a certain show(s). Toonami is more invested in pandering to fanboys, that cling to their childhood nostalgia.

When Jason DeMarco originally brought back the Toonami block, he claimed it was going to be for a more mature audience and wanted to supposedly "grow up veteran viewers" because Toonami is now on Adult Swim.

Even though I still like watching some Shonen Jump Anime, there should be MORE Seinen and Josei Action Anime. Michiko & Hatchin is the closest to a Josei this block will ever get, since Toonami is mostly an all nostalgic fanboys club.

If Toonami really cared about ratings for other shows, they would air their newest acquisitions at the start of the block.

The Dragon Ball franchise had its time to shine 2 decades ago. It's about time to let other shows have their spotlight.

I believe Dragon Ball gets special treatment over every show, that has aired over these last 5 years is because of extreme bias from those running the block, and them wanting to specifically pander to their fanbase. That's besides not wanting any other show to upstage Toonami's biggest cash cow.

Edited by PurgatoryGirl
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Bad_Witch said:

Personally, I'm looking forward to watching the son of Satan achieve his goal of becoming Wizard King and leading an army through the gates of Hell to overthrow the father who abandoned him....or whatever happens. I'm not picky.

Thought you were joking by posting the Blue Exorcist synopsis there for a minute. :D

On 12/3/2017 at 1:02 PM, PokeNirvash said:

No. No, Elfie. No.

The ending theme was actually the opening theme. And in some cases where the OP airs as the ED for the first episode, the credits scroll over a black screen. I've seen this before.

So no. You're wrong. Stop being wrong.

Palpatine.jpg

You will find that Elfie is wrong ABOUT A GREAT MANY THINGS.

On 12/4/2017 at 2:19 AM, PurgatoryGirl said:

I will never understand why this community alone is always so narrow-minded, judgmental, nit picky, and ALWAYS wants to psychoanalyze everything and everyone to death.

It's like barely no one here knows how to be open-minded and enjoy something without having to take something out of context to fit their narrative, throw shade, and tantrums about not getting their way about something.

It's ridiculous. You have to realize that everything you like/dislike is NOT what everyone else likes/dislikes. You're not the only viewers watching Adult Swim's programming.

As far as Black Clover goes, I don't see why so many posters are throwing toddler tantrums about every show that doesn't fit their narrative. Judging by the looks of Black Clover, it seems more like a parody of the stereotypical Shonen Jump franchise with some twists.

Watching the premiere last night, it made me think about Bleach, Naruto, and Blue Exorcist except with more satire to it. I don't think they're trying to make Black Clover out to be the next Naruto. Granted, Asta does act similar to Naruto but the protagonist also somewhat reminds me of Rin.

Speaking of Blue Exorcist, I was hoping that Toonami would re-air Season 1 for a recap in its entirety. Then, premiere Season 2.

People were ranting about this show being the worst thing ever.  Apparently the manga even won worst manga award or something.  I thought the first episode was actually pretty good.  But, so was Tokyo Ghoul's.  And the promise of immediate filler is not... promising.  We'll see how it goes.

You talk about others psychoanalyzing when you got parody and satire out of Black Clover's premiere?  I don't know if the writer was thinking that hard.  It might just really be that cliche.  Hard to say.  Also it's not really a parody when you're just being the thing.  There has to be some sort of commentary on what you're parodying, so to speak.

Blue Exorcist Season 2 is a Hulu exclusive.

As Al informed you, the prime time airing is gone. What's more, Dragon Ball will just be 30 minutes of the block once Kai is over with.  Not really sure how the characters look generic.  Maybe they are "simple" by modern anime standards, but they're pretty damn iconic, memorable, and distinctive.  Also worth noting countless shows have imitated Dragon Ball, so that's why it might feel that way to you. You've seen so much of the imitators, the original feels unoriginal.  I can assure you it's the other way around.  As for the shouting it's all part of the charm and fun, and you'd find that in lots of battle shonens.

Yup, JoJo is great.

Might be giving Black Clover too much credit there.  But, we'll see.

Still going to keep watching and see how it turns out.  People were acting like the sky was falling when Kekkaishi and SAO were announced, and I ended up loving both of those.  We'll see.

Edited by ben0119

6 hours ago, PurgatoryGirl said:

Still, the fact that the Dragon Ball franchise monopolizes a whole hour over every show on the block is highly unnecessary. That's 30 minutes wasted right there. Another show that's not Dragon Ball could've been in that timeslot.

