UnevenEdge

So, when the song says, "play that funky music til you die..."

nameraka

2 hours ago, GuyBeardmane said:

Alternatively, it was a command for the titular white boy to keep playing the funky music for the rest of his life.

So, the funky music is intended to provide some kind of gesture of racial reconciliation with the white boy serving as proxy for his entire ethnic group?

27 minutes ago, nameraka said:

So, the funky music is intended to provide some kind of gesture of racial reconciliation with the white boy serving as proxy for his entire ethnic group?

Definitely not. They were probably just surprised that white boys could make acceptable music at the time

• Like 1

When I was in middle school both me and this black kid thought a black guy sung that, and were arguing whether or not it said "play that funky music white boy," he thought it was "play that funky music, wah bwah" like just making sound effects, because he didn't believe a black person could get away with singing that in racist America back then "or he would be murdered."

Edited by NaBoats
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Vamped said:

Definitely not. They were probably just surprised that white boys could make acceptable music at the time

So I found some reaction videos of people discovering that Andy Gibb was a white guy and I think this is an incredibly accurate answer.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, GuyBeardmane said:

So I found some reaction videos of people discovering that Andy Gibb was a white guy and I think this is an incredibly accurate answer.

Lmao ok, I feel better now because I don't know what age I was when I learned that was a white guy singing, but it was...not very young.

5 hours ago, nameraka said:

Is this meant to indicate that the funky music is toxic and should be avoided, or is it intended to imply that proper deference to said funky music requires a lifelong commitment?

Asking for a friend. Thanks.

I always took the lyrical content as being encouragement to the player.