UnevenEdge

MHA Marathon announced for November 26th

OwlChemist81

20221121_112806.jpg

This is the 2nd MHA Marathon to air on Toonami, dating all the way back to the first 13 episodes on Labor Day weekend in 2018. Incidentally, this marathon will contain the entire My Villain Academia 5-part mini-arc, and HOPEFULLY the long-awaited promo for MHA Season 6 played ad-nauseum throughout the night, IF Crunchymation gave it the green light for December 3rd. If it IS, it tracks with the other perennial mega-hit Attack On Titan, which debuted January 9th, 2022 on Crunchyroll but February 12th on Toonami. It also tracks fairly well with Season 5, which premiered as a simuldub in April 2021 on Crunchyroll but May 8, 2021 on Toonami...

...if that IS the case. But we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

Dammit Demarco, why the hell did we have to wait so long for this reveal? 

Honestly it feels like no one is in the drivers seat these days. Whoever is in charge of making the MiA promos does not work under Demarco. They just crank them out, and apparently were not informed that MiA wasn’t airing this week. 

If this doesn’t lead into S6 the following week the outrage will be unimaginable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So that MiA promo flat out lied, go figure.

This is exactly what I expected to air if they didn’t run a Kevin Conroy tribute.

They seem like they have season 6 but for whatever reason can’t say so directly. Why not just announce that along with this schedule? But I can see them saving that for a post on Wednesday or an on-air promo.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

Those of us who lived through the ACTN Dark Age know that [as] has been programmed by monkeys for years. This is neither new nor surprising.

For the first 8 or so years of the revival, they had the elite squad of monkeys in charge of Toonami. The ones that got the good bananas. There were never periods of confusion or want for clarification. They kept the fans informed of every change well ahead of time. It’s only in recent years that nearly every slight change to the schedule throws the entire block under a shroud of mystery until less than a week before it airs. Back in October is felt like a brief return to form when they announced all October plans at the start of the month, but that quickly faded. 

Everyone expected a MHA S5 marathon. It was by far the number one prediction, one people were making back when the rerun was first announced for only being 3 episodes. We didn’t need it hidden like this till 6 days before the block aired. 

At least back during ASA, they were pretty explicit that they didn’t give a shit about their anime block. It made it kind of funny when they would announce a show for a crap timeslot and immediately follow up that they expect it to do terrible. Now it feels like they just don’t care. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jman said:

Moribito will flop, but it’s going to air anyway -

It’s funny to see “web dub pirations” as a concern, in what I believe was 07-08. It wasn’t easy to pirate stuff back then, especially not in a quality worth watching. 

I do miss the era of AS tsundere anime block where they act like it’s an abhorrent waste of money and effort yet they continue to buy stuff for it anyway. I swear every other bump about DRRR! was about how terrible it’s ratings were and wishing they could cancel it. Yet they even aired the OVA episode after all that hemming and hawing

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

It’s funny to see “web dub pirations” as a concern, in what I believe was 07-08. It wasn’t easy to pirate stuff back then, especially not in a quality worth watching. 

I do miss the era of AS tsundere anime block where they act like it’s an abhorrent waste of money and effort yet they continue to buy stuff for it anyway. I swear every other bump about DRRR! was about how terrible it’s ratings were and wishing they could cancel it. Yet they even aired the OVA episode after all that hemming and hawing

Supposedly Aniplex gave them a real good deal on Durarara. I suspect Viz also gave them a good deal on Kekkaishi. No doubt they paid considerably more for FMA Brotherhood and in turn kept it for longer than 2 years.

Before those three pick ups ASA had quite a dead period between 2008 and 2010. Just new episodes of Bleach and the rest of Moribito once Code Geass R2 wrapped. The avoided Funimation for whatever reason after One Piece and DBZ were pulled from Toonami. 2009 and 2011 were both years when it looked like ASA wasn’t long for this world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sketch is right. January 2010 was probably [as] ACTN's lowest point when they had absolutely NO premieres for the entire month after a 2009 with only new episodes of Bleach, Code Geass R2, and Moribito, all shows which premiered in 2008 or before. At least the rest of 2010 had FMAB and Kekkaishi.

How does 2022 compare to that in terms of new series? Surprisingly similar with only Made In Abyss, Shenmue, and Housing Complex C. Much many more network premieres with a steady diet of at least 4 every week with the exception of a few event and marathon weeks like this one. But then again, all that was brand new in 2021 was SSSS Gridman, Yashahime, Fena, and Black Lotus, so 2022 wasn't THAT much of an outlier.

Edited by OwlChemist81

6 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

so no commercial whatsoever to promote the marathon on air before it even airs...

We still haven't had the PRIMAL marathon tonight. If there IS in fact an MHA Marathon promo, that's where I would air it. Would have been nice for it to show up last night during the R&M marathon, but it nor Smiling Friends don't "gel" as well with MHA as PRIMAL does.