All those fans still throwing tantrums over One Piece being replaced for Tokyo Ghoul could've still had One Piece had The Toonami Team not given Dragon Ball so much airtime. Had a newer and more popular series than the Dragon Ball franchise acquired 1-2 hours, there would've been a bigger stink.

Considering that Toonami starts late at night, airs mostly perennials, then airs over played shows from nearly 20 years ago, doesn't make every viewer want to watch the block.

Depending on what is airing on Toonami, I only watch 1-3 shows throughout the year. Usually, I have to change the channel for an hour or so because I'm waiting to watch a certain show(s). Toonami is more invested in pandering to fanboys, that cling to their childhood nostalgia.

When Jason DeMarco originally brought back the Toonami block, he claimed it was going to be for a more mature audience and wanted to supposedly "grow up veteran viewers" because Toonami is now on Adult Swim.

Even though I still like watching some Shonen Jump Anime, there should be MORE Seinen and Josei Action Anime. Michiko & Hatchin is the closest to a Josei this block will ever get, since Toonami is mostly an all nostalgic fanboys club.

If Toonami really cared about ratings for other shows, they would air their newest acquisitions at the start of the block.

The Dragon Ball franchise had its time to shine 2 decades ago. It's about time to let other shows have their spotlight.

I believe Dragon Ball gets special treatment over every show, that has aired over these last 5 years is because of extreme bias from those running the block, and them wanting to specifically pander to their fanbase. That's besides not wanting any other show to upstage Toonami's biggest cash cow.

No.  One Piece was canceled for low ratings.  This after the Toonami crew did everything they could to save it and prolong its presence here, since they love the show so much.  They were nice enough to finish Thriller Bark and ended the run on a very fitting episode for its sendoff.  Any other network would have gotten rid of it much sooner.  So, it's false to say Tokyo Ghoul replaced One Piece.  One Piece was going regardless and Tokyo Ghoul was what they chose to fill the newly open time, and fans had been requesting it for a while, actually.  Now, we could have had another long runner instead of Dragon Ball.  Like Fairy Tail, which fans have also been requesting like crazy?  That one is also about magic and wizards now that I think about it.  Wonder if that factored into getting Black Clover.

Well it doesn't help that all the hot shows keep getting snapped up by Netflix and other streaming services.  Demarco even said that Netflix will bid double what Toonami bids on a show if they find out Toonami is interested in it and snatch it.  But yeah, balls have been dropped and the block has definitely fallen off the past couple years.

You have to change the channel for something you don't want to watch?!  Oh no!  I have to do the same thing for Hiatus and the 80 billionth Bebop rerun.  And it's not easy for me given the completionist I am, heh.

Well, we've had Hellsing Ultimate, Black Lagoon, Parasyte, JoJo, Deadman Wonderland, Space Dandy, Lupin, Samurai 7, Kill la Kill, Gurren Lagann, One Punch Man, and Michiko that you mentioned.  Akame Ga Kill is violent but I sure as hell wouldn't call it "mature."  Not sure how I'd classify SAO.  Point is, there have been plenty of non shonen [Jump] offerings.  They did try to get A Woman Called Fujiko Mine, but there was too much nudity.

I agree for the most part, but you gotta have your anchor, which in this case is Dragon Ball.  And you don't want to move things around too much because that hurts ratings.  But yes the earlier the better for new shows.

What's funny is Demarco had said they didn't need Dragon Ball back before Kai was available and Super was made.

Well, it is in high demand and pretty much the most popular anime ever in the U.S.  It makes sense to use it as the anchor.  But, I think it's pretty obvious that they're trying to create a new cash cow with Black Clover.  They went to the lengths of expanding the block and airing it early in the night, betting hard that it will catch on and be the next big thing.  Try to get in at the beginning like they did with Bleach, Naruto, and even Dragon Ball once upon a time.  Time will tell if this gamble pays off.

Edited by ben0119

3 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

People were ranting about this show being the worst thing ever.  Apparently the manga even won worst manga award or something.  I thought the first episode was actually pretty good.  But, so was Tokyo Ghoul's.  And the promise of immediate filler is not... promising.  We'll see how it goes.

You talk about others psychoanalyzing when you got parody and satire out of Black Clover's premiere?  I don't know if the writer was thinking that hard.  It might just really be that cliche.  Hard to say.  Also it's not really a parody when you're just being the thing.  There has to be some sort of commentary on what your parodying, so to speak.

