UnevenEdge

Rank your favorite parts of the chicken

Insipid

if we're talking whole birds, like rotisserie style, idk the technical terminology but the best part is the underside of the outer breast the moment you pull it off the bone and not a moment later

I'd like thighs more but I don't like dealing with the fatty veiny globs in the center and I can't pretend they're not there

• Like 1

2 hours ago, discolé monade said:

( i strip that fat glob off)

it's fine when once I do that, but i haaaaaaate cooking prep so i just don't buy thighs

2 hours ago, discolé monade said:

the inner filet of the breast (the part i think pat is talking about)

i don't thiiiiiiiiiiink so? that's the littler piece on the inside separated by that thin layer of whatever i think, but I don't know what the different breast parts are called.

gonna have to buy a rotisserie chicken tomorrow just to point at the one part i mean

4 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

it's fine when once I do that, but i haaaaaaate cooking prep so i just don't buy thighs

i don't thiiiiiiiiiiink so? that's the littler piece on the inside separated by that thin layer of whatever i think, but I don't know what the different breast parts are called.

gonna have to buy a rotisserie chicken tomorrow just to point at the one part i mean

the tender or tenderloin? true chicken 'finger'. ?

14 hours ago, discolé monade said:

let me just google this shit. lol

ok....show me on the chart/s  where the chicken made you feel good.

41G1H6-oPqL._AC_.jpg Chicken-Gallus-gallus-domesticus-L-cuts-

it's part of the main breast, but not the "tenderloin" (which I referred to as the "inner breast" cuz I didn't have a word for it). I guess if you're imagining the breasts upright on a cooked chicken, the top/outside is the main breast and the "tenderloin" is on the inside and they're separated by a thin film, right? well if you're pulling it apart by hand, the main breast kind of has two distinct parts. The main main part is the obvious rounded hump down the towards the pointed end, and the part I'm talking about is the bottom of that below that whole shaped area, like where it connects to the chicken's sides. basically everything gets trapped there so it's the juiciest few bites of white meat on the whole thing - if you eat it right as you pull it off the carcass and don't tell anyone while you're doing it. otherwise white meat in general dries out like immediately once it's unsealed.

okokokok I know that was a horrible explanation, we're getting a rotisserie chicken and I'm gonna show you.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, discolé monade said:

i'm gonna' say it 

i'm gonna' say it. 

matt, what do you know about chix feet?  and WHO in your house if prepping that nasty shit? lmao. 

When I was a kid, I would go over to a good friend's house and his mom would make then occasionally. I tried them young, so I have always liked them.. then again, I put anything in my mouth. Even girl's feet!

But back to chicken feet though. Now that I am older, I cook them for myself every once in a while. I usually just boil them and then deep fry 'em. They are also good to throw in with chicken carcass if you are making a stock for soups or whatever. 

Edited by atomicinumatt
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

When I was a kid, I would go over to a good friend's house and his mom would make then occasionally. I tried them young, so I have always liked them.. then again, I put anything in my mouth. Even girl's feet!

But back to chicken feet though. Now that I am older, I cook them for myself every once in a while. I usually just boil them and then deep fry 'em. They are also good to throw in with chicken carcass if you are making a stock for soups or whatever. 

i am ..... gobsmacked. 

and good for you. i bet you have an excellent stock. i use about everything (and strain) with the chicken, except the head and feet...

so...kudos. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, discolé monade said:

i know exactly what you're talking about. yes i do. 

but still get , i want to see how you work that chicken. 

alright I bought the saddest last-on-the-shelf 8pm rotisserie chicken so i apologize in advance at how sad and dry it looks

this is the almost intact breast (I started pulling it apart before I remembered to take a picture), the top/curve to the left and the rip to the right

ADCreHfpp1D0IBhLqZ7pGBZVl0QZiMWtHRAho8ad

so when you pull that off, you can see the inner "tenderloin" at the top and the lower part of the outer breast at the bottom, that's the part I'm talking about. normally it's like practically glistening, but again 8pm chicken.

ADCreHeQObn9i0WmStuBVtqju-Vm04L4gdL8bcsF

it's it's completely sealed in with the rest of the breast above it, and by nature of being on the bottom of that particular cavity, it's where all the juice settles when you cook the whole chicken. while you're shredding the thing up for whatever you're using the chickens for, those are the bites that don't make it to the plate and no one is none the wiser.

THE ONLY CAVEAT is that it doesn't necessarily apply when you... grab the last pre-cooked rotisserie chicken on the shelf at 8pm...

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 9:01 PM, Raptorpat said:

the tenderloins are the two little coin-sized pieces under each thigh I thought?

but also, if the tenderloin is the inner breast, what is this piece under the thigh called? my mom always called it the tenderloin and now I just feel lied to my entire life.

ADCreHfFU23dyfszLvSAwQlJIx2aLqyEuWqAT03E

it's a distinct piece from the actual thigh and you can see it kind of just pops out of its own self-shaped cavity there.

Thigh, Thigh, Thigh, Thigh

In all serious the thigh has always been the best part, perfect amount of tenderness, perfect amount of flavor, a juicy.

Real order would probably be something like:

Thigh, Drumstick, Wing, Breast

Breast I just don't think works well alone, great for sandwiches.

Edited by LoverDemon
  • Like 1