UnevenEdge

You'd think they'd announce something soon...

OwlChemist81

I could be wrong, but I think by this point in October a year ago they had announced that Gundam IBO was the show which would be getting a marathon (of the end of the Brewers and the Dort arcs, episodes 13-19) on October 29th. We're only a little over 2 weeks out now and they still haven't made an announcement for October 28th. Most are suspecting it's gonna be JoJo: Stardust Crusaders, but nothing's official yet.

Also, it was October 17th last year when they announced Children Who Chase Lost Voices would be the 3 AM Daylight Savings Time special. DeMarco has said it's unlikely we'll get a movie anytime soon, so I don't think it's that, so theoretically, Toonami will announce something else for the first 3 AM (2nd 2 AM hour) sometime next week. I'm hoping it's a one-off OVA, like maybe Interstella 5555, but there's no telling what we could get for that "bonus hour!"

Also, unless they want to cannibalize some of the normal lineup for 2 weeks in a row, it would be confined to just that hour. And I'm thinking, yes, either after Outlaw Star, or unless they somehow pull a movie out of their asses, beginning at 2:30 AM instead of the next episode of Outlaw Star, meaning the Nostalgia Trip takes a 2-week break, which would be mind-bogglingly dumb after GITS 2nd Gig just plays one episode and then gets its next THREE weeks later!

Forget the Halloween marathon and the DST surprise, what I really wanna know is what's replacing Lupin next year. And with all the popular stuff getting put on lockdown six ways from Sunday, I'm seeing hope that Demarco's gonna appeal to obscurity with this next one.

[c'mon, dxd-scryed power hour]

If they could somehow to go Aniplex and ask them for Birdy the Mighty: Decode, that would be fucking awesome.

As for this bit of breaking news... eh, really? I guess since it uses a graphic of bearded Jack, it'll be just Season 5 again. Marathons are supposed to save money, but them using a show they own makes this one ring even cheaper than usual. What was wrong with using JoJo's?

Maybe we'll get JoJo's for Thanksgiving after all. That would be episodes 7ish-15 instead of 4-12, but I'll take it, especially if it gives me another chance to record Episode 10. Another Christmas marathon would also do that, but it would be more like 10-18. Episode 7 would be a bad episode to start a marathon, because of what happens in that episode!

And yeah, it's Season 5.

Now that THAT little mystery has been solved, how about that November 4th DST's end bonus hour?

Just announced.

I gotta say I didn't see this coming, and sorry but I won't be watching that night.

Well, at least not ALL night. Might turn it on when I get back from a football game trip!

DL9LdkpWAAAy5EL.jpg

The question is, will it be Season 5, or will it go back to the beginning?

Do we really need Samurai Jack again this quickly?  The late night reruns ended barely a month ago, and Adult Swim aired the show practically all summer before that.  I like Samurai Jack, but I think everyone can agree that it's getting excessive.  You know what would have been better?  A Shippuden marathon.  It's never gotten one before, and we just got out of the Pain arc, one of the better arcs in the show.  What better time than now to have a Shippuden marathon?

Just announced.

I gotta say I didn't see this coming, and sorry but I won't be watching that night.

Well, at least not ALL night. Might turn it on when I get back from a football game trip!

DL9LdkpWAAAy5EL.jpg

The question is, will it be Season 5, or will it go back to the beginning?

Honestly at this point if you took a shot every time Samurai Jack season 5 has aired in full on television, you'd end up at least decently buzzed if not outright drunk

Don't get me wrong I greatly enjoyed Samurai Jack's fifth season, but I have seen it in full at least 3 times on adult swim.

I'd much rather save my next rewatch for when I purchase the Samurai Jack blu ray boxset

I contnue to be amazed that the world has not collectively gotten over DBZ yet.

I can sort of understand it.  It was a huge phenomena when it first aired in Japan, and it's airing in the US isn't wasn't any different.  It ingrained itself into pop culture.  Whenever someone who isn't an anime fan does an anime parody, it's gonna be one of DBZ.  It's one of the few, if not the only, anime anyone can admit to watching without seeming like a weeb. 

Even beyond that, the story for DBZ is practically non existent.  There's good guys and there's evil guys.  They fight.  It's as simple as you can get.  It's an easy show to jump right in to at any point, so it makes sense that it would hold casual viewers decently well.

I think I mentioned it before but the show integrated itself into pop culture in a way that most shows don’t.  In particular it reflects bizarrely heavy in combat sports culture, and FUNi got a shitload of NFL starters to talk about watching it growing up as a bonus feature on their box sets.

Try getting that for Kekkaishi. 

Try getting that for Kekkaishi. 

You need a goddamn hobby.

And I'd feel far more sympathetic towards DBZ if Toriyama showed even the remotest shred of writing ability.  I'll at least give him the credit of inventing the modern long-form shounen, but by this point at least a dozen other authors have taken that mold and created far more satisfying products.  When you step back and take an honest look at it, DBZ barely has what one could consider a plot.  I thought it was stupid when I was 13, enough so that it almost single-handedly turned me off of anime for years, and this Toonami run has done little to avail me of that opinion.  Granted, it does have those occasional classic moments that scratch that middle-school "zomg this is awesome!!!" itch, but dear lord it is just dumber than an entire pile of bricks.  The sad part is that I think the original Dragon Ball is absolutely charming and fun, well-deserving of its classic status, but the moment Toriyama tried piling apocalyptic stakes onto a universe setup that quite frankly doesn't allow for them, the whole thing just collapsed.  At this point the only reason it maintains so much cultural relevance is that it was Babby's First Animu for a whole bunch of people, the majority of whom never looked all that far beyond it.

