UnevenEdge

My Hero Academia Anime Discussion

BUU8800

After a week off we've entered a new month and arc with episode 27 this week, "Bizarre! Gran Torino Appears" adapting the rest of chapter 46 through 48 with some jump cuts from volume 6 of the original source manga. We've got a very interesting new opening this week, I like it! Nice touch with Deku's opening narration. Anyway, Young Midoriya has met Gran Torino at last! And while the old master may have a screw or two loose his impressive speed is nothing to joke about!

H5vhgJw.png

Horikoshi, the series' author, wrote in a character profile about him that Gran Torino gave off a "Dagobah feeling." An obvious nod to Yoda, yet another Star Wars reference in a series full of them. And it's pretty easy to see why this episode. That badass!

L8YJS2V.png

Yes, just as Yoda taught Luke Gran Torino is trying to show Izuku another way to look at how he uses his power. And I'd say the results look promising so far.

6UEcZht.png

Who knew taiyaki held such a power? :D

vDXWLro.png

I do so love the unconventional old master character archetype and Gran Torino's one of my favorites. Gotta love seeing him make All Might spew. :D

B9FUztk.png

The mini character profile commercial cards are also a welcomed addition. Of course Young Midoriya's isn't the only student internship currently going on, and it's nice to see some glimpses into some of the others. I definitely love Best Jeanist, the Number 3 err 4? Hero, attempting to reform Bakugo. :D

SN3ag9W.png

While Uraraka admires Gunhead and Momo shows perhaps too much faith in Uwabami. :D

YbkzM3g.png

x8YKkWN.png

And then there's Iida, still out for vengeance.

ug1bk3S.png

There were even several the manga didn't really show. Another fine example of anime expansion material. And of course the world continues to turn even while the students remain hard at work. Hero Killer Stain and Shigaraki had a pretty intense meeting for instance.

UCl90pI.png

Pretty cool new fantasy ed too, hope we keep up that momentum as Midoriya challenges Gran Torino once more!

qrblGcx.png

Moving right along it's episode 28 this week, "Midoriya and Shigaraki" adapting chapters 49 and 50 plus a previously skipped scene from 47 from volume 6 of the original source manga. A very fitting episode title this week as we get some intense exchanges involving both characters...though with other people. Young Midoriya's rematch with Gran Torino was fun, and it's nice to see him making progress. Growing, evolving, managing to graze the elderly hero.

X0KeOWR.png

Even if he's mostly getting clobbered along the way. I just love One For All: Full Cowl. :D

SB7tROc.png

Shigaraki's meeting with Hero Killer Stain on the other hand was pretty crazy. That psychotic smile of his while being pinned down by Stain particularly stands out.

gzwJ5Z5.png

And with Stain returning to Hosu, Young Iida's current location hoping to find him, things will only get more chaotic.

rcTmAcl.png

Especially with Shigaraki and Kurogiri unleashing some more Nomus there, one of which happens to bring Deku and Gran Torino into the fray!

CS410dJ.png

The pace of the goings on are heating up, and that isn't even taking into consideration the ominous news All Might received about the previously captured Nomu being given multiple quirks somehow.

NoasuTX.png

And that ending! Be careful what you wish for Iida, as the saying goes, but well we'll see. I can't wait for this struggle against Stain, should be awesome! :D

ygGaJiF.png

NOTE: Funimation is no longer uploading broadcast dubs of the episodes on the same week, due to their schedule. They skipped this week.  This means the dubs are now a week behind, making tons more people watch the subs instead. 

I wonder what kind of ruckus Gran Torino was thinking of had Nomu not crashed into the train and wreck havoc around the city.

Alright and it's episode 29 this week, "UA Students vs. Hero Killer Stain," or possibly the reverse of that, adapting chapters 51 and 52 with 53 from volume 6 of the original source manga. Yes, the fight with Hero Killer Stain has at last begun in earnest! And while that appropriately remains the focus I should first give a quick shout out to badass Gran Torino fighting that Nomu.

O0wbqbs.png

And I enjoyed his interactions with the bemused Endeavor. But if Endeavor is on the scene then...well anyway, while Deku rushes to reach Iida the emotionally unstable youth gets taken down pretty easily by Stain. I loved Stain's mini-lecture about Iida's blind rage and lack of heroism. Failing to notice an obvious rescue opportunity.

FNj3bcf.png

But just as despair begins to set-in it's Young Midoriya on the scene with a clean hit!

DH1ewP7.png

Now Deku's got his hero priorities straight. Something Stain somewhat humorously realizes.

