UnevenEdge

Seven Deadly Sins is Netflix’ 5th most binge raced show

Jman

Yup that was another smart choice by Netflix. It doesn't take long to get going either, by the end of the first or second episode people are hooked.

I don't buy that Netflix is killing Toonami. Netflix is making mostly good decisions. Toonami is making almost all awful decisions.

Yup that was another smart choice by Netflix. It doesn't take long to get going either, by the end of the first or second episode people are hooked.

I don't buy that Netflix is killing Toonami. Netflix is making mostly good decisions. Toonami is making almost all awful decisions.

yeah Netflix is basically producing their own shit at this point

the fact that Toonami keeps licensing crap like Tokyo Ghoul instead of shows people actually want to watch is on them

Binge-anything is fucking stupid.  I have absolutely no understanding of how someone can stare passively at a screen for hours at a time watching the same goddamn show.

nor do I, bingeing isn't something it's possible for me to do

one ep of a show a day is enough

Binge-anything is fucking stupid.  I have absolutely no understanding of how someone can stare passively at a screen for hours at a time watching the same goddamn show.

Well, for one, there's getting caught up on a show you haven't seen before at the last minute before the new season premieres. That's what I did with Samurai Jack; marathoned the last 30 episodes of the original run the day before season 5 hit.

Depends on the show and how much investment I get. Binging is becoming increasingly less common for me, but if I enjoy thinking about it and there's emotional weight I can get away with binging.

Don't question it, Elfie, it only makes you look ridiculous. :P

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jacoboller/2017/10/17/how-not-to-watch-tv-netflix-coins-term-binge-race/#443228ce5128

"In a press release today, Netflix announced that “8.4 million members” have begun binge racing. This watching strategy, which is to complete a series during the 24-hour period following its release, has grown “more than 20 times over” since “binging” itself became common vocabulary. 200,000 racers in 2013 became more than 5 million as of last month. The behavior is changing, but it’s also changing what TV means to its audience."

There.  You could've just answered the definition of binge racing.  It's called asking a damn question for something you legitimately don't know about.  It's called learning from the world.

There.  You could've just answered the definition of binge racing.  It's called asking a damn question for something you legitimately don't know about.  It's called learning from the world.

You know, I'd feel insulted by that, but instead I'm just satisfied that you managed to Google it yourself instead of having someone answer it for you. :)

Depends on the show and how much investment I get. Binging is becoming increasingly less common for me, but if I enjoy thinking about it and there's emotional weight I can get away with binging.

See those are the sorts of shows that make the least sense to binge to me.  If there's a series I'm watching with intricate plotting or really good pacing or devastating cliffhangers, I need some time to chew on each individual episode and speculate on what's coming next.  Some of my fondest memories of watching [as] were when shows would leave off on "oh WHAT THE HELL" moments, like in the penultimate episodes of FMA 2003 or Eureka 7, and I'd spend what seemed like every spare moment of the rest of the week thinking about where the story could possibly go.  The instant gratification of automatically-queuing seasons just totally destroys that sense of anticipation.  It also totally murders the collective cultural aspect of watching: everyone's doing it at their own pace, so if you want to talk about the show to someone, you have no reasonable expectation as to how much of it they've seen so far.

See those are the sorts of shows that make the least sense to binge to me.  If there's a series I'm watching with intricate plotting or really good pacing or devastating cliffhangers, I need some time to chew on each individual episode and speculate on what's coming next.  Some of my fondest memories of watching [as] were when shows would leave off on "oh WHAT THE HELL" moments, like in the penultimate episodes of FMA 2003 or Eureka 7, and I'd spend what seemed like every spare moment of the rest of the week thinking about where the story could possibly go.  The instant gratification of automatically-queuing seasons just totally destroys that sense of anticipation.  It also totally murders the collective cultural aspect of watching: everyone's doing it at their own pace, so if you want to talk about the show to someone, you have no reasonable expectation as to how much of it they've seen so far.

