UnevenEdge

Demon Slayer Mugen Train Arc episodes come to Funimation tomorrow; could it land on Toonami 1/29?

OwlChemist81

It wouldn't be a dub premiere if it did, but that's fine. Still, which time slot would it occupy? 12:30 is taken over by Shenmue starting February 5th so if it did show up there, it wouldn't be for long.

But at least it didn't end up in Netflix hell like JoJo, so at least there's a possibility of it showing up on Toonami at some point if not sooner!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EmpressAngel said:

Doesn't Black Lotus have like, three episodes left? Tossing Demon Slayer at the front of the block seems like an obvious choice.

With Shenume going to 12:30am, it’s all but assured Titan will get midnight. I think Demon Slayer will finally return when Titan ends and be the headliner in late Spring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So it would seem we aren’t getting a new addition on 1/29 so we can’t take that promise of a new show every week for a month or so verbatim. Granted, that schedule could change by next Thursday if they suddenly land a show. However, that would force an expansion if they intended to rerun Black Lotus. As it stands, Shenmue would drop a One Piece on February 5th and Black Lotus reruns would drop a Naruto on Feb 12th. Black Lotus makes way for Titan.

So probably no new show on 1/29 much less Demon Slayer but on the plus side, we get two weeks of double One Piece.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, EmpressAngel said:

"Departure" is literally just the title of the third episode of Made in Abyss. It looks like somebody just made a typo when filling out the schedule.

Yup. Reminds me of Hunter × Hunter. On top of that, One Piece is rated Y7FV, which also applies to this week's episodes... at least until they're fixed.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 3:41 PM, Sketch said:

With Shenume going to 12:30am, it’s all but assured Titan will get midnight. I think Demon Slayer will finally return when Titan ends and be the headliner in late Spring.

That's what I'm thinking.

Titan is a shoo-in for getting midnight back and don't know when but I fully expect Demon Slayer season 2 to still be coming to Toonami later.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2022 at 7:05 PM, Sketch said:

So it would seem we aren’t getting a new addition on 1/29 so we can’t take that promise of a new show every week for a month or so verbatim. Granted, that schedule could change by next Thursday if they suddenly land a show. However, that would force an expansion if they intended to rerun Black Lotus. As it stands, Shenmue would drop a One Piece on February 5th and Black Lotus reruns would drop a Naruto on Feb 12th. Black Lotus makes way for Titan.

So probably no new show on 1/29 much less Demon Slayer but on the plus side, we get two weeks of double One Piece.

Demarco broke another one of his promises?  I'm shocked!

I was hoping Shippuden and One Piece would run double episodes on a regular basis.  The faster we can rip the Shippuden bandaid off the better!  And well, I hear One Piece's pacing gets worse later on.  And regardless, there's over a 1000 episodes now.

5 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Demarco broke another one of his promises?  I'm shocked!

I was hoping Shippuden and One Piece would run double episodes on a regular basis.  The faster we can rip the Shippuden bandaid off the better!  And well, I hear One Piece's pacing gets worse later on.  And regardless, there's over a 1000 episodes now.

it is a little strange that they hyped up a new show to be on the block every week for a month or so but then 1/29 has nothing

4 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Also One Piece isn't "new" but a "return."  Demarco was full of it once again!

One Piece really seems like a show they picked up because options were limited and it would indefinitely hold down a time slot they wouldn't need to worry about rotating shows in and out for

hence why doubled up one piece seems to be a permanent fixture on the block moving forward

but the main reason one piece returned is because Toei still sees value in american cable tv and thinks it greatly benefits something like one piece

where as sony is busy telling toonami to piss off and get content somewhere else because catering to a block on cable tv does them no good when they can just keep all the new content exclusive to streaming

Maybe if we're lucky we'll see this season on Toonami in like May. Midnight replacement for AOT finale (which hasn't been announced either, btw, but it's probably safe to assume we're getting it to replace Blade Runner since Shenmue debuts at 12:30) seems like best bet to me, but if not, maybe sometime in 2023.

16 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Maybe if we're lucky we'll see this season on Toonami in like May. Midnight replacement for AOT finale (which hasn't been announced either, btw, but it's probably safe to assume we're getting it to replace Blade Runner since Shenmue debuts at 12:30) seems like best bet to me, but if not, maybe sometime in 2023.

demarco recently confirmed on twitter the price tag for season 2 was higher than they could afford so it's never airing on toonami unfortunately....

Sony sees demon slayer as this top tier premium series and if toonami wants it  they'll need to pay out the ass for it

that's money they just do not have

3 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

demarco recently confirmed on twitter the price tag for season 2 was higher than they could afford so it's never airing on toonami unfortunately....

Sony sees demon slayer as this top tier premium series and if toonami wants it  they'll need to pay out the ass for it

that's money they just do not have

You say that like the price won't ever go down, or Toonami won't have a higher budget in the future.

4 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

You say that like the price won't ever go down, or Toonami won't have a higher budget in the future.

what makes you so sure they'll have a higher budget in the future? 

nothing demarco has said lately makes any of this sound like a temporary problem....back in december people were speculating that toonami was waiting for the budget to reset and that we could be seeing plenty of new shows in 2022

however demon slayer and numerous other shows alongside it being denied(as well as the packaging budget being decreased)wasn't expected

demon slayer? sure you can say given it's massive box office success that sony denying toonami season 2 was inevitable but several other shows being denied...not so much

aside from Jujutsu Kaisen i can't really think of any shows that would be considered too popular and expensive for toonami but at the same time be something they'd be pursuing

22 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

I'm a firm believer in "never say never". I'm not saying it'll definitely happen eventually; just that anything is possible and I wouldn't jump to the most negative of conclusions knowing how things have gone in the past.

while i agree...Demarco has been a lot more open lately about how difficult and crappy the situation has become for toonami

from being super angry about netflix gobbling up whatever anime they view as hot and trendy at the time with "Fuck You Money!" to lamenting that times are changing and there's less money for bumps/events 

optimism is always appreciated but i don't see WM giving toonami a boosted budget out of nowhere...

Interesting that DeMarco singled out the packaging being affected by budget crunches. It feels like this has been the case for a while; seemingly every show gets new bumps when it premieres/airs a new season, and never again. I was really frustrated when AssClass S1 never got a refresh, even when other shows did. Then it happened again with Gridman, and seemingly every other show since. 😟

On the other hand, I'm negative at all about the fact that they'll have to air older stuff. Made in Abyss shows that the block can still pull out a winner every so often. If there was ever going to be a "prove it" moment for DeMarco and company to try and bring the balance of the block back to where it was in 2014-16 (and thus make it more palatable to fans like me), it's right now.

31 minutes ago, Blatch said:

Interesting that DeMarco singled out the packaging being affected by budget crunches. It feels like this has been the case for a while; seemingly every show gets new bumps when it premieres/airs a new season, and never again. I was really frustrated when AssClass S1 never got a refresh, even when other shows did. Then it happened again with Gridman, and seemingly every other show since. 😟

On the other hand, I'm negative at all about the fact that they'll have to air older stuff. Made in Abyss shows that the block can still pull out a winner every so often. If there was ever going to be a "prove it" moment for DeMarco and company to try and bring the balance of the block back to where it was in 2014-16 (and thus make it more palatable to fans like me), it's right now.

my problem is I'm not really sure a bunch of older shows will be able to sustain the block like they did in the early days of the toonami reboot

you still need some fresh mainstream power to carry the block as the originals can't be pumped out quick enough to act as the consistent lead show for toonami

also gotta remember demarco did say they'd be considering weirder titles they previously might not have aired on toonami because times are changing

weirder might not mean good but they'll take what they can get right now

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Confused 1