UnevenEdge

Attack on Titan marathon for 07/01/17

Blatch

It's official; the Toonami crew has brain damage. -_'

That's going quite far.

While I think it's unnecessary to do this when 4th of July is Tuesday, the "people will take off Monday and have a 4 day weekend" argument does hold water.

Sucks that Lupin is gonna only air two episodes before this preemption but it's already at 2AM so they're pretty much just playing it for the hell of it anyway.

Glad it's not a marathon of recent Super, recent DBZ Kai or *shudders* Tokyo Ghoul. Maybe a binge session of all of the currently dubbed AoT season 2 episodes can jump start interest for that show.

Maybe we have too many government recognized holidays xD

Ah fuck really? All old episodes? The worst thing about that is it pushes back Titan one more week before it's potentially replaced by something good like JoJo....or shit like more Gundam.

What the hell would you have them do, premiere a new episode at 3:30 AM!? Granted, the ratings have been about as bad as some shows got during the "Glorious Era" of 2015-2016 right after Toonami but that's still ridiculous!

Dubbing crews probably LOVE stuff like this! They're overworked as it is for goodness sake! Plus this will give us a chance to see what AOT can do at 11 for once!

Dub crew breaks, rating peeks, big deal. I don't give a flying fuck about any of that shit. One new episode leading into the marathon so we can get this over with as soon as possible would've been nice though. And if that meant missing an episode or two at the end well, I wasn't planning on watching anyway. Once is plenty regarding watching this series.

who the hell is shooting off fireworks and partying 3 days before The 4th Of July?

it's like having a marathon due to christmas....12 days before the actual holiday!

it makes no sense

does adult swim not realize toonami is a late night insomniacs block?.....what  do  they expect people to be doing at 11:00 PM in the middle of the night on a saturday......3 days before Independence Day

i have never seen anyone go out partying or going off to run errands that late on an average saturday night

.....Why, though? Independence Day is on a Tuesday. -_'

and not only that but again Toonami Starts at a time when anything you would logically do or want to do would have already been done!  nobody's gonna be partying and running around at midnight unless they are drug addicts or crazy people

yet adult swim thinks the average american is out on the road at midnight partying....3 days before independence day

It's official; the Toonami crew has brain damage. -_'

... I would love if they chose HxH for another marathon, but sadly that may have to wait until probably Labor Day, if they don't chose Lupin III or another show for that weekend first.

But come on.  This could be a great way for those who missed the dub to finally watch it again on TV, back to back!

who the hell is shooting off fireworks and partying 3 days before The 4th Of July?

it's like having a marathon due to christmas....12 days before the actual holiday!

it makes no sense

does adult swim not realize toonami is a late night insomniacs block?.....what  do  they expect people to be doing at 11:00 PM in the middle of the night on a saturday......3 days before Independence Day

i have never seen anyone go out partying or going off to run errands that late on an average saturday night

Dude. Quit acting like people WON'T celebrate the holiday on July 1st!  That is the most convenient weekend to do it! And this goes for anyone else in this thread who says "butbutbut Toonami should have a REGULAR schedule on July 1st!"  You KNOW you'll have some kind of holiday plans then too! As will I!

Obvious Move Is Obviously Obvious, With Obviousness.

Doing A Marathon several days before the holiday is even relevant isn't an obvious move

people are gonna watch toonami more likely than not on July 1st because it's not the actual holiday and the majority of the audience isn't gonna be shooting off their fireworks that early

so why act like the fans will be too busy to watch toonami on a day on a normal saturday with no strings attached to it?

Doing A Marathon several days before the holiday is even relevant isn't an obvious move

people are gonna watch toonami more likely than not on July 1st because it's not the actual holiday and the majority of the audience isn't gonna be shooting off their fireworks that early

so why act like the fans will be too busy to watch toonami on a day on a normal saturday with no strings attached to it?

Um yeah it is.  They did marathons in previous July 4th holiday weekends.  Why would they stop now??  Do you think celebrating it on July 8th instead would be a better plan??

And don't tell me you don't have any plans for the holiday that weekend either.  TONS of fireworks will go off that weekend as well as the following Tuesday. 

then why even have toonami if the target audience is never home half the time?

This false equivalency here is just too much.

Because nobody should be arguing that if they wont play premieres on a holiday weekend that they shouldn't air Toonami at all.

Perhaps look at this way, they're willing to fall on their swords for Toonami to exist but playing it on certain weekends of the year where they have years of data to prove they wont get desirable results is a bridge too far. It's a bigger waste than spending money on Toonami in general.

Um yeah it is.  They did marathons in previous July 4th holiday weekends.  Why would they stop now??  Do you think celebrating it on July 8th instead would be a better plan??

And don't tell me you don't have any plans for the holiday that weekend either.  TONS of fireworks will go off that weekend as well as the following Tuesday.

I think not celebrating it at all, because it's half a week removed from the actual holiday, would have beena  better option.

I definitely don't have plans, because Sunday will likely be the only day I get off that week.  :|

The other marathons were never this far away from the actual holiday.  This is just ridiculous that they would use this as an excuse for another one.

