UnevenEdge

My Adventures with Superman is now set to debut on Adult Swim this year

Jman

19 minutes ago, Blatch said:

[raises eyebrows]

This would seem to imply anything remotely for older audiences will be absorbed into this new structure.  It also seems to imply between this and Unicorn that Toonami will be relying much more on in-house production because all the other streamers have anime on lockdown.  

Man, this seems like the end for Toonami. Not that it will be cancelled, but instead it’s just going to be a dumping ground for western reruns and the occasional original. One Piece and Naruto will always bring up the rear. 

I know some people are all in on Toonami having western content, but there also quite a few like myself who are here for the anime, and if the block isn’t airing anime I’ll just take a hiatus until it does again. One Piece and Naruto are just the extra experience for the other shows, I’m not invested enough into either to tune in for them on their own. 

I still believe One Piece’s future on Toonami is directly tied to how the Netflix show does.  If that thing is a hit (LOLNO), Zaslav will probably not want the cartoon on his channel since he will see it as an ad for a competitor.  

I know that there are a lot of people cheering this and think that Toonami shouldn’t be an anime lineup but should be a launching pad for Western action animation to reach an audience it can’t otherwise, but I also think that if they go full Western, Toonami dies in a year.  

1 hour ago, Jman said:

I still believe One Piece’s future on Toonami is directly tied to how the Netflix show does.  If that thing is a hit (LOLNO), Zaslav will probably not want the cartoon on his channel since he will see it as an ad for a competitor.  

I know that there are a lot of people cheering this and think that Toonami shouldn’t be an anime lineup but should be a launching pad for Western action animation to reach an audience it can’t otherwise, but I also think that if they go full Western, Toonami dies in a year.  

I don’t think they put much worry into what Netflix is doing, but I do think they may reassess before committing to Dressrosa. They seem against returning to the double premier, and even with two episodes a week, Dressrosa is painful. 

4 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

I'm really not a fan of this tumblr faux-anime style.

Look, I expect this to be another Beware the Batfleck situation.  This was greenlit before the market contraction, remember.

2 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Man, this seems like the end for Toonami. Not that it will be cancelled, but instead it’s just going to be a dumping ground for western reruns and the occasional original. One Piece and Naruto will always bring up the rear. 

I know some people are all in on Toonami having western content, but there also quite a few like myself who are here for the anime, and if the block isn’t airing anime I’ll just take a hiatus until it does again. One Piece and Naruto are just the extra experience for the other shows, I’m not invested enough into either to tune in for them on their own. 

Dude, this is definitely NOT the end of Toonami. 

This will premiere on [as] I think, as is Unicorn, and they are EXTENDING [as] to start at 7pm.. Sure, we will probably get some reruns out of these on Toonami but come on man. I am not a fan of these western actions shows as much either but I do not see them taking over the block. They were able to pick up MiA and MHA this past year. We just got Food Wars S5 and also have FLCL and Uzumaki in the pipeline. They also seem to stay tight lipped about new acquisitions until the last minute, which I am sure they have other things lined up for Toonami that we are not aware of. 

No need to doom here.. Maybe you should just go ahead and take your hiatus. 

Edited by atomicinumatt
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

Dude, this is definitely NOT the end of Toonami. 

This will premiere on [as] I think, as is Unicorn, and they are EXTENDING [as] to start at 7pm.. Sure, we will probably get some reruns out of these on Toonami but come on man. I am not a fan of these western actions shows as much either but I do not see them taking over the block. They were able to pick up MiA and MHA this past year. We just got Food Wars S5 and also have FLCL and Uzumaki in the pipeline. They also seem to stay tight lipped about new acquisitions until the last minute, which I am sure they have other things lined up for Toonami that we are not aware of. 

No need to doom here.. Maybe you should just go ahead and take your hiatus. 

I will reiterate my very first point, I do NOT think Toonami will be cancelled. In fact, this news probably means it’s safer than it has been in a long time. However, many fans of the block tune in specifically for the anime, as it’s the only place on cable to see anime. Here’s a rough breakdown of the post May schedule given the information we currently have. 