It's also possible that Toonami's staff isn't off today and they in fact go into the office and knock it out.

Edited by OwlChemist81

It’s honestly kind of unnecessary to promote a marathon of reruns even if it’s MHA which will feasibly do better than a regular lineup.

The real question is did they make a bunch of additional bumpers for this marathon or will they mostly reuse the current ones? They had to at least make a bumper to say MHA is up next because they currently don’t have one of those.

Edited by Sketch

15 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

so no commercial whatsoever to promote the marathon on air before it even airs...

As much as they don’t want to admit it, they likely know as well as we do that very few people actually care about marathon nights. It’s wasted effort to promote it this late. 

Plus, the last on air info was MiA airing at 12:30. That might trick a few unsuspecting people who would normally skip to tune in for a slot or two before they realize they got duped. 

Now, the real concerning thing is it seems like the December 3 schedule isn’t going to get a promo tomorrow. So once again, we are left wondering if they have even secured anything for midnight. 

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

So that MiA promo flat out lied, go figure.

This is exactly what I expected to air if they didn’t run a Kevin Conroy tribute.

They seem like they have season 6 but for whatever reason can’t say so directly. Why not just announce that along with this schedule? But I can see them saving that for a post on Wednesday or an on-air promo.

Yeah, maybe they need to wait a certain number of weeks into the CR streaming ep premieres as part of the deal before they can make it public.

Similarly MiA S2 was apparently a good way through it's HIDIVE run before we got the announcement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/25/2022 at 7:35 PM, Toonamiguy321 said:

As much as they don’t want to admit it, they likely know as well as we do that very few people actually care about marathon nights. It’s wasted effort to promote it this late. 

Plus, the last on air info was MiA airing at 12:30. That might trick a few unsuspecting people who would normally skip to tune in for a slot or two before they realize they got duped. 

Now, the real concerning thing is it seems like the December 3 schedule isn’t going to get a promo tomorrow. So once again, we are left wondering if they have even secured anything for midnight. 

It doesn't "seem like that" unless nothing shows up at ~12:15 AM tonight! Toonami almost never debuts any promos outside of Toonami. You should know this!!

Edited by OwlChemist81

2 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

It doesn't "seem like that" unless nothing shows up at ~12:15 AM tonight! Toonami almost never debuts any promos outside of Toonami. You should know this!!

Toonami also almost never debuts a promo on the block itself, but rather on Facebook. You should know this!! 

13 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

And wasn't it already determined ratings aren't lower on Thanksgiving weekend?  

All delays except Christmas and New Years have been proven to be entirely pointless. It’s not about ratings anymore, it’s about stalling for time because whatever they are working on for midnight isn’t done.

On 11/21/2022 at 5:54 PM, PokeNirvash said:

Those of us who lived through the ACTN Dark Age know that [as] has been programmed by monkeys for years. This is neither new nor surprising.

The whole point of getting rid of the ACTN programmers was to get some competent programmers in the form of the Toonami crew.  That hasn't been the case for the last few years though.

On 11/25/2022 at 7:35 PM, Toonamiguy321 said:

They should promote it, so people wouldn't think new stuff is coming on and know not to watch it.  Ugh.

6 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

All delays except Christmas and New Years have been proven to be entirely pointless. It’s not about ratings anymore, it’s about stalling for time because whatever they are working on for midnight isn’t done.

But Demarco and co. know well ahead of time when shows will be finished airing.  Demarco even said we wouldn't have a repeat of what happened last year with not having shows lined up.  Yet they got caught with their pants down again.  So unprofessional and incompetent.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ben0119 said:
45 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

But Demarco and co. know well ahead of time when shows will be finished airing.  Demarco even said we wouldn't have a repeat of what happened last year with not having shows lined up.  Yet they got caught with their pants down again.  So unprofessional and incompetent.

Unfortunately, they can’t get out of their own way. They easily could have tapped Viz and Sentai for some easy, lower cost pickups, the singular tradeoff being they aren’t the top  shelf titles of the season. But instead, they would rather dump all their eggs into one basket and attempt to throw the basket at a very small chance to secure ONE of their former shonen mainstays. 

If we do land S6, that’s great. I’m not taking away from that fact, and it will do wonders for the midnight slot. But let’s not ignore the sacrifices required to secure that one show (if we even get it)

1. One hour of the block gone

2. Lost one premier slot

3. Months long stretch of schedule uncertainty 

4. Arguably some sacrifices earlier in the year, such as leading with Primal reruns for 20 weeks, were made to pay for a big ticket pickup. 

And I will reiterate, that’s if we even get the show. Because right now, the only thing confirmed for next weeks block is MiA airing at 12:30. And we all saw how quickly that promise went out the window earlier this week. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Toonami also almost never debuts a promo on the block itself, but rather on Facebook. You should know this!! 

You're half-right. They do show announcements on Facebook, but promos almost always air on Toonami or at least on [as] first.