Why would fireworks go off during the weekend?

Because I work at 7:00 am on July 5 and can't afford to be up super late on July 4 to do fireworks.  Thus, I plan on doing them July 1

It's illegal to shoot off fireworks within the city limits.  Not that that stops everybody but there really isn't enough room, anyway, unless you feel like setting your house or yard on fire, or the neighbors'.  And I'd rather not be around the people I'd have to be around to shoot them off outside of town.  We're probably just going to see the city's fireworks in the park... on Tuesday, on actual Fourth of July...

Seriously, most people take the closest weekend as their vacation when the 4th falls in the middle of the week like this year.

Who the hell goes on vacation for 4th of July?  That doesn't even make any sense.  I've never heard of anyone doing that.  Everybody just goes and watches their local fireworks or shoots their own off, or both.

Who the hell goes on vacation for 4th of July?  That doesn't even make any sense.  I've never heard of anyone doing that.  Everybody just goes and watches their local fireworks or shoots their own off, or both.

4th of July weekend is the busiest weekend at Hersheypark.  People come from all out of state just for that weekend.  And thats just a local amusement park.  Imagine how many people go to some of the bigger parks, like Disney or Six Flags.  Its pretty safe to say a lot of people travel that weekend.

I mean seriously, Ben, how sheltered are you?

Everyone I know and everyone around here in town just goes to watch the fireworks in the park.  I suppose you could drive into a larger city to watch fireworks or drive out into the boonies to shoot your own off but I've never heard of anyone taking dedicated cross-country trips on 4th of July.

Then again, next door, there's a lot more cars and people there than usual.  But they've been there the past several days, maybe a week or more.  Surely they wouldn't be celebrating 4th of July that long!

4th of July weekend is the busiest weekend at Hersheypark.  People come from all out of state just for that weekend.  And thats just a local amusement park.  Imagine how many people go to some of the bigger parks, like Disney or Six Flags.  Its pretty safe to say a lot of people travel that weekend.

Well that doesn't make any sense.  Every case I've heard of personally and what's been portrayed in all of the media and entertainment, fiction and non-fiction, I've consumed, asserts that 4th of July is a "stay-at-home" holiday.  This is what people do on 4th of July -

............ A LOT OF PEOPLE!!!!!!!! ALL THE PLACES I WORKED AT SET ASIDE PAID DAYS OFF FOR INDEPENDENCE DAY WEEKEND!

Again, nothing I've personally ever heard of happening or witnessed.  People are just treating it like any other vacation and travelling to some random location?  Doesn't sound very patriotic.  You're supposed to shoot off fire works and reflect on the founding of this country.  Now, you might say that using it as yet another excuse to get drunk and stuff your face (and blow shit up, as Gaffigan accurately describes), isn't so patriotic, but what you've described is less patriotic still. 

Unless maybe they were to travel to some major city with spectacular fire works, which again, one would think would be closer by.  For instance, I could travel to Austin and watch those fire works, but it's way too many people, too much traffic.  Plus, fuck Austin, it's a hive of hipsters, hippies, and hobos.  There's very few things worth going to Austin for.  CaptainStarwind[/member] does Hersheypark have fireworks?  Though this is something I always thought of going on with New Year's Eve.  4th of July falls on one single day where you don't get days off around it, unlike Christmas+New Year's, and each city is known for their own particular iconic New Year's celebration.  And again all I've ever heard of is people celebrating the 4th at home, maybe at a friend's or relative's house, but always somewhere relatively nearby, not these cross-country road trips you guys are describing.

Finally, there is no "Independence Day Weekend."  The holiday is celebrated on an actual date.  It's not like something like Thanksgiving, which is always on the last Thursday of November.  So, there's no guarantee of it falling on, much less close to, the weekend.  Like this year, it's plumb in the middle of the week practically!

The Independence Day "Weekend:"

If July 4th on a Sunday: Begins Friday, July 2nd at 5 PM and ends Monday, July 5th at Midnight

If July 4th on a Monday: Begins Friday, July 1st at 5 PM and ends Monday, July 4th at Midnight

If July 4th on a Tuesday: Begins Friday, June 30th at 5 PM and ends Tuesday, July 4th at Midnight

If July 4th on a Wednesday: Begins Tuesday, July 3rd at 5 PM and ends Sunday, July 8th at Midnight

If July 4th on a Thursday: Begins Wednesday, July 3rd at 5 PM and ends Sunday, July 7th at Midnight

If July 4th on a Friday: Begins Thursday, July 3rd at 5 PM and ends Sunday, July 6th at Midnight

If July 4th on a Saturday: Begins Thursday, July 2nd at 5 PM and ends Sunday, July 5th at Midnight

Finally, there is no "Independence Day Weekend."  The holiday is celebrated on an actual date.  It's not like something like Thanksgiving, which is always on the last Thursday of November.  So, there's no guarantee of it falling on, much less close to, the weekend.  Like this year, it's plumb in the middle of the week practically!

