UnevenEdge

Demon Slayer S2 unlikely to air on toonami judging from a recent demarco tweet

CountFrylock

this raises a question "How Much does toonami need shows like demon slayer And MHA  how much do they need the mainstream super duper popular anime?"

because people have noted there's many cheap series toonami could pick up that would work perfectly on the block

but is that how they should operate...picking up cheaper lesser known shows?

if that's the case then do they lose anything if they are unable to air the super popular stuff anymore

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

this raises a question "How Much does toonami need shows like demon slayer And MHA  how much do they need the mainstream super duper popular anime?"

because people have noted there's many cheap series toonami could pick up that would work perfectly on the block

but is that how they should operate...picking up cheaper lesser known shows?

if that's the case then do they lose anything if they are unable to air the super popular stuff anymore

Eh, could still be just a coy response when negotiations are still ongoing...

Also, if that's the case except for their originals and Viz stuff Netflix didn't seem all that interested in like Yashahime and Naruto Shippuden, maybe they can get by airing horrid old crap from Central Park Media like Syfy did during the darkest days of Ani-Monday in like January 2010? Reign the Conqueror, anyone??

Or, there's always Boruto. Wonder if they can get back to the negotiation table for that?? Would be better than nothing!

Edited by OwlChemist81

I also really believe this tweet needs to be taken into context with the time of year that it is. The "freeze-out" may only be in effect for 2021 because Toonami is out of gas, but you gotta think they'll be refueled and ready to take a flamethrower to that beeyotch in 2022!!

Edited by OwlChemist81

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I also really believe this tweet needs to be taken into context with the time of year that it is. The "freeze-out" may only be in effect for 2021 because Toonami is out of gas, but you gotta think they'll be refueled and ready to take a flamethrower to that beeyotch in 2022!!

You Don't think Sony Jacked up the price on Demon Slayer after seeing mugen train's success?

1 hour ago, Jman said:

That or Netflix saw the massive ratings it got and decided to call dibs with its money ala JoJo.

Netflix isn’t getting the dub before FUNimation and Aniplex didn’t let them take the simulcast but they can easily outbid Toonami for the 2nd run rights.

But until the dub is announced for FUNimation’s service, it’s still possible Toonami could get first dibs on the dub if they have first right to refusal and they can afford it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

Netflix isn’t getting the dub before FUNimation and Aniplex didn’t let them take the simulcast but they can easily outbid Toonami for the 2nd run rights.

But until the dub is announced for FUNimation’s service, it’s still possible Toonami could get first dibs on the dub if they have first right to refusal and they can afford it.

still seems weird that demarco would comment about sony blocking them from getting demon slayer on twitter...wouldn't you say so?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

still seems weird that demarco would comment about sony blocking them from getting demon slayer on twitter...wouldn't you say so?

He’s either doing a crappy job trying to force their hand or basically giving up DS season 2 (at least for now).

Let’s try not to read too much into this one comment.

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

He’s either doing a crappy job trying to force their hand or basically giving up DS season 2 (at least for now).

I'd just like something positive to come out of demarco's twitter account lately regarding toonami...that's all

instead with this news I'm just hoping sony doesn't block toonami from more than just demon slayer

Edited by CountFrylock

Sony owns Crunchyroll and FUNi now, so pissing them off will substantially lower their potential options for licenses by a massive degree.  

“Don’t worry DeMarco, I guess we could always license you…High Guardian Spice!”

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Sketch said:

Exactly. The "Freeze-out" could refer only to how much money they were putting up for the TV rights while it is still 2021; in 2022 when the budget resets, it's possible the freeze-out ends because they're able to afford it again.

Another possibility I see is that it COULD have prevented episodes of Season 2 that recap the movie from airing earlier in 2021. It's not a coincidence that they've doubled up on new shows like MHA, Blade Runner, and Yashahime since November. If the original plan was to bring Demon Slayer Season 2 on in early November, which isn't that far-fetched since most of the dubbing (which was in the movie) is already done, then the tweet is in response to the frustration DeMarco felt by not being able to air Demon Slayer Season 2 earlier, not that Toonami will never air it. This is not the same as the admission of defeat that he made over losing JoJo.

I realize I'm probably being overly optimistic, but I hope I'm right. We've got what most likely will be the last "normal" lineup of 2021 this weekend, with 6 different shows, though 3 Yashahimes in one night is anything but normal. And of course this was probably caused in part by the Demon Slayer "Freeze-out"!

7 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Exactly. The "Freeze-out" could refer only to how much money they were putting up for the TV rights while it is still 2021; in 2022 when the budget resets, it's possible the freeze-out ends because they're able to afford it again.

Another possibility I see is that it COULD have prevented episodes of Season 2 that recap the movie from airing earlier in 2021. It's not a coincidence that they've doubled up on new shows like MHA, Blade Runner, and Yashahime since November. If the original plan was to bring Demon Slayer Season 2 on in early November, which isn't that far-fetched since most of the dubbing (which was in the movie) is already done, then the tweet is in response to the frustration DeMarco felt by not being able to air Demon Slayer Season 2 earlier, not that Toonami will never air it. This is not the same as the admission of defeat that he made over losing JoJo.

I realize I'm probably being overly optimistic, but I hope I'm right. We've got what most likely will be the last "normal" lineup of 2021 this weekend, with 6 different shows, though 3 Yashahimes in one night is anything but normal. And of course this was probably caused in part by the Demon Slayer "Freeze-out"!

but do you think toonami could afford it after the success of mugen train?

On 12/7/2021 at 9:13 AM, Top Gun said:

From what I've heard of it thus far we're not missing anything. 

