UnevenEdge

What's on tap for the Midnight Hour on May 7th, and when will we know?

When will Toonami's midnight hour replacement(s) be announced?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think??

• This week (4/18-4/21/22)
    • This weekend (4/22-4/24/22)
    • Next week (4/25-4/28/22)
    • Later than that (4/29/22+)...

With Shenmue and AOT having their season/mid-season finales respectively on April 30th, Toonami needs new blood to join Lupin the 3rd Part 6, and QUICK!

So what will the Midnight Hour on May 7th be, and when will we know? Vote in the poll, and comment below!

Edited by OwlChemist81

4 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Or hope Demarco gets Dawn of the Deep Soul for a good price without S&P shutting him down.

Starting Toonami with that movie would definitely be bold. It would fill 2.5 hours by itself so that would be the best use for it. I had not considered them doing that to fill May 7th holes but I suppose they could do that.

I’m really thinking 12am should potentially go to Assassination Classroom if they don’t have anything on deck that’s more notable than Food Wars and YashaHime.

If they’re digging up more Sentai titles then I’d love to see Ushio & Tora. If Sentai has the broadcast rights to Vinland Saga (rather than Amazon) then that would be awesome for Toonami. But at this point one of my biggest hopes is the Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor dub that’s been in the works at Sentai Studios will air on Toonami.

Some more potential Sentai titles: Land of the Lustrous, Grimoire of Zero, Girls Last Tour, Revue Starlight, FLIP FLAPPERS, Princess Principal and Chaika: Coffin Princess. Yes all female lead shows, go figure.

Actually, if Sentai is dubbing The Executioner and Her Way of Life or I’m Giving Up Heroing (two different shows not one long light novel title) then either would be great dub premieres for Toonami.

And if Sony is willing to play ball there’s Megalobox 2: Nomad, Dynazenon and dare I suggest Mob Psycho 100 or Jujutsu Kaisen (both are maybe only slightly more likely than Demon Slayer returning). Akudama Drive would be great for the block.

• Like 4

I was thinking more of a 1AM start time for the MiA movie, but hey, as long as they air it, I'm content. If not, I'll just do the usual thing where I watch it super close to the wire before season 2 starts.

Kaiji on Toonami would be awesome, especially if they followed up both seasons with Tonegawa. All those shows are great.

The title's technically "I'm Quitting Heroing", but considering how the first three episodes haven't had anything that would trigger Turner/Warner Discovery S&P's banhammer much to my surprise (seriously, I was expecting at least one shot of bare boobs based on the character designs alone), I wouldn't mind seeing it on Toonami. Would definitely put my content rating clips in jeopardy though.

At this point, Mob 2 and its fellow sequels are desperate pipe dreams. Akudama Drive would be crazy though and I whole-heartedly welcome it.

• Like 1

Given that they had no trouble announcing the last two acquisitions, I think they'll add at least one new show on the 7th. They could still stall, though. We haven't any any DC animated movies in a decent amount of time, so I wouldn't mind another one of those. But I probably wouldn't watch it, if only because I never got around to any of my DVR recordings from late last year.

As for Sketch's post: boy, what I would give to have at least half of those shows on Toonami. I don't think Girls' Last Tour would be possible without Jason recomitting to their pledge to show more non-action shows, though, as it's rather philosophical. Also, wait at least a few months so I can make my ratings images, thanks.

On 4/29/2022 at 7:19 AM, CountFrylock said:

it's sad that the correct answer to this was....Nothing New and Primal S1 Reruns

which means everyone who took a guess was wrong

It makes me want to pull the tape out from the Cowboy Bebop master cassettes and flay Demarco with it.

• Haha 1

On 5/1/2022 at 3:06 AM, ben0119 said:

It makes me want to pull the tape out from the Cowboy Bebop master cassettes and flay Demarco with it.

not demarco's fault

it's either nobody wants to work with toonami anymore or The WM/Discovery Merger has resulted in an even smaller budget for toonami

that second one would explain why demarco has not tried to reassure people about the new schedule and has instead pretended like it wasn't even announced

now would be the perfect time to calm fans down but instead he merely talked about the conclusion of shenmue the animation and that's it....

