UnevenEdge

Samurai Jack Season 5: XCV talkback

Jman

Last time on Samurai Jack:

Unfortunately, just as Jack had dealt with the last of the Daughters of Aku, he plunged off the same branch he lured them onto!  Will he survive the fall?  And what will he find?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish they had announced Rick and Morty or something.  I was caught completely off-guard.  Good think I'm recording the West Coast airing so I can catch what I missed.

I'm still pissed

I guess AS really does want to cancel Toonami again

That's good.  Sucks about Jack and DBS, though.  But this Rick and Morty premiere came out of nowhere.  And it was pretty good.

considering it's going to negatively impact Toonami's ratings I beg to differ

I'm not even what you could call angry about the preemption, but I am amazed at how utterly goddamn incompetent [as]'s programming department continues to remain.  "Let's take the one thing on the block that's winning insane hype, universal acclaim, huge ratings, and a wave of interest from well beyond our usual audience, and screw with its scheduling in particular!"  And this is nothing against Rick and Morty--I haven't watched it but I know it's good and I'm glad for its fans--but just an observation on the sheer tone-deafness this little thing represents.  Like, I guess they hate money or something?

It's April Fools, TG. It's not like it's permanent or anything. :|

look

it may not be permanemt

but it IS a stupid move....DBS was boosting the ratings an INSANE amount, as was Jack, even moreso

and they've basically fucked the ratings for this week by skipping those to shows

the ratings for this week are going to be largely diminished.....especially because I'm not the only person who's first reaction was to think the ENTIRE block has been preempted

this was a dumb Idea on AS's behalf

it's just a fact

I'm not even what you could call angry about the preemption, but I am amazed at how utterly goddamn incompetent [as]'s programming department continues to remain.  "Let's take the one thing on the block that's winning insane hype, universal acclaim, huge ratings, and a wave of interest from well beyond our usual audience, and screw with its scheduling in particular!"  And this is nothing against Rick and Morty--I haven't watched it but I know it's good and I'm glad for its fans--but just an observation on the sheer tone-deafness this little thing represents.  Like, I guess they hate money or something?

This. Makes it super confusing lol. Why would you do it to Jack of all things?  Especially after it's taken YEARS to get it back on the air. And it's SUPER HOT right now. And it won't even be around that long since this final season isn't supposed to be that many episodes.

This. Makes it super confusing lol. Why would you do it to Jack of all things?  Especially after it's taken YEARS to get it back on the air. And it's SUPER HOT right now. And it won't even be around that long since this final season isn't supposed to be that many episodes.

and after they had to actually beg Genndy Tartakovsky to come back after having burned their bridge with him regarding Symbionic Titan

you'd think they'd be more delicate about fucking him over AGAIN but apparently not

he should've stuck with Sony

and after they had to actually beg Genndy Tartakovsky to come back after having burned their bridge with him regarding Symbionic Titan

you'd think they'd be more delicate about fucking him over AGAIN but apparently not

he should've stuck with Sony

I think he'll be kind of understanding about this since he's probably so used to dumb TV decisions. Plus it could be worse, they could be airing it the wrong order! Like Babylon 5 spinoff Crusade. Sadly that show was dead before it started despite seeming pretty cool. And Babylon 5 was sooo good.

look

it may not be permanemt

but it IS a stupid move....DBS was boosting the ratings an INSANE amount, as was Jack, even moreso

and they've basically fucked the ratings for this week by skipping those to shows

the ratings for this week are going to be largely diminished.....especially because I'm not the only person who's first reaction was to think the ENTIRE block has been preempted

this was a dumb Idea on AS's behalf

it's just a fact

It's going to damage ratings for the next following weeks as well, with some viewers thinking Super, Jack, and possibly the whole block won't be back.  Really stupid of them to do this.

Yes, because preempting a show for one week due to an April Fool's stunt is totally the same as getting cancelled twice and having one of the shows be written off for tax purposes! I was wondering that for my whole life.

It's April Fools, TG. It's not like it's permanent or anything. :|

Of course it's one random night, and of course it doesn't affect people like us, because we watch every week no matter what because it's what we do.  But Samurai Jack (and really Super to a lesser extent) is one of those precious few block properties that has grabbed eyeballs well beyond the handful of weebs who still give a damn about dubbed airings on late-night basic cable.  We all saw the media blitz its return received on all sorts of big-name entertainment sites.  Casual viewers are showing up for this, and they're not used to [as]'s random scheduling bullshit, because self-respecting programming blocks don't do that to popular shows.  We know what happened here, but those sorts of viewers tuned in tonight, thought "Wait, where the hell is my show?", and almost certainly didn't stick around to watch anything else.  Most of them will be back next week, but given that this final season is so abbreviated in the first place, the absolute last thing you want to do is risk losing any of your audience along the way.  You don't need any experience in the television business to puzzle that out.

