UnevenEdge

My Adventures with Superman set to premiere July 6 at midnight with a two episode premier

Jman

Be that as it may, it will still be really interesting to see what Toonami does with this show. If Toonami CAN expand to 11 PM in 3Q 2023, [as] may try slotting it there (not to mention a full-season Unicorn: Warriors Eternal marathon on 7/1 from 11-4). That way, we can get a new show at 12 AM that week and perhaps another one at 11:30 the following week (like FLCL Shoegaze, maybe?) while Dr. Stone stays at 12:30.

But if that isn't the case, Dr. Stone HAS to move down to 1, but for how long? Will we get a one-hour finale of UWE on 6/22 too? If so, that would actually begin Dr. Stone's move down and maybe even knock MHA off the schedule.

Hopefully Toonami DOES get to expand in July and we get a 4-or even 5-hour block! Provided I can still stay awake for the whole thing anymore (I'm struggling with Naruto and MHA these days), I'd love to see this:

7/1 - UWE Full show 11 PM-4 AM (or maybe even 11-4:30 if they start with Episode 10)

7/8 - 11 PM Supes x2, 12 AM New Show, 12:30 Dr. Stone, 1 AM One Piece, 1:30 Shippuden, 2 AM MHA, 2:30 UWE, 3 AM Primal S1 x2

7/15 and after - 11 PM Supes, 11:30 & 12 AM New Shows, 1 AM One Piece, 1:30 Shippuden, 2 AM MHA, 2:30 UWE, 3 AM Primal S1 x2

Meanwhile, 7/7 on Fridays, I would love to see them ditch KOTH completely and try Supes and Venture Brothers back-to-back from 7-9 PM? Maybe even keeping the theme going by adding MHA S6 reruns at 6 PM in September?

Not surprised, I expected this to immediately follow up the conclusion of UWE. Now, if they are adhering to a strict one original at a time rule, the math for 2 FLCL and Uzumaki does not work out. At least, if they intend for Uzumaki to fill the 4 Saturday’s in October. Superman will run till mid September. If Uzumaki is delayed again they can just start FLCL immediately after it ends and both seasons should carry them till the end of the year. So here’s how things look currently.

12 - Superman/FLCL/maybe Uzumaki

12:30 - Dr Stone - early 2024

1 - New Show

1:30 - One Piece - forever

2 - Naruto - June 2024

2:30 - MHA - early 2024

Not many spaces for surprises left on the block this year. Only way they could squeeze another in is if they decide to drop OP after Punk Hazard, or drop MHA and slide the shonen hour down and use 1:30 as another short premier slot.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Not surprised, I expected this to immediately follow up the conclusion of UWE. Now, if they are adhering to a strict one original at a time rule, the math for 2 FLCL and Uzumaki does not work out. At least, if they intend for Uzumaki to fill the 4 Saturday’s in October. Superman will run till mid September. If Uzumaki is delayed again they can just start FLCL immediately after it ends and both seasons should carry them till the end of the year. So here’s how things look currently.

12 - Superman/FLCL/maybe Uzumaki

12:30 - Dr Stone - early 2024

1 - New Show

1:30 - One Piece - forever

2 - Naruto - June 2024

2:30 - MHA - early 2024

Not many spaces for surprises left on the block this year. Only way they could squeeze another in is if they decide to drop OP after Punk Hazard, or drop MHA and slide the shonen hour down and use 1:30 as another short premier slot.

Uzumaki is deader than

Spoiler

Logan Roy after a half hour of CPR

stop getting your hopes up.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Uzumaki is deader than

Reveal hidden contents

Logan Roy after a half hour of CPR

stop getting your hopes up.

My hopes are as low as they can be. But, until they roll out this years annual excuse reel for why it’s not coming, I still list it among things we have to work around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jman said:

Full trailer.

That trailer felt very CN initially and about the only thing that felt like Adult Swim was the final moments of the announcer voice and music. Much more so than UWE this just feels juvenile. I think it will be a good family show but it’s not where it belongs.

48 minutes ago, Sketch said:

That trailer felt very CN initially and about the only thing that felt like Adult Swim was the final moments of the announcer voice and music. Much more so than UWE this just feels juvenile. I think it will be a good family show but it’s not where it belongs.

It's a clear case of "we're dumping this somewhere", from what I've seen.  It was DOA as soon as James Gunn announced his intention for future animation to be in continuity with his rebooted DC Universe.  The only hope at this point is that the Warner higher ups consider this a solid for them and give Toonami access to Creature Commandos when it airs, because that will be an adult cartoon, and will be in continuity with the relaunch, so it will get way more eyeballs than this trainwreck.

• Thanks 1

Unicorn: Warriors Eternal is a good show. It belongs on Toonami, and it's just because of Genndy's weird preference to have shows premiere outside the block that it's not premiering there.

