UnevenEdge

South Koreans Are About to Get Up To 2 Years Younger….

1pooh4u

It seems S. Korea didn’t consider aging the same as the rest of the world. Idk if in S Korea they are counting the time in the womb or what, but every person was automatically 1 the day they were born. Everyone in S Korea also officially age on January 1 so if you were born on Jan 1 you were actually 2 upon emerging from the womb

However they were doing it, they won’t any longer, meaning that everyone is going to lose the years given at birth. So 29 yo freaking out about turning 30 will actually go back 1-2 years.  I guess as of today anyone being born is 0 at birth

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-66028606.amp

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

so as to give the fetus a standing as an actual person? 

so...pregnant women can drive in the carpool lane, and claim on income taxes (i have no idea how that works over there)

and the korean people already look so young. 

Omg the do look so young BUT they undergo the age bomb. When they hit about 60 they suddenly age and shrink all at once. 

I think the age thing was from old Asian culture. I didn’t read the entire article cuz I was just like “if I could lose 2 years off my age, I would be so happy”

IMG_3026.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

OR you can try to claim disability and get SSD now! 

I’ve heard that’s actually very hard to do. It’s nigh impossible to get approved on the first try. For example, someone I grew up with back in the old neighborhood had to apply four times before he finally got approved for it.

5 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

I think the age thing was from old Asian culture.

It stems from the old Chinese age system.  As foreign as a concept as it is/was I always thought it was an interesting cultural aspect.  It's changes like these that have small reverberations and leave future generations wondering how certain things came about xD

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Vela said:

It stems from the old Chinese age system.  As foreign as a concept as it is/was I always thought it was an interesting cultural aspect.  It's changes like these that have small reverberations and leave future generations wondering how certain things came about xD

I am so glad we don’t include our stay in the womb when considering how old we are 😆 but S Korea added a little extra spice by aging everyone on Jan 1 for government purposes 😆

55 minutes ago, Gemini said:

I’ve heard that’s actually very hard to do. It’s nigh impossible to get approved on the first try. For example, someone I grew up with back in the old neighborhood had to apply four times before he finally got approved for it.

My father worked for SS I never said it’s an easy process but yes almost everyone is denied when they first apply but if you keep up with appeals and you eventually get SSD (not SSI) they have to pay from when you were originally denied. It’s best to get an atty and plenty don’t take $ until you win plus I think you might be thinking of SSI which is harder to get than SSD

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

I am so glad we don’t include our stay in the womb when considering how old we are 😆 but S Korea added a little extra spice by aging everyone on Jan 1 for government purposes 😆

lol, counting the 9 months is one thing but giving everyone the same date on paper is extreme.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

My father worked for SS I never said it’s an easy process but yes almost everyone is denied when they first apply but if you keep up with appeals and you eventually get SSD (not SSI) they have to pay from when you were originally denied. It’s best to get an atty and plenty don’t take $ until you win plus I think you might be thinking of SSI which is harder to get than SSD

No, it was a SSD. I should’ve mentioned that earlier as well as the fact that he was not disabled when he was born; he became permanently disabled after an accident at work. My bad.

Then again, the guy may have told me wrong, and it may have been SSI after all. We had a falling out a few years ago, so I don’t want to reach out and verify.

Edited by Gemini

30 minutes ago, Vela said:

And Douglas Adams once wrote that time was an illusion; lunchtime, doubly so.

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Vela said:

lol, counting the 9 months is one thing but giving everyone the same date on paper is extreme.

Children born on Dec 31st are 2 come Jan 1 idk how anyone in SK knew how old they were cuz they have 3 ages. Culture age government age and actual age. No wonder they have strict drug laws 😆(jk I don’t know their drug laws)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Young South Korean: "Yay, I can legally drink now!"

South Korean Government: "Not so fast..."

Any 19 yo about to be 17 is gonna be so mad 😆

I like how S Korea allows people to buy cigarettes and alcohol on the year they turn 19 and not the literal day they turn 19. I think that’s pretty cool. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

It's like when the US made all the states increase the drinking age to 21, so there are folks out there in that cohort who could go drink in bars and then suddenly couldn't again.

happened to me. ^we^ were grand-fathered in. and i had to be. i was a waitress at a place that sold alcohol. 

can get drafted, but can't buy a beer to celebrate or a pack of cigs to calm the nerves. 

Edited by discolé monade
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Raptorpat said:

It's like when the US made all the states increase the drinking age to 21, so there are folks out there in that cohort who could go drink in bars and then suddenly couldn't again.

They didn’t do a going forward?  They actually removed the privilege?  

• Like 1

disco mentioned the exemption, so it was a thing. I think it may have been a state-by-state decision on how to implement? because really what happened if I recollect was the feds conditioned federal transportation funding on states individually raising it to 21. but I def know of people who were allowed to drink and then got cut off.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

disco mentioned the exemption, so it was a thing. I think it may have been a state-by-state decision on how to implement? because really what happened if I recollect was the feds conditioned federal transportation funding on states individually raising it to 21. but I def know of people who were allowed to drink and then got cut off.

Yeah congress did threaten highway funds if the states didn’t raise the drinking age

nvm NY doesn’t allow that anymore either damn lol