Edited by CountFrylock

On 5/2/2022 at 10:11 AM, CountFrylock said:

not demarco's fault

it's either nobody wants to work with toonami anymore or The WM/Discovery Merger has resulted in an even smaller budget for toonami

that second one would explain why demarco has not tried to reassure people about the new schedule and has instead pretended like it wasn't even announced

now would be the perfect time to calm fans down but instead he merely talked about the conclusion of shenmue the animation and that's it....

Demarco is the boss and the buck stops with him.  It's his job and responsibility to get shows on the block.  And notice how when anything goes wrong or goes bad, it's not Demarco's fault according to him, not his department or out of his hands etc, but if praise is being lavished on Toonami for whatever it is, he is happy to accept it.

Maybe people don't want to work with Demarco because he publicly complained about Sony freezing them out of getting stuff.  That was unprofessional and extremely foolish.  You shouldn't air dirty laundry like that because it can jeopardize future business deals and not make others want to work with you, and certainly not the people you are actively complaining about.  Maybe people simply don't like Demarco and don't like how he behaves or carries himself.

There may be other, business reasons like competitors offering more money, streaming services not wanting to share, or licensors thinking Toonami is irrelevant and not worth doing business with, but the way Demarco acts certainly isn't helping.

Well, he recently made a somewhat "calming" tweet lol.

Yeah... calling out Sony was not a good idea. Not doing so might not have improved the situation but doing so assuredly didn't help.

DeMarco has never called the big shots at Adult Swim and now he's probably even less involved with the decisions pertaining Toonami outside of original productions but he does come off as a guy who will pass the blame when things go south and accept any praise lofted at Toonami. And he often rides a fine line between not trashing the management and not taking responsibility for mistakes until they are water under the bridge.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

There's a reason everyone makes fun of Demarco, and that would be it.

That and the FLCL fetish.

And the Bebop worship, but he couldn’t even convert that into mockery of the LA Bebop because Blum refused to shit on the show.  What’s the point of being loud if you can’t be loud when it counts?

Edited by Jman

7 hours ago, Jman said:

And the Bebop worship, but he couldn’t even convert that into mockery of the LA Bebop because Blum refused to shit on the show.  What’s the point of being loud if you can’t be loud when it counts?

They took some subtle jabs at Netflix Bebop in the marathon promo back in January. At least that’s how the dialogue read to some. But they didn’t go full Jake Long on it.

14 hours ago, Sketch said:

Yeah... calling out Sony was not a good idea. Not doing so might not have improved the situation but doing so assuredly didn't help.

DeMarco has never called the big shots at Adult Swim and now he's probably even less involved with the decisions pertaining Toonami outside of original productions but he does come off as a guy who will pass the blame when things go south and accept any praise lofted at Toonami. And he often rides a fine line between not trashing the management and not taking responsibility for mistakes until they are water under the bridge.

Famous example of this was after the 7 hour block didn’t work out in 2018, he put Lazzo on blast claiming that he told him it wouldn’t work but Lazzo really wanted to try it. But when it happened was all about it. 

Now granted, he’s a company man who has been with the company through several mergers  and has kept his job through it all- even moving up the company. Any programming decision they make, no matter how ill advised is usually supported by him until they are done away with 

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2022 at 6:43 AM, Sketch said:

I Think Once he started venting about Netflix acquiring Jojo Part 6 that Him calling out sony was inevitable

he's grown more and more frustrated over streaming services locking toonami out of so much content and i guess he just can't keep the anger to himself

• Confused 1

On 5/8/2022 at 8:23 AM, Jman said:

not sure if I'd call it a fetish but they do seem to love FLCL more than anyone else

i didn't see many people clamoring for more after FLCL Progressive and alternative

On 5/8/2022 at 8:59 PM, brianycpht said:

Famous example of this was after the 7 hour block didn’t work out in 2018, he put Lazzo on blast claiming that he told him it wouldn’t work but Lazzo really wanted to try it. But when it happened was all about it. 

Now granted, he’s a company man who has been with the company through several mergers  and has kept his job through it all- even moving up the company. Any programming decision they make, no matter how ill advised is usually supported by him until they are done away with 

Yep.  It is pretty funny how Demarco tries to act all progressive when he's just a corporate bullshitter.