That isn't the case with MAW Superman, and it may reasonably suffer the opposite fate. It would be utterly hilarious if it just got kicked off Toonami in favor of a bunch of incoming shows, and finished on Thursday nights/Friday afternoons/ACME night only instead!

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

This is a huge missed opportunity to trial a 8-9pm premier for tame content. If they are going to expand AS as much as they are, I’d like to see them use the time in a logical way. 

UWE is tame, but Genndy content often transcends its intended audience. People are tuning in for it purely to see Genndy’s unique animation style, and arent phased by the shows clearly intended juvenile audience. I don’t think the audience will extend that courtesy to Superman, especially since it’s just a generic “I wish I was anime” type of animation style. 

This show will be the face of Toonami for 8 full weeks, and to be frank, I’d be embarrassed to encourage someone to give Toonami a try and have this be the first thing they see. This isn’t midnight material. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

While I'll admit that's the most likely scenario, do we know that for sure? Another alternative could be deathslotting it between MHA and Venture Brothers. To assume this is the new midnight show after UWE is not only short-sighted, it also rejects years of data regarding what [as] Toonami has done with DC shows and movies. The only other CN-to-Toonami series, Beware the Batman, aired at 3 AM and 2:30 AM, and most DC movies had a midnight lead-in that WASN'T DC-related. The Batman movies in 2020 and the Harley Quinn marathon in 2021 were more or less the exception to the rule!

47 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

While I'll admit that's the most likely scenario, do we know that for sure? Another alternative could be deathslotting it between MHA and Venture Brothers. To assume this is the new midnight show after UWE is not only short-sighted, it also rejects years of data regarding what [as] Toonami has done with DC shows and movies. The only other CN-to-Toonami series, Beware the Batman, aired at 3 AM and 2:30 AM, and most DC movies had a midnight lead-in that WASN'T DC-related. The Batman movies in 2020 and the Harley Quinn marathon in 2021 were more or less the exception to the rule!

These are essentially my thoughts. 

I mean, am I missing something? Has it been advertised or stated that this is coming to Toonami as well? When UWE was announced it was immediately stated that it would be rerunning on Toonami. I did not hear that for MAWS, but I could have just missed it. 

I think it is more than likely that once UWE ends it will be replaced with something new or bumping Dr Stone up to midnight, with MAWS rerunning later in the night, if at all. I could be wrong of course, so we shall see. 

I really do not see it as being 'the face of Toonami' though..

Edited by atomicinumatt

2 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I try not to get hung up on the 1% chance things. It’s getting your hopes up for no reason. AS number one priority these days is shilling things for Max. Airing this anywhere but midnight is putting Toonami first, something they couldn’t care less about. 

1 hour ago, atomicinumatt said:

These are essentially my thoughts. 

I mean, am I missing something? Has it been advertised or stated that this is coming to Toonami as well? When UWE was announced it was immediately stated that it would be rerunning on Toonami. I did not hear that for MAWS, but I could have just missed it. 

I think it is more than likely that once UWE ends it will be replaced with something new or bumping Dr Stone up to midnight, with MAWS rerunning later in the night, if at all. I could be wrong of course, so we shall see. 

I really do not see it as being 'the face of Toonami' though..

When it was first announced for AS it was stated it would also encore on Toonami. 

The lead show is always the face of the block. It gets the most promotion and has the most eyes on it. 

3 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

When it was first announced for AS it was stated it would also encore on Toonami. 

The lead show is always the face of the block. It gets the most promotion and has the most eyes on it. 

Ah I must have missed that. This article says that it is rerunning on Toonami at midnight, though it is not from [as]/Toonami, but it seems official enough. Kinda dumb that they would not say it is rerunning on Toonami during the recent ad for MAWS. They did do that with UWE.

Edited by atomicinumatt

34 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

Ah I must have missed that. This article says that it is rerunning on Toonami at midnight, though it is not from [as]/Toonami, but it seems official enough. Kinda dumb that they would not say it is rerunning on Toonami during the recent ad for MAWS. They did do that with UWE.

Toonami related advertising in recent years has always been pretty laser focused on one thing at a time. We gotta get close to finishing our UWE candy bar before they let us open our Superman one. They may also not want to make any Toonami related schedule statements until the Food Wars replacement is ready to go out. 

8 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Another thing that article curiously omits is any ACME night airings.

Honestly I think they are flying by the seat of their pants on these two shows. I’ll bet UWE Acme night reruns weren’t decided till the very last second. 

45 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

They didn’t mention Toonami in the earliest ads for Unicorn either.

To play devil’s advocate that article might not know the exact time MAWS is on Toonami and the author just knows Toonami starts at Midnight. But there’s no way I see MAWS encores airing in the back of the block. It’s probably first, maybe 2nd.

