UnevenEdge

Best "Part II" sequels

Doom Metal Alchemist

In movie sequels, generally, everything after part II sucks (and often times, everything after part I). Video games are different. They can have great sequels way the fuck down the line (see Zelda). This thread I want to dedicate to all the "Part II" sequels, IE the very first sequel. Games where Part II is as far as they got are fair game. I want to exclude part III's and beyond because, like I said, unlike in movies, video game sequels can be great way down the line, so including all the sequels could result in way too long lists.

So anyway, what are your best Part II's?

Mine:

Mega Man 2 (NES)

Mega Man X2 (SNES)

Castlevania II (NES)

Earthworm Jim 2 (SNES)

Street Fighter II (Arcade, various) (arguably the most successful part II of all time relative to part I).

Mario Kart 64 (N64)

Honorable mentions:

Zelda II (NES)

Metroid II (Game Boy)

i agree sequels in video games usually tend to be better than their predecessors in one way or another. i think the reason for this is obvious, a more experienced dev crew will try to improve upon their previous efforts. good devs know what parts of their games worked best and they know what part of the game need improvement. i think there are fewer instances where they got it perfect the first time around. that being said heres my list of best sequels

sonic 2

super metroid

star fox 64

f-zero x

resident evil 2

pokemon gold and silver

age of empires 2

tony hawk 2

metal slug 2

mortal kombat 2

Silent Hill 2 is best Silent Hill ever bar none

Zelda 2  and castlevania 2 both took concentrated effort to get through for me and that makes them memorable

Half Life 2 is damn good...and by extension Team Fortress 2 ...typically anything that builds or improves on an original story or idea is never bad

Maya's a national treasure with that and Let's Positive Thinking. I played a translation of the Japanese Innocent Sin, so I'm so used to her shouting "CIAO!" at the beginning of fights. That, and Eikichi chewing the scenery with "SAA! EVERYBODAY!" and "So lonnnng".

For Eternal Punishment, I've only played English so I'm used to how old the dub is, and how bad that EP's Joker sounds in English. It wasn't until recently where I learned Ulala was Yukiko and Ohya this whole time. 90's anime dubs are also a national treasure.

Maya's a national treasure with that and Let's Positive Thinking. I played a translation of the Japanese Innocent Sin, so I'm so used to her shouting "CIAO!" at the beginning of fights. That, and Eikichi chewing the scenery with "SAA! EVERYBODAY!" and "So lonnnng".

For Eternal Punishment, I've only played English so I'm used to how old the dub is, and how bad that EP's Joker sounds in English. It wasn't until recently where I learned Ulala was Yukiko and Ohya this whole time. 90's anime dubs are also a national treasure.

i played the PSP Innocent Sin and man that dub was also pretty great. Innocent Sin's dubbing is awesome because a boss and Maya yells out "IT'S WHOOP ASS TIME" at the same time

(start at 23 seconds)

The dub's pretty good too. I think I remember them keeping Ginko's random Mandarin or keh-heh's she'd pepper into her conversations. Troy Baker also gave Michel a good rockstar persona. It's kinda surreal hearing Tatsuya and Yukki after hearing them as Shido and Takemi in 5, but that's part of the fun of Atlus dubs keeping around some familiar voices.

The one thing I'll defend the most is the music. Some people say the old soundtrack is dated, but to me, it's perfect.

The dub's pretty good too. I think I remember them keeping Ginko's random Mandarin or keh-heh's she'd pepper into her conversations. Troy Baker also gave Michel a good rockstar persona. It's kinda surreal hearing Tatsuya and Yukki after hearing them as Shido and Takemi in 5, but that's part of the fun of Atlus dubs keeping around some familiar voices.

The one thing I'll defend the most is the music. Some people say the old soundtrack is dated, but to me, it's perfect.

oh yeah the Persona 2 soundtrack and story is perfection.i did not know those were who they are and now i can totally hear it in my head.

i played the PSP Innocent Sin and man that dub was also pretty great. Innocent Sin's dubbing is awesome because a boss and Maya yells out "IT'S WHOOP ASS TIME" at the same time

I need to get around to that, have it but Eternal Punishment PSP version getting passed over in the west kinda killed my enthusiasm for it. 

I need to get around to that, have it but Eternal Punishment PSP version getting passed over in the west kinda killed my enthusiasm for it.

the PS1 version is good enough. you're only missing one part of the story that you can read if you really care. i never read that part of the story