UnevenEdge

Tokyo Ghoul "Tragedy" Episode 1 Discussion Thread, The Ghouls Come Out at Night

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so evil glasses man is a ghoul.  No surprise there.

Waitress girl is a ghoul too.  Didn't expect that. 

So the ghouls have a society and agreements and stuff... all casual like.  This world could have some potential.

I'm never gonna eat people! *she makes him eat people* :D

That move/pose where she did that is used a lot in anime.

Show seems like it has potential from this first episode.  We'll see.

Wait, is that what happened?  I thought it was just a normal organ transplant.  Yeah the doc seemed creepy to me, too.  Wasn't sure if that was intentional.

Yeah. Don't know for sure since I've only seen the first two eps, but that's what I think. The timing of his especially creepy smile coincided with him saying he couldn't eat, and he's really creepy.

It would also explain the why to the ghoul organs.

I actually ended up watching this, even though I've seen the whole series already, but it'll probably be the last time I do so. I still think this probably will do fairly well on Toonami, for its first run through at least, and it's a good pickup for them if only because that's all most shows get on it anymore is one or two runs. My only bit of advice for those watching it for the first time is don't get your hopes up. It starts off promising enough, but the second half leaves a lot to be desired.

I actually ended up watching this, even though I've seen the whole series already, but it'll probably be the last time I do so. I still think this probably will do fairly well on Toonami, for its first run through at least, and it's a good pickup for them if only because that's all most shows get on it anymore is one or two runs. My only bit of advice for those watching it for the first time is don't get your hopes up. It starts off promising enough, but the second half leaves a lot to be desired.

I fully expect the 2nd half to get buried at 2 AM while the Season 2 of IBO regains 1 AM. I think [as] is aware that it's crap but they want the first half to do well.

I tried to stick it out after the beginning seemed good enough, but yeah this anime just goes nowhere.

The VA's are okayish. Glad to see the blood not being edited out.  I saw it when it was black mess. Made it ten times worse. Music in the show is good.

I just was so annoyed with how they went off the deep end from the manga.  I wonder if they will do season two...

I think Owl said they picked up both seasons.

The VA's are okayish. Glad to see the blood not being edited out.  I saw it when it was black mess. Made it ten times worse. Music in the show is good.

I just was so annoyed with how they went off the deep end from the manga.  I wonder if they will do season two...

I've heard from somebody that the show is fine if you haven't seen the manga.  A show can still be good without being faithful to the manga.  We'll see if that's true in this case eventually.

I fully expect the 2nd half to get buried at 2 AM while the Season 2 of IBO regains 1 AM. I think [as] is aware that it's crap but they want the first half to do well.

They don't care if something is crap as long as it does good enough ratings.  I know Demarco says they like all the shows they pick up but they can't sit there with a straight face and tell me they have been enjoying Shippuden lately.

They don't care if something is crap as long as it does good enough ratings.  I know Demarco says they like all the shows they pick up but they can't sit there with a straight face and tell me they have been enjoying Shippuden lately.

Yes but airing it ahead of dub premieres sounds like kind of a bad call to me. Yes, that's currently the case with Hunter x Hunter, but that's a long-runner whose subbed version is about 5 years old. Assuming JoJo just keeps on going into Stardust Crusaders, that slot will become dub premiere as well in about 8 weeks (the first 3 episodes, assuming they use the same tracks, were debuted on Crunchyroll as a test dub in 2014.) Iron-Blooded Orphans did fine at 1 AM with Season 1 so it stands to reason it should at least regain that timeslot for Season 2 (if Adult Swim even wants to bring it back after Unicorn stank up the place with its ratings...) So if [as] hasn't lost faith in Gundam, I would expect IBO S2 to start at 1 and Tokyo Ghoul Square Root A (the 2nd season) to start at 2.

The issue is that there are 11 episodes left in Unicorn, while Tokyo Ghoul has 12 episodes in its first season. So, how should Toonami handle this, if IBO needs to regain 1 AM for Season 2?

Option 1: Nothing out of the ordinary; Ghoul just drops to 2 AM with the final episode of the first season. Sorry, but I think that would suck for Ghoul fans!

Option 2: Short "hype" Gundam IBO S1 marathon beginning after Tokyo Ghoul the week after Unicorn ends and before IBO S2 premieres.

Option 3: Sand Whale & Me marathon (the 5 episodes back-to-back-to-back) in the 2 AM timeslot the week after Unicorn ends.

It will be interesting to see what they do regarding IBO S2, if they decide to give it a spin anyway! But it would be a dub premiere so I at least believe it deserves better billing than Tokyo Ghoul!

I've heard from somebody that the show is fine if you haven't seen the manga.  A show can still be good without being faithful to the manga.  We'll see if that's true in this case eventually.

The whole point is  they go and make a second season as well that is only story they made.    When the manga was going strong and they could have used it.  That's what I'm talking about.