UnevenEdge

My Hero Academia Anime Discussion

BUU8800

My copy of the Season 2 Part 1 LE plus Volume 12 of the manga just came in earlier today! God they look so lovely on my shelf, totally fanboying out right now. xD 

But uhhhhh.....yeah. Season 3 begins a week from today! And technically under a week now since the episode will have already come out by now. Let's go!

So this weekend's episode draws ever closer. We should be resuming the series with the 39th episode overall. Now as some of you might have read or even seen if you were there Funimation screened the Season 3 premiere at Anime Boston last week. But now I'm reading they actually screened Episode 40, the second episode, and that 39 is actually just gonna mostly be another recap episode with a little bit of new material. Whether this was intentional on their part or not I'm not sure, but if you'll recall last season started with an episode that was pretty much entirely recap that isn't considered a main episode number. On the Blu-Rays it's considered episode 13.5. From what I understand episode 39 will be similar to that one, but probably have a bit more new stuff which is why it isn't being called 38.5. All that is to say that when episode 39 finally does premiere on Saturday morning it probably isn't going to be what Funimation showed at Anime Boston. I say probably because the source I'm using isn't official but is just about never wrong with stuff like this. But we'll see either way I guess.

EDIT: And here it is, Funi will not have the Dub ready for Episode 39 afterall this weekend and will start the simuldub with Episode 40 next week, the one they showed at Anime Boston.

Edited by BUU8800

And so the time has come at last for the third season of My Hero Academia to begin! And we do begin with "Game Start," the 39th episode overall. Inspired largely off of an extra double-page spread at the end of Volume 5 of the original source manga it's time for some anime-original pool antics!

1oBMuX2.png

And I gotta say, I do sympathize with Mineta and Kaminari's desires. I mean the girls look fantastic in swimwear, especially Momo my god! xD But all of them do really. Well I suppose it was nice to start back into the series, recap bits aside, but I'm certainly ready for things to begin progressing even more with the main storyline next week! Oh, and yeah, fun op/ed. Visuals were very nice in particular.

UmpQ3vN.png

• Thanks 1

Episode 39 is a recap, but has surprisingly more original content that I expected!  We're goin to da pool!

Love the new OP though I could do without the autotune. The ED has some touching moments with the students, and even in-progress animation sketches, which i thought the Japanese were averse to showing in final edits.

Funimation's dub is delayed because the Japanese studio couldn't get them the files in time, but they say they'll release it soon, and the dub of Episode 40 is on time as of now.

• Like 1

By the way, and this is rather off topic, but I just got called out for a formatting issue regarding my post on MAL by some jackass and I'm not sure what they meant and don't wanna respond to them so I figured I'd ask here: do those two images I posted in my episode 39 post automatically appear huge for anyone or something? Cause they're looking fine to me, but I am using a different computer than I did while I took my season two screengrabs from last year and when I compare some images I took from then to these two these two definitely have larger proportions. But, for me anyway, they only actually appear ridiculously huge when I view the images separately in a new tab and click on them to increase the size. In my post itself they look fine so far as I can tell. So I'm wondering if they're appearing huge in my post for everyone else except me, or if that guy was just being an ass and they're fine. If it's the former I have a guess as to why and will attempt to adjust for next week, but I don't really wanna go through the hassle if this guy was just being a dick. I'd appreciate someone letting me know. :)

Alright then it's episode 40 this week, "Wild, Wild Pussycats." Adapting the rest of Chapter 70 and 71 to finish off Volume 8 of the original source manga. At last, the forest training camp has begun! And we get to see a somewhat extended look at the forest of beasts. The scenario of training before you even eat reminds me a bit of early Dragon Ball, in a good way. I love the creature designs, as well as their immunity against Koda's ability. Who we've still seen too little of to this point. And it was nice to see everyone get to show their stuff a little bit. But I'm getting ahead of myself. I do so enjoy scenes like the students acting like kids on the bus. And the Pussycats for whom the episode is named...leave quite the impression don't they? xD 

t9NZIZ0.png

Speaking of, that bath scene! Too bad for Mineta, but I admire his spirit. xD Oh yeah, that was quite the view young Kota got.

ihEQEgD.png

And a solid save by Midoriya! And even after getting punched in the junk earlier too, a true hero. xD Poor Kota though, to lose both parents at such a young age. His attitude isn't really surprising. So we're gonna get some quirk strengthening training! This should be fun! 

sT5QGae.png

• Like 1

Really? They spend a full minute showing us the scene from Season 2 first off??