Edited by OwlChemist81

They must be trying their darndest to secure either MHA or Bleach but clearly they should have done something else for the time being until they could actually make that happen.

Sacrifices in the middle of the year probably mainly came down to the budget freeze as opposed to just saving up for a big fish.

Still they did manage to maintain 5-6 cable premieres most of the year even with their hands tied and they’re not having to resort to triple YashaHime like last December. But admittedly they would have looked way worse over the Summer without Primal encores and I honestly don’t know what else they would have done at the time so they’re lucky they were allowed to air it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sketch said:

They must be trying their darndest to secure either MHA or Bleach but clearly they should have done something else for the time being until they could actually make that happen.

Sacrifices in the middle of the year probably mainly came down to the budget freeze as opposed to just saving up for a big fish.

Still they did manage to maintain 5-6 cable premieres most of the year even with their hands tied and they’re not having to resort to triple YashaHime like last December. But admittedly they would have looked way worse over the Summer without Primal encores and I honestly don’t know what else they would have done at the time so they’re lucky they were allowed to air it.

Yeah i agree...because as it stands

We just went through what was obviously a last minute marathon(there were no bumpers for the next episode after the credits...which makes it more apparent)that wasn't promoted aside from facebook so I'd imagine many people expected to see the regular lineup only to be smacked in the face with a marathon they had no idea about

• Like 1

On 11/26/2022 at 10:42 PM, Toonamiguy321 said:

You may actually be right. Not sure if this promo actually appeared on [as] first or not...

Can someone confirm it debuted on air?

Edited by OwlChemist81

2 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

You may actually be right. Not sure if this promo actually appeared on [as] first or not...

Can someone confirm it debuted on air?

I doubt they have the resources necessary to do topicals for 2 shows. Plus, they are kinda pointless now that they never air them outside of Toonami hours. 

I haven’t seen this promo air yet but I haven’t watched a full night of AS yesterday or tonight. 

On 11/26/2022 at 11:34 PM, Toonamiguy321 said:

Unfortunately, they can’t get out of their own way. They easily could have tapped Viz and Sentai for some easy, lower cost pickups, the singular tradeoff being they aren’t the top  shelf titles of the season. But instead, they would rather dump all their eggs into one basket and attempt to throw the basket at a very small chance to secure ONE of their former shonen mainstays. 

If we do land S6, that’s great. I’m not taking away from that fact, and it will do wonders for the midnight slot. But let’s not ignore the sacrifices required to secure that one show (if we even get it)

1. One hour of the block gone

2. Lost one premier slot

3. Months long stretch of schedule uncertainty 

4. Arguably some sacrifices earlier in the year, such as leading with Primal reruns for 20 weeks, were made to pay for a big ticket pickup. 

And I will reiterate, that’s if we even get the show. Because right now, the only thing confirmed for next weeks block is MiA airing at 12:30. And we all saw how quickly that promise went out the window earlier this week. 

They definitely should have gotten some easy shows from Viz and Sentai if they were having such a hard time getting higher end shows from elsewhere.  Yeah, that situation with the past schedule and no new shows was bad.  I do hope it wasn't just to get MHA.  I hope we can get some premiere slots back, and possibly go back to double One Piece too.

10 hours ago, ben0119 said:

They definitely should have gotten some easy shows from Viz and Sentai if they were having such a hard time getting higher end shows from elsewhere.  Yeah, that situation with the past schedule and no new shows was bad.  I do hope it wasn't just to get MHA.  I hope we can get some premiere slots back, and possibly go back to double One Piece too.

someone came up with a theory as to how toonami got MHA S6

the theory was that maybe sony realized they couldn't reach more people with the current approach....otherwise it wouldn't be on toonami

the block doesn't have the funds to just pay whatever price sony wants

4 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

someone came up with a theory as to how toonami got MHA S6

the theory was that maybe sony realized they couldn't reach more people with the current approach....otherwise it wouldn't be on toonami

the block doesn't have the funds to just pay whatever price sony wants

Maybe not any price, but with all the cuts and penny pinching this year, they may have been able to reach the new, higher price that seemed unreachable earlier in the year. They blew a huge wad in January out of necessity since the last 4 months of 2021 were such a drought, but after that they got much more conservative with their spending. 

Hopefully with a more compact block going into 2023, we will have a steady stream of content through the entire year. Once they handle Yashahime and MiA, it will be late spring before the schedule needs to change again. And we know AoT is coming, so that’s one slot taken care of already. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Hopefully with a more compact block going into 2023, we will have a steady stream of content through the entire year. Once they handle Yashahime and MiA, it will be late spring before the schedule needs to change again. And we know AoT is coming, so that’s one slot taken care of already. 

Aside from AoT, I am dreaming of them getting something like CSM for spring. Far reach but I do not think it is entirely out of the realm of possibility. 

• Like 1