UnevenEdge

toonami announcements will be made July 25th on the adult swim virtual convention

Been years since I even visited the old Adult Swim website. Hope they don't charge money for their virtual con like some have. At the same time unless they use something like Twitch to host the stream I doubt it will go on without a hitch. More than likely there will be lag out the ass and 80% of the people will be in a virtual que waiting to get access. God help those who get booted or lose connection and get sent back in the Que. Just like a real con! 

Though really that shit happened with me when I was watching Joe Bob on Shudder. Was fucking livid after finally waiting hours to get in I got booted from the server back into the que. The site was booting people who were inactive for over 30 mins. Thing is when you are watching  a movie you tend not to move your mouse much. So I got booted multiple times before I figured that out. Then every 15 mins I was shaking the mouse so I wouldn't get booted by the server. It was a 24hr marathon. So I couldn't even doze or I'd have been booted back to the que. 

• Like 1

LOW HANGING FRUIT:
Fire Force Season 2
Return of JoJo Part 5
Mob Psycho 100 Season 2
Food Wars Season 3

ON THE HORIZON:
Sword Art Online: Alicization - War Of Underworld Part 2
Attack On Titan Final Season
Uzumaki

AND BEYOND:
Blade Runner: Black Lotus
MHA Season 5
???????

• Like 2

I can't verify this because I missed the panel but a handful of people who saw the SAO Alicization panel during Aniplex Online Fest this morning said they heard SAO's dub would return in August. I don't know if that means they'll resume dubbing in August (more likely) or it will air in August.

Here's one tweet.

• Like 3

Ah, missed it too but I could see August, I was thinking Fall for Toonami after seeing the subbed trailer go up today so August would be nice and quick.

Trailer spoiler:

Spoiler

The harem praying for Kirito to wake up and save them as expected...sigh.

Nice trailer music and animation as expected from the production.

Edited by DangerMouse

DeMarco made a huge mistake by wearing a T-shirt on the stream saying "Fuck Racism".

1. It got blurred. He likely didn't predict it would be blurred, but given how this is supposed to be a substitute for a real convention, would you ever think to wear that kind of thing in person?

2. This puts him in hot water when organizations think to invite him as a guest in a future convention too. He really should apologize as it's now all over the internet.

3. It offers a ripe excuse for haters of Toonami to further smear their reputation.

4. What does that even mean?? "I am over racism, because racism shouldn't exist"? "I hate racism because I don't wanna see arguments in the news"??

Edited by elfie
  • D'oh 3

I won't be surprised if this is one of the shows The World Ends with You The Animation | Official Trailer - YouTube

Spoiler

(then again this series has a gay character who isn't a rapist and isn't drawn like a nightmare demon so Toonami may not be interested)
Joshua character concept art from The World Ends with You: Final ...

Edited by mochi
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, elfie said:

Couldn't get into the game. The designs are a bit too angular for me.

I've never played it, I just know the characters appear in a kingdom hearts game and Joshua basically straight up tells Riku he thinks he's gay and in love with Sora

English KH3D Screens from SE France! | Kingdom Hearts Insider

I must admit despite the crazy news updates from virtual cons put on by Anime Expo, Funimation, AND Aniplex, Toonami has done a pretty good job of keeping its future plans under wraps.

Granted, it would seem it does so at it's own detriment, because it could really use a Fire Force or a JoJo right now.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 1:25 PM, Sketch said:

I can't verify this because I missed the panel but a handful of people who saw the SAO Alicization panel during Aniplