UnevenEdge

My Hero Academia Anime Discussion

BUU8800

Does anyone just number these eps by the season their in (4) instead of where in the show they are (17)?? It gets confusing.

I'm more likely to number them off by season if it has at least 20 episodes in a season. The 13 episode ones don't feel like full seasons to me, so i just count them all together. How it's counted on streaming sites I watch them on will also influence that decision.

The last episode did leave me curious about how justified is fire/ice dude's hate toward his dad.

Alright we're back with episode 18 this week covering chapters 29 and 30 from volume 4 of the original source manga. It's the Cavalry Battle Finale! And things are heating up...despite Todoroki's refusal to use his fire powers.

:D A refusal which Midoriya definitely put to the test this week by the way, but I'm getting ahead of myself. Give credit where it's due, Todoroki chose his team very wisely. Kaminari's lightning mixed with his ice made for a devastating combo. Not to mention Momo providing some solid defense...and Iida!

g97yJzr.png

Damnit man, where were you hiding that move!? :D Just like that Team Midoriya lost all their points...kinda like Bakugo last week. Speaking of, his clash with 1-B's Monoma reached its conclusion of course. Monoma's copycat quirk was interesting, and I was personally rooting for him over Bakugo, but in the end the anger was too powerful and Bakugo's team advanced. Team Midoriya was pretty impressive in chasing down Todoroki at the last second. Especially...my boy Tokoyami! Oh yeah, in addition to learning more about his shadow's power/weakness he came in huge in the end grabbing Todoroki's headband even after Deku had lost all hope.

8j7gBUa.png

Dark Shadow was certainly deserving of that Uraraka head pat! Love the blushing. :D

P1uQipX.png

I did also appreciate Uraraka's passion near the end, plus Deku remembering his team while fighting and forcing the fire out of Todoroki.

fOqAELd.png

They may have lost first place, but Team Midoriya advances! So our four teams advancing are set: Todoroki, Bakugo and Midoriya aren't too surprising but...Shinso? Huh...alright then. :D Well, no time to mull over it just now as Todoroki has called out Midoriya again! And so too has Midoriya's mentor All Might called out Todoroki's father Endeavor! How will these conversations go?

ibXWOKb.png

Oh, and cute Mama Midoriya post-credits scene:

rUJKEvI.png

ZeZvAre.png

Guess fountain tears run in the family. :D

How does each episode almost leave me in tears of joy?? This is one of the most inspirational shows I ever seen.  Midoriya's selflessness in picking Tokoyami was what ultimately kept all four of them in the tournament, once again solidifying Midoriya as the most awesome character here ever!  And Uraraka was adorable as always!  I love how this sport helped the students learn to chose their team wisely, and how to use each other's strength the best!

Another Saturday, more Academia greatness! Episode 19 this week, adapting chapters 31 and 32 from volume 4 of the original source manga. Continuing with our two tense conversations, at last we finally hear Todoroki's backstory. We learn what motivates him. After some more  probing into Deku's relationship with All Might that is. Which makes sense really, considering how for Todoroki it all revolves around Endeavor, his father. He may be the No. 2 hero, but he's also a power hungry douchebag! Forcing a woman to marry him for her quirk, hoping to produce a child that could surpass All Might. Douchebag might not be strong enough of a word really, more like monster! Poor Todoroki, with scars of the past involving his broken mother it's no wonder he strives to win without using the power he received from his father.

q8Oi0zc.png

Izuku's not about to let him have his way though! He's had help from too many people to let them down now! Very well said Deku! All is not entirely serious however as, thankfully, Kaminari and Mineta trick Momo into making cheerleader outfits for the girls of 1-A! Oh yeah! :D I'm partial to Momo and Uraraka, but really they all look good! :D

9Hb4vcO.png

FACM9qP.png

With that fun out of the way we have the final event of the sports festival: a one-on-one fighting tournament! Always gotta have at least one, right? It's tradition! :D Pretty standard rules too, but who will fight who? Aw crap, my girl Uraraka got paired off against Bakugo?!

9tipsNu.png

Damnit...well, I'll be rooting for ya girl! :D Also looks like young Midoriya has a chance of facing Todoroki...assuming they each get through the first round! Thanks for the ring Cementoss! :D Loved the little pep talk between Deku and All Might before his match. 5% eh? Hopefully it'll be enough. Well, it was fairly ominous how Ojiro felt the need to dropout at least partly because of Shinso, Izuku's opponent. And he even warned Deku about him, but why? What is Shinso's mysterious ability?

