UnevenEdge

What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

BUU8800

Gungrave 14

Spoiler

Normally, I'd have watched this on a Friday with my uncle like I normally do with Gungrave, but this being the only time my main man Tsuru is in the unit director's chair for his only full-length TV anime project, I just had to watch it on my own first. And damn oh goddamn, that decision was worth it. Smash cuts to and from black and white, lip flaps that look like they match what's being said in the original Japanese, symbological color filters, brightness and shadow for mood, subtle yet evocative facial responses, moments of silence followed by attention-grabbing dialogue, that fucking elevator scene, all the way down to the episode title only showing itself in the seconds before the end credits start to roll. This episode was a slow burn to an explosive emotional conclusion, a directorial carbon footprint as scarce as it is prominent and recognizable from a single glance.

Much like Shikamaru coming to terms with his sensei's passing, the death of Brandon Heat is Toshiyuki Tsuru at his A-game, and undeniable proof that I chose the right man to headcanonically helm my masterwork born from, of all things, an online artist's femsona getting kidnapped and teased by a trio of Senran Kagura rejects.

Edited by PokeNirvash

MHA Seasom 4 1-20.

All caught up with the dub.  Also holy whiplash.  We went from “The Cure” from X-Men to that most Japanese of events, the school festival.  Even one of the characters explains why they wanted to do a school festival after the hypocritical Yakuza.

Edited by Jman