Following up on prior conversations about the appeal of this show for adults…

While I do think it feels more like a CN show than UWE does (mostly because UWE is kinda boring for a kids show) I don’t actually think the Toonami audience will avoid watching it. The majority might even like it. The Thursday night crowd though? I’m skeptical but cape shit does tend to appeal to a broader audience than a lot of what AS airs.

The problem is that it’s capeshit that very specifically doesn’t count.  

To wit, with the big DC relaunch the talk of all the internet, on top of Gunn flat out saying “cartoons will be in continuity”, this slice of life leftover with tomboy Lois and the dude from The Boys as Clark is essentially a leftover, a contractually obligated also-ran.  When you teach your audience that the only stories that matter are the ones that contribute to the big on screen narrative of the extended universe, and very publicly announce that none of the stories matter until the big relaunch movie hits, why even bother paying attention?

Now add in it being an unabashed kids show that desperately wishes it was animated by the Japanese, and you might as well not even bother.

1) Gunn’s new focus hasn’t even happened yet

2) People watch cape shit that doesn’t tie into anything despite what Disney thinks

3) Looking like anime isn’t a deal breaker given people still want more 2003 Teen Titans to this day

But I know there are also cape shit fans that won’t give the show a chance because Lois is Asian, Jimmy is Indian and Clark comes off as a himbo that girl boss Lois will push around because that’s woke or some shit. They’ll be frothing at the mouth if Jimmy is gay or there’s a trans character in it.

• Like 1

It’s not Toonami, but I think the examples of Avengers Assemble and the Guardians of the Galaxy cartoons are a good example of people ignoring superhero material because they didn’t count, even if both were specifically designed to emulate the look of their live-action counterparts.  Assemble got the worst of it because it replaced Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, widely considered an equal to Justice League in a classic case of “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”, but GOTG, despite some genuinely good moments (like their pastiche episodes that had Gamora as a Disney Princess) didn’t do that great ratings-wise either.

And yes, Gunn’s new reboot is years away.  But The Flash comes out next week and the big takeaway, besides “Batman!” is “That’s All Folks!”  That can’t be good for the show.

Tomboy Lois is already rustling people’s jimmies online, so that won’t help either.

Those very same shows might have got more interest if they premiered now on Disney Plus but nobody paid attention to them on DXD. Also their animation makes MAWS look great by comparison.

I really don’t think MAWS will bomb despite clearly not being Invincible. Despite what a very vocal minority has to say about it being filled with vocal minorities, it’s probably gonna do fine.

But chances of there being more all but went out the window when they abandoned plans to market it to the youth.

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

While I do think it feels more like a CN show than UWE does (mostly because UWE is kinda boring for a kids show) I don’t actually think the Toonami audience will avoid watching it. The majority might even like it. The Thursday night crowd though? I’m skeptical but cape shit does tend to appeal to a broader audience than a lot of what AS airs.

When these were first announced, I saw a lot of people willing to give UWE a chance purely because of Genndy. Now that people are actually watching it, the complaints are rolling out, but the people are still watching it. Superman though, most discussion I saw were people turning their nose up at it. Will it bomb? Probably not, but I do expect it to perform lower than UWE has. As more information comes out, primarily staff involved, I have only seen more resentment towards it.

1 hour ago, Jman said:

Tomboy Lois is already rustling people’s jimmies online, so that won’t help either.

Funny enough, tomboy Lois has been one of the few factors I have seen actually encouraging people to give it a try. Tomboy is in right now in a big way. She might carry this show all on her own if they make her personality likable. 

• Like 1

Lois has always been a tomboy even when she's been presented as a classy lady. People are real quick to point out how much she (absolutely) looks like the lead from the Owl House and it gets the show points with some animation fans and loses it some with others. It will likely have a mixed reception from animation fans but being a Superman thing sells it to a broader audience than just the animation heads. I agree it probably will do worse than UWE but probably not much worse.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sketch said:

Lois has always been a tomboy even when she's been presented as a classy lady. People are real quick to point out how much she (absolutely) looks like the lead from the Owl House and it gets the show points with some animation fans and loses it some with others. It will likely have a mixed reception from animation fans but being a Superman thing sells it to a broader audience than just the animation heads. I agree it probably will do worse than UWE but probably not much worse.

Tomboy is a package deal. You gotta have the short hair and tan skin to rope in true tomboy enthusiasts. If this show does nothing else, I have a sneaking feeling this Lois is going down as the best tomboy of 2023. It’s a brief image of what she will be like in the promo, but so far everything about her comes off as if someone compiled all the ideal tomboy elements to appeal to the internet before making this character. I have already seen fanart getting cranked out. 

And yes, I have never seen even one second of Owl House, but my very first thought when seeing the promotional image a few months ago was “hah Owl House girl”. 

