UnevenEdge

Uzumaki trailer is finally released

Jman

6 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Why would that very important piece of info not be in the trailer then? Fully expecting him to drop a “whoops there was a delay lol” around mid September. 

It wasn’t a trailer it was a clip from an episode but it’s not a good sign that DeMarco said no time frame at the panel.

For now I’m expecting it to replace FLCL Grunge mid-October because nothing says it has to finish in October. Of course Superman will be done after Labor Day weekend so they could stall 4 weeks then start it in October and overlap originals two weeks.

Or since Ninja Kamui is supposedly starting this year then that might replace Grunge and overlap with Uzumaki. Sub that with Rick Anime for a more realistic scenario I guess.

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

It wasn’t a trailer it was a clip from an episode but it’s not a good sign that DeMarco said no time frame at the panel.

For now I’m expecting it to replace FLCL Grunge mid-October because nothing says it has to finish in October. Of course Superman will be done after Labor Day weekend so they could stall 4 weeks then start it in October and overlap originals two weeks.

Or since Ninja Kamui is supposedly starting this year then that might replace Grunge and overlap with Uzumaki. Sub that with Rick Anime for a more realistic scenario I guess.

He did a follow up tweet and said Ninja Kamui is 2024

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, naraku360 said:

On one hand, this looks quite a bit better than expected.

On the other, out of Uzumaki's 20 chapters, there were like 4 that did not make me feel dumber for having read it.

Spoiler

The hair fight, right?

30 minutes ago, Jman said:
  Hide contents

The hair fight, right?

Spoiler

That, and the zombie on a bike, and the flies flying in circles, and....

Well.... the main girl.

I kinda hated how she'd still be treating things as if nothing is wrong over half way through the series, only to inevitably be shocked by something surreal, at best, if not straight up grotesque. Then she hears about some new oddity in the next chapter, treats it like it's nothing to worry about, then be equally shocked as she was the last 10 times.

The combination of the main character's stubborn lack of personality and stupidity with many concepts that really, really stretch the word "spiral" through comically dumb ideas was actively upsetting.

I appreciate that this is only going to be 4 episodes since the vast majority of the manga chapters were arbitrary, contrived situations that have no significance whatsoever. I liked the first chapter, a few here and there (actually more than 4 chapters, but still less than half the series), and the arc near the end since that tied a select handful of the adequate-to-good chapters together and managed to make the extreme absurdity into an effective horror story.

I just wish it didn't feel like Ito had come up with an interesting premise and some cool ideas of what to do with it, but ran out of ideas almost immediately.

• Like 1

Turns out the Rick & Morty anime won’t be the only subtitled show on Adult Swim soon

The current plan is to premiere Uzumaki subtitled 

So let me get this straight… you spent 4+ years on these four episodes and when the show airs it will be monochrome and subtitled. And you expect your shounen action loving and/or pot smoking audience to watch it?

Good luck with that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

So 10+ years of telling your audience that subs = ratings death sentence, and now you are gonna roll out one of your pet projects under those conditions? 

I don’t really care either way (though I do agree on a visual dominant show like this it’s a unique issue), but more hypocrisy from the big man. 

Place your bets, they will double dip on it, the premier subbed, then rather than a proper replacement, we have to spend another 4 weeks premiering the dub. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Sketch said:

So let me get this straight… you spent 4+ years on these four episodes and when the show airs it will be monochrome and subtitled. And you expect your shounen action loving and/or pot smoking audience to watch it?

Good luck with that.

Apparently April Fool's Day in 2018 was a test case after all. I shouldn't have doubted Al. :RoboTongue:

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Subtitled AND Black and White?

Feels like a "Made-For-TCM" project to me, and maybe that's WHY Demarco is backing it, to air it on TCM as an "instant classic" in 2024 after premiering on Toonami in October 2023???

I was also thinking this felt like something made for TCM. Maybe it will actually air there.

1 hour ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

So 10+ years of telling your audience that subs = ratings death sentence, and now you are gonna roll out one of your pet projects under those conditions? 

I don’t really care either way (though I do agree on a visual dominant show like this it’s a unique issue), but more hypocrisy from the big man. 

Place your bets, they will double dip on it, the premier subbed, then rather than a proper replacement, we have to spend another 4 weeks premiering the dub. 

I don’t think they’ll air the dub immediately after the sub because I get the impression the dub isn’t going to be ready by then. It would have been a novel move to say bookend the block with the dub and sub of Uzumaki but obviously air the dub earlier.

But if they’re actually going to run Uzumaki in Japanese in the first hour of Toonami then I’m all the more certain they’ll be leading the block with RickAniMorty encores once Uzumaki ends. The only reason I thought they might just quietly throw that in the back was because I didn’t think they would ever start Toonami with a subtitled show (yeah yeah Sandwhale yadda yadda) but if they’ll do it for Uzumaki then they’ll do it for RickAniMorty.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Sketch said:

I don’t think they’ll air the dub immediately after the sub because I get the impression the dub isn’t going to be ready by then. It would have been a novel move to say bookend the block with the dub and sub of Uzumaki but obviously air the dub earlier.

I dont expect it immediately either. I have a strong feeling that the only reason they are considering a sub run at all is because they can’t get this dubbed in time to replace Grunge. 

What I expect is sometime in the future we will be pondering what will replace a gap in the schedule, only to be disappointed by the Uzumaki dub which they will spin as some kind of privilege to get over something new. Will be even more frustrating if Uzumaki ends up sucking. 

• Confused 1