UnevenEdge

Gonna reread all of Harry Potter

bnmjy

and also watch the movies. I want to try to finish this by July 21st, which was when the last book came out. I can't believe it's already been 10 years. It's gonna be quite the challenge to read one million words in only three weeks.

Its been 20 years, not ten.

As starpanda said, I was referring to the last book. I have that date engrained in my head. It was quite the experience, reading a book you knew millions of others were doing with you at the same time.

I started to read HP once the 3rd book came out I was like ok let's see what the hype is about, I went and got the first one

I couldn't read the book until I was in second grade. At that time, the first movie still hadn't come out. As I was reading, I imagined Hogwarts looking more like a hospital than a castle. I also had thought Professor Quirrell was black.

I wonder how many other old memories will resurface.

I know. Harry is 36, around your age I think.  :it:

I  <3 you. I'm a little older than Harry Potter but close enough.  >:D

My mom turned me on to the books. Saw her reading the Sorcerers Stone, she said it was great and it was.

I started to read HP once the 3rd book came out I was like ok let's see what the hype is about, I went and got the first one

This is how I got into it. All of my friends were hype as hell about the third book coming out, and since I had money to burn, I went out and bought the first two. Next thing I know, I'm sporting a Firebolt shirt, I became the last person you ever wanted to accept jelly beans from, and then I was at Walmart for midnight book releases because no motherfucker was gonna spoil me.

I do plan on rereading the whole series and maybe rewatching a couple of movies before they reached the point of pissing me off due to all of the plot holes created from being lazy adaptations.

status update: finishing prisoner of azkaban today. One quarter of the way for the entire series. No work for 3 days, so time to catch up a bit.

Also, I get the feeling another parody thread is incoming from this bump. :poop:

i never read any of the books. i watched up to the 5th movie but only cared for the first two

The books were my childhood. I think the first two are somewhat boring, as they have childish tones. The series gets progressively more adult toned.

The books were my childhood. I think the first two are somewhat boring, as they have childish tones. The series gets progressively more adult toned.

maybe that's what turned me off? the first two i thought were cute and funny. the 3rd on i thought were boring and melodramatic

maybe that's what turned me off? the first two i thought were cute and funny. the 3rd on i thought were boring and melodramatic

I wouldn't say it's melodramatic, at least the books, but that's your opinion. I thought he teenage angst phase of Harry was very annoying, but I liked seeing him slowly mature into a young adult.

Another great topic that could help revitalize the Books forum.

Idk, I think our best bet for that would be to decide on a book to read for a month and then have a discussion on it. I don't think there are many people that would be interested. I definitely would be though.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I really should do this too. :D It's been so long since I did a complete read-through of the whole series in a single go and they used to be my brain candy books for between serious type reads.

And that goes for rewatching the movies too. Every time there's a marathon of them on Freeform, they always skip 'Order of the Phoenix' . That gets irritating fast.

i haven't read them in a long time, but am glad that even when i did some few years afterwards they still held up well. especially the more serious tone of 4-7, which despite it being harry porter lended itself well to nuanced dialogue between characters.

My attitude towards many of the characters have changed in some ways. I thought I was gonna be annoyed by teenage angsty Harry's outbursts in Order of the Phoenix, but I was actually somewhat sympathetic. He was never as much of an asshole as his father was, despite being far more famous. It seems that James would have made someone like Neville his bitch, like Peter, or bullied him, like Snape. Fortunately, the story shows that people can change in their adulthood, though some people will always be childlike. I see Hagrid now as nothing but a blithering idiot. Before, I saw him as a kind, misunderstood giant.

Man, I really should do this too. :D It's been so long since I did a complete read-through of the whole series in a single go and they used to be my brain candy books for between serious type reads.

And that goes for rewatching the movies too. Every time there's a marathon of them on Freeform, they always skip 'Order of the Phoenix' . That gets irritating fast.

Why would they skip Order of the Phoenix? It's not like the film's length is longer than the other's.

This probably won't be the last time I reread the entire series, but it will be the last time I read it this quickly. I much prefer to read at a relaxed pace so I can savor the key moments in the story.

Why would they skip Order of the Phoenix? It's not like the film's length is longer than the other's.

This probably won't be the last time I reread the entire series, but it will be the last time I read it this quickly. I much prefer to read at a relaxed pace so I can savor the key moments in the story.