The Owl House was not a very popular show outside of its small, loud Twitter audience, but I don't think people will hold that against this show as much as they will the kid feel. I hesitate to use Unicorn's Nielsens given how much of the show is tied up in Max viewership, but people avoided the block then came in for the anime, Dr. Stone in particular.  Superman definitely gets more attention than a Genndy show not attached to a license, especially given Unicorn's mis-marketed appearance (thankfully it's a limited series), but there's a lot here.  

Of course watch as I say that and this show ends up being a minor cult classic and Creature Commandos is despised.  

2 hours ago, Jman said:

I hesitate to use Unicorn's Nielsens given how much of the show is tied up in Max viewership, but people avoided the block then came in for the anime, Dr. Stone in particular. 

I honestly don't know that is true. Dr. Stone only got a 0.097 in Adults 18-49. With the floor at 0.112 for the Top 200 Reruns, it's still possible that UWE beat that, and, perhaps more importantly, it and the American Dad episodes which DID chart on the Top 200 Reruns did better in 18-34 than a 0.13.

Sources:

https://www.spoilertv.com/2023/03/top-400-cable-shows-week-ending-26th_01602488462.html?m=1

https://www.spoilertv.com/2023/03/top-200-cable-reruns-week-ending-26th_01243089880.html?m=1

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-6-3-2023-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

57 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

STOP. TRYING. TO. BE. ANIME.

Some can be anime, but you need to have something deeper than a surface level understanding of the material.  It’s why Castlevania’s fight scenes work (even if the writer of the first series is a sex pest shitheel).

This is why I like that despite having flourishes from anime, Invincible takes most of its cues from the 90s X-Men cartoon.

Edited by Jman

2 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

STOP. TRYING. TO. BE. ANIME.

Western projects flop immediately if they don’t try to rip off anime. Genndy is the sole outlier to this rule. No one else has the talent to be an exception. And since this was originally CN bound, they were probably trying to lure in some of that audience who hasn’t seen the good stuff yet. 

7 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Western projects flop immediately if they don’t try to rip off anime. Genndy is the sole outlier to this rule. No one else has the talent to be an exception. And since this was originally CN bound, they were probably trying to lure in some of that audience who hasn’t seen the good stuff yet. 

We’ve had successful examples fairly recently, namely Invincible not to mention the Spider-Verse sequel making tons of money worldwide, but so much of the male family audience has been completely ceded to the Japanese by writers that only want to write about “MY FEEWINGS” or relationships for the LBGTQ+ community shippers, that it’s almost impossible for the male audience to not associate anime with stuff for them and other stuff for girls.  If 10 year old boys are wearing Jujutsu Kaisen shirts, something has gone wrong, in a big way.

Genndy is like…the one guy still making action animation in his own style.

7 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

God I fuck with Heavenly Delusion so much

FX could totally kick Toonami’s decrepit ass with a Saturday block featuring Heavenly Delusion and Summer Time Rendering and they could really make it sting if the headliner was Bleach TYBW but Disney isn’t going to flex with their exclusive anime beyond keeping them exclusive to Hulu here.

13 minutes ago, Sketch said:

FX could totally kick Toonami’s decrepit ass with a Saturday block featuring Heavenly Delusion and Summer Time Rendering and they could really make it sting if the headliner was Bleach TYBW but Disney isn’t going to flex with their exclusive anime beyond keeping them exclusive to Hulu here.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA when Hulu's trying their hardest to bury Heavenly Delusion under the JP name (let alone make the dub even more of a pain in the ass to find) you might as well wait for the 9th Circle of Hell to melt.

10 hours ago, Sketch said:

Summer Time Rendering was soooooo damn good. If anyone hasn't checked it out because of how Disney practically buried it, do yourselves a favor and watch it.

Since DeMarco won’t promote…anything anymore (this is why I laughed when he said he would have made Witch from Mercury a big deal) it falls to Jack Quaid, who actually has trade paper cred due to his role as Hughie in The Boys.  So here he is, using an interview about The Boys to promote the show.

Edited by Jman
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

“Some anime influence within the animation”

”Some”

ED09C116-BFCB-4D77-B023-08E0F742886F.jpeg

Well it’s not full anime.  The ending will likely be just a black screen and credits.  Not like it will have the cast dancing.

Screenshot_20230621-212109.thumb.png.5d06486c4bcd43551d25b22ce834eb7e.png

What is this long object in the middle? Is it a spacecraft? 

This is a stretch, but the only DC thing that's ringing a bell is the Anti-Monitor's tuning tower.

In that case, maybe the red-eyed figure in the background is NOT Darkseid but the Anti-Monitor. 

Screenshot_20230621-213028.thumb.png.3a71c1870b728fc5171b0394278a977e.png

Edited by Icarus27k