UnevenEdge

Why is everything so expensive

Vamped

Cute Cat Crying GIF - Cute Cat Crying Tears GIFs

I just want to find a place to live where I wont get shot checking the mail and the building isn't falling apart 

The maintenance dude "fixed" my bathroom sink by painting plaster around the pipe but now after a month, its dripping again. I guess they replaced the kitchen countertop before I moved in (maybe before that) they didn't measure it right, its all ill fitted and I can't use the dishwasher because the countertop doesn't allow it close all the way. I also can't use the kitchen drawers without opening the dishwasher door. I feel safe in the apartment atleast. Its in a nice neighborhood but the maintenance dudes are kinda creeping me out making comments about what's in my apartment and where we've been all day. 

.... its a mess

I also want my own washer/dryer 

Updated appliances .... or .... getting shot in the parkinglot

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, tsar4 said:

Check the dishwasher for adjustable feet.  They usually have them for balancing, so you might be able to lower the unit a turn on each or two.

But... she would have to pull the dishwasher out to do that, which most likely means lifting the countertop.

1 hour ago, DBAss said:

Move to the Midwest. Avoid big cities though like St. Louis or Chicago.

Much cheaper than living in many Northeastern states, or out along the west coast.

This sounds easier than I think it is 

I dunno if they offer reciprocity for my license. 

Sometimes I think I want to acquire a ranch and have some cows, a couple of chicken, exactly 3 sheep ... maybe a horse, a corgi, and an australian shepard

but thats alot of animals .... and I had 3 apple slices for dinner last night (not because I don't have food, that's all I felt like making for myself) 

I just imagine myself laying in the field with the cows and being overwhelmed (but not for too long because I dont like outside)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

But... she would have to pull the dishwasher out to do that, which most likely means lifting the countertop.

Not necessarily.  The door would be the one piece I would expect would catch on the countertop.  If it isn't closing correctly, I'd have to guess that it's stuck open because of the countertop.  The front, including the door is usually the tallest piece.  The area behind is a kind of plastic tub.

I had to pull out my Aunt's dishwasher when it stopped working, there really isn't much to them.  Just be sure that the circuit breaker is off when you do it.

6 minutes ago, tsar4 said:

Not necessarily.  The door would be the one piece I would expect would catch on the countertop.  If it isn't closing correctly, I'd have to guess that it's stuck open because of the countertop.  The front, including the door is usually the tallest piece.  The area behind is a kind of plastic tub.

I had to pull out my Aunt's dishwasher when it stopped working, there really isn't much to them.  Just be sure that the circuit breaker is off when you do it.

That sounds like something I can't do with my lease 

46 minutes ago, Vamped said:

That sounds like something I can't do with my lease 

It's an appliance, so i doubt you're forbidden from doing it.  If it's hardwired, you can't disconnect it without having an licensed electrician, but just moving it shouldn't be a problem.

If it makes you feel any better, I can't even open my dishwasher all the way, no clearance past the oven door.

And my complex "upgraded" their laundry facility recently, and now all the machines require an app to make payments. Fortunately for me, I don't have a mobile internet data plan, so I can no longer do laundry here and have to go down the street. =/

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

It's an appliance, so i doubt you're forbidden from doing it.  If it's hardwired, you can't disconnect it without having an licensed electrician, but just moving it shouldn't be a problem.

I was talking about turning off the circuit breaker. 

5 minutes ago, rpgamer said:

If it makes you feel any better, I can't even open my dishwasher all the way, no clearance past the oven door.

And my complex "upgraded" their laundry facility recently, and now all the machines require an app to make payments. Fortunately for me, I don't have a mobile internet data plan, so I can no longer do laundry here and have to go down the street. =/

How are you alive without mobile data?

What do you do?!!

Read newspapers?!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, scoobdog said:

I would hope your lease allows you to turn off breakers.

It does not. We can't mess with any of the breakers or the built in appliances ... which is all the appliances 

I can't even change the shower head .... which I really would like to 

Edited by Vamped

43 minutes ago, Vamped said:

How are you alive without mobile data?

What do you do?!!

Read newspapers?!

Why would I need to get on the internet if I'm not at home (or otherwise wifi accessible)?

