UnevenEdge

What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

BUU8800

On 5/6/2020 at 10:05 PM, PokeNirvash said:

I always had the impression it had something to do with

Reveal hidden contents

either Celty being a Dullahan or the Dollars gang, probably both at once knowing Narita.

Durarara! 10 - 12

Those episodes explained a lot. As for what you said about the title there, Narita apparently insisted it had no meaning in the first light novel and that it's just something he came up with on the fly when asked by his editor for a title. As he had finished with writing the book then though, I think it's possible when he was searching in his heard for something to use that at least subconsciously the sound for it could have come from that part where the name of the Dollars was talked about.

Edited by Dark_Cloud_Overhead

Flowers of Evil 10

I'd also be watching Cinderella Boy 7 tonight, but I hit an extremely large snag that I'm going to vent about under the spoiler below, if any of you're interested.

Spoiler

Over a year ago, I purchased Discotek's release of Cinderella Boy and have been periodically watching it one episode at a time. Normally, I watch it on the family Blu-Ray player, as the interlacing isn't nearly as obvious there than it is on VLC (which I only downloaded because I have a computer with a DVD drive but no built-in DVD player software; thanks, Windows 10!), but with my sister back at home due to COVID and using the TV hooked up to the Blu-Ray to play her video games (which she isn't now, since she's working on her final projects), I've eased back into using VLC. Now, last I watched Cinderella Boy, I finished the first of the two DVDs in the set. I was going to start the second today, only to be met with a very curious problem.

When I open the disc in VLC, I'm met with the usual menu. Problem is, I can't see the cursor when I move over it to select items; I have to use keystrokes to select what I want. And when I do select what I want - in this case, playing episode 7 - the menu scrunches up to the 4:3 ratio the show is normally in, and just stays there, even as the audio is playing. Messing with the controls didn't seem to do anything, and updating VLC itself was no help either. I tried opening the video files from File Explorer in VLC by themselves, and while I was able to get the audio and video playing in sync (albeit with way more obvious interlacing that not even turning off deinterlacing can fix), I'm unable to bring up the subtitle track, which is pretty important if you're watching a show you paid money out of your own debit card for because you wanted more accurate subtitles than what would be waiting for you were you to take the fansub route.

I'm not sure if this is a problem with the disc itself, if it's a problem with VLC in general, or if it's just a problem with this specific disc on VLC. I'll try playing Cinderella Boy Disc 2 on the Blu-Ray player sometime later this week to see how deep the problem goes, or conversely how shallow it actually is. Until then, if you have any way to fix my strangely specific player issue, I'm all ears.

Cinderella Boy 7

Good news: the disc is perfectly playable. Bad news: the problem wasn't with VLC, turns out my 7 year-old DVD driver's starting to crap out. Looks like I'm gonna have to use my dad's external disc player for when I marathon (and finally finish) Inuyasha later this year.

Ended up unexpectedly re-watching the first set of eps of Kill la Kill since Funi just added it to the streaming catalog.

Damn I love that show, and it's dub. So much fun.

Just now, PokeNirvash said:

Cinderella Boy 7

Good news: the disc is perfectly playable. Bad news: the problem wasn't with VLC, turns out my 7 year-old DVD driver's starting to crap out. Looks like I'm gonna have to use my dad's external disc player for when I marathon (and finally finish) Inuyasha later this year.

Cool, good to hear the disc is playable, I remember that show.

• Thanks 1