12 - FLCL Grunge/Shoegaze and Uzumaki (16 weeks minimum). Very good chance each FLCL will loop in the same timeslot as Prog and Alt did, so that’s another potential 12 weeks

12:30 - Unicorn and Superman (20 weeks minimum)

1 - Food Wars/other sequel anime acquisition 

1:30 - One Piece (indefinite)

2 - Shippuden (indefinite)

2:30 - rerun slot (indefinite)

If you are a fan of the blocks acquisitions, you don’t got much to look forward to here. One slot to play with. People who want the block to branch out on its anime choices? Completely shut out. Doom is very justified for those fans. 

Now, as you say, Adult Swim is expanding an hour. Could they glue another hour on Toonami to accommodate these shows? Possibly. But with their current struggles to fill the schedule, I don’t see that happening. Best case scenario is the entire block is slid up by an hour. Which hey, not a bad thing, and maybe with that change we could justify the last slot not being reruns only. We will have to wait for information to develop on that matter in the coming weeks. 

You know how people often claim Naruto killed old Toonami? That’s never been a literal statement that Naruto killed it from a performance standpoint. If you were not a Naruto fan when all the block aired was Naruto, the block may as well have been dead cause you likely weren’t watching it at all. The block getting a bunch of non premier western content filling up its already limited time doesn’t make me feel confident in its future, or my own future tuning into it. I am one of those people who wanted to see them delve deep into that Sentai catalog, and barring an expansion, that has basically been rendered impossible for the foreseeable future. 

Of course, all of this is just like, my opinion man, and could be (and likely is) entirely worthless. But I also doubt I’m the only Toonami viewer who feels this way. Time will tell if the brass at AS is making the right choices here or not depending how the audience reacts. 

15 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I will reiterate my very first point, I do NOT think Toonami will be cancelled. In fact, this news probably means it’s safer than it has been in a long time. However, many fans of the block tune in specifically for the anime, as it’s the only place on cable to see anime. Here’s a rough breakdown of the post May schedule given the information we currently have.  

You literally claim it sounds like the end. This is just seems so contrarian. And then you go on to say that you are considering taking a hiatus. So do it if you no longer enjoy the block.

Toonami does not detail their acquisitions months in advance and we usually do not hear about them until nearing air dates. We barely knew about MiA or MHA until they aired. Same for Food Wars S5, so your itinerary is basically useless in that regards. 

They were even asking about Sentai faves, hinting that they are looking there for more acquisitions. 

Enough with all the doom and gloom. We all know the block is not what it used to be and regurgitating the same talking points is a bore. If you do not like it, then simply tune out, like you yourself suggested. 

Edited by atomicinumatt

1 hour ago, Jman said:

Look, I expect this to be another Beware the Batfleck situation.  This was greenlit before the market contraction, remember.

I heard someone call it Velma but with Superman characters. Based on some tweets I have seen from its creators, I fear they may be on the right track. 

35 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

You literally claim it sounds like the end. This is just seems so contrarian. And then you go on to say that you are considering taking a hiatus. So do it if you no longer enjoy the block.

Toonami does not detail their acquisitions months in advance and we usually do not hear about them until nearing air dates. We barely knew about MiA or MHA until they aired. Same for Food Wars S5, so your itinerary is basically useless in that regards. 

They were even asking about Sentai faves, hinting that they are looking there for more acquisitions. 

Enough with all the doom and gloom. We all know the block is not what it used to be and regurgitating the same talking points is a bore. If you do not like it, then simply tune out, like you yourself suggested. 

This is something I despise about discussing Toonami. Some people act like they are being physically assaulted when someone shares an OPINION that isn’t cheery and positive. Not every development for the block has to be praised, I think this is a shitty direction to take the block, which I’m entitled to feel, just as you are entitled to feel the direction is fine. And I won’t be pressured into not sharing that opinion either. 

Toonami’s direction is not hard to predict, especially when they start giving us details. We do, in fact know Unicorn Warriors is set for a Toonami encore, so that means the only slot I took liberties on was the midnight one, but if those are going to make their promised 2023 release, they need to make an appearance fairly soon. 