Also I pay, like, $5 a month for the handful of minutes I might actually use, almost entirely work related.

I'm sure over the years this decision has saved me assloads of money with no significant downside.

2 minutes ago, rpgamer said:

Why would I need to get on the internet if I'm not at home (or otherwise wifi accessible)?

Also I pay, like, $5 a month for the handful of minutes I might actually use, almost entirely work related.

I'm sure over the years this decision has saved me assloads of money with no significant downside.

To look at corgis at work

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Vamped said:

To look at corgis at work

I can just get my coworkers hooked on corgi pics to see all the corgi pics. rpgamer probably has the same sort of potatofone I do - talk and text with no apps and it all costs like $6 a month. Some just don't need to have the world constantly shaking their butt pocket with news alerts from the FaceSpace. :D 

In North Dakota, you can buy old underground missile bunkers for fairly cheap because it costs more to demolish them than to turn them into underground homes. And I think all medical anythings are transferable right now. Too many deaths, not enough nurses. 

So if you want to tell all your friends that it's not winter until it's -50'F out at least once and be completely serious when saying that, come on down! 

1 hour ago, katt_goddess said:

I can just get my coworkers hooked on corgi pics to see all the corgi pics. rpgamer probably has the same sort of potatofone I do - talk and text with no apps and it all costs like $6 a month. Some just don't need to have the world constantly shaking their butt pocket with news alerts from the FaceSpace. :D 

In North Dakota, you can buy old underground missile bunkers for fairly cheap because it costs more to demolish them than to turn them into underground homes. And I think all medical anythings are transferable right now. Too many deaths, not enough nurses. 

So if you want to tell all your friends that it's not winter until it's -50'F out at least once and be completely serious when saying that, come on down! 

That's fine if you live in the middle of nowhere.

2 hours ago, Vamped said:

Since I'm posting pics of my hovel. Here's mah repaired sink 

Screenshot_20211209-183457_Gallery.jpg

I'm guessing whoever tried to repair the pop-up assembly didn't want to shuck out the >$20 for a new one, so they spent the equivalent amount or more on Flex Seal.

I fixed one in a little over an hour this summer, but I was dealing with trying to squeeze myself into an undersink cabinet to get at it (not as flexible as I used to be).  This should have taken around 15 minutes to do right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tsar4 said:

I'm guessing whoever tried to repair the pop-up assembly didn't want to shuck out the >$20 for a new one, so they spent the equivalent amount or more on Flex Seal.

I fixed one in a little over an hour this summer, but I was dealing with trying to squeeze myself into an undersink cabinet to get at it (not as flexible as I used to be).  This should have taken around 15 minutes to do right.

The sink was dripping when I first moved in so I submitted a work ticket. They just came in and twisted the hot water nozzle really tight which me and the miniature weren't able to do with our weak baby hands. Then the dripping started under the sink, called again. They just closed the ticket out, so it got worse to the point I had to use my bathroom trash can as a bucket to catch the water. I submitted another work ticket. They came up and said they had to order a part. Another month and it's dripping to the point I'm dumping water from overnight in the morning and it's flooding my apartment while I'm at work. That's when they finally came and "repaired" it. They left broken tile everywhere too so I had to clean all that up when I came home. 

It's bad. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, scoobdog said:

Just a thought, but there's a good chance the sink itself is cracked.  That's not a normal fix, even by shitty property management standards.

Its not dripping neatly into the bucket now. Its dripping along the walls when you run water. There's too many things wrong with this apartment. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vamped said:

Its not dripping neatly into the bucket now. Its dripping along the walls when you run water. There's too many things wrong with this apartment. 

Not that you need to be wasting time on this, but a good way to see where a crack is forming is to look at the bolts holding the sink to the wall.  That's usually what causes a wall mounted sink to crack, either from age, stresses on the sink (i.e. a former tenant sitting on the sink), or just over-torquing of the bolts themselves.  You should be able to see the cracks through the enamel.  Unfortunately, there is no way to repair a cracked sink:  you may have to completely forego the sink and use the tub faucet until they replace it.

