UnevenEdge

My Hero Academia Anime Discussion

BUU8800

We're back from a break with episode 34 this week, "Gear up for Final Exams," adapting chapters 60 and parts of 61 from volume 7 of the original source manga. Kinda odd to get some Midnight and Mt. Lady anime-original padding, but it was humorous and made sense in context so...why not?

:D Anyway...before the students of 1-A can enjoy their summer camp they've still got finals! Written and Practical! It was pretty cute to see how each student ranked. Gotta love unreasonably cocky #9 ranked Mineta. :D

ssGNK4r.png

Nice to see everyone so heavily relying on #1 ranked Momo and her genius intellect as well.

Nthu0ri.png

While the written test is self-explanatory the practical remains something of a mystery. Will it be a battle against giant robots as 1-B suggests? No! It's actually a struggle against the teachers! As it turns out the students of 1-A need this special training, and they'll be paired up against a teacher 2 on 1. We've definitely got some interesting matchups, such as Todoroki and Momo vs. Aizawa.

PNyAHUs.png

And the good news for Deku? He's facing All Might! That's not really good news you say? Well it's better than saying who his partner is! :D That's right, the obnoxious brat who hates his guts it's Bakugo!

nWpbkgu.png

Good luck Young Midoriya, you're gonna need it! :D Also, interesting how they're handling these matches individually as opposed to simultaneously as in the manga...might help pad out the rest of the season better. Time to see how well Tokoyami and Tsuyu work together!

ZPahVjV.png

Not really a spoiler, since I didn't mention any other characters names, just that his sexual preference is more or less confirmed in the current manga.

If I had said

He likes Ashido and crushed on her in middle school, and she is one of the main reasons he even wanted to go to the Academy.

That would be a spoiler.

Well anyway it's episode 35 this week, "Yaoyorozu: Rising," adapting...well actually that's where things start getting interesting. As I briefly mentioned last week the fights of this Final Exam occurred simultaneously in the manga, with lots of jump cuts each chapter. The anime however has decided to focus on them one at a time, so we're covering pieces of several chapters ranging from 61 through 67 from volumes 7 and 8 of the original source manga. As the episode title implies this week we're focusing most prominently on Momo Yaoyorozu and her struggle with Todoroki against Aizawa-sensei. First however we've got the conclusion of Tsuyu and Tokoyami vs. Ectoplasm. And I'm happy to say they showed some nice teamwork. Tsuyu's tongue especially.

:D And managed to pass! Though dark shadow certainly helped...stretchy powers for the win! :D

wQf934b.png

Young Iida was also successful in working together with Ojiro.

QsFgrJD.png

And then onto our main focus: Momo's breakout party. It was pretty ingenious of Aizawa to pair her, timid as she was, with the assertive Todoroki. And she certainly made the most of her chance to shine. Managing to overcome her lack of confidence in order to triumph. Showing excellent planning skills and use of her quirk under pressure. Not to mention....those assets! :D

tsMy54M.png

Well done girl!

WainofK.png

Nice as it was however I'm almost tempted to say that end with Aoyama and Uraraka facing Thirteen stole the show. As he suspects she...likes Deku? Oh how it must be so! Deku x Uraraka 4 ever!!! :D :D :D :D :D

YujfOq5.png

This is the ep shoutout to all the lovely Momo fans.  I almost teared up when Momo finally FINALLY WON something! Her success was long overdue and she deserves the praise.  Also this came with more of Momo's beauty than any other episode so far!  :)  Now I hope she goes through more battles with confidence.

I wish I could see more or Uraraka's fight. It was only saved for after the credits!  :(  But it did show a bit of development in her opinions of Deku, and from this show's decidedly least important character. :D

I feel like Episode 35 was one of the best so far from this season. It had action, strategy, and plenty of praise for Froppy which is always a good thing. ;)

I'm really interested to see the coming fight between Deku and Bakugou and All Might. It should be interesting, especially since Bakugou has his panties in a twist again about Deku "stealing" his moves and how he still doesn't even know what Deku's quirk is. I think not knowing exactly how Deku is becoming strong is what is pissing off Bakugou the most lol. Just my opinion though, kid has a major attitude problem either way.