SRYTdNa.png

So a bit of news: Funimation said they would post the FIRST SIX episodes of this season dubbed on the same say it's released in Japan.  So it's uncertain if they'll even have the next dubbed episode next Saturday at all.  But with confidence we know they'll dub the whole season regardless, so we may just have to wait to hear everyone speaking English a little longer.

The cause of Todoroki's angst is revealed, and it only gets me more angry at the way the world handled quirks in that society.  Clearly it's an old shame by most of the people there but it doesn't excuse how some of that is still going on, because it results in abuse and mistreatment to their children, and it only makes me like Todoroki more. He does indeed have shades of Zuko.  The only memories you have of your mother is when her back is turned, in a fit of weeping!??  YIKES!! Patrick Seitz voices Endeavor, probably the best choice for that character now that Chris Sabat is already taken.

... now why does she even LISTEN to Mineta by this point!?  Come on!  You could easily just disassociate yourself from him, but I guess it's just bad luck.  Plus, by the time the finals come around, the girls of 1-A STILL haven't changed out of the cheerleader uniform!  Oh well, at least the guys are pleased.

Also, I am really liking that red-head from the general studies class..... Kendo is her name?  I'm glad she's finally stepping out of being a background extra.

... is Sonny Strait back?  If so, that was a speedy recovery!

^ Oh, and clearly his quirk is mind-control.

I knew about that first six episodes limit back when the season started. Doesn't bother me as I watch the sub for now. They cast Seitz as Endeavor though? Yeah, I can see that. Funny you like that red-head 1-B girl, she was a favorite among Horikoshi's assistants when first introduced. :D Also keep in mind I am up to date with the manga, so questions in my episode reviews are purely rhetorical. But, thanks for answering anyway. :D

If Deku does not waifu her in several years, I swear to god...

She wants to be a hero for money, so I'm sure she won't see an issue with hooking up with a guy who will be the next All-might. $$$

Really it seems like she wouldn't even need to be a hero for what she wants to do, just go do heavy lifting jobs. I think the creator kinda forgot that she had a drawback of getting ill when she used her power. They showed it once in the entrance exam then never again.

I'm so behind on the anime right now, the last episode I watched was the start of the cavalry battle. Interesting that Invisible girl decided to go full naked for that one while standing on 3 guys.

I also read that the Mangaka is planning on wrapping up the manga within the next year or two. He didn't want this to be a long series. Kinda disappointing, I would have liked to see them go through each year of school at least. I kinda hope that they pull a Toriyama with him and not let him end it. However Toriyama's current DBS is pretty much worse than GT so far. Him being more hands on with the anime is really killing it for me.

She wants to be a hero for money, so I'm sure she won't see an issue with hooking up with a guy who will be the next All-might. $$$

Really it seems like she wouldn't even need to be a hero for what she wants to do, just go do heavy lifting jobs. I think the creator kinda forgot that she had a drawback of getting ill when she used her power. They showed it once in the entrance exam then never again.

I'm so behind on the anime right now, the last episode I watched was the start of the cavalry battle. Interesting that Invisible girl decided to go full naked for that one while standing on 3 guys.

I also read that the Mangaka is planning on wrapping up the manga within the next year or two. He didn't want this to be a long series. Kinda disappointing, I would have liked to see them go through each year of school at least. I kinda hope that they pull a Toriyama with him and not let him end it. However Toriyama's current DBS is pretty much worse than GT so far. Him being more hands on with the anime is really killing it for me.

She was wearing pants. Also only 2 of her teammates were guys. Kyoka "Earphone Jack" Jiro was on her team too.

No...just...no. :D :D :D :D :D Super has disappointed me at times admittedly but last I checked it still hasn't doomed Piccolo to be in hell for all eternity. That alone makes it superior to GT.

But enough about that, onwards! To this week's new episode! It's episode 20 this week, adapting chapters 33 and 34 from volume 4 of the original source manga. It's Midoriya vs Shinso in match 1 of the one-on-one tournament! And in addition to having a chip on his shoulder we finally learn about Shinso's quirk: mind control! Damnit Deku! And even after Ojiro warned you you still responded to him entering his trap! As he walks closer and closer towards his defeat, desperate for anyway to break the trance Deku sees...several pairs of eyes? In the entrance-way?

WpxdJOC.png

What in the...but wait! He's done it! At the cost of his finger...ouch. But who were those shadowy figures? Oh Shinso, poor boy picked the wrong person to cry to about being born with a good quirk. If anyone knows that pain it's my boy Midoriya! :D And after a brief struggle it's...Midoriya with the flip to move on!