If a few weeks from now, a schedule drops on the Facebook page with an expansion or Unicorn Warriors is slotted at 2:30 and we get two new shows, I’ll gladly eat my crow and everyone can lay into me for being wrong about everything. But I have been watching Toonami long enough to be fairly confident in the prediction I laid out above being nearly, if not entirely accurate. 

20 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

This is something I despise about discussing Toonami. Some people act like they are being physically assaulted when someone shares an OPINION that isn’t cheery and positive. Not every development for the block has to be praised, I think this is a shitty direction to take the block, which I’m entitled to feel, just as you are entitled to feel the direction is fine. And I won’t be pressured into not sharing that opinion either. 

I never felt 'attack'. What I am saying is that you seemingly regurgitate the same opinions and never progress with them, regardless of the facts. 

This past year or so your sentiments expressed have seemed rather static. Yet we have had several big shows come to the block. They do not have much in the way of advanced advertisement before they premiere. There are already shows in the pipeline, and it is safe to assume that they have more ideas for acquisition from Sentai etc., these are the facts. 

What I think is disingenuous is when you say that it seems like Toonami is at an end, and the in the same vein say that it is not. Again, we all know that the block is not as good as it once was. This is not some new opinion. I wish we had more content and personally I do not like the western action as much as others. But constantly reiterating the same opinions over and over becomes meaningless.

Edited by atomicinumatt

1 hour ago, atomicinumatt said:

I never felt 'attack'. What I am saying is that you seemingly regurgitate the same opinions and never progress with them, regardless of the facts. 

This past year or so your sentiments expressed have seemed rather static. Yet we have had several big shows come to the block. They do not have much in the way of advanced advertisement before they premiere. There are already shows in the pipeline, and it is safe to assume that they have more ideas for acquisition from Sentai etc., these are the facts. 

What I think is disingenuous is when you say that it seems like Toonami is at an end, and the in the same vein say that it is not. Again, we all know that the block is not as good as it once was. This is not some new opinion. I wish we had more content and personally I do not like the western action as much as others. But constantly reiterating the same opinions over and over becomes meaningless.

I just looked at my own profile, my join date is October 2022. So since I started posting here, the only shows added to the lineup have been Made in Abyss S2, MHA S6, and Food Wars S5. I’m fairly certain I had a generally positive response to the first 2, and a “finally something” response to Food Wars. So right out of the gate, you are way off the mark on me being “static”. What I assume is happening is you hone in on negative opinions I have expressed (reruns, stalling, etc) and the ones that were middle of the road or positive flew over your head because they just blended in with everyone else’s. 

This particular topic isn’t even something you can really regurgitate opinions on, because turning the block into a waste bin for PG reruns is a brand new idea circa today, and I think it’s a shitty one. 

I don’t assume when it comes to Toonami anymore. It’s cool that Demarco asked for opinions on Sentai shows, but that is meaningless until we actually see results. I can’t count how many times I have seen Demarco fish for show opinions on twitter over the years, and just do nothing with what he is told. Demarco loves to say things are in the pipeline, but that doesn’t mean they actually are as again, we have seen many times. The only things that are facts as you say, is FLCL, Uzumaki (unless delayed again), and AoT. Anything beyond that is total speculation. And as I have shown above, the math simply is not there to work in any extra shows. You may not like the math, but it is based on the factual information we currently have. There can’t be surprise shows we don’t know about if there isn’t room to air them. 

If you are tuning into Toonami for the anime, it’s gonna feel pretty dead to that fanbase. That doesn’t mean that it’s gone from the Adult Swim schedule, but if it’s not airing the content you tune in for, and does not appear it will do so for a significant period of time, why tune in at all? Something can be dead and still exist. 

I have never advocated or demanded a return to Toonami’s glory days. Would I like that? Absolutely. But that’s not being realistic. All I have ever asked for is Toonami to do better, or at the very minimum, not get worse. Burning through its anime reserves so they can squeeze in a rerun is not what I consider doing better. 