BDYdb92.png

Deku showed off some impressive movements in their brief tussle, but it wasn't enough. And he too falls prey to Stain's strange, paralyzing blade. Not all is lost however as Young Todoroki has arrived! Can the three now work together to take down Stain? What will Young Iida do?

u2AMknx.png

But anyway...it's episode 30 this week, "Climax," adapting chapters 54 - 56 to begin volume 7 of the original source manga. As this episode's title explained we got the climax to Young Midoriya, Todoroki, and Iida's struggle against Hero Killer Stain, and boy was it glorious!

:D It was pretty epic and rewarding to at last see Iida get his act together and honor the name Ingenium. And him breaking Stain's blade,

XO4LBBN.png

and carrying out that combo with Deku was very badass!

XoDqIDL.png

And speaking of badass...Gran Torino! Glad he didn't let Endeavor upstage him and crushed that Nomu flat!

Z6NLQgM.png

Unfortunately nobody reacted quickly enough to prevent that other Nomu from abducting Deku though! Nobody that is besides Stain!

tP9KaBJ.png

And in saving Deku he solidified himself as a complex, grey character who stands by his beliefs. Very interesting stuff, and his conviction made for quite a strong and unsettling visual with him finally passing out still standing on his feet.

TyMLC5t.png

And so ends the threat of Stain.

There was a debate I saw on MAL regarding if he's even really a villain but either way he's certainly an antagonist and yes I agree.

He is a villain in regards that he kills "heros".  His character is somewhat sympathetic though as he shares many of Deku's ideals of what a hero should stand for. The difference is that Deku isn't killing Hero's that don't live up to his standard.  He's pretty much anti-consumerism and believes that Hero's shouldn't be doing TV ads and endorsements, or at least the ones that do more of that than actual hero work.

And at the same time adding a little extra is nice.

Yeah I don't read manga much so I'm not too familiar with the source material but I trust they can execute an anime only episode at this point, it's a top 5 shonen for me now, maybe just a step behind HxH 2011, Brotherhood, Gintama

With all that said...it's episode 31 this week, "The Aftermath of Hero Killer Stain," adapting the second half of chapter 56 and 57 from volume 7 of the original source manga. Stain has been captured, with Endeavor getting the credit. And the very...interesting...looking Hosu Chief of Police explains why to Young Midoriya, Todoroki and Iida in the hospital.

W15jtE3.png

Talk about a crazy design...he's a dog. That's it, just a dog. :D I liked the bit of world building going on in this scene, and throughout the episode really. Plus his personal little showing of appreciation towards the boys was genuinely touching.

fqd2qmO.png

Back to that world building though, Stain may be apprehended, but the world has taken notice of his ideology. And several new characters with interesting designs of their own have sprung up to potentially take up his cause...or just inflict mayhem and destruction.

kg0H6FX.png

FQUOWDh.png

Really it's all laid out rather nicely, and ominously with Gran Torino's phone call with All Might. And speaking of ominous....All For One eh? Deeply connected with All Might and his master? Ooh I can't wait to see where we go from here! :D

horPlRP.png

With little fanfare it's episode 32 this week, "Everyone's Internships." And as promised in the aftermath of Hero Killer Stain's rampage we got a largely anime-only expanded look at some of the less prominent Class 1-A students out in the field. Complete with some unique new characters. And the results were...interesting I'd say.

:D I won't ever complain about getting to see more Uraraka. Ditto Tsuyu and Jiro among others. Not really alot else to say though. A fun, cute episode. Our students remain well on their way to becoming heroes!

0cu38Vq.png

We've got episode 33 this week, "Listen Up!! A Tale From the Past," adapting chapter 58 - 59 from volume 7 of the original source manga, and boy is it a big one. Here it is at last! Arguably the single most important episode of the series so far. But first, some levity. Including a sweet little scene of Deku thanking/leaving Gran Torino,

Em0Qptx.png

some pervy peeping attempts by Mineta,

w3TsmMF.png

and a brief hero exercise.

4sIUAP5.png

So close Young Izuku! And then, on to the main event! All Might finally reveals the secret origins of One For All to Deku.

sy5cwRt.png

As well as the looming threat of its accidental creator, All For One. Incapacitated by All Might, he continues to operate from the shadows. Mentoring Shigaraki and his League of Villains. As something of a history enthusiast I can still remember how fascinated I was by this backstory reading it in the manga.

KtfhvBY.png

Young Midoriya has certainly got his work cut out for him. But hey, he's still in school, and support from his friends and All Might will always be there...right?

XB0ObJI.png

Well that threat's for the future anyway. Right now it's time for more lessons! With a promised forest trip looming on the horizon, what else might first be in store for Class 1-A?

Wjqyx4C.png