UnevenEdge

Possible government shutdown

Icarus27k

September 30 is the last day of the federal fiscal year. Ideally government spending laws would be passed well before then, but you know, Congress. 

Anyway, the Republican controlled House is having a split among the majority similar to when they split over the House Speaker vote.  Matt Gaetz's group is fighting all the other Republicans. 

Screenshot_20230918-222210.thumb.png.36acf31533ee3c4ce9aece2f34af6987.png

Screenshot_20230918-222132.thumb.png.87c33ea701f834b0da8788269f527b54.png

Edited by Icarus27k
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

and we're going off this, because of a blank form, found in, the family bathroom?

Gaetz has been threatening to do it for weeks now, so I'm guess this is a not-so-subtle hint that he's super serious, no fooling around, going to do it for sure, promise.  Fucker is almost as mature as the kids he fucks.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

and we're going off this, because of a blank form, found in, the family bathroom?

idk, it's just an alleged draft with his name all over it. it could be real or not, but everyone will know it's real if he actually files something.

until then it's just bathroom palace intrigue

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

idk, it's just an alleged draft with his name all over it. it could be real or not, but everyone will know it's real if he actually files something.

until then it's just bathroom palace intrigue

Judging by the blowback he's getting from moderates and even fellow slime bags like Chip Roy, I have a feeling he's going to play dumb.

5 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

I really wish they'd pass a bill that states they don't get paid AT ALL during a government shutdown. If they had to risk their unearned paycheck for political stunts, they wouldn't stunt.  

I wonder about that.  Jerkoffs like Gaetz have bigger problems than just getting a paycheck.  I have no doubt this is his way of building enough power to insulate himself from the inevitable slew of accusations he's going to get.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

I wonder about that.  Jerkoffs like Gaetz have bigger problems than just getting a paycheck.  I have no doubt this is his way of building enough power to insulate himself from the inevitable slew of accusations he's going to get.

If it's just a few jackasses holding everyone else hostage [ which let's face it, that's what it boils down to ] and everyone in their party is going to physically suffer for it, those jackasses will find themselves kicked out of everything. 

The same people who don't understand the real costs of things get really antsy when you talk about cutting their funds. 

1 hour ago, katt_goddess said:

If it's just a few jackasses holding everyone else hostage [ which let's face it, that's what it boils down to ] and everyone in their party is going to physically suffer for it, those jackasses will find themselves kicked out of everything. 

The same people who don't understand the real costs of things get really antsy when you talk about cutting their funds. 

The only thing they need to to understand is that they’re out of a job if they can’t con stupid people into thinking they’re powerful enough to get things done.

2 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

I really wish they'd pass a bill that states they don't get paid AT ALL during a government shutdown. If they had to risk their unearned paycheck for political stunts, they wouldn't stunt.  

I like it, but also bold of you to assume that they aren't trying to destroy representative democracy for the love of the game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fascinating amount of skepticism in this thread. Like a government shutdown isn't going to happen, despite just in recent history unbelivable things such as Trump getting elected, Trump getting impeached twice, Trump getting indicted four times, Republicans coming within a few points of making an infamous pedophile a senator, and the House Speaker vote having to go to like 20 rounds of voting. 

19 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

That's not a good enough punishment. There shouldn't be an option to shut down the government unless it's a dire emergency. Failing to create a budget on time is not one. If a budget is not passed on time, last year's will automatically apply and every member of congress should face a special election, regardless of their current term. They will also no longer be eligible for re-election. This may sound harsh, but some countries already have such a system in place. Enforces quite a bit of accountability and prevents gridlock a bit, although not perfectly because politicians are all snakes that find a way to slither about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

5 hours ago, Insipid said:

That's not a good enough punishment. There shouldn't be an option to shut down the government unless it's a dire emergency. Failing to create a budget on time is not one. If a budget is not passed on time, last year's will automatically apply and every member of congress should face a special election, regardless of their current term. They will also no longer be eligible for re-election. This may sound harsh, but some countries already have such a system in place. Enforces quite a bit of accountability and prevents gridlock a bit, although not perfectly because politicians are all snakes that find a way to slither about.

While I'm more than all for that, as Seight already posted these are the same people who will screw all the things over just to keep themselves in power. These are the same people who cheerleaded as sorting machines in post offices were pulled and destroyed 'to make things go faster' when it was really to try to kill off mail-in ballots during a pandemic and were happy to stoke the 'stolen election' lies right up until they had to run for their lives [ and even then you now have those same cowards stoking it once more because why not ]. 