I'm not really referring to literal plotting. Like parcing out what the show was about or what it's saying about the topic is generally easier with the full picture, and separating episodes gives me less leeway since I have so many other things to do that not watching clumps will usually lessen my ability to retain it a bigger portion.

Following the current anime seasons has made binge watching only something I do to catch up with something. In many instances, the week-long wait is a ritual that makes some shows special, and bingewatching those kind of shows ruins the magic it has when you can easily solve every cliffhanger or mystery the show has to offer with a marathon.

It's worthy of binge-watching.

It has a good plot though many of the elements are common to anime/manga it does them very well if not better than a lot of it's contemporaries in the same genre of fantasy/magic.

The characters are all unique and interesting, having well-developed personalities with not too many cliches thrown in (though there are a few).

The characters all have unique designs for the most part (the main ones do) and most of them are pretty cute, both female and male. I'm really not sure why more people here don't mention:

Elizabeth as their waifu:

Seven-Deadly-Sins-Elizabeth-Liones.iPod-4-wallpaper-640x960.jpg

1449157570-7c302941178d83e34a6ff460ea94c43b.png?s=9181ac703dd4d2e8126cd33a6390d225

Or if they are in to a more dominant acting female....

There is Merlin:

latest?cb=20150302003106

14368934_262892474110712_6706723691926913024_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTM0NTcxODIzNTExMDQ2NDc3Ng%3D%3D.2.c

Not to mention the show apparently has some of the most beautiful cosplayers I've ever seen (out of people that typically cosplay and nb4 I get yelled at).....

51UETsHMEVL._UX342_.jpg

d8c8c6cd27b48ffb9ccb8f3a55cafc28--cosplay-kawaii-anime-cosplay.jpg

2016-font-b-The-b-font-font-b-Seven-b-font-font-b-Deadly-b-font.jpg

230449861eb230928610b5152bf3e84f--merlin-cosplay-cosplay-anime.jpg

ctvblleqojegcdkwjqofrdxfhgebddsjwebjoqca-350x600.jpg

I'm a 90s kid, I remember when "binge-watching" used to be just "marathons" which isn't really a great term either, but infinitely better than binge-watching.....just sounds like it was coined by an edgy millenial

It was reportedly coined by Netflix themselves in promotions, so probably a middle-aged executive who thought it was catchy in conjunction with a focus group...

Most cinematic terminology these days comes from companies, or film critics in actuality (some of them are pretty cringy).

Certain shows have a pacing that is designed to bing watch intentionally I'd argue House of Cards is a prime example of this type of set up. There are some shows that come out of cable that is suited to it as well, but many that aren't as their pacing is more deliberate with significant use of cliffhangers and other plot elements which do best with periods of pause in between such as foreshadowing. I would also argue that shows which are both long-running (talking more than 5 seasons) and are also finished tend to do better with binge-watching.

Shows like Lost or Dexter for example, or if talking about anime One Piece, Fairy Tail, Naruto, Bleach.... Naruto and Bleach, in particular, are somewhat more palatable as you can speed through the really terrible pacing, constant use of filler, or mostly inconsequential flashback episodes. One Piece is so long and old that it benefits from binge-watching even in small spurts such as 4 to 10 episodes at a time, not necessarily because the pacing is bad but because it is so long that it is hard to keep track of even for seasoned viewers.

I would also argue that shows which are least conducive to binge-watching are episodic in nature with either many different sub-plots interspersed or completely different subject matter for most episodes. As an example, most of Star Trek is pretty much terrible to "Binge-Watch" (I am a die-hard Trekkie and I've tried to rewatch some of these by binging). Shows like this which are mostly episodic in nature are hard to sit through for extended periods of time because the plot is not designed as a long cohesive narrative but more like an adventure set in a setting exploring related topics. Dr. Who would probably be another good example of this type, although I am a fan of that show as well.