UnevenEdge

Adult Swim April Fools 2024

It’s March 1st, and you know what that means. Next month will probably be April 1st, so it’s time to kick around ideas and expectations for AS April Fools prank this year. 

The last couple years have been brutal disappointments, with AS barely even trying at all. Think they can right the ship this year? I don’t. But it’s still fun to speculate. 

This will also be the very first April 1st for Checkered Past. Think they will try to do some kind of prank for that block? 

April 1 is on Sunday night this year, so a lot of people going to bed early for the Monday grind. Will that influence their effort level on the prank? 

I have a few ideas for this year, some of them more likely than others:

1. Sneak peeks of the 2024 premieres.
  2. Toonami airs a marathon. My personal choice? Attack on Titan Junior High.
  3. Checkered Past gets taken over by Screwy Squirrel.
  4. The nightly lineup of TLC replaces Adult Swim's regular programming. All of it.

Doing anything at all at this point would be commendable. Feels like companies have laid off April Fools' gags in the pandemic era... except for the ones in Japan.

This is just a random idea I've been kicking around in my head: what if this year's gag involves The Amazing Digital Circus? Maybe you could air the pilot episode (because the only thing that could make this series better is a TV deal) and then have other programming be themed to it like the Pibby gag from two years ago.

15 minutes ago, Blatch said:

Doing anything at all at this point would be commendable. Feels like companies have laid off April Fools' gags in the pandemic era... except for the ones in Japan.

This is just a random idea I've been kicking around in my head: what if this year's gag involves The Amazing Digital Circus? Maybe you could air the pilot episode (because the only thing that could make this series better is a TV deal) and then have other programming be themed to it like the Pibby gag from two years ago.

I don’t see Zaslav wanting to bother with the negotiations.  Pibby was done in-house in the hopes of getting a show going (which it did not).

3 hours ago, Otakuninja9000 said:

Nothing.

It's that bad.

Go home.

They already did that one in 2016.

19 minutes ago, Blatch said:

Pibby is a good example of why they wouldn’t do something like that. Morons will speculate and complain for years if the show doesn’t get picked up by AS. 

On 3/1/2024 at 9:35 PM, Mr. Idea Box said:

Sneak peeks of the 2024 premieres.

This is probably the one that is closest to being right. Last years big meme was AI which they did a lazy joke with. This years big meme is the election, which they probably don’t want to touch. 

1. Smiling Friends S2

2. Superman S2

3. Uzumaki (lol)

4. Rick and Morty anime (the same clip they have shown already) 

Is there anything else we know is on deck for 2024? Primal S3 I don’t think will be. I can’t remember if Yolo next season was for this year or not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hear me out...

An announcement that Zaslav has been fired. 

Followed by a marathon of classic [ as ] as if celebrating. Think the equivalent of the old 'Have it Your Way' contest winner type random. 

Then an announcement that nope, Zaslav just had really bad gas followed by the old school end of broadcasting screen that sits there for at least 10-15 minutes to really get people worried. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

Hear me out...

Followed by a marathon of classic [ as ] as if celebrating. Think the equivalent of the old 'Have it Your Way' contest winner type random. 

Then an announcement that nope, Zaslav just had really bad gas followed by the old school end of broadcasting screen that sits there for at least 10-15 minutes to really get people worried. 

We may have a new low bar for Adult Swim pranks if this is it.

Disappointing people is one thing. Fearing for the security of Williams Street jobs is another.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Mr. Idea Box said:

We may have a new low bar for Adult Swim pranks if this is it.

Disappointing people is one thing. Fearing for the security of Williams Street jobs is another.

Considering that they keep cutting people and things all over the place because everyone has forgotten what 'investment purchases' are, there could very easily be someone on the way out who would be more than willing to take the proverbial bullet over an April Fool's bump.

Hell, I'll do it for free and they know it. :D :D :D 

• Haha 1

On 3/17/2024 at 5:54 PM, katt_goddess said:

Hear me out...

Add periodic fart sounds over the end of broadcast screen and you have a real winner here. 

• Haha 2

Not that distant online schedules ever tell us much, but nothing seems out of the ordinary for AS that night. 

Hard to say if Checkered Past is doing anything. They are not curating prank themed episodes, so either they are doing nothing or if that’s a sign they have a grander plan. 

IMG_1085.jpeg

IMG_1086.jpeg

New update to the schedule. Perhaps the “new” Smiling Friends episodes aren’t actually S2 and are utilizing the old episodes with some type of edit or something. 

It does seem that there will be something small that happens during the commercial breaks as the schedule gets offset during the 12:30 episode and does not correct until 3am. Perhaps some type of 5-7 minute Smiling Friends short? 

IMG_1105.jpeg

IMG_1106.jpeg

I just woke up from a dream of me watching some weird Toonami mashup special.. kinda like that DBZ x One Piece x [that other show] thing.. but zanier, broadly Toonami focused, lots of characters, some incomprehensible plot.. I distinctly remember the music having a bunch of old callbacks to some absolute classic [as] bump tracks.

So.... if they ever pull something like that off, I'm going to start calling myself a psychic.

On 3/1/2024 at 5:43 PM, katt_goddess said:

The Metalocalypse movie.

With mustaches.

In Portuguese. 

If they are feeling extra super lazy, whatever is playing on one of the other channels like TruCrime plays on [ as ] as long as it's technically appropriate for the time frame. 

Wait, hang on hang on hang on. There's a Metalocalypse movie? And there's a version with Portugese mustaches? Where and how do I see this? (Or the non-mustached version. I'm not picky.)

• Haha 2

Well damn, they remade the S1 episodes in different styles. I actually wondered if they were going to do this only with new episodes, but I guess this isn't as convoluted.

Cute gag. It's not going to rank very high in the history of [as]'s April Fool's, but it's probably better than last year.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, PerfectFlowingHair said:

Wait, hang on hang on hang on. There's a Metalocalypse movie? And there's a version with Portugese mustaches? Where and how do I see this? (Or the non-mustached version. I'm not picky.)

Everything has a Portuguese dub. EVERYTHING!

The non-mustached/mostly English version of the Metalocalypse movie will be airing this Friday night at midnight Williams Street time/11p Central. 

I liked it, it blew the past 3 years right out of the water. Unfortunately, we probably are never going to see a prank longer than an hour again, but if they actually put effort into that hour it feels good. Was nice to have one with no sponsor and no R&M. Wasn’t surprised about the premier date for S2, that’s a week after Royal Crackers wraps up. 

Did they do anything for Checkered Past? I haven’t seen anything so I assume no.

2 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

Everything has a Portuguese dub. EVERYTHING!

The non-mustached/mostly English version of the Metalocalypse movie will be airing this Friday night at midnight Williams Street time/11p Central. 

You have doomed my sleep schedule for the coming weekend. You will now have to live with this fact for the rest of your life. Maybe. IDK how this stuff works.

Me? I am going to enjoy me some Dethklok again. I can already feel the nostalgia.

• Thanks 1