UnevenEdge

FLCL Grunge Episode 3 Finale Discussion!

DangerMouse

1 minute ago, saito34 said:

Shoegaze is a music genre that I basically just discovered and this is a track that I really like that sounds like it was made recently but is 30 years old

how old are you? i'd never heard of shoegaze, but this sounds like a ton of music that was coming out in the 90s when i was in grade school. does it sound modern?

At least one of the kids got out of there. Wonder if that was supposed to be Earth that Orinoko was headed to. Haruko, as usual, struck out in the end. I think she just enjoys the chase more than she actually cares about ever catching Atomsk. Overall, that was pretty fun, even if it was in a lot of ways just a knockoff of the original. I think it managed pretty well to capture a bit of the original's charm still, and managed to add a couple new interesting elements at the same time. Three episodes might have been the right amount for it in the end though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

how old are you? i'd never heard of shoegaze, but this sounds like a ton of music that was coming out in the 90s when i was in grade school. does it sound modern?

Yeah, it doesn't sound modern in any particular sense, I was just shocked to find out it was 30 years old. It does have a certain production value and musical edge that kind of tricked me into assuming it was relatively modern.  It does absolutely sound like something you might have heard from the 90's, but I was not aware of any of this stuff back then.

Really opened my eyes to how much good music I've missed over the years. Also, time is f'ing flying by.

Edited by saito34
  • Thanks 2

Just now, OwlChemist81 said:

My town is having a hardcore music festival this weekend, and Shoegaze is one of the sub-genres!

Back in the day I was somewhat into music that is considered adjacent to Shoegaze like Sonic Youth, Sebadoh, Dinosaur Jr., but I wasn't explicitly aware of the genre back then. I think I discovered it more recently because I'm listening to a lot of lofi these days.

I have no idea if it's making a comeback or if it's maintained it's popularity all these years.

• Thanks 1

I had rock bottom expectations for this, so I’m actually surprised Demarco was able to so significantly disappoint me regardless. The entire show was basically nothing, no substance, no reason to care about any of the characters. It’s yet another Things happen!: The animation. And why was Amuro even here? He did absolutely nothing but be yet another “remember thing?” set piece. And on that topic, actually groaned at that final stretch that ripped off like 3 iconic scenes from the original shot for shot in like 20 seconds. Music direction often felt random, again only relying on tracks from the original, but not using them in fitting scenes. And while they did listen to the Progressive criticism of the music being too quiet, in Grunge the music is often so damn loud it’s distracting from the dialog. 

0/10. The strongest positive aspect I can give it is the fact that it was only 3 episodes, because I couldn’t have sat through another 3 weeks of this crap. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I had rock bottom expectations for this, so I’m actually surprised Demarco was able to so significantly disappoint me regardless.

0/10. The strongest positive aspect I can give it is the fact that it was only 3 episodes, because I couldn’t have sat through another 3 weeks of this crap. 

07BE0F02-DA43-4828-A54F-B0F551DA76A7.thumb.jpeg.408fd684db34479cbd72aa442943252a.jpeg

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I had rock bottom expectations for this, so I’m actually surprised Demarco was able to so significantly disappoint me regardless. The entire show was basically nothing, no substance, no reason to care about any of the characters. It’s yet another Things happen!: The animation. And why was Amuro even here? He did absolutely nothing but be yet another “remember thing?” set piece. And on that topic, actually groaned at that final stretch that ripped off like 3 iconic scenes from the original shot for shot in like 20 seconds. Music direction often felt random, again only relying on tracks from the original, but not using them in fitting scenes. And while they did listen to the Progressive criticism of the music being too quiet, in Grunge the music is often so damn loud it’s distracting from the dialog. 

Jason DeMarco’s Star Wars, everyone.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Jman said:

To his credit… I don’t dislike this as much as some Star Wars and Marvel stuff. Cartoon wise it was easily more tolerable than any 3 episodes of most Marvel cartoons besides What If in the past decade.

2 hours ago, Jman said:

At least nu-Star Wars occasionally has a scene or two that makes you say “ok yea that was kinda cool”. I’ll even give credit to Prog and Alt, they were bad but they did an occasional spurt of good here and there. Grunge was ass from start to finish, and while the CGI greatly contributes to that, with how creatively bankrupt and boring it was, I can’t see 2d animation bumping that final score up. 

At least Shoegaze looks like it’s going to at least try to do its own thing. So it’s already off on a better foot than Grunge. But as I type this, I think about how the trailer just outright has a character mention “sexual energy” or something and cringe. If someone says they are going to overflow, I will probably overflow with rage. 

Definitely agree on the Amarao assessment. There was honestly zero reason to include him except to rehash original gags.

Idk.. I can at least give it credit that, in the end, it did feel like it held to the maturation motif, as all three characters did grow out of their childhood ennui or whatever. Granted, really didn't give any characters room to breathe and really feel worthwhile. Kinda just "presented as still being kids, Haruko happens, inciting character growth." No real depth to it.

• Top Gun unpinned this topic