UnevenEdge

Yup, finally: MHA S6 premieres this Saturday at midnight.

Blatch

Probably best not to assume anything but these delays certainly feel like interference from Sony. Maybe Toonami isn’t even allowed to run a promo or topicals but that would be next level petty. It might have been the case that season 6 was supposed to start last Saturday but there are other likely explanations for why the marathon got no promo, less than a week notice and no additional bumps. Such as Toonami trying to pivot to a Kevin Conroy tribute or simply being told not to waste effort on a marathon.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Jman said:

Sony must be pissed that this got through.  The goal is clearly to starve Toonami of anything worth a damn, but this is grandfathered in.

But of course it also means Dr. Stone, Fire Force, Black Clover, and even Dragon Ball Super have a chance...right???

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

But of course it also means Dr. Stone, Fire Force, Black Clover, and even Dragon Ball Super have a chance...right???

For now, we should just be happy that any Crunchyroll show at all was able to sneak on to the block. I don’t see this as a sign that AS is now best buds with CR, but instead AS pulled the wool of their eyes and snatched this while they were distracted. 

Knowing their mindset right now, I wouldn’t be surprised if they are already consulting their legal team on how they can make sure this doesn’t happen again. 

3 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

I swear I'm trying my hardest to get Endeavor killed but my curse keeps bouncing off his fat tits.

Spoiler

I'm gonna blame Horikoshi for most of what happens, but I'm just gonna let you know ahead of time that part of that blame's gonna be directed towards you. No hard feelings.

So yeah, one of the November Replacements (per my arbitrary decision) became the December Replacement. Whether this was the result of [as] going straight to TOHO for negotiations or Crunchyroll deciding to play ball after the high of sniffing their own farts post-merger wore off, it's good to see progress being made between the two companies regardless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

For now, we should just be happy that any Crunchyroll show at all was able to sneak on to the block. I don’t see this as a sign that AS is now best buds with CR, but instead AS pulled the wool of their eyes and snatched this while they were distracted. 

Knowing their mindset right now, I wouldn’t be surprised if they are already consulting their legal team on how they can make sure this doesn’t happen again. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

Interesting. Still though, not going to increase my hopes and expectations just yet until we see further evidence of CR changing their ways. “Believe” and “hope” mean nothing is for sure yet. And Demarco says right there, we will see. 

Looking at it from a more optimistic standpoint, let’s say CR really does change their ways. Will that only apply to shows Toonami has had a stake in in the past (MHA, Fire Force, Dr Stone etc) or would CR be more willing to crack open their entire catalog? Demarco did say a few years ago they were interested in things like Konosuba, so is that something that would be possible? 

And this is why I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself before we have a better gauge of where CR actually stands, because it may be raising expectations to an unattainable level. For now, I’m just glad we got something. If CR doesn’t change, well, that’s a problem for 6 months from now. 

Sentai and Viz are still at the table and it sounds like (barring hiccups) they aren’t flying at the seat of their pants going into 2023. But they’re so short-staffed that everything including the process or getting shows is slower.

I guess it’s time to start making “Gill Austin is killing Toonami” memes

• Thanks 2

I Doubt there will be any "Gill Austin is Killing Toonami Memes" since he doesn't really have much of a social media presence to speak of(Something Demarco Praises Him for)and because of that he's  a man whose opinions are unknown unlike Jason Demarco

so you can't make any jokes about him either....You'd need actual material for that  which there is none to speak of

not gonna have somebody with A Gill Austin Avatar with the entire online persona being that they cry about Gill all day everyday

so what i see happening is Demarco continues to be  the guy people like Toonamifan yell at because the real head of the toonami table cannot be reached online

Edited by CountFrylock

5 hours ago, Sketch said:

Sentai and Viz are still at the table and it sounds like (barring hiccups) they aren’t flying at the seat of their pants going into 2023. But they’re so short-staffed that everything including the process or getting shows is slower.

I kind of assumed something like this was the case in recent months. It’s not like Demarco has ever been 24/7 Toonami online, but recently he has seemed kind of distant from everything. 

Anyway, looking at Viz, I think we can all agree their eyes are on Bleach. Nothing else from Viz really seems like something they would go for. 

Sentai though? I can’t really make any type of guess at which show they may be looking at. MiA certainly wasn’t a show I expected from them either. There’s always the lingering S5 of Food Wars. Any other thoughts?

26 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I kind of assumed something like this was the case in recent months. It’s not like Demarco has ever been 24/7 Toonami online, but recently he has seemed kind of distant from everything. 

Anyway, looking at Viz, I think we can all agree their eyes are on Bleach. Nothing else from Viz really seems like something they would go for. 

Sentai though? I can’t really make any type of guess at which show they may be looking at. MiA certainly wasn’t a show I expected from them either. There’s always the lingering S5 of Food Wars. Any other thoughts?

Sentai has a ton of stuff I like such as Call of the Night, Dororo, LotGH, etc. Not saying that Toonami can get anything they want or anything like that, but there are still options. 