Oh, and Momo did really good for once, huzzah! I would like to see more from her, because I think she has one of the best and possibly strongest quirks out of their class if she is able to master it. It is the most situationally adaptive by far.

I really hope they get to animate more seasons.  I grown to love each and every one of this class, and I wanna see them be happy.

Considering that My Hero Academia manga statistics show it as being more popular than Naruto just recently, I think we will be seeing plenty more seasons as long as the popularity holds. I can't see why they wouldn't if the franchise is popular and profitable. I think this could be one worth investing in.

It's episode 36 this week, "Stripping the Varnish," still adapting and jumping around the manga chapters I mentioned last week. We're slowly inching our way through these practical exams until the finale where we'll see douchebag Bakugo and Deku take on All Might. In the meantime, let's see how pervy Mineta is doing! Well actually first we gotta clear up Uraraka and Aoyama versus Thirteen. And if we've leaned anything from this tussle it's this: Uraraka x Deku is this series' one true ship, and if you don't agree you're objectively wrong!

:D

X8FGFQ9.png

I do feel a bit bad for Ashido and Kaminari though. Not the smartest kids in the class and getting paired with the principal? It figures they'd struggle.

2pGepdS.png

And here's an interesting pairing: Koda with Jiro against Present Mic in a battle of sounds. You know, I've always enjoyed Jiro and her Earphone Jack's design, but we haven't really seen much from her. And even less from Koda, who if I'm not mistaken had yet to even speak! Well we finally get his quirk this week, and as it turns out he's a more powerful Eliza Thornberry! :D Quick thinking commanding those insects from underground to get by Present Mic.

QRWpCbx.png

We also see Shoji and Toru take on Snipe briefly....yeah. :D And then there's Mineta. Teamed up with Sero against, who else, Midnight. The sexy seductress. :D

wJbqkdZ.png

Mineta and his pervert gimmick is pretty...polarizing within the fandom I've noticed, to say the least. It's understandable I suppose. Despite his weakness and cowardice and perviness at least he manages to come up big here...eventually. Using Sero's tape in combination with his own ability to keep Midnight at bay while they escape.

iZKdwWF.png

So with all that out of the way, is it time at last to face All Might?

7y959xj.png

Finally got around to watching this week's episode. This one was even better than the last jeez. I am now way more curious about the Principle's origins than I already was. I was always wondering what his deal was as he looked more anthropomorphic than an altered person. But maybe he's both? They mentioned that he got experimented on and that's why he's crazy sometimes lol.... would be interesting to see more about him.

I was proud of Minetta, he was able to set aside his pervy weakness for once and overcome the situation, and looked pretty cool doing so! Best line of the episode goes to him too, "Just this once, we'll save the boobs for another day" LMFAO.

I think if I had Yuga as my partner (naval laser kid), I'd be very pissed he's such an airhead but luckily it worked out in the end. Would hate to have seen Uraraka fail cause of his damn ass.

I have a feeling that something bad is gonna happen during Ka-chan and Deku's test against All Might. I foresee one of three things that will happen. Katsuki will get really pissed at Izuka (again) and end up sabotaging them both in a fit of rage. Katsuki will get really upset and hurt feelings again cause Izuka will do something to save the match. The third and probably most unlikely scenario would be that the two boys end up finally working together in their own way and start to bond at least somewhat finally.

I have heard from the Manga readers that Bakugou is one of the fan-favorite characters currently and that he apparently has an emotional backstory and reasons for being so aggressive and angry. I'm sure it has to do with something making him feel inferior or inadequate and takes it out on Midoriya because he is a constant reminder of that now. I have also heard that he will at some point begin to bond a bit with the others and will learn to express himself better or just be in general more cooperative. I dunno if this is true, but I'm seriously hoping that some of that starts at some point soon cause I really hate him right now for being so mean and abussive to Izuku who has been nothing but nice and a friend to him.