1 hour ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I just looked at my own profile, my join date is October 2022. So since I started posting here, the only shows added to the lineup have been Made in Abyss S2, MHA S6, and Food Wars S5. I’m fairly certain I had a generally positive response to the first 2, and a “finally something” response to Food Wars. So right out of the gate, you are way off the mark on me being “static”. What I assume is happening is you hone in on negative opinions I have expressed (reruns, stalling, etc) and the ones that were middle of the road or positive flew over your head because they just blended in with everyone else’s. 

What I mean is that prior to any big pick up, I get the impression that you seem to think we are not going to get any acquisitions, the block is dead, etc., and maybe that seems like it would be the case because Toonami does not advertise what they are acquiring until shortly before it airs usually. It is your expectations that appear static to me.

Once they do get something new, of course you can be excited or dismayed. That is the type of discourse I am more interested in discussing. Like how I am not too excited with Unicorn and Adventures With Superman getting reran on Toonami. But it gets tiring here the same rewording of basically 'it's over guys'.

And of course, you are entitled to make the same blanket statements and sentiments that the block is dead or shitty, if that is what you want to say. But it gets really boring when it appears to be that over and over again. 

I don’t assume when it comes to Toonami anymore. It’s cool that Demarco asked for opinions on Sentai shows, but that is meaningless until we actually see results. I can’t count how many times I have seen Demarco fish for show opinions on twitter over the years, and just do nothing with what he is told. Demarco loves to say things are in the pipeline, but that doesn’t mean they actually are as again, we have seen many times. The only things that are facts as you say, is FLCL, Uzumaki (unless delayed again), and AoT. Anything beyond that is total speculation. And as I have shown above, the math simply is not there to work in any extra shows. You may not like the math, but it is based on the factual information we currently have. There can’t be surprise shows we don’t know about if there isn’t room to air them. 

You yourself have said that you take liberties and make assumptions in other post.

But again, that is not even what I meant specifically. I am not interested in trying to predict the exact schedule for the next weeks or months. I just used Sentai as an example avenue of potential content. The point was that they do not really give hints at what they are going to acquire, and yet we have already gotten shows like MiA, MHA and Food Wars. And yes, there are in fact things that are actually in the pipeline and not just speculation. 

My big thing about trying to do 'maths' on the schedule when there are a lot of unknowns is simply that. Lot's of unknowns and it is hard to nail down what the new acquisitions will be. And when a new acquisition is announced a few weeks or a month or so before it airs, it usually seems mostly out of the blue to me. 

Why predict where exactly lightning will strike instead of just staying out of the storm? If you are unhappy with the block and where you think it is going then do what you yourself suggested and take a hiatus. And I do not mean that in a shitty way either. You are the viewer and if you are not happy then why keep watching? 

If you are tuning into Toonami for the anime, it’s gonna feel pretty dead to that fanbase. That doesn’t mean that it’s gone from the Adult Swim schedule, but if it’s not airing the content you tune in for, and does not appear it will do so for a significant period of time, why tune in at all? Something can be dead and still exist. 

I am sure you already realize this, but some people tune in to watch Toonami as an integrated viewing experience. Don't viewers usually tune in the most for the first hour or so and then dwindle as the night grows later regardless of what the headliner is, except for an outlier or two?

I am sure that some are tuning in to see a show they never have, and have no other way of seeing it. But a lot seem to tune in because it is Toonami. At least it seems that way but I could be wrong. I feel that the vast majority watch all their favorite shows on streaming services. 

For myself, I tune in out of nostalgia and will watch the block from beginning to end and be on here in the boards participating in all the live discussions like it was back in the glory days.

Is that everyone, no. And like you said, I do not think it is feasible to go back to the glory days. Things always change. And I feel like a large part of people that do watch Toonami view their anime elsewhere like streaming services. I certainly do, every show that I anticipate I watch on a streaming service as it airs. I am sure that some people watch premiers on Toonami out of necessity or because they just want to but I think that most just watch Toonami for the viewing experience. 

That is why I continue to watch even though they air stuff that I do not like sometimes, and other times things that I down right hate haha like Naruto (Not trying to offend anyone!). But again, if you do not like it then why do you watch? 

Edited by atomicinumatt

13 minutes ago, Daos said:

The title sounds so.... childish. I don't see how this could be any good. What age is this thing aimed at?