9FyUpHo.png

And after the fight Shinso receives some, imo, deserved praise from the audience, heroes and general studies students alike. Don't give up Shinso! And nicely done Deku. :D But that vision? Might All Might have any ideas? The previous wielders of One-For-All? Very interesting...but no time to ruminate just now. Todoroki's confronting his douchebag dad and he ain't happy!

RJE95DA.png

Todoroki's resolved to win with ice alone, but can he do it? Well if his match with tapeboy Sero is any indication I like his chances! :D Geez Todoroki...talk about overkill!

7Kd46Rs.png

Taking out some of your frustrations? Not exactly heroic but a win's a win I guess. Even if Deku doesn't like the sadness he's seeing. But enough of that for now, we still have plenty more matches!

It's episode 21 this week, adapting chapter 35, the last chapter from volume 4 of the original source manga. That's right, just one chapter adapted this week, but it kinda makes sense. We're going through several of the remaining one-on-one fights. Shiozaki vs Kaminari, Iida vs. Mei, Ashido vs. Aoyama, Momo vs. Tokoyami, and Tetsutetsu vs. Kirishima. The anime decided to flesh out some of these in between fights a bit, giving them more time than in the manga and I'm glad it did. Always nice to see secondary characters getting some spotlight. Especially my boy Tokoyami!

:D

8d5xkKI.png

Although Mei's advertising intent was certainly...practical. :D

MtCgDFG.png

And Ashido was pretty badass in her own right.

6w4F04t.png

All the while Uraraka's match with Bakugo looms ever closer. Poor girl, she doesn't seem too confident.

zZaA7sZ.png

How nice of Deku to offer her a strategy. Hopefully one day he'll offer her a marriage strategy! :D That thumbs up though...so adorable. Well, I'm definitely rooting for ya girl! Good luck!

PpPIXXw.png

I'm thankful that this tournament has been fast and didn't force you to watch episode length matches of characters that don't really matter (not that I don't love them!)

This upcoming match is definitely worthy of an episode though. I'm really cheering on Ochako, though I have a feeling Bakugo will end up being the victor.

We've got episode 22 this week, adapting chapters 36 and 37 with juuuust a bit of 38 to begin volume 5 of the original source manga. It's Bakugo vs. Uraraka to end the first round of the one-on-one tournament! Uraraka's got heart, craftiness, and more than a little toughness.

5Yitgm1.png

I loved her move that gathered all the rock fragments to hurl at Bakugo. Reminded me a bit of a similar move Piccolo used on Android 17 in DBZ. Unfortunately however in the end the difference in power between her and her opponent was simply too great to overcome. She shouldn't feel bad, but the tears during her conversation with her father were certainly understandable, and rough to see. :(

I3wna49.png

Bakugo's still a huuuuge douchebag as far as I'm concerned, but even he acknowledged her toughness...for whatever that's worth. And speaking of douchebags we quickly move from a crushing defeat to a startling encounter as young Midoriya comes face-to-face with Endeavor!

QIioxZl.png

The awful father is counting on Izuku to give his son a valuable learning experience, but Deku's not about to let him have his way. You tell that asshole! In either event the sparks are sure to fly as the big match is finally about to begin, it's Todoroki vs Midoriya! Who will come out on top?

3k3lO22.png

Alright it's time for episode 23 this week, adapting chapters 38 and 39 with a bit of 40 from volume 5 of the original source manga. Izuku Midoriya vs Shoto Todoroki at last! And the struggle is intense, both outwardly on the battlefield and inwardly as we finally get a better glimpse into Young Todoroki's conflicted mind. Of his past with his mother. And it's all thanks to Deku! Who manages to show some impressive moves of his own!

NPvuOk8.png

Enduring the pain while at the same time reminding Todoroki that he is his own person.

DnppLTm.png

You might say Deku manages to ignite the flame within Todoroki...literally and figuratively! :D

GghT8mV.png

Resulting in some incredible destructive power in a final clash! And when the dust settles it's...Todoroki moving on!

U9vnJtK.png

Sorry you feel like you're the only one posting in this thread for the past week. :/

Deku, you wonderful, sweet son of a bitch.  Only you could have convinced Todoroki to stop worrying about his father and go all out!

We already know what Todoroki's life was like, but now we get to see every tragic, ugly detail. And it's heart-wrenching. His mom having bad luck when he happened to eavesdrop on her call, expressing how she just had it with raising the kid. And how his dad is an utter crap person for abusing her. I really wanted to see him get some kind of comeuppance near the end of the ep, but instead the episode cuts right after Midnight announces the winner. I hope Todoroki gives him the lecture he deserves. I hope the karma comes up later.