I understand these pussycats are supposed to be the elite troupe specialized in outdoors missions, but why r they cats??  Maybe if they were modeled after wild cats, I would approve a tad more. 

Holy shit this episode is awesome so far!!

Oh look Ochako is holding her mouth like she's about to barf.  They DID remember!

Ugh now I wanna go to a ryoken.

Dammit look how RIPPED Deku got!  :o

Edited by elfie
  • Like 1

Deku's physique definitely stood out. But if you remember he got that working out with All Might cleaning the beach waaay back in season one. Still, it'd be easy for them to just draw a generic thin kid body so it's nice that they're keeping up in the details department.

• Like 1

Right? Like Deku is getting ripped hahahah. But man, now they get to improve their own quirks. I bet that will be pretty cool to see. I also want to see more of that little kid who despises heroes(More than likely for the wrong reason). So more backstory on him will be cool too. Also, sexy cat ladies. Yum

• Like 1

Kota, oh yes we'll be seeing much more with him. Interestingly enough, for a geek like me anyway, next week's episode title is his name, "Kota." Why is that interesting? Because that's also the title for Chapter 71 of the manga, which was adapted this week. Guess they really wanted to use it anyway though for next week. Well it's not like it's not still applicable I suppose. xD 

48 minutes ago, BUU8800 said:

Kota, oh yes we'll be seeing much more with him. Interestingly enough, for a geek like me anyway, next week's episode title is his name, "Kota." Why is that interesting? Because that's also the title for Chapter 71 of the manga, which was adapted this week. Guess they really wanted to use it anyway though for next week. Well it's not like it's not still applicable I suppose. xD 

Interesting haha. Looks like next week will surely be entertaining as well

Edited by MegaNaraku
  • Like 1

And it's "Kota" this week, the 41st episode overall adapting Chapters 72 and 73 from Volume 9 of the original source manga. It's time for some quirk strengthening! And in most cases that involves repeated and prolonged use. Good luck hanging in there everyone. I'm not sure I wanna know what horror Tokoyami was facing. xD 

qcrcroc.png

Well it was nice to see the rest of the Pussycats this week. Namely Tiger and Ragdoll.

3z2ZtSp.png

The four of them make a nice team, but what about the titular Kota? Seems Young Midoriya knew a bit about his parents. Yes, the general public's feelings regarding quirks aren't exactly uniform. And considering his own circumstances it figures Izuku would empathize with Kota. But the poor child just isn't having any of it. Well as Todoroki said actions speak louder than words.

CxsDzpd.png

The partnering up and attempted trades during the test of courage were fun. Arguably the two best-girls in Uraraka and Tsuyu even got paired up. But with a group from the league of villains on the scene courage isn't the only thing that's about to get tested! Look out Kota!

PNsEEH8.png

Edited by BUU8800

Jesus the pacing of this anime just gets faster and FASTER! You cannot even blink to catch all the details!  I suppose that's the thing with large casts of TWO classes.  I really wish they had delved more into Class B by now.  Am I wrong for finding out more of them??

Honestly I tend to forget they even exist, but there are certainly some interesting characters among them. Both design and personality wise. And yeah, I usually re-read the manga chapters I think each episode will adapt shortly before the episodes release and the adaptation of the material has been really great lately. You pretty much don't even need to read Chapters 72 or 73 if you've seen this episode, that's how well the scenes from them were adapted, basically word for word. And it may even improve upon the material by adding little extra tidbits like actually showing us Deku training with All Might and Gran Torino while thinking about them. Very nice pacing indeed. Hope it keeps it up.

The only thing that bothers me about the dub is how they say Midoriya. It's both not like the Japanese pronunciation and not how I say it to myself while reading the manga, even since before the anime even existed. So I find it to be something I wince at.