Blue Exorcist Season 2 is a Hulu exclusive.

As Al informed you, the prime time airing is gone. What's more, Dragon Ball will just be 30 minutes of the block once Kai is over with.  Not really sure how the characters look generic.  Maybe they are "simple" by modern anime standards, but they're pretty damn iconic, memorable, and distinctive.  Also worth noting countless shows have imitated Dragon Ball, so that's why it might feel that way to you. You've seen so much of the imitators, the original feels unoriginal.  I can assure you it's the other way around.  As for the shouting it's all part of the charm and fun, and you'd find that in lots of battle shonens.

Yup, JoJo is great.

Might be giving Black Clover too much credit there.  But, we'll see.

Still going to keep watching and see how it turns out.  People were acting like the sky was falling when Kekkaishi and SAO were announced, and I ended up loving both of those.  We'll see.

Since the time it was announced that Black Clover would premiere on Toonami, people have been going into full on meltdowns. You would've thought someone said, that Donald Trump already won the 2020 election. LMAO! Did you see how Democrats freaked out over the election last year? It was ridiculous.

The same can be said about Black Clover's announcement. A common complaint I keep reading about on other forums and listening to on YouTube is that Black Clover was chosen over My Hero Academia.

Because My Hero Academia was not chosen to air on Toonami, those fans are especially throwing tantrums over Black Clover. I don't know which show will be ending on Toonami soon, but My Hero Academia may be chosen next. Who knows?

It seems like whichever fanbase throws the biggest tantrum over the Internet, their show eventually gets chosen for Toonami. I cannot necessarily say this is true for Black Clover or not. However, the title has been a major "buzz" over the Internet.

I meant to watch episode 1 before it premiered on Toonami, but I never had the chance given my hectic schedule offline. So far, I don't see any major problem with Black Clover. It seems like the creator wanted to make it a combination of Naruto, Bleach, Blue Exorcist, and possibly some other Shonen except with a twist.

After watching episode 1, Asta seems like a spoof of Naruto and Rin to me. Black Clover is branded as being a Comedy besides being the stereotypical Shonen Jump Action Anime. That's what most have been complaining about besides others sulking over My Hero Academia not being chosen.

Anime fans hate that Black Clover lives up to the stereotypical Shonen Jump Action Anime. There seems to be more to it than the stereotypes. I believe those stereotypes will be used with twists to them, which could also help break some Shonen Jump stereotypes.

Like I said, more viewers should try being more open-minded and try to enjoy the show. If they still don't like Black Clover, they can always change the channel until their show comes on. It's what I have been doing for the last 5 years, now.

If Toonami really wants to air more perennial shows, it would be a lot better to return to Adult Swim's old format. By that, I mean airing perennials on weeknights like they did 10-15 years ago. Then, they could air shorter shows on Saturday nights. That seems more logical to me but the people running Adult Swim's programing don't think logically.

MHA wasn't chosen to air on Toonami because they couldn't get MHA. Otherwise, they'd be airing MHA instead of this.

When you decide to air an anime that had its manga voted worst of the year.... that is something people are going to complain about.

It's not really spoofing anything, just flat out copying. That's why so many people turned on it in a hurry.

Also, it takes three 20 minute episodes to get to what happens in the second chapter of the Manga. Episode 2 and 3 are almost all filler. It's constantly referred to as having the worst pacing of any modern Shonen. Much like TG, even fans of the Manga are generally unhappy with the anime.

• Like 2

It only dropped 108K from DBZ KFC before it, which DROPPED THE BALL million-plus Super threw it to the tune of over 300K.

I'm sure DBZ KFC's fate is to be replaced by Boruto next year, but I wouldn't mind ALLLLLLL of DBZ Kai getting a rerun at 3:30 AM.

Edited by OwlChemist81

6 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

It only dropped 108K from DBZ KFC before it, which DROPPED THE BALL million-plus Super threw it to the tune of over 300K.

I'm sure DBZ KFC's fate is to be replaced by Boruto next year, but I wouldn't mind ALLLLLLL of DBZ Kai getting a rerun at 3:30 AM.

First of all, DBZ Kai didn't lose that many people. It finished closer to 250K worse.

And also, that bottom comment about a Kai rerun doesn't really have to do with anything. I'll save any thoughts I have about this idea for another thread.