I love how it turns out that Todoroki was ALSO a fan of All Might, like Deku!  That is a great parallel (I am reminded of the premise for Little Witch Academia too)! 

Deku is going to have some killer arthritis in the next few years.  Still this episode does make me think of what heros would make more powerful kids. Bakugo's mom has Glycerin sweat which keeps her skin looking young, and his dad has a mild oxidation sweat that can explode. The combo of those quirks made it so Bakugo can make huge explosions from his sweat.  I would say Bakugo's best match for a superior child would be Ashido. The result would probably be the ability to launch an explosive acid. Bakugo would also match well with Hado, who's power is enhanced shockwaves.

Deku is going to have some killer arthritis in the next few years.  Still this episode does make me think of what heros would make more powerful kids. Bakugo's mom has Glycerin sweat which keeps her skin looking young, and his dad has a mild oxidation sweat that can explode. The combo of those quirks made it so Bakugo can make huge explosions from his sweat.  I would say Bakugo's best match for a superior child would be Ashido. The result would probably be the ability to launch an explosive acid. Bakugo would also match well with Hado, who's power is enhanced shockwaves.

All powers have a limit.  Can Deku become injured enough for Recovery Girl to be unable to heal him completely, so he'd have to let the rest of his wounds just heal the normal way after that? 

We're moving right along with episode 24 this week, adapting chapters 40 and 41 with some of 42 plus a bit of added material from volume 5 of the original source manga. Izuku may be out, but the fights aren't over yet! And Iida's sharing the spotlight this week. But first, Young Todoroki gave quite the ego slap to his dad.

:D Forgot all about him? Dayum! :D

EtPCJpt.png

Izuku's injuries are fierce, and even with his friends visiting him the tone is hardly light. The boy really needs to find a way to stop destroying himself using his power. That aside, it's nice to see his heroism pointed out.

cPE9q7G.png

And All Might being revealed as initially quirkless himself is a pretty interesting note. Plus that brief glimpse of his master(not seen in the manga at this point) and his reassuring Deku were sweet.

zsC7LZs.png

mF9OgJq.png

Nice that we got some more extended fights as opposed to the manga this week too such as Iida's first and Tokoyami's. This episode really excelled at extending the source material. Bakugo vs Kirishima eh? Interesting, but Iida's fights and motivations interest me far more. It's been a bit since he mentioned his hero family back in season one, with brother Ingenium of particular import. Considering Deku's loss Iida losing to Todoroki in the semifinals wasn't particularly surprising...but he put up a good fight.

SjvVB2W.png

And that ending certainly was! Iida's brother cut down by a hero killer? Guess the world doesn't stop moving for a sports festival and some interesting goings on are no doubt coming our way...eventually! :D

EBhzsZx.png

Poor Tokoyami though...a bad matchup against Bakugo. And we have our finals! Todoroki vs Bakugo!

Well at this point it's looking like the tournament will be over by next week!  I would've loved if it lasted forever! There are so many characters I want to see in action and know more about.  But since Deku is no longer in the game, I suppose the author just said "whelp fuck it".  Now the final match is between the two Class 1A students with fire powers, and one of em also has ICE powers, so I am routing for the duel-powered one. No wonder Todoroki has such a huge presence on the season poster.

As predicted, Tokoroki (kind of) stuck it to his old man!  "Maybe I don't need you" and "I forgot about you" were the perfect one-sentence disses to say to him, and I was so happy. In fact, this episode was full of moments that made me pump my fist. 

ALSO predictable was Recovery Girl having to do more than a simple kiss on the arm. I suppose she can't simply heal worse injuries 100%, but I assume her "surgeries" aren't performed in the usual way either.  She says that this quirk is too much for Deku to handle before he kills himself, and suggests they think of another way he can use it.  Mind-control won't work, as it will just cause damage to the BRAIN instead, which in a way would be worse than motor skills injuries.  Maybe he can enhance his quirk and protect himself using machinery or prosthetics. I gotta remember the microwave simile they used in Season 1.  Poor Deku realized he was NOT special after all, and was THIS close to giving up the quirk, until All Might again give him an inspirational pep talk.  :( 

It's great seeing Class B being totally flabbergasted that the final 4 players are from Class A. :P

The hero killer called Stain makes his anime debut and he is indeed menacing.  This is clearly setting things up for the conflict in the next arc, and he already has connections to the heroes since he got Iida's brother, whom he barely got to know.  I sense some Rin/Yukio vibes from them.