Edited by BUU8800

Episode 42 this week, "My Hero," adapting Chapters 74 - 76 from Volume 9 of the original source manga. The villains are here! Watch out when facing Dabi Aizawa! Everyone's entering into troubles, but at least they're paired off. Well except Kota! Who has run into the source of his tragedy.

weggL0L.png

Thank goodness Deku arrived in time, like a badass.

ATrBSUB.png

And showing off that heroic spirit. 1,000,000%? Gotta love it. xD 

jWPMUOI.png

This was one of the best episodes of the entire series. Easily top 3, probably the most emotionally impactful moment for Deku thus far. I had tears in my eyes by the end. I've only ever cried during two other shonens, once during One Piece, and a couple times during Hunter x Hunter, this show will now be the third. It's quickly approaching masterpiece level of writing in regards to the genre.

I have a feeling by the end of this series, it will be one of those shows by which the entire genre is measured in terms of quality going forward.

Also, I have to say I'm angry that I feel the need to change my avatar gif to Deku's scene at the end of this episode, but I am going to restrain myself until Adult Swim catches up our friends on here so as not to spoil.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BUU8800 said:

Well his mom was his first fan....or maybe All Might since his mom doubting him and her guilt towards it is an important plot point early on, but still. xD 

Well yeah his mom will forever be his first and strongest fan of all. That is her quirk.  I read a very sweet fan comic of his mom attending a school conference and they showed her a comic Deku drew of "his most favorite hero".  No points for correctly guessing who it is.

The moment All Might muttered to himself that Deku is "so cool" is the moment I knew MHA isn't just an average shonen.

• Like 1

For whatever it's worth I actually don't mind an "average shonen." And I'm really referring to Black Clover which I enjoy despite all the(accurate if overblown) complaints about it being too similar to Naruto and whatnot. Something doesn't have to be original to be enjoyable for me, but it is nice that Academia can do both.

• Like 1

Alright it's time for episode 43 this week, "Drive it Home, Iron Fist!!" adapting Chapters 77 - much of 79 from Volume 9 of the original source manga. Deku may have triumphed over Muscular in spectacular fashion, but the battle took a heavy toll on his body, and there are still plenty of villains on the attack, with students out in the open! Nice to see Aizawa alright from Dabi's attack last episode.

tO6567U.png

And Deku has left Kota in his trusty hands. Defend yourselves students, you've got permission! And they're after Bakugo err Kacchan! xD We got Tsuyu and Uraraka fending off Toga, Bakugo and Todoroki tackling the bondage tooth-freak Moonfish, and of course Kendo with our titular main man Tetsutestsu from 1-B jumping into the gas head on! That's the way! Nice teamwork.

SpMm13p.png

But oh goodness, Dark Shadow is on the rampage! Damn that's quite the spectacle.

23omGuk.png

Edited by BUU8800

Just me now apparently, but that's okay. xD We've got "Roaring Upheaval" this week, the 44th episode overall covering the rest of Chapter 79 through 80 to finish off Volume 9 of the original source manga, as well as 81 from Volume 10. Dark Shadow is on the rampage! But that's alright, cause I love the way Deku thinks when asked to choose between helping Tokoyami or Bakugo: do both! It Is the true hero's response after all. xD And it's pretty convenient in some respects, such as Dark Shadow taking care of that freak Moonfish.

OWUC9f9.png 

And Bakugo and Todoroki are probably the best two candidates to help a rampaging shadow quirk what with their own rather flashy ones to counter it. Also nice to see Uraraka showing off some moves she learned during her internship against Toga.

ELmnPar.png

She didn't get away unscathed though, and Toga certainly left a...disturbing impression. But when things seem to be going so well Bakugo's fate becomes even more endangered. Save him Midoriya!