Just now, scoobdog said:

Not that you need to be wasting time on this, but a good way to see where a crack is forming is to look at the bolts holding the sink to the wall.  That's usually what causes a wall mounted sink to crack, either from age, stresses on the sink (i.e. a former tenant sitting on the sink), or just over-torquing of the bolts themselves.  You should be able to see the cracks through the enamel.  Unfortunately, there is no way to repair a cracked sink:  you may have to completely forego the sink and use the tub faucet until they replace it.

1. The sink is supposed to have bolts? I've never really noticed any. There's just an outline around the sink and tile with the same material they painted around the bottom of the sink. (maybe I need to look at the bottom)

I doubt they're going to replace the sink ... but who knows they just changed management 

If you haven't already, you should start documenting everything and take pictures of all the damage.  I hope you took pics when you moved in, so that the mgmt doesn't try to claim you created the mess.

I suppose they might have needed to order the parts, if the originals were off-sized.  My folks had a double-wide mobile home and nothing in it was standard sized.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vamped said:

1. The sink is supposed to have bolts? I've never really noticed any. There's just an outline around the sink and tile with the same material they painted around the bottom of the sink. (maybe I need to look at the bottom)

I doubt they're going to replace the sink ... but who knows they just changed management 

If it's not on a pedestal, it's bolted to the wall.  The bolts are underneath and may be difficult to see, so don't hurt yourself contorting to see it.  You may be able to find the cracks just by using your fingers to feel "lines" of water along the back of the bowls and near the faucet.

I don't really know how your management company works, but they almost certainly have to replace a cracked sink because it will eventually structurally fail and fall off the wall.  Now, whether you want them to is another thing because management companies are notorious for blaming tenants for fixtures they didn't break.

32 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

If it's not on a pedestal, it's bolted to the wall.  The bolts are underneath and may be difficult to see, so don't hurt yourself contorting to see it.  You may be able to find the cracks just by using your fingers to feel "lines" of water along the back of the bowls and near the faucet.

I don't really know how your management company works, but they almost certainly have to replace a cracked sink because it will eventually structurally fail and fall off the wall.  Now, whether you want them to is another thing because management companies are notorious for blaming tenants for fixtures they didn't break.

I never expect to get my deposit back anyway. I lived in this same building like ... 8 or 9 years ago (under different management). I only moved out because I had to go down to part time to do my undergrad internship but that unit was much much better than this one. I got my deposit back from them then

So far the only thing I've done is somehow knock 3 of those long hanging blinds down. I was using the cord to move them back to open my balcony door and one just slid off. I think the miniature tried to peek outside and 2 more fell off. I dont even want to touch them because I'm sure more will fall. I need to though because they're dirty. They feel .... grimey 

and the sliding door to one of my closets came off the track so I just leaned against the wall in the hall so ... 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 1:44 PM, Vamped said:

Cute Cat Crying GIF - Cute Cat Crying Tears GIFs

I just want to find a place to live where I wont get shot checking the mail and the building isn't falling apart 

The maintenance dude "fixed" my bathroom sink by painting plaster around the pipe but now after a month, its dripping again. I guess they replaced the kitchen countertop before I moved in (maybe before that) they didn't measure it right, its all ill fitted and I can't use the dishwasher because the countertop doesn't allow it close all the way. I also can't use the kitchen drawers without opening the dishwasher door. I feel safe in the apartment atleast. Its in a nice neighborhood but the maintenance dudes are kinda creeping me out making comments about what's in my apartment and where we've been all day. 

.... its a mess

I also want my own washer/dryer 

Updated appliances .... or .... getting shot in the parkinglot

Portable Countertop Dishwasher, 5 Washing Programs, Built-in 3-Cups Water Tank, 3D Cyclone Spray, Fruit & Vegetable Cleaning with Basket, High Temperature, Air Drying - Lights, Faucet Adapter Included https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08C6GQKQW/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_H40HA6X9XKB7M1JAQD2W

INTERGREAT Portable Washing Machine Mini 17.6 Lbs Compact Washer Machine And Dryer Combo,Small Twin Tub Washer with Spin Cycle for Laundry, Camping, Apartments, Dorms, College Rooms, Rv’s (Grey)

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08RRTPJX2/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_Y3TG257GEJCMGTZ6G6PR