I was definitely expecting MiA S2 (and hoping for the movie). I would hope that if they get something from Sentai, that CotN would be something they would go after. It is so good. But with [as] I have learned to never get my hopes up haha 

1 hour ago, atomicinumatt said:

Sentai has a ton of stuff I like such as Call of the Night, Dororo, LotGH, etc. Not saying that Toonami can get anything they want or anything like that, but there are still options. 

I was definitely expecting MiA S2 (and hoping for the movie). I would hope that if they get something from Sentai, that CotN would be something they would go after. It is so good. But with [as] I have learned to never get my hopes up haha 

Oh definitely, if you told me to program the block with the Sentai catalog, I could have it taken care of in 10 minutes. But I was looking at it from a Toonami POV, and in recent years they have really struggled with giving anything a chance. That’s why I was surprised MiA made it on, because it’s way outside of their norm. That’s also why it’s difficult to pinpoint exactly what in their catalog they may be looking at. Are they looking for things that are hits like Danmachi? Or are they looking at things on the backlog request list like Ushio and Tora? Not really sure where they set the age cutoff these days besides “be in HD”. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, EmpressAngel said:

Air Princess Principal you cowards.

It was many years ago and likely no longer relevant with all the market shifts, but someone asked Sentai directly if they would put Princess Principal on Toonami, and they said they would if Toonami could be convinced to take it. 

A shame it never happened because it’s a great series, though I do fear the average viewer would be thrown for a loop with the first episode. Anyway, you never know, their offer may still stand if enough people request the show. 

On 11/29/2022 at 7:17 AM, Sketch said:

That makes sense, I guess.  But with Demarco giving "overall direction," he can still be blamed lol.  I haven't noticed a huge difference in the block, either.  This doesn't feel like HHH taking over for Vince.

And Asslav needs to stop firing people!  It's even affecting Toonami now!

On 11/29/2022 at 8:18 AM, CountFrylock said:

I Doubt there will be any "Gill Austin is Killing Toonami Memes" since he doesn't really have much of a social media presence to speak of(Something Demarco Praises Him for)and because of that he's  a man whose opinions are unknown unlike Jason Demarco

so you can't make any jokes about him either....You'd need actual material for that  which there is none to speak of

not gonna have somebody with A Gill Austin Avatar with the entire online persona being that they cry about Gill all day everyday

so what i see happening is Demarco continues to be  the guy people like Toonamifan yell at because the real head of the toonami table cannot be reached online

Gill has given a lot of opinions, actually, on Pre-Flight.  He had at least watched Fairy Tail, when Demarco hadn't, by that point!  But I'd have to go back and re-watch episodes to see what else he said.  If Gill really doesn't use social media that much, convention panels is probably another place to get opinions from him.  But, from what I can remember of Pre-Flight, he seemed a lot less out of touch than Demarco and more up to date and in tune on things.

But like I said, I've noticed any difference in the block, so Demarco must still be calling all the major shots.

Edited by ben0119

On 12/3/2022 at 10:39 PM, ben0119 said:

That makes sense, I guess.  But with Demarco giving "overall direction," he can still be blamed lol.  I haven't noticed a huge difference in the block, either.  This doesn't feel like HHH taking over for Vince.

And Asslav needs to stop firing people!  It's even affecting Toonami now!

Gill has given a lot of opinions, actually, on Pre-Flight.  He had at least watched Fairy Tail, when Demarco hadn't, by that point!  But I'd have to go back and re-watch episodes to see what else he said.  If Gill really doesn't use social media that much, convention panels is probably another place to get opinions from him.  But, from what I can remember of Pre-Flight, he seemed a lot less out of touch than Demarco and more up to date and in tune on things.

But like I said, I've noticed any difference in the block, so Demarco must still be calling all the major shots.

does toonami even do convention appearances anymore?....doesn't seem like it

25 minutes ago, Sketch said:

There’s a pretty obvious reason why they haven’t done a convention panel in person since 2019. Might be a while longer before they do another one.

True, but MomoCon 2022 DID happen at a time when things were MOSTLY back to normal. If the same holds true next year, they MIGHT make an appearance. Might just be Gill Austin and Steve Blum though.

The Adult Swim Festival earlier this year was in-person and it didn't contain any Toonami content at all, it seems. Not even a sneak peek of Housing Complex C...

Edited by OwlChemist81

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2022 at 1:14 PM, Sketch said:

There’s a pretty obvious reason why they haven’t done a convention panel in person since 2019. Might be a while longer before they do another one.

Well covid is mostly over with now (we hope.) But if they don't do any more appearances, then they don't have to answer questions from fans lol.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Well covid is mostly over with now (we hope.) But if they don't do any more appearances, then they don't have to answer questions from fans lol.

The problem with some of their later con appearances is they had absolutely zero to actually talk about. So we would get into this painful to watch cycle where they sit there and struggle to talk about nothing for an hour. Q&A could fill time, but most people asked the stupidest fucking questions imaginable, and the rare person to ask a thoughtful one got an empty runaround answer because Demarco can’t actually discuss the things people would actually care about. 

With the block in its current uncertain state, it’s probably for the best they aren’t doing cons anymore. We get more out of the occasional twitter thread anyway. 

• Like 1