Like, as soon as someone made the thread about April Fools' falling on a Saturday this year, I remember thinking, "Well whatever they have planned I'm sure they're not retarded enough to do anything with Jack's timeslot."  If I didn't know Lazzo was a complete fuck-up beforehand ("Advertising doesn't work!"), this proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

(The fact that I'm actually somewhat agreeing with ben's take on things should be enough to tell you that this bugs me.)

I watched the Final Four games instead of the stunt, and saved the premiere for one of my recordings. It was good, you're all just pissy that [as] did their job this April 1st.

[rustling your jimmies]

One point.

But yeah, jimmies were rustled.

I watched the Final Four games instead of the stunt, and saved the premiere for one of my recordings. It was good, you're all just pissy that [as] did their job this April 1st.

[rustling your jimmies]

No.  I'm upset that I was tricked, because I thought, before this Rick & Morty stunt, [as] ALREADY did their job.  All through the day I heard that they screwed with the audio and visuals of their shows!  So I just thought, "oh, that prank sounds harmless! I got nothing to worry about with Toonami! :D " By 10 PM I thought they were DONE!  I thought that was ALL they planned!  Very very CLEVER!!!!!  >( >( >( >(

This episode will not air on April 5th at 10 PM, according to the schedule:

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/schedule/

ALL THIS WEEK, Monday-Friday at 10 PM and repeating at 2:30 AM will be none other than Rickshank Redemption, the new episode of Rick & Morty!

Hopefully, they'll re-air some of the interstitials too, like the Claymation saga and the video game Mr. Meeseeks battle. Those were cool.

April Fools ruins stuff, but you bet your ass Rick and Morty drew eyeballs.

Who will be confused when Rick and Morty doesn't air next week.  The viewers expecting Jack last week will be confused and assume it's been canceled, since there was no indication of what the fuck was going on during any of this, no notice on-air that Jack even once existed in this timeslot or will ever return.  Therefore - double ratings damage.  Jack and Rick and Morty have their premieres sabotaged right out of the gate.  Adult Swim's failure is complete.

[rustling your jimmies]

So doing their job means they successfully sabotaged the premiere of Samurai Jack and Rick & Morty?  Then yes, they did their job of surpassing every stupid and asinine thing they've done in the past.

This episode will not air on April 5th at 10 PM, according to the schedule:

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/schedule/

ALL THIS WEEK, Monday-Friday at 10 PM and repeating at 2:30 AM will be none other than Rickshank Redemption, the new episode of Rick & Morty!

Hopefully, they'll re-air some of the interstitials too, like the Claymation saga and the video game Mr. Meeseeks battle. Those were cool.

What the fuck are you talking about?

So doing their job means they successfully sabotaged the premiere of Samurai Jack and Rick & Morty?  Then yes, they did their job of surpassing every stupid and asinine thing they've done in the past.

I said their job "this April 1st", dumbass. Do you not know what reading comprehension is?

I do, it's just the way you worded it, it sounded like everything was ruined forever just because the Jack premieres were pushed back a week.

And it should've been "they successfully sabotaged the premiere of Samurai Jack with Rick & Morty", not "they successfully sabotaged the premiere of Samurai Jack and Rick & Morty".

I do, it's just the way you worded it, it sounded like everything was ruined forever just because the Jack premieres were pushed back a week.

And it should've been "they successfully sabotaged the premiere of Samurai Jack with Rick & Morty", not "they successfully sabotaged the premiere of Samurai Jack and Rick & Morty".

Jack's premieres could be fucked over after this due to casual viewer confusion because of the unannounced and unpromoted preemption and replacement of Jack that week with Rick & Morty.  For all they know Jack won't be back next week as there were no indication of this given before or during Rick & Morty's airing.  It wasn't until a full hour later did we hear Tom say that.  I knew I sure as fuck was perplexed and pissed off when Jack didn't come on as normal.  My friend who was over felt the same way and when Toonami finally started an hour later he said there was no point in watching the rest of the block since Jack didn't come on.  In fact he actually felt earlier that they'd just air it later, which they didn't do either.  I'd say he falls more into that casual, less-informed camp.  And if I wasn't here and decided to keep the TV on I'm sure he wouldn't have stuck around and I'm sure most other viewers got the fuck out of dodge as well.

It's true they sabotaged the premiere of Jack with Rick & Morty, but they also could've done the same to Rick & Morty.  Since it premiered where it, did the casual majority of Rick & Morty fans could end up believing that is the regular timeslot for this season, not without reason.  They'll probably have trouble finding where the rest of the episodes will air and this will lead to ratings issues for Rick & Morty itself as well.  So really this was stupid from just about all angles.  Makes no sense at all.

But did it air during that Rick & Morty premiere?  Just because people saw the Rick & Morty premiere doesn't mean they watch all week.  Hell the big comedy night isn't even Saturday, it's Sunday, so again I question the decision of putting this premiere on Saturday.  It doesn't even make sense from the Rick & Morty promotion angle.  And since the rest of the season won't come til Summer I can see that annoying people quite a bit.