UnevenEdge

Remember when Toonami thought tennis was going to attract viewers?

Jman

MAR and DICE really blurred together into a forgettable blob of nothing, as did the pairing of Zatch Bell and Rave Master. Then all four merged together to make Blue Dragon. If there's a silver lining to Toonami being revamped for late night block, it's that they stopped pushing cheap garbage nobody cares about into the spotlight early on.

The thing is, Fighting Spirit/Hajime no Ippo had a dub at the EXACT SAME TIME.

Are you really going to tell me that boys are going to prefer tennis to BOXING?!

Hajime no Ippo also had tons of Male nudity and several scenes were the guys grabbed the title character's erect dick (covered by mosaic)

it's a SUPER homoerotic show

Mochi, no one cares.  Besides, it isn't as prissy as tennis.

I remember this one guy swearing up and down Prince of Tennis was going to be YUGE.  Shows what he knew.

I'm just saying the sexual overtones are probably why Hajime no Ippo wasn't chosen

(granted that didn't stop Toonami from airing Tenchi but that was straight so **shrug**)

I'm just saying the sexual overtones are probably why Hajime no Ippo wasn't chosen

(granted that didn't stop Toonami from airing Tenchi but that was straight so **shrug**)

No, it wasn't chosen because, at the time, the company that dubbed it fell through and no one thought to rescue it at the time.

In all fairness, they could've gotten popular had they not skipped episodes as a promotion for Jetstream.

Yeah I have no idea what they were going for there.  I think I wound up watching everything of both series that made it to Jetstream.  MAR was a super-generic tournament shounen that wound up being entertaining largely thanks to its surprisingly-good dub.  Hearing Spike Spencer as an ultra-cheerful plucky shounen protagonist was an amusing change of pace.  Prince of Tennis frequently frustrated me because I actually played the sport, and at the end of the day it was largely fangirl bait, but I swear the coach of the team was a dead ringer for my high school coach, so that was amusing at least.

Hajime no Ippo probably would have suffered the same fate as Prince of Tennis if it had aired on Toonami.  The truth of the matter is that sports anime just aren't popular in the US.

The problem with most sports anime IMO is that the average stick and ball sport just comes off as silly in the medium.

Combat sports offer a different view and a different type of action (Also someone tell Netflix to make a Karate Minoru anime).

Did Hikaru No Go ever make it out of the Jets stream and into tv

I remember seeing it on TV. Its weird that they thought that one would have hit it off. I think they missed the point of why things like Yugioh did well because there is variation in how you build a deck and it's collectible. Go is just Japanese Chess, like real chess but it's more complicated and ridged.

I remember seeing it on TV. Its weird that they thought that one would have hit it off. I think they missed the point of why things like Yugioh did well because there is variation in how you build a deck and it's collectible. Go is just Japanese Chess, like real chess but it's more complicated and ridged.

Except Hikaru no Go was about the characters more than the game. You didn't need to know how to play the game to follow what was happening for the most part.

Yugioh is just a clusterfuck of nonsensical battles where there pretty much are no rules [as far as the show is concerned, that is] despite the games being the focal point of the series. It's kinda awful actually.

Yugioh I think had more appeal. Also I confused Go with Shogi in my head for a moment. Go is the one where you flip pieces.

Flipping stones is Othello.

Go is about taking the largest amount of territory. It's not really about killing stones stones, but if you surround enemy stones you take them off the board.

MAR and DICE really blurred together into a forgettable blob of nothing, as did the pairing of Zatch Bell and Rave Master. Then all four merged together to make Blue Dragon. If there's a silver lining to Toonami being revamped for late night block, it's that they stopped pushing cheap garbage nobody cares about into the spotlight early on.

Fun Fact: Blue Dragon is what replaced One Piece April of 2008 before the whole block was killed. 

.... also another fact: Blue Dragon only lasted on Toonami for a few weeks.  Great job, Turner.

I actually liked MAR at the time; Also Rave Master.

Same here.  Liked Zatch Bell too.  I should look them up to see whatever became of them because Toonami never finished either series.  Love Rave Master.  If you get the chance, you should read the manga.  The story as it continues gets even better and its great overall.

Except Hikaru no Go was about the characters more than the game. You didn't need to know how to play the game to follow what was happening for the most part.

Yugioh is just a clusterfuck of nonsensical battles where there pretty much are no rules [as far as the show is concerned, that is] despite the games being the focal point of the series. It's kinda awful actually.

Yugioh is entertaining for how over-the-top and cheesy it is, though.  I remember reading the first chapter of Hikaru no Go and thought the feudal era character was a girl at first.  Then he became a ghost and helped the main character play the game.  So kind of like Yugioh in that aspect. :P Only read it because it was in that Shonen Jump issue I bought.  Not sure that I'd read/watch more of it.

Same here.  Liked Zatch Bell too.  I should look them up to see whatever became of them because Toonami never finished either series.  Love Rave Master.  If you get the chance, you should read the manga.  The story as it continues gets even better and its great overall.

They did finish Rave Master, but it was on at like 6am. Also there are the crossover ovas with Fairy Tail.

And then they reran it on SyFy, which was a rather strange surprise.

Speaking of Rave, the Japanese opening song is epic to me

(it reminds me of Dark Cloud for some reason)

that said I don't like Rave or Fairy Tail by themselves

they're horribly generic and both have unsatisfying endings (namely FT's ending is identical to Rave's but gender-flipped and everyone is paired off in hetero romances like the end of Naruto)

now when you say "DICE" are you reffering to that strange 12 episode Yugioh Spin-off 4kids Produced in-house where everything was the same as the first season of the show, but instead of cards they were playing Dungeon Dice monsters with Gashapon,

latest?cb=20131217232817

or are you reffering to something else?

They did finish Rave Master, but it was on at like 6am. Also there are the crossover ovas with Fairy Tail.

I know.  I was talking about how the anime doesn't cover most of the manga material.  I meant Zatch Bell and MAR.  They didn't finish those.  I heard about that!  I need to get back to watching more Fairy Tail before I watch that OVA, though.  Don't want Fairy Tail spoilers.

Speaking of Rave, the Japanese opening song is epic to me

(it reminds me of Dark Cloud for some reason)

that said I don't like Rave or Fairy Tail by themselves

they're horribly generic and both have unsatisfying endings (namely FT's ending is identical to Rave's but gender-flipped and everyone is paired off in hetero romances like the end of Naruto)

That OP is epic.

Don't agree on the generic thing, and not going to argue it, but it's pretty retarded that an ending to any series is unsatisfying to you just because there aren't any gay pairings in the end.  Can't speak on Fairy Tail as I haven't watched enough of it yet, but the relationships in Rave Master were heavily built up.  Those people were already together before the series ended, so... yeah.  I mean you might as well bitch that Inuyasha and Kagome, Miroko and Sango, "got together" at the end.  Also a lot more to those endings than just who ended up together.  Rave Master and InuYasha had great endings, as far as I'm concerned.  I've, ahh, heard things about Naruto's ending... LOL.  Let's just say pairing results should be the least of your concerns there.

Fun Fact: Blue Dragon is what replaced One Piece April of 2008 before the whole block was killed. 

.... also another fact: Blue Dragon only lasted on Toonami for a few weeks.  Great job, Turner.

The one thing I know about Blue Dragon was that the singer from Deep Purple did a song for the game.