This can vary based on peoples' lifestyle. While the day may not fall on a weekend, people, especially in the USA, refer to the weekend that a holiday falls on to be a "holiday weekend" and they can extend the festivities to the entire 2 or 3 days off.  ex- my workplace will have the Monday and Tuesday off, even though the 4th of July actually falls on that Tuesday, leaving us with a 4-day weekend, because they know some of the workers will take a trip.  And that's not just the fourth of July holiday either! You find people talking about "the Christmas weekend", or "the Halloween weekend", or "the Labor Day weekend", or "the Mother's Day weekend", or "the Father's Day weekend", or "the Memorial Day weekend".

...what planet do you live on, Ben?  The 4th is one of the biggest beach weekends of the year (I'd assume second to only Memorial Day, and potentially Labor Day), and the same is presumably true for most summer mountain resort destinations.  It's also a huge weekend for families to get together, which often means traveling out-of-state.  This is basic social interaction.

This can vary based on peoples' lifestyle. While the day may not fall on a weekend, people, especially in the USA, refer to the weekend that a holiday falls on to be a "holiday weekend" and they can extend the festivities to the entire 2 or 3 days off.  ex- my workplace will have the Monday and Tuesday off, even though the 4th of July actually falls on that Tuesday, leaving us with a 4-day weekend, because they know some of the workers will take a trip.  And that's not just the fourth of July holiday either! You find people talking about "the Christmas weekend", or "the Halloween weekend", or "the Labor Day weekend", or "the Mother's Day weekend", or "the Father's Day weekend", or "the Memorial Day weekend".

Only ones of those I've heard in common vernacular are Memorial Day and Labor Day Weekends.  And Thanksgiving, which you didn't mention, which is always near a weekend.  Mother's Day and Father's Day people celebrate but no one calls it a weekend.  Christmas is a huge holiday that stands on its own, goes way beyond a mere weekend.  Students and workers sure as hell don't get extra days for Halloween.  Of course it works out with all the haunted houses, parties etc being in the evening and at night.

...what planet do you live on, Ben?  The 4th is one of the biggest beach weekends of the year (I'd assume second to only Memorial Day, and potentially Labor Day), and the same is presumably true for most summer mountain resort destinations.  It's also a huge weekend for families to get together, which often means traveling out-of-state.  This is basic social interaction.

Never heard of this.  I should've seen it covered by MTV, E!, et al way back when, if that were the case.  Spring Break, Cinco De Mayo, Labor Day, you name it.  Don't remember 4th of July.  Yeah people will get drunk and party, shoot off fire works, stuff their faces, but it's generally a local thing.  I don't live in a mountain resort.  Maybe all the snowbirds come down here and that's why it seems like no one goes anywhere, because... WE... don't.  It's a 4 hour drive for my family to get together... WITHIN Texas.  And I don't remember too many times when we did that for 4th of July.  Aunt and my youngest cousin just went back home tonight so I doubt they'll be back again as soon as July 4th.  We usually just go watch the fireworks in town, in the park.  Pretty good show for a city of over 50,000!  And again, if we want to shoot off our own we'd have to go into the country where my mother and her husband live and nobody wants to be around them.

Never heard of this.  I should've seen it covered by MTV, E!, et al way back when, if that were the case.

...why the fuck would you be watching trash TV for any sort of realistic depiction of family get-togethers?  You really are from another planet, or else Texas is even more of a bumblefuck backwater than it appears to be.

Edit: Seriously, this is last year's data, but there's no way you can't be vaguely aware of this.  Have you never watched a news broadcast?

...why the fuck would you be watching trash TV for any sort of realistic depiction of family get-togethers?  You really are from another planet, or else Texas is even more of a bumblefuck backwater than it appears to be.

Edit: Seriously, this is last year's data, but there's no way you can't be vaguely aware of this.  Have you never watched a news broadcast?

You said it was a "beach weekend" which is what brought the half-naked partying college kids to mind, not a "family get-together."  MTV would cover various partying locations on various holidays (never Fourth of July, I looked it up), and E! had that Wild On show, which I don't ever recall covering 4th of July either.  Then again maybe I was too mesmerized by Brooke Burke, lol.  I wouldn't be watching TV, much less the news, on 4th of July when there are actual real fireworks and stuff to be had.  You might as well ask me why I don't watch fireworks on TV instead of the ones in person. :| The area I'm in is not bumblefuck.  If you've seen other posts by me you know I hate those backwater nothing areas.  They drive me nuts.  I just went on a rant about it in the ratings thread, in fact.  And you would've just read where I said I live in a suburb of 50,000 within reasonable driving distance of Austin....

So yeah sorry I don't watch Fox Business and CNBC 24/7 like you apparently do.  Business news doesn't interest me.  Anyway, your link is the first I've heard of this phenomenon and the first proof.  The only thing there that I already figured was going on was the part about people buying a fuckton of beer.

...since when the fuck are drunk co-eds the only people who go to the beach?  Again, what plane of reality do you exist on?

And yes, it takes massive dedicated effort to read a Yahoo headline or catch a 30-second blurb on the nightly news.  You sure do have me pegged ben.