To be honest, I had never heard of it until the announcement haha and I do not know much about it. I mean, Samurai Jack is decent and Primal is okay I guess but I am not really a huge Genndy fan, so I do not know a lot about his shows. 

From the description it seems okay but kind of generic, so I guess we will have to see. It premieres at mid night on a Thursday? I usually fall asleep around then on week days so I might just wait til it reruns on Toonami (hopefully at 230am to replace Primal haha that has had too many reruns already!)

EDIT OMG Wrong show lmao 

But no, I know nothing of this one either! I take it we do not know when it is airing yet?

Edited by atomicinumatt

2 hours ago, atomicinumatt said:

But no, I know nothing of this one either! I take it we do not know when it is airing yet?

One of the show staff said on Twitter they hoped to be able to share release dates soon, but did say this year. 

If it follows the footsteps of other AS projects, I’d assume they want to space releases out, rather than have it run on top of Unicorn Warriors. Or at the very least, not have them release so close together. Since right now they are going to have Royal Crackers and Unicorn Warriors premiering new episodes at the same time. So maybe June or July? 

9 hours ago, atomicinumatt said:

To be honest, I had never heard of it until the announcement haha and I do not know much about it. I mean, Samurai Jack is decent and Primal is okay I guess but I am not really a huge Genndy fan, so I do not know a lot about his shows. 

From the description it seems okay but kind of generic, so I guess we will have to see. It premieres at mid night on a Thursday? I usually fall asleep around then on week days so I might just wait til it reruns on Toonami (hopefully at 230am to replace Primal haha that has had too many reruns already!)

EDIT OMG Wrong show lmao 

I think everything you said does apply to My Adventures as well as Unicorn.

We've seen with the endless list of merchandise and viewing failures of shows like The Owl House (failure, cult audience, no one outside it, no merch), Amphibia, Dead End Paranormal Park, the double dose of fail that were the reboots of Voltron and She-Ra, that if you're not aiming for the broad kid audience, the adult audience, save a very small cult one, will likely ignore your work entirely because it does feel "kiddy".  Toonami is no stranger to this, like when they tried to air the 2011 Thundercats or Beware the Batman.  It was why the final season of Samurai Jack really leaned into the "this is adult, check out this blood!" angle.  

And I know that the argument from fans of Western animation is "a lot of the Japanese stuff is made for kids too!"  Yes, it is, but it has enough blood, violence, language, and sexuality to distract from that.  They hit the viewers with that content that makes people think it's more mature than it is, and I don't think either show has the ability, or in Genndy's case, the desire to go adult.  

2 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

didn't toonami boot boruto because it was attracting a younger crowd than they wanted?

wonder how they feel about this

That’s a good point. At that time, they weren’t shooting for that age demographic at all. But the way Oulween is talking about the future, they may end up significantly changing the demographic expectations for Toonami. I’m sure for now, everything is in a flexible, experimental phase. If these shows bomb because of porting them over to AS, then I doubt they will press forward with this and probably try the Acme Night model. But if they do good, would that reopen the door to Boruto? I certainly hope not, but the Shippuden finish line is within sight.

21 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

That’s a good point. At that time, they weren’t shooting for that age demographic at all. But the way Oulween is talking about the future, they may end up significantly changing the demographic expectations for Toonami. I’m sure for now, everything is in a flexible, experimental phase. If these shows bomb because of porting them over to AS, then I doubt they will press forward with this and probably try the Acme Night model. But if they do good, would that reopen the door to Boruto? I certainly hope not, but the Shippuden finish line is within sight.

I Just don't know how you can even air this on adultswim without seeming out of place....

this was originally intended for kids and their families....adultswim doesn't exactly like the idea of kids accidentally airing on adultswim when all the naughty content is on and if you make them accustomed to tuning into adultswim for this

then sooner or later they'll tune into something the parents don't want them seeing

When Michael O. was talking about how CN attracted more adults than kids I was thinking CN would gain more time and go for a broader audience in prime time but instead they taking Adult Swim broader and trying things other than raunchy comedies. There’s some potential there IMO because I love seeing adult targeted animation that isn’t just Family Guy and Rick & Morty clones. But this Superman series going to AS just feels like they’ve given up on CN making shows that aren’t for boys 6-11.