FekFXHV.png

Well I guess I should say everyone because it really has been a team effort so far. Shoji, Todoroki, Uraraka, Momo, etc..., but now that everyone is gathering together we're no doubt in for one crazy scramble! xD 

ZLUtwb4.png

Deku was in constant stress mode, and running around for so long with those injuries like it was nothing he gave off a Rambo-esque vibe to me. Even though he was actually being carried through it the whole time, literally via Shoji taxi. xD 

• Haha 1

And on that lovely note....it's episode 45 this week, "What a Twist!" adapting chapter 82 - 83 from Volume 10 of the original source manga. The fight is on to rescue Bakugo and Tokoyami! Very nice seeing alotta characters in action, throwing down. Props to Aoyama getting over his fear enough to make a difference.

oq4zhoY.png

But in the end it wasn't enough.

1bBo49G.png

Not that everyone intends to take the loss sitting down or anything. And I gotta say it feels good to see All Might again. It feels like it has been quite awhile. Just oozing that badass aura so naturally, can't wait to see him in action! xD 

cFULkXW.png

Holy shit. Aoyama is PLOT-relevant!  All the way in 45!

And with that, the villains succeed in getting Bakugo and get away. And oh fuck the Academy's reputation is ruined. It's ironic that Jiro's shirt says Dead.

We also get some insight into where exactly that Bar of Villainy is.

Deku wakes up with Froppy eyes. Good thing the class is so tight and everyone comes to visit him.

Don't cry Deku. ;_; This is the time to be strong!

Momo, you are something else. Now I just hope All Might can handle leading the rescue mission.

Iida learns about modesty.  I love how past episodes really impact the characters in big ways for future episodes! Morals stick.

Edited by elfie

Iida learns about modesty? Hmm are you sure that's the right word you're looking for? He seems to be learning how to not be reckless and how to act rationally in emotional situations. They can't legally use their powers to save their friend and if they do try they might end up interfering with whatever the pro heroes have planned.

With Stain he let his emotions get the better of him, and was very reckless. He almost died and put his friends in danger.

Episode 46 this week, "From Iida to Midoriya," adapting Chapters 84 and 85 from Volume 10 of the original source manga. Bakugo has been kidnapped by the league of villains, and All Might is on the case, along with many of the other top heroes. Not that everyone from 1-A is willing to leave it all to them however! Yes, it's time for the students to pick a side and take a stand, with Young Iida all too familiar with acting recklessly. And things certainly got tense with that little physical altercation.

fmj4RFU.png

Ultimately though it's just like back when Deku helped Bakugo against that villain way back at the beginning of the series where his legs moved on their own. And so, a compromise! Iida, Midoriya, Todoroki, Kirishima and Yaoyorozu go to find Bakugo together, ostensibly to "observe" though I hafta agree with Momo regarding that. Pretty nice disguises they've got on too, Momo lookin' extraordinarily sexy. xD

ruoewHg.png

But things are certainly still very serious, with UA taking a media wave, but if Shigaraki thought dealing with Bakugo would be easy, he's got another thing coming. xD 

c0uar4D.png

Also as a bit of an aside or in case you missed it moment: It's been established before but Author Kohei Horikoshi is a big Star Wars fan. He has dressed as Kylo Ren before and owns alotta merchandise. In previous episodes we've gotten locations named after Tatooine and Dagobah. And possibly more I forget if the others have appeared yet or not. Plus my badass little boy Gran Torino, who I enjoyed seeing return btw, was inspired at least partially by Yoda. Well this week we got Kamino referenced, the clone planet first seen in Episode II. Although the subs mistakenly spelled it as "Camino" even though in the English manga volumes and the Star Wars universe it is indeed spelled Kamino. We'll be getting more Star Wars references as we go along. But for now, one last screengrab I took for this week. xD 

KPyArHX.png

Edited by BUU8800

Of course the students are gonna rescue Bakugo without telling any adult, and of course Deku is gonna join them. But I love that here, everyone on the team is apprehensive.  Essentially this entire episode covers the beginning of the heroes becoming villains.  The 5 students are breaking rules and going against their own health to undertake a mission that is guaranteed for failure, and the UA is losing trust in the very people who send their kids there!  The only thing that would make it better is if the League of Villains wasn't portrayed as being blatantly evil.

Holy crud Deku.  The one trait that All Might saw in him that ultimately gave him his quirk, that he rushes into a fight without thinking, and he couldn't even do THAT.

Edited by elfie