And I'd feel far more sympathetic towards DBZ if Toriyama showed even the remotest shred of writing ability.  I'll at least give him the credit of inventing the modern long-form shounen, but by this point at least a dozen other authors have taken that mold and created far more satisfying products.  When you step back and take an honest look at it, DBZ barely has what one could consider a plot.  I thought it was stupid when I was 13, enough so that it almost single-handedly turned me off of anime for years, and this Toonami run has done little to avail me of that opinion.  Granted, it does have those occasional classic moments that scratch that middle-school "zomg this is awesome!!!" itch, but dear lord it is just dumber than an entire pile of bricks.  The sad part is that I think the original Dragon Ball is absolutely charming and fun, well-deserving of its classic status, but the moment Toriyama tried piling apocalyptic stakes onto a universe setup that quite frankly doesn't allow for them, the whole thing just collapsed.  At this point the only reason it maintains so much cultural relevance is that it was Babby's First Animu for a whole bunch of people, the majority of whom never looked all that far beyond it.

Aside from the fact that he sucks at writing, the thing that pisses me off is he completely abandoned his own franchise after DBZ, which is why GT and Super are so bad. Come on Toriyama its a legendary franchise, you got something better to do? He was at least creative and made DBZ what it was.

The other things are..

Dragonball overuse.

Ridiculous power scaling. With a power level of about 100.... Roshi was able to blow up the moon. How does that make any sense?

Evil characters like Vegeta commit mass genocide and then never have to answer for it.

Completely forgetting that old characters exist.

The fact that the Dragon Balls exist in the first place makes any sense of tension or high stakes in DBZ laughable at best, because the whole audience already knows that anything bad that happens will inevitably get wished away.  And that last one is what really gets me the most.  I didn't get far enough into the original Dragon Ball to meet Launch, but the fact that Toriyama has flat-out said "hahaha whoops I forgot she was a thing!" is just fucking pathetic.  Contrast that with someone like Oda, who on multiple occasions has pulled minor throw-away characters from hundreds of chapters prior, made them integral parts of the current arc (complete with requisite tragic backstories), and made the reader give a damn about them., all seemingly effortlessly.  I've felt since I first started watching it that OP is what happens when you take DBZ and give it an actual plot.

I agree with all of this and I actually like DBZ

Toriyama is a fucking horrible writer and IMO the only good thing he ever did was create Vegeta :|

who has evolved into a far more likeable and multi-faceted Character than Goku could ever hope to be (as evident by the fact that Toriyama is now retconning Goku as a sociopath to try and make him edgier and cooler compared to Vegeta)

Toriyama can't even remember that SS2 was a thing. I'm 99 percent sure the guy has early onset Alzheimer's.

DBZ has a lot of great moments though so we forgive it for sucking at times.

Actually Toriyama had a built in failsafe to keep some form of stakes in the DBZ universe. The rule was you could only be revived once by the dragonballs. Then he completely threw that away and added an entirely new set of wish balls that could revive anyone an infinite number of times.

If that wasn't enough, King Yemma can just let the dead visit the Earth any time he feels like. Don't even need to be alive.

Well  yeah, there's no denying what people are there for, but the problem is that the series itself tries to play up these big dramatic moments but only succeeds in falling flat on his face.  Like, even taking the parody out of the picture, Abridged is a far better-written show than the original work it's spoofing.

It's comparing an action show to a farce.

Everyone I know who got into the show did so because of the fights, because they looked cool.  It's the definition of style over substance. 

But here's the thing: the vast majority of the time, the fights really aren't all that cool.  I know it's a tired gag by this point, but before Kai happened, there were literally entire episodes mostly dedicated to Goku or someone else standing around and grunting heavily as they tried to power up.  (How Sean Schlemmel has a shred of a voice left by this point I will never know.)  The choreography is certainly nothing to write home about, and there's next to no creativity: the vast majority of your typical DBZ fight involves a character throwing rapid-barrage punches and kicks at someone who's blocking them, or alternately doing the same with energy blasts, punctuated by the occasional flight through a cliff in some remote wasteland.  There's next to no thinking outside the box, none of the crazy strategies that other shounen use so effectively.  At least FOTNS has the fundamental amusement of perfectly-delayed head gibs.  DBZ has...aneurysms?

(Now I mean that's not to say that moments like Goku's first Super Saiyan transformation aren't extremely iconic.  But they're so few and far between that they can't hold up the combat on their own.)

I'm getting sooooo fucking sick of these marathons.

And why the hell are they doing one anyway?

I guess their reasoning is that adults like to get drunk and party on the weekend before Halloween so ratings would be down. But let's be honest, the venn diagram between Toonami viewers and drunken Halloween party animals probably doesn't overlap very much.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess their reasoning is that adults like to get drunk and party on the weekend before Halloween so ratings would be down. But let's be honest, the venn diagram between Toonami viewers and drunken Halloween party animals probably doesn't overlap very much.

Not only that, but they never did any Halloween marathons until that year where Toonami actually happened to fall on Halloween.  That year there as at least some semblence of an excuse.  But this time, with it on fucking Tuesday?  Oh hell no.  I did actually end up doing stuff that weekend, but still!

Ben you were sick of the marathons two years ago.

And apparently they're doing this one... because Halloween?

I'll be honest, even I don't agree with a marathon for Halloween, so I'm not even going to try and defend it.

I always was and always will be sick of them.  Also, we were on a nice marathon-free stride for a good while and I had pretty much forgot they existed and then BAM MARATHON.

I'll refer you to what I said to Angel, as well.