It really ought to be presented to tweens with any adult viewership as a bonus but instead they’re going to rely almost entirely on adult animation fans and we all know that’s not going to be enough to keep it in production. Though at least the first season will actually get promoted on AS whereas I had little faith CN would give it adequate attention.

The crew working on it feel it’s a dream come true for it to air on Toonami and I think that’s wonderful but I hope that dream doesn’t turn into a nightmare for them.

20 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

If it follows the footsteps of other AS projects, I’d assume they want to space releases out, rather than have it run on top of Unicorn Warriors. Or at the very least, not have them release so close together. Since right now they are going to have Royal Crackers and Unicorn Warriors premiering new episodes at the same time. So maybe June or July? 

I am hoping that the reruns that end up in Toonami will be replacing Primal because I am pretty tired of seeing it looped for the 230am slot haha so maybe have the 10 or whatever episodes of Unicorn fill that slot and then when those are done they go with reruns of this?

I assume they could always double up on both of them but as you said I also assume they want to space it out, and I really would not want two western action shows doubled up on the line up. 

6 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

I Just don't know how you can even air this on adultswim without seeming out of place....

this was originally intended for kids and their families....adultswim doesn't exactly like the idea of kids accidentally airing on adultswim when all the naughty content is on and if you make them accustomed to tuning into adultswim for this

then sooner or later they'll tune into something the parents don't want them seeing

This is what confuses me most about this idea. I can see why they don’t want a forth brand between Cartoonito, CN and AS, but we really need that hypothetical Adult Swim Jr for a few hours each night. Like 6-8. Acme Night was exactly that, just without the full commitment to making it an actual brand. A home for content thats a bit too tame for Adult Swim, but skewing a bit too old for CN. But instead, not only did they just make that time into AS, but they are also dumping the shows that feel like prime 7pm content, way down at midnight, possibly even later on Toonami. The potential tonal whiplash coming off family friendly Superman going into Yolo or Mr Pickles will be ridiculous. Now, going from Superman at 7pm into KotH at 8pm would feel a lot better. KotH has always served as a good transitional show from CN to AS. It’s an adult oriented show, but it accomplishes this by simply not being very entertaining to kids. 

I get that they have a big demo of 20 somethings watching CN, but I don’t think that’s going to translate to being able to throw kids show at midnight and having that same crowd turn out. 

Not much of a teaser but the animation is nice a fluid. I’m excited to see more. They say it’s coming this Summer. I’m guessing it will start right after UWE ends but there could be a little bit of overlap.

The real question is how many episodes it will be because if they only ordered 10-13 then that’s probably all that will ever be made. So I hope CN ordered 20 or more before this got redirected to AS.

22 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Am I the only one who gets a vibe it’s not gonna have that much action? Even the title implies it, this isn’t a Superman show. The main character is the girl, Superman is just supporting cast. 

I’m getting the vibes the ratings will be dogshit and discussion online will descend into arguments between terminally online weirdos on both sides, ones that love the show and want Lois to be a lesbian because they’re still ass-mad The Owl House flopped, the other hardcore Restore the SnyderVerse weirdos who consider this an affront to Henry Cavill.

And anime fans…will not watch.  It doesn’t fit the Toonami branding the way it is now.  And it honestly just makes me want to watch Superman TAS or Brave and the Bold.  I imagine that the action will be severely downplayed for slice of life stuff and other shenanigans, which might explain Zaslav dumping it to be done with it.

Edited by Jman

Ah yes obviously this one action moment is all the action you will get in any given episode and they could only give us this much action in the teaser because of it!

I will say it’s not a very exciting teaser but I’m not going to judge it on what… 15 seconds? Certainly could have been a better tease of whatever this is though.

4 hours ago, Jman said:

I’m getting the vibes the ratings will be dogshit and discussion online will descend into arguments between terminally online weirdos on both sides, ones that love the show and want Lois to be a lesbian because they’re still ass-mad The Owl House flopped, the other hardcore Restore the SnyderVerse weirdos who consider this an affront to Henry Cavill.

