UnevenEdge

Demarco states that AS is happy with the ratings for Grunge and Shoegaze

I took a look at the Grunge review he linked earlier in the chain and while I think it's a neat interpretation of how FLCL got its start beyond the simple "testing out digital animation equipment" and "cheering up the End of Eva animators" stories I've heard, I'm next to certain no one knows that "bar bet" story to the degree he claims they do.

https://karlrolson.com/blog/2023/10/02/flcl-grunge-theyre-so-happy-cause-today-they-found-their-friends/

36 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

I took a look at the Grunge review he linked earlier in the chain and while I think it's a neat interpretation of how FLCL got its start beyond the simple "testing out digital animation equipment" and "cheering up the End of Eva animators" stories I've heard, I'm next to certain no one knows that "bar bet" story to the degree he claims they do.

https://karlrolson.com/blog/2023/10/02/flcl-grunge-theyre-so-happy-cause-today-they-found-their-friends/

I just found it funny that Demarco had to burrow down to some nobodies blog whose website format is from 2003 to find a positive review for Grunge. 

19 hours ago, Daos said:

You guys need to shut up it was a smash ratings hit just like Fena Pirate Princess.

Which got written off for taxes despite Demarco's claims it was a hit. TOM dicksuckers are the only ones who seem to like Toonami originals and they only seem to like them because Toonami made them.

• Confused 1
  • D'oh 1

1 hour ago, Jman said:

Didn’t it outdo Housing Complex C?

At this point, barely breaking even is probably a win as far as they’re concerned.

I’m usually first to call Demarco a liar, but in comparison to the other originals, Grunge actually did solid. HCC and Black Lotus in particular are the standout flops. And so far Shoegaze is holding up too. 

• Thanks 1

I mean yeah, they've probably done well enough to justify their existence on a late-night cable channel block with minimal competition. I think it's just a case of dwindling returns though; the first sequels were unnecessary, but there was some genuine curiosity about what they'd do with the franchise. Meanwhile the reception to the new ones seems to be a lot more openly negative from the very first announcement of their existence and hate-watching only goes so far. Most of the feedback I've seen tends to range from "Meh, it's alright I guess but I don't know why they made this" to outright loathing, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the decision to call it quits on FLCL sequels is significantly motivated by all the constant backlash rather than any creative decision that the story's reached a satisfying conclusion.

• Like 1

Last week DeMarco was declaring FLCL to be Adult Swim's Star Wars equivalent and that they were going to keep making new seasons as long as they were available.  This rather quick turnaround seems to indicate that the show did barely what it was supposed to and now it's time to gracefully cut their losses.

6 hours ago, MCPissPants said:

Isn't this just like the huge successes that got written off for taxes? Every show is going to be hyped as hit whether it actually is or not.

Remember how the Avengers was a huge success and then Disney decided they wouldn't make any more Marvel movies? See? It's just like that.

On 10/7/2023 at 7:36 PM, Toonamiguy321 said:

I’m usually first to call Demarco a liar, but in comparison to the other originals, Grunge actually did solid. HCC and Black Lotus in particular are the standout flops. And so far Shoegaze is holding up too. 

A shame, I really quite liked Black Lotus overall.

HCC's last ep was pretty wild.

Edited by DangerMouse