UnevenEdge

This was neat.

1938 Packard

How so?  You're afraid of skimming or something?  How is this different from a debit card transaction when you're dealing with a licensed and registered business?

A "licensed and registered" "business" that forgets its "debit card reader" but luckily finds the one asshole still writing paper checks.

I dunno about that, when I was a youngling I paid off a nice debt robbing my ex in that exact way

In the very unlikely even that this guy starts a skimming operation, my bank offers fraud protection from unauthorized transactions and I can also file complaints in civil court.  It's not like he's a fly by night operating out of a rented office space.  Also, when I send paper checks to the phone company or electric company, they're not in the habit of skimming either.  Even pay by phone requires a routing number. 

I wrote a paper check for somebody because he forgot to bring his debit card reader.  He snapped a photo of the check with his phone and the money transfer was faster than any card transaction.

i hate to break it to ya bob, but ach transactions are not faster than eft/debit. nowhere, near as fast, really. as a matter of fact, there's new ach regulations going into effect next month that ramp up the availability of same-day ach debit transactions. that means within a few hours, ach debits can hit your account, if you conduct the tx at the correct time of day and the vendor/merchant participates in same-day ach. however, ach transactions do not post (and won't for the foreseeable future) in real-time.

not only do debit transactions post (preauthorizations) in real-time, but they even check available balance prior to posting the preauth.

conclusion? you're full of shit. i know, i'm surprised as hell too.

i hate to break it to ya bob, but ach transactions are not faster than eft/debit. nowhere, near as fast, really. as a matter of fact, there's new ach regulations going into effect next month that ramp up the availability of same-day ach debit transactions. that means within a few hours, ach debits can hit your account, if you conduct the tx at the correct time of day and the vendor/merchant participates in same-day ach. however, ach transactions do not post (and won't for the foreseeable future) in real-time.

not only do debit transactions post (preauthorizations) in real-time, but they even check available balance prior to posting the preauth.

Just because you don't live in Pacland doesn't mean archaic forms of commerce aren't faster than any modern transaction.  The land were a floor model Zenith with some 1977 woofers poorly wired to it preforms better than your state of the art sound system. 

When I make debit card transactions, I keep the receipts.  Some times they post the same day, sometimes it posts three days later.  This auto check was within the hour.

routing numbers are public information

https://www.bankofamerica.com/deposits/manage/faq-routing-numbers.go

its the account number he has to worry about

Who else has the account number?  The electric company, the phone company and anybody to whom I had written a check since the account was opened.  Never a problem with fraud because I don't just hand out checks to any old tardo.  He needs to have a business location and be established.  This guy I'm talking about also does business with my landlady.  She never complained.

Who else has the account number?  The electric company, the phone company and anybody to whom I had written a check since the account was opened.  Never a problem with fraud because I don't just hand out checks to any old tardo.  He needs to have a business location and be established.  This guy I'm talking about also does business with my landlady.  She never complained.

That's because she's in on it.

I wrote a paper check for somebody because he forgot to bring his debit card reader.  He snapped a photo of the check with his phone and the money transfer was faster than any card transaction.

1. That's not neat. It's pretty mundane actually.

2. Pretty sure writing the check took longer than swiping a card.

Okay, so I might end up using my bank's fraud protection program and litigating against the business in civil court.

Nope you're stupid again... so retard... when you file an affidavit of fraud.... the bank has 10 days to give you the funds back and then an additional 45 days to complete their investigation. If they decide you weren't at fault... the bank assumes liability as the victim therefore going after the fraudster..... most times they don't bother because it costs too much money and they turn it over to the FBI.....

Now you know shithead.

Nope you're stupid again... so retard... when you file an affidavit of fraud.... the bank has 10 days to give you the funds back and then an additional 45 days to complete their investigation. If they decide you weren't at fault... the bank assumes liability as the victim therefore going after the fraudster..... most times they don't bother because it costs too much money and they turn it over to the FBI.....

Now you know shithead.

You're saying all this as though investigating an unauthorized transaction costs millions.  Anyway, what happens when the FBI investigates and finds multiple transactions from other accounts going to the same person?

You're stupid yet again.

Having a financial investigator spend time going through transactions, time stamps, area codes, collaborating with business line partners (PAYROLL) is just one expense. Then you have to carry your attorneys on retainer and have them go after this person as well, which isn't cheap... so for something less than $5k, it doesn't make sense to go after them... especially when it's all built in to their operating cost... they expect these losses..... retard.

When I make debit card transactions, I keep the receipts.  Some times they post the same day, sometimes it posts three days later.  This auto check was within the hour.

look up the term "preauthorization". it's a thing nearly every debit / eft transaction does (with the exception of some recurring and offline/stand-in tx), and it's done in real-time. it's also the reason your debit card gets declined for insufficient funds at the point of sale.

have you ever handed a merchant a check and they took a picture of it and said "sorry, there's not enough funds in this account to process the transaction." has that ever happened? the answer is no, because it's not fucking possible to perform ach transactions in real-time. so unless you're handing people imaginary checks from your miaginary paypal account and they're processing them with their imaginary check posting machines, you're not getting "within the hour" postings from a written check.

not.

fucking.

possible.

i do want to mention one exception to my last point. some merchants may be able to process checks (not ach) in real-time on a particular bank if they conduct what's called "merchant capture" transactions for that institution. i'll go ahead and guarantee you though, some fucking guy using his phone for mobile deposit, doesn't possess such capability.