UnevenEdge

FLCL Grunge Episode 1 Discussion!!

OwlChemist81

That... all felt so fake. So shallow. As if, after the criticism of the previous 2, they took it to mean "FLCL must have these specific story beats" and crammed them all in. A subtle hint of self awareness. Was honestly kinda hoping the next episode preview would swerve in an entirely different direction, but it looks to be more of this..

Let’s be real. Approximately 200,000 people watched episode 1 live and within the same day. That’s likely where the bulk of its viewership is rather than Max or piracy. It also aired on Adult Swim Canada but I doubt it pulled in even as much as the US airing. Potentially less than 500,000 people alive in the whole world have given even a single thought to FLCL: Grunge and that’s including everyone who worked on it in any capacity. There’s certainly less exposed anime any given season but not ones tied to a beloved series. I would not say it’s underpromoted per say but hardly anyone has noticed it and among those who have the ratio of positive to negative reception leans negative.

4 hours ago, Jman said:

This show has gone over so badly DeMarco had to debunk rumors it was written by some cringe writer in LA.

I like how he didn’t do the logical thing and actually link us to the person who did write it. Classic, Demarco brand half truths. “The show wasn’t written by someone from LA guys, they are actually from San Diego!” Even just one episode in its blatantly obvious it was written by an American who watched, but did not understand the original. Just references things that were memorable with zero context and the subtly of a brick through a window. 

36 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Let’s be real. Approximately 200,000 people watched episode 1 live and within the same day. That’s likely where the bulk of its viewership is rather than Max or piracy. It also aired on Adult Swim Canada but I doubt it pulled in even as much as the US airing. Potentially less than 500,000 people alive in the whole world have given even a single thought to FLCL: Grunge and that’s including everyone who worked on it in any capacity. There’s certainly less exposed anime any given season but not ones tied to a beloved series. I would not say it’s underpromoted per se but hardly anyone has noticed it and among those who have the ratio of positive to negative reception leans negative.

I think there are a lot of people who have noticed it, and just refused to engage with it in any capacity. It’s not flying under the radar, many people see it’s blip, they are just choosing to ignore it. 

It’s written in Japan by Tetsuhiro Ikeda

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=202423

The script was then adapted for English by Stephanie Sheh. She’s not known to punch up scripts or deviate from the Japanese translation.

This stuff isn’t hard to find, it’s literally in the credits. And if DeMarco flat out said it was written by Tetsuhiro Ikeda or even “someone in Japan” people would still say he’s lying or half truthing.

• Thanks 1

• Top Gun unpinned this topic