Sandstone[/member] Bakugo is literally Horikoshi(the author's) favorite character and took the #1 spot from Izuku in the manga's second popularity poll. I don't want to hint at future developments regarding him but will just say in my eyes he will always be garbage level obnoxious and a character I generally don't like. :D

elfie[/member]

Hadn't considered that, good point. Definitely, one to watch for.

BUU8800[/member]

Sad to hear that, I was really hoping Bakugou became more likeable and a decent human being and friend to Deku. I dunno why anyone would like him as he is now, he's just annoying and mean. I'm gonna start reading the manga after the current season ends though, so I will reserve judgment until then.

It's episode 37 this week, "Katsuki Bakugo: Origin," still adapting and jumping around the manga chapters I mentioned 2 weeks ago. Welp we're on our penultimate episode of season 2 and the time has come at last for Young Izuku to face All Might. And unfortunately he has to do so with Bakugo, imo the douchiest, most obnoxious character in the series. But hey, let's see WHY young Bakugo is such a douche. Oh, what's that? Absolutely no good reason at all? Okay then, sure. Well I did at least get an enormous amount of pleasure from seeing All Might make him spew.

Ageklph.png

That was awesome, we need more of that! :D Well anyway young Izuku was able to shine either way, and All Might did show off some appropriately nice feats of power.

wFkrWSI.png

So even with Bakugo tainting it I'd still say this was a good episode. And hey, they passed! Now only one week left though. Already beginning to feel sad at the long wait before what I hope and assume will be season three next year.

u6idj2j.png

It's episode 38 this week, "Encounter," finishing up season 2 of the anime. Well here it is, the last episode of season 2. It's sad, but with Weekly Shonen Jump already confirming a season 3 there's a silver lining at least in knowing we won't have that long to wait. Anyway, with the exams over our heroes in training decide to have a light-hearted trip to the mall to get some supplies for their summer camp excursion. Oh did I say light-hearted? I meant terrifying! That's right, Young Midoriya, All Might's chosen successor, gets a face to face meeting with Shigaraki himself, All For One's chosen successor, out in the open where anyone could be used as a hostage.

czOrPg1.png

And that face ain't pretty. Seriously if you haven't checked out the corresponding manga chapter yet, Chapter 69, I suggest you do. That full page of Shigaraki's smiling face? Pure nightmare fuel.

dnbxmyR.png

Props to Deku for keeping his cool under such stressful conditions.

Qzlxrar.png

And come on Uraraka! Keep better tabs on your future husband! :D

UzYFDtN.png

Anyway, the confused Shigaraki has received some clarity from Deku. It all comes down to All Might. Sounds ominous certainly, but where are we going from here? Luckily we should find out...in season 3! 9/10 for season 2. Great adaptation of the source material. I hope they continue adapting this with as much care as they've shown to this point.

KWdFerk.png

And with that, I'ma take a break from this place for a bit. Can't say when I'll be back. Sometime between early November and the new year if I hadta guess. So take care everyone.

• 1 month later...

Hold onto your butts everyone because early shonen jump spoilers are out, and according to one we can expect Academia season 3 to begin airing next April! No official announcement yet or anything, but I'll update when one comes. Will likely be at some point within the next week.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, BUU8800 said:

Hold onto your butts everyone because early shonen jump spoilers are out, and according to one we can expect Academia season 3 to begin airing next April! No official announcement yet or anything, but I'll update when one comes. Will likely be at some point within the next week.

5Ltz1EH.gif

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm excited about 4 things this year

• FLCL: Progressive / Alternative
  • My Hero Academia Season 3
  • One Punch Man Season 2
  • More episodes of The X-Files. I know X-Files isn't anime, but it's a good long running Fox show that was there before most anime was...

It's getting windy outside. Excitement is in the air!