UnevenEdge

Recovery Centers of America

1938_Packard

Radio spokesperson refers to herself as "long term recovering" because she hasn't had an alcoholic beverage in twenty years.

Well, she's got me beat by more than ten.  Kudos.  But, I think it's time to stop saying "recovering" and just say, "recovered".  Anybody who can stay off the shit for two decades already has what it takes to carry sobriety through eternity, should she live that long.

Question: Does Recovery Centers of America involve a twelve step program?

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That isn't how addiction works. If it was, I wouldn't know a handful of people that had 20+ years and relapsed. There's no such thing as "recovered." The addiction doesn't go away, and alcoholics and addicts still fight it every day no matter how long it's been. Hence "recovering."

If you knew even the tiniest bit about this, you would know that once an addict, always an addict.  Just because she hasn't had a drink in 20 years doesn't eliminate the fact that if she has 1 drink, she could go on an uncontrolable bender and land herself right back to where she was 20 years ago before quitting.

You are a dumb, uneducated, foolish old man.

If you knew even the tiniest bit about this, you would know that once an addict, always an addict.  Just because she hasn't had a drink in 20 years doesn't eleminate the fact that if she has 1 drink, she could go on an uncontrolable bender and land herself right back to where she was 20 years ago before quitting.

You are a dumb, uneducated, foolish old man.

So, don't take that "one" drink.  The Mensch on the Bench is watching.

Stupidest thing you've ev........Damn, it's really not but it's just so profoundly stupid.

You genuinely believe that I'm not personally taking that single drink factor to heart?  Yes, I'm very well aware that just one sniff of a cork could put me over the edge.  My point is that if or when such temptations arise, the strong of mind will ALWAYS find something better to do.  That's recovery. 

You genuinely believe that I'm not personally taking that single drink factor to heart?  Yes, I'm very well aware that just one sniff of a cork could put me over the edge.  My point is that if or when such temptations arise, the strong of mind will ALWAYS find something better to do.  That's recovery.

No, that is bullshit.

Strength of mind has very little to do with it.

Someone should hold you down and pour alcohol down your throat.

Wait, no, don't do that, it's what he wants- he's using reverse psychology on us!!!

Packard is the type of man that I doubt has ever had an alcohol problem and uses this fabricated life event as a catalyst to be opinionated on matters that he has no business commenting on.

Then again, he's a smoker that doesn't think smoke has a smell, so there is that huge chance that he's just dumb as fuck.

Packard is the type of man that I doubt has ever had an alcohol problem and uses this fabricated life event as a catalyst to be opinionated on matters that he has no business commenting on.

Then again, he's a smoker that doesn't think smoke has a smell, so there is that huge chance that he's just dumb as fuck.

Is that why so many uptight non smokers never notice any cigarette smell for days at a time in their "non smoking" hotel rooms until they see the burn hole in the upholstery?

Is that why so many uptight non smokers never notice any cigarette smell for days at a time in their "non smoking" hotel rooms until they see the burn hole in the upholstery?

Why is it so many smokers and ex-smokers keep telling you that they know they fucking reek(ed) and you seem to be the only idiot that lacks this simple ability.

Why is it so many smokers and ex-smokers keep telling you that they know they fucking reek(ed) and you seem to be the only idiot that lacks this simple ability.

Because parkard killed his sense of smell and thinks everyone else in the world can't smell either.

Radio spokesperson refers to herself as "long term recovering" because she hasn't had an alcoholic beverage in twenty years.

Well, she's got me beat by more than ten.  Kudos.  But, I think it's time to stop saying "recovering" and just say, "recovered".  Anybody who can stay off the shit for two decades already has what it takes to carry sobriety through eternity, should she live that long.

Question: Does Recovery Centers of America involve a twelve step program?

It's probably 12 Step based and I think it's up to the individual addict to say what they are as long as it's not complete and total fabrication.

I for one, for myself only, if anyone else has a drug problem it's on them what they believe, don't subscribe to the once an addict always an addict philosophy. I smoke pot I drink occasionally and I don't think these things are a problem for me. Will I ever try heroin or coke again?  Probably not and more towards definitely not as far as heroin goes.

This is my long winded way of saying whatever works for the individual addict is fine and shouldn't be looked down upon.

Because parkard killed his sense of smell and thinks everyone else in the world can't smell either.

If you hang three towels in a smoking lounge for a few days and keep three more, freshly laundered, towels closed in a room where no smoking takes place for a few days, you will never find anybody who can smell the difference between the two groups.  Fact, dude.

So sayeth he who states that some sort of dark and forbidden sorcery compels people to drink.

You're an idiot, I never said that, I said that if that person reaches some point where they believe a drink will correct something, they will slide down that razorblade into an alcohol river.  You are an idiot with no redeeming qualities other than you've just about used up your time on this mortal coil.

You're an idiot, I never said that, I said that if that person reaches some point where they believe a drink will correct something, they will slide down that razorblade into an alcohol river.  You are an idiot with no redeeming qualities other than you've just about used up your time on this mortal coil.

so, just bear in mind at ALL times that alcohol is not a solution.  End of problem.  How sane, rational or strong of will could a person be to think that getting drunk or high solves problems?

I have plenty. I simply choose not to give you a chance to deny or belittle the validity of other individuals' experiences.

And then, I'll choose one for you.  Let's see, now... peer pressure, perhaps?  When your "friends" are pressuring you to run contrary to your own better interests, it's time to redefine friend and start hanging with people who matter in the world.

If you hang three towels in a smoking lounge for a few days and keep three more, freshly laundered, towels closed in a room where no smoking takes place for a few days, you will never find anybody who can smell the difference between the two groups.  Fact, dude.

No, it isn't packard. It is the retarded ramblings of a sad man who no one cares about.

Yeah... Guess all the hotel desk clerks who directly deal with such shit on a daily basis are all retarded.

I've never met a hotel clerk that deals with "such shit on a daily basis". I don't even know what hotel clerks you're referring to.

Give us scientific evidence from a peer-reviewed journal that proves cigarette smoke is odorless. I don't give a flying fuck about your imagined piece of shit hotel clerk.

Sure. Sling insults because you don't have an actual answer beyond something that sounds like a PSA.

You can try to whitewash your primitive superstitions by using normalized words like, "circumstance", but it still sounds the same to me.  It sounds like, "If a crow lands on your chimney and caws three times under the crescent moon, you will become a hopeless alcoholic."  Unless you have something more concrete to add, shut up.

I've never met a hotel clerk that deals with "such shit on a daily basis". I don't even know what hotel clerks you're referring to.

Give us scientific evidence from a peer-reviewed journal that proves cigarette smoke is odorless. I don't give a flying fuck about your imagined piece of shit hotel clerk.

You probably never met a hotel clerk at all on a personal basis.  I'm just a guy who works in a hotel and hears them airing their gripes and grievances out back, by the smoking urn.