The only possible reasons I can think of is maybe time so they can run 1 - 4, 6 & both halves of 7 and end everything well before midnight or they somehow think that Order of the Phoenix might encourage kids to stand up to authority figures even when those authority figures are very obviously in the wrong. It could be a combination of both - Freeform used to be ABC Family or something like that and they tended to air mostly family-friendly crap whenever possible. They changed the name in order to run more aggressive materials without people losing their hair over it.

Yeah, there is something to be said about savoring a book. Although with the Harry Potter books, I always just seemed to fall into them and next thing you know the day is over and the book is done. :D

My attitude towards many of the characters have changed in some ways. I thought I was gonna be annoyed by teenage angsty Harry's outbursts in Order of the Phoenix, but I was actually somewhat sympathetic. He was never as much of an asshole as his father was, despite being far more famous. It seems that James would have made someone like Neville his bitch, like Peter, or bullied him, like Snape. Fortunately, the story shows that people can change in their adulthood, though some people will always be childlike. I see Hagrid now as nothing but a blithering idiot. Before, I saw him as a kind, misunderstood giant.

I don't understand why everyone claims James was such an asshole. He readily befriended Sirius, even though the latter came from a long line of Slytherins and fully expected to join Slytherin at their first meeting. We only see him from memories and the only person of note he was an asshole to was Snape., a boy from Slytherin, who was friends with his crush, and from Lily's own words Snape's greatest ambition is to become a Death Eater...Snape doesn't even deny it. Plus, nobody seems to account for the war going on when they were at Hogwarts. When Dumbledore drops Harry off at the Dursely's he states that everyone is celebrating because there has been little to celebrate for 14 years. The first war with Voldy lasted at least 14 years, making James 6 when Voldy rose to power. Everything that happened at Hogwarts when James, Lily, Snape, and company happened while a war waged and James hating, even "bullying" those within the school that wanted to join Voldy makes sense. James ends up being an asshole because he hated the "nazis."

i still feel the same about snape. i really like him, and can even somewhat sympathize with his anger towards harry, but he shouldn't have been as much as an ass as he was.

ive always liked the maze scene in the movie and how serious it felt. i have to re-read goblet of fire to see if it was as good in the book since ive seen the movie way more times.

Yeah, there is something to be said about savoring a book. Although with the Harry Potter books, I always just seemed to fall into them and next thing you know the day is over and the book is done. :D

I only read them that fast when they were new. Right now, I'm forcing myself to readmuch of the time, just so I can finish on time. Fortunately, Deathly Hallows is always a very swift read for me.

I don't understand why everyone claims James was such an asshole. He readily befriended Sirius, even though the latter came from a long line of Slytherins and fully expected to join Slytherin at their first meeting. We only see him from memories and the only person of note he was an asshole to was Snape., a boy from Slytherin, who was friends with his crush, and from Lily's own words Snape's greatest ambition is to become a Death Eater...Snape doesn't even deny it. Plus, nobody seems to account for the war going on when they were at Hogwarts. When Dumbledore drops Harry off at the Dursely's he states that everyone is celebrating because there has been little to celebrate for 14 years. The first war with Voldy lasted at least 14 years, making James 6 when Voldy rose to power. Everything that happened at Hogwarts when James, Lily, Snape, and company happened while a war waged and James hating, even "bullying" those within the school that wanted to join Voldy makes sense. James ends up being an asshole because he hated the "nazis."

You do have some good points. It's just that we see the entire wizarding world through the scope of Harry and Harry had said that he wouldn't have bullied Snape like that had he been in his father's position. Harry had a twinge of guilt for intruding upon Snape's memory and probably had a minute sense of sympathy at the time.

i still feel the same about snape. i really like him, and can even somewhat sympathize with his anger towards harry, but he shouldn't have been as much as an ass as he was.

ive always liked the maze scene in the movie and how serious it felt. i have to re-read goblet of fire to see if it was as good in the book since ive seen the movie way more times.

The book had the sphinx in the maze. I remember being somewhat disappointed when it didn't appear in the film. It was a cool scene.

Snape, I think, just had poor emotional control. Surely he could have just found some other witch to marry, like a normal adult would have done. Still, his tale was a touching story of unrequited love and poor life decisions.