UnevenEdge

The Invent a New Letter of the Modern English Alphabet Thread

RedemptionZeni

37 minutes ago, RainyDayJizz#35 said:

I thought about having a letter for every sound so we can know how shit is spelled but abusing English feels like part of the fun of it.

The International Phonetic Alphabet IPA already exists although it's only used by linguists. 

English would have a lot of schwas if written that way. ə

6 hours ago, bnmjy said:

The International Phonetic Alphabet IPA already exists although it's only used by linguists. 

English would have a lot of schwas if written that way. ə

Oh neat, makes sense though. I like how vocaloids work after all potential sounds of a language are taught to them. Fucking SEGA man! At least I think SEGA pioneered the tech. Whatever their company mission statement is innovation has been a part of it from the beginning.

Edited by RainyDayJizz#35

33 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

ðɪs ɪz wɒt ˈraɪtɪŋ ɪn ði aɪ-piː-eɪ lʊks laɪk ænd aɪ ˈrɪəli θɪŋk ɪt ʃʊd teɪk ˈəʊvər æz ðə ˈdɒmɪnənt fɔːm ɒv lɪŋˈgwɪstɪk ˈraɪtɪŋ.

Just awful. It should only be used as it is now; to learn pronunciations of individual words in dialects of languages.

English spelling sucks, but it's nowhere near as cumbersome as Chinese characters. We are able to communicate easily through writing with other speakers of various English dialects, and one reason is that our spellings of words don't match the pronunciations. I think completely switching to IPA would further complicate things.

7 minutes ago, Sofa King Kule said:

So, who does this?  Maybe just some teenagers, doing it for kicks.  They like to think they're in charge and outsmarting the old folks.

So you'd wager is just some non-descript teens?

I wonder what they would be passing in code to baffle the masses.

4 minutes ago, BlackNoir said:

So you'd wager is just some non-descript teens?

I wonder what they would be passing in code to baffle the masses.

He’s Cy from one hour photo… just goes around taking random pictures… and hopefully someone will catch him up 

95BA364B-AF33-4E14-89BD-19650FAA1C69.jpeg

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, bnmjy said:

Just awful. It should only be used as it is now; to learn pronunciations of individual words in dialects of languages.

English spelling sucks, but it's nowhere near as cumbersome as Chinese characters. We are able to communicate easily through writing with other speakers of various English dialects, and one reason is that our spellings of words don't match the pronunciations. I think completely switching to IPA would further complicate things.

Chinese is a tonal language and can therefore do things like this-

3 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

Chinese is a tonal language and can therefore do things like this-

Ok . . . interesting, but pedantic. The fact of the matter is that the Chinese writing system requires memorization of thousands of characters. English only requires knowledge of 26, but of course in hundreds of combinations to produce its phonemes. Up until the third grade, about half the time in Chinese school is used to learn the writing system. The same is not true for English (or just about any other language, for that matter).

4 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

ˈoʊˈkeɪ kul. ði aɪ-pi-eɪ ɪz ˈoʊnli laɪk ˈtwɛnti sʌm ˈlɛtərz tu, ænd ɪts ɪnˈtaɪərli fəˈnɛtɪkli consistant. "ðə wɪnd blu ðə kɑr ɔf ðə ˈwaɪndɪŋ roʊd". si haʊ mʌʧ mɔr sɛns ðæt meɪks?

English IPA is more like 30 or 40 something letters (don't remember the exact number), but I do see your point. I'm just biased toward all of English's quirks, and I would be kinda saddened to see it drastically change.

I feel like such a nerd for being able to read that without looking anything up. 🙃

2 hours ago, SwimModSponges said:

Thats because it makes total sense and is easy and intuitive to read.

Perhaps. I also dabbled in IPA before, so . . . 

The symbols for th aren't intuituve for most people, I think.

Edited by bnmjy