UnevenEdge

//> deaf customers ./

//>wagz./

//> are the nicest and most patient customers , they dont expect me to know sign so when I'm waving my arms the happiness in their eyes is amazing to see them happy for communication does warm me heart a little , get a few old coworkers from fedex now and then who are deaf and come to my line and we shoot the shit silently , my managers come over try uh g to talk to them but they can't hear him so we look at each other and sign shit and have a quiet laugh ./

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, tsar4 said:

I attempted to convince the Communications Dean at my college to allow ASL as an alternative to a foreign language (mostly because I had deaf customers at my job).  I was denied.

Now it is allowed as an alternative.

//> it sucks companies dont take the time for Sign just write it all down , that's insensitive to the deaf and hard of hearing for not speaking their language , cant speak spanish and I do not try , awesome they support it now for ya ./

2 hours ago, //>wagz./ said:

//> it sucks companies dont take the time for Sign just write it all down , that's insensitive to the deaf and hard of hearing for not speaking their language , cant speak spanish and I do not try , awesome they support it now for ya ./

That was over *cough* decades ago.  I was kinda ticked off when I found out that it is now allowed (because it was a great idea THEY had).

I've never had any deaf CUSTOMERS, but when I was very new to my current job, I needed some help putting a wrist-strap on a handheld scanner, I just went to the person at the next station over for help. He happened to be deaf (didn't know that before I asked him for help), but he knew exactly what I needed and helped me out with no problem.

While I'm sure they do indeed appreciate your efforts, communicating with the deaf (especially if they speak your language) is NOTHING like communicating with someone who simply doesn't speak the language.

They adapt to it naturally, so body language and reading lips will help them understand you....And the majority can still talk...They aren't dumb (the literal definition), so you have no excuse for not understanding them.  Chick back home was born deaf.....Didn't prevent her from talking and she has less of a language barrier than if I'm trying to ask something of someone with one of those critically painful Southern drawls.

My hearing is going from constant abuse and I'm starting to enjoy not hearing some of the shit people have to say. If it's not important they won't clarify. Some old man walking by the other day commented about the number of Fords. Who fucking cares? All you wanted to do is make noise at me because you're lonely. Go fuck Henry Ford's bones and have a 4x4 tough day. Leave me the fuck alone with idle commentary.

On 11/6/2020 at 8:40 AM, //>wagz./ said:

//> are the nicest and most patient customers , they dont expect me to know sign so when I'm waving my arms the happiness in their eyes is amazing to see them happy for communication does warm me heart a little , get a few old coworkers from fedex now and then who are deaf and come to my line and we shoot the shit silently , my managers come over try uh g to talk to them but they can't hear him so we look at each other and sign shit and have a quiet laugh ./

We had an older guy the other day that wanted filters.  We had to literally yell at him.  He eventually got frustrated and left when he still couldn't hear us.

On 11/6/2020 at 8:40 AM, //>wagz./ said:

yea, the ones i've met were good people. they typically appreciate the effort you give to communicate since most don't bother. 

On 11/7/2020 at 1:20 AM, BlackNoir said:

While I'm sure they do indeed appreciate your efforts, communicating with the deaf (especially if they speak your language) is NOTHING like communicating with someone who simply doesn't speak the language.

They adapt to it naturally, so body language and reading lips will help them understand you....And the majority can still talk...They aren't dumb (the literal definition), so you have no excuse for not understanding them.  Chick back home was born deaf.....Didn't prevent her from talking and she has less of a language barrier than if I'm trying to ask something of someone with one of those critically painful Southern drawls.

//> trying to speak to a customer who only speaks mandarin is intense ./

On 11/7/2020 at 3:18 AM, RainyDayJizz#35 said:

My hearing is going from constant abuse and I'm starting to enjoy not hearing some of the shit people have to say. If it's not important they won't clarify. Some old man walking by the other day commented about the number of Fords. Who fucking cares? All you wanted to do is make noise at me because you're lonely. Go fuck Henry Ford's bones and have a 4x4 tough day. Leave me the fuck alone with idle commentary.

//> so many old people come in just to chat about shit , I am busy with customers i do not understand their thought process ./

On 11/7/2020 at 10:44 AM, Sieg67 said:

We had an older guy the other day that wanted filters.  We had to literally yell at him.  He eventually got frustrated and left when he still couldn't hear us.

//> just write it down. have a sign that's says hearing impaired in brail for them to point at ./

On 11/6/2020 at 7:16 PM, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

I've never had any deaf CUSTOMERS, but when I was very new to my current job, I needed some help putting a wrist-strap on a handheld scanner, I just went to the person at the next station over for help. He happened to be deaf (didn't know that before I asked him for help), but he knew exactly what I needed and helped me out with no problem.

//> that's a very fedex thing of you to say ./