Honestly if half those chucklenuts actually believed in the same Constitution that they are happy to flash and thump at rallies, they'd withdraw themselves from all forms of public office effective immediately just based on the insurrection clause. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 9/19/2023 at 6:28 PM, katt_goddess said:

how many congressmembers don't have outside income/wealth and actually rely on their congressional paycheck tho

the rich ones would could just hold out against the non-rich ones

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

While I'm more than all for that, as Seight already posted these are the same people who will screw all the things over just to keep themselves in power. These are the same people who cheerleaded as sorting machines in post offices were pulled and destroyed 'to make things go faster' when it was really to try to kill off mail-in ballots during a pandemic and were happy to stoke the 'stolen election' lies right up until they had to run for their lives [ and even then you now have those same cowards stoking it once more because why not ]. 

Honestly if half those chucklenuts actually believed in the same Constitution that they are happy to flash and thump at rallies, they'd withdraw themselves from all forms of public office effective immediately just based on the insurrection clause. 

I told a couple of people at work one day my dad's theory of "Now when have you even known bureaucracy to move that quickly?" and they agreed with me.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

how many congressmembers don't have outside income/wealth and actually rely on their congressional paycheck tho

the rich ones would could just hold out against the non-rich ones

Unfortunately a fair number of them, mostly freshmen who had to figure out new living conditions in an environment where you almost need to know someone to live on anything other than a couch for a bit.

But the biggest crybabies are always the ones who've been there the longest with the most money already in their pockets because being a literal welfare queen is all they know and they think they are entitled to that money-for-nothing. 

• Like 3

The House GOP's funding patch fails, teeing up shutdown
Absent an 11th-hour breakthrough, which no one expects, the government will shutter at midnight Sunday.

By JORDAIN CARNEY, CAITLIN EMMA and SARAH FERRIS09/29/2023, 1:51PM ET

House Republicans failed to pass a stopgap government funding bill on Friday, leaving Kevin McCarthy with no clear next step to try to avert a shutdown in less than 36 hours.

It’s an enormous blow to the speaker, who by bringing the vote to the floor essentially dared his hardliners to oppose the patch. He argued that voting against it essentially meant opposing border security. But conservatives called his bluff, with 21 Republicans helping Democrats sink the bill.

“We'll take our votes, and then we'll just sit down and try to work things out,” Rep. Chuck Fleischmann (R-Tenn.) said before Republicans were set to huddle in their third all-members meeting of the week. “I am really concerned that we're going to lapse and go into a shutdown.”

It’s not clear what path House Republicans take from here. Some conservative lawmakers vowed that they will reject any short-term funding patch, further limiting McCarthy’s options. They’ve telegraphed their opposition for weeks, but some Republicans still privately hoped the right flank would ultimately cave. No more votes are expected in the chamber Friday.

https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2023/09/29/congress/stopgap-fails-00119129

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Raptorpat said:

Looks like McCarthy is going to stop trying to do a GOP-only bill and offer a 45-day "clean" stopgap bill with the caveat that it includes no support for Ukraine.

https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2023/09/30/congress/3-votes-00119263

A funny thing about this: at the beginning of today, the Republicans were saying a resolution like this would not happen, be impossible in fact. And then in the course of a morning changed to the opposite position. 

Either that was planned all along or they have no idea what there are doing. 

19 minutes ago, Icarus27k said:

A funny thing about this: at the beginning of today, the Republicans were saying a resolution like this would not happen, be impossible in fact. And then in the course of a morning changed to the opposite position. 

Either that was planned all along or they have no idea what there are doing. 

I’d say both.

• Thanks 2

Screenshot_20230930-144339.thumb.png.e44cd4148d1b4464965984038713a9bf.png

It looks like a shutdown is going to be avoided with less than twelve hours before it happens. I'm happy to be wrong about this. I thought it was going to happen for sure because I didn't see McCarthy going against the right-wing Gaetz Republicans. 

McCarthy may pay a price for that. The Gaetz gang may try to remove him as Speaker now. Look at all the Republican no votes on keeping the government open, a bill McCarthy supports. 

• Like 3

if this hadn't been resolved, doesn't get resolved,  shutdown happened. people on WIC, SNAP and those that use child care resources though DPH would have all been greatly affected. 

even after seeing a huge jump in single mothers getting back out into the work force. 

damned if you fucking do damned if you fucking don't. 

fyi some may be surprised to know how many on that safety net, also work 40+ hours a week. that's the fucking damn shame. the working poor. but let's not talk about that. 

Edited by discolé monade
  • Like 3