How dare you, we're in love!

demon-slayer-movie.gif

I think y'all, once again, are reading too much into it. If the show was off the table entirely I don't think he would have phrased it like that. I'm sure season 2 does have a higher price tag, which is why we we're waiting for the budget to reset and may be why we haven't seen a lot of replacements lately. I don't know if they get to roll over any leftover money, but if they do I'd be surprised if they weren't saving it for Demon Slayer and possibly Bleach

• Like 2

On 12/8/2021 at 1:49 AM, Sketch said:

The “for now” part worries me. They have this tendency to continue to go after shows they can’t get and treat it like some Victory when they get it way after it’s relevant and their isn’t much of an audience for it

17 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

The “for now” part worries me. They have this tendency to continue to go after shows they can’t get and treat it like some Victory when they get it way after it’s relevant and their isn’t much of an audience for it

At least with Demon Slayer there's a pretty safe bet that it will be relevant for a while. But as I said previously more verbosely, I believe this is more an acknowledgement of the trouble they had not picking it up in 2021, which has led to at least double shows on every "normal" lineup since early October, than an admission of defeat for 2022.

8 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

At least with Demon Slayer there's a pretty safe bet that it will be relevant for a while. But as I said previously more verbosely, I believe this is more an acknowledgement of the trouble they had not picking it up in 2021, which has led to at least double shows on every "normal" lineup since early October, than an admission of defeat for 2022.

I just mean the audience that found the show through Toonami may not wait around for months for them to pick it up. Especially when it could be months (and won’t give much notice of a premiere date) 

I suppose that's true. But as far as I know, the dubs aren't available to stream yet. But this is really not that different from the first season. It streamed for 6 months before it finally got a dub premiere on Toonami! If they DO bring it to the block in January 2022, it will be half the time, and most of that will have been movie rehashes anyway.

Another possibility is he's not even referring to a current situation, but something that happened with the original acquisition in 2019. But I guess we'll probably never know for sure.

Edited by OwlChemist81

18 hours ago, Daos said:

Welp guys, it's come to this.

As joking as it may be, this reminds me of something I've wanted to bring up for a while: whatever happened to Toonami airing non-action anime? It seems like they aired Pop Team Epic, then either completely forgot about the plan or intentionally abandoned it. Were DeMarco and company just talking out of their asses back then?

I mean, I get that, but what I want to know is why they never picked out any other comedies. The way the Toonami crew explained it, PPTP was going to mark a grand new era of airing whatever types of animation they thought were good. But once it finished, they went back to the same old action anime. At this point, I'd be open to something like Date-A-Live airing, if only for variety.

1 hour ago, Blatch said:

I mean, I get that, but what I want to know is why they never picked out any other comedies. The way the Toonami crew explained it, PPTP was going to mark a grand new era of airing whatever types of animation they thought were good. But once it finished, they went back to the same old action anime. At this point, I'd be open to something like Date-A-Live airing, if only for variety.

Date a Live is unironically a better show than Yashahime or Food Wars.

Also Foodwars has tedious fanservice every single episode, so I guess he wasn't against it?

11 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I suppose that's true. But as far as I know, the dubs aren't available to stream yet. But this is really not that different from the first season. It streamed for 6 months before it finally got a dub premiere on Toonami! If they DO bring it to the block in January 2022, it will be half the time, and most of that will have been movie rehashes anyway.

Another possibility is he's not even referring to a current situation, but something that happened with the original acquisition in 2019. But I guess we'll probably never know for sure.

why would he mention it if it was something that happened back in 2019 and phrase it like it's happening now?

13 hours ago, Blatch said:

With the exception of Food Wars, which so far has been a block staple for 2-1/2 years now, I guess you're right...

...but Dr. Stone ain't exactly a traditional "action" show either.

Well, I listened to the Demon Slayer podcast where they cover this tweet, and it's quite interesting.

But one of the unintended effects of it is I discovered Peacock actually does stream anime, but I just checked for myself and most of it, including Megalobox, is subbed, and that's NOT Season 2: Nomad either.

Among the dubs, which there don't seem to be many, probably the most standout title they have that Toonami has never aired is Is It Wrong To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon? but they do also have Parasyte -The Maxim- dubbed and that's really cool. Oddly enough, they also have Food Wars Seasons 1 & 2, also a Sentai show, but it's subtitled. They don't seem to have much of a concept of choosing subbed or dubbed with their anime; everything is one or the other.

Edited by OwlChemist81

A very odd and unprofessional thing for Demarco to say.  What happened to them not being able to talk about deals until they were complete?  Also, pissing off the company you're trying to negotiate with isn't a good idea.

I remember people saying Sony buying Funimation wouldn't affect Funimation's relationship with Toonami, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Demarco mentioned Sony here and not Funimation.  So either Sony has gone over Funimation's heads on Demon Slayer specifically (possibly because of the dough it brings in,) or Toonami no longer negotiates with Funimation for shows, and negotiate with Sony directly, who possibly aren't as friendly of a partner. 

And now Sony bought Crunchyroll.  Not sure how that was able to pass anti-trust laws.  I really hate it when these buy outs and mergers happen sometimes.

Edited by ben0119

On 12/8/2021 at 12:49 AM, Sketch said:

But you have to admit Demarco airing the dirty laundry like this was pretty foolish.

On 12/9/2021 at 3:08 PM, Blatch said:

As joking as it may be, this reminds me of something I've wanted to bring up for a while: whatever happened to Toonami airing non-action anime? It seems like they aired Pop Team Epic, then either completely forgot about the plan or intentionally abandoned it. Were DeMarco and company just talking out of their asses back then?

HELLO!  Did you forget about fucking Food Wars that we've had to sit through for the past few years?  We never would have had to sit through that shit if not for the NON-ACTION SHOWS CAN AIR rule. 

I wouldn't really consider Assassination Classroom much of an action show either.

• 2 weeks later...