And anime fans…will not watch.  It doesn’t fit the Toonami branding the way it is now.  And it honestly just makes me want to watch Superman TAS or Brave and the Bold.  I imagine that the action will be severely downplayed for slice of life stuff and other shenanigans, which might explain Zaslav dumping it to be done with it.

A shame we will never actually know, at least for its Toonami run, since no one reports rerun numbers anymore. Best we can do I make assumptions based on how shows after it do, and really that only works when something does abysmal. 

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

Ah yes obviously this one action moment is all the action you will get in any given episode and they could only give us this much action in the teaser because of it!

I will say it’s not a very exciting teaser but I’m not going to judge it on what… 15 seconds? Certainly could have been a better tease of whatever this is though.

That’s not what I meant. I see this as one of those shows where we occasionally see Superman do Superman things, but then we pivot back to slice of life romcom stuff. The leaked episode script further supports it will be this way. 

A good thing to compare it with is Fena. The promotional material shows nothing but action, then the actual final product is boring romance dreck. 

4 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Even the title implies it, this isn’t a Superman show. The main character is the girl, Superman is just supporting cast. 

You mean Lois Lane, one of the best non-superpowered characters in DC Comics. 

Edited by Icarus27k

7 hours ago, Jman said:

First teaser.  

Meh.

I would say this is pretty classic Superman. The 15 seconds reminds me of Superman: The Animated Series. Would that show fit in on Toonami? Maybe, it could try. 

Tap into the comic fan audience and mix them in with the anime audience. 

47 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

The venn diagram of people who think Pickle Rick is the funniest thing on earth and the people who think She-Hulk is humanity's greatest sin is a fucking circle.

By that logic, this shit's gonna trigger the worst online discourse.

It’s enough to make people wish Toonami got something less radioactive, like friggin Shield Hero or Goblin Slayer.

1 hour ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

The venn diagram of people who think Pickle Rick is the funniest thing on earth and the people who think She-Hulk is humanity's greatest sin is a fucking circle.

By that logic, this shit's gonna trigger the worst online discourse.

And the really amusing thing is Pickle Rick was written by the woman who went on to do She-Hulk.

• Haha 1

anyone whose expecting An Action Show will probably be very disappointed

this is most likely going to be A Slice Of Life Series With Some Action(But nothing taking center-stage)where Lois Lane's Mishaps are the central focus

it's called "my adventures with superman" he's clearly not the main character and while again there will be some action i don't think it'll be enough to upstage Lois Lane's personal problems being the focal point

Edited by CountFrylock

50 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

anyone whose expecting An Action Show will probably be very disappointed

this is most likely going to be A Slice Of Life Series With Some Action(But nothing taking center-stage)where Lois Lane's Mishaps are the central focus

See, if that was the Silver Age you could have a bonkers comedy.

image.jpeg.005a1f559a89d29256ee343925484af4.jpeg

image.jpeg.7b1d769e015f9c08e6902f08ee17da7c.jpeg

image.jpeg.e926632054f7f6643190ea33a898bd97.jpeg

Instead we’re getting slice of life stuff.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Daos said:

Wow I have a lot of questions about that Titanman cover.

I looked it up. It was just a dream. Lame.

The Silver Age did that a lot.  To be fair, plenty were wacky enough you’d buy them in the covers alone.

image.jpeg.44c2448dc6bd03eec27ace142c954869.jpeg

image.jpeg.c8994f3b4f33895c440d32389238eba4.jpeg

image.jpeg.d931717da962d1bc4d0f19293d916feb.jpeg

Have I mentioned the Silver Age was insane?  This is by no means a negative.

Edited by Jman
  • Haha 2

On 4/6/2023 at 9:47 PM, Toonamiguy321 said:

I wish they got either of those because both are genuinely quality content. The twitter outrage for them is simply a bonus.

Shield Hero season 2 was a rather poor adaptation and if season 3 continues that trend then IMO Toonami dodged a bullet. And I’m speaking as someone who enjoyed season 1 enough to buy both Bluray sets.