I'm returning here to chime in on my thoughts on the second season thus far (as I have been patiently waiting for each new episode every week with anticipation). It is a great show, I love the message, it feels like a more individualistic "naruto" with a much more likeable and relatable story line. I'd put this in my top 5 shonen at this point easily, probably number 3 behind hunter x hunter and one piece (though it arguably could be just as good if not better if the quality and direction continues in this manner).

Deku is my favorite main protagonist from any shonen anime ever, he is likable and relatable on many levels. He is NOT portrayed in the cliche "hidden mary-sue magical power up manner" that so many other shonen protagonists fall into. There are vary few anime that have this kind of slow build up of a character's identity, power, and doing it directly in proportion to effort. And this is by far the best use of this type of character development I have seen in a shonen anime.

This is not a perfect anime by any means, it does have some cliches of shonen in it, but I think that what really makes it stand out to me is not that it tries to cover these up in some way but rather uses and accepts these tropes in smart ways that make sense and add to the story. The writing for this genre of anime is just good in other words.

We've reached the climax of the sports festival with episode 25 this week, adapting the second half of chapter 42 through 44 to finish off volume 5 of the original source manga. It's Bakugo vs Todoroki in the final round! Bakugo is anxious to prove himself and certainly comes at Todoroki full force. But after his mind got shattered by Deku Todoroki's....really not feeling it. Bakugo wins!

Og4iYj9.png

Though the victory feels...somewhat hollow without Todoroki using full power. As Bakugo so animatedly conveyed during the award ceremony. :D

EC5OmAC.png

Still, a lot to chew on for several characters after this arc. Iida his brother.

VkWn05Y.png

Todoroki his mom...and dad I guess.

1eVs3w1.png

And Uraraka's got her parents too.

NvrJOgM.png

To say nothing of Young Midoriya's power control problems.

1bAVSNO.png

So after a bit of downtime for all involved just where will our story go from here?

Well that was certainly satisfying! ... which is more than I can say for Bakugo's feelings.  :P  Goodess, guy, you WON.  Cheer the hell up.

I realized that, unlike a lot of shonen protagonists, these characters have such loving parents who taught them how to be good sports. For the most part. Todoroki's life was hell, and only now did he get the courage to visit his mom.  That shot of her appearing calm, and comforting... it cleverly mirrored that previous shot of her being scared, implying that he can finally stop being tortured by horrible memories, and move on.  It really got to me.

So I just started watching this like 3 days ago and ended up marathoning it. Enjoying it a lot so far. Reminds me of early Naruto which isn't a bad thing. I like the whole super hero aspect, it is popular right now and enjoyable. Also like most of the characters introduced so far, Looking forward to more.

Also we have a new opening and ending coming within the next couple episodes so...looking forward to that. :D

One of my favorite characters in the series, Gran Torino, is also mentioned in the article. In the manga he made his debut shortly after the sports festival. So why am I mentioning him now? Because the anime actually already briefly introduced him back in episode 14(Season 2, Episode 1) so I don't really consider it a spoiler. Still, that's all I'll say for now. :D

We've moving on with episode 26 this week, adapting chapter 45 and half of 46 to begin volume 6 of the original source manga. The Sports Festival may have ended, but its effects linger in the form of exposure. That's right, it's time for the students of Class 1-A to do some field study with professional heroes! But who will they get to have these internships with? Well mostly those who liked what they saw at the festival! But while the students are still deciding it's time at last to pick their hero names! With guest teacher Midnight on hand to judge, looking as lovely as ever.

6BKzUNr.png

Some of the names chosen are appropriately cute, punny and goofy.

UOnv1sK.png

While others are a bit...out there. Young Iida's ultimate decision to not take on the name of his fallen brother Ingenium seemed appropriately pained and solemn. While Young Midoriya's is...well...pure Deku. :D

fso8T1x.png

Wear it with pride! A fun time had by all...or some...to be sure, but what was perhaps not so fun? Well Iida's rather ominous behavior and attitude for one.

A2adVi0.png

Hope the boy is thinking clearly. But also...All Might's reaction to learning the identity of the one hero who specifically requested to take on Young Midoriya for his internship!

YJ88F7I.pngg

What might this nervousness portend? Just who is the mysterious former teacher of All Might, Gran Torino? Wily badass!?

Zi95jHC.png

Or senile old coot?

VGqnQoL.png

Also I was surfing youtube just now and randomly came across a pretty well done fan animation of the first ending of the Kekkai Sensen anime with the Academia cast replacing the original. I found it kinda cringey but cute at the same time. :D Just be warned before you watch: there are some as of where the anime is right now manga-only characters included, plus the ending has a pretty key scene the anime definitely won't be covering this year. Though it's brief and you'd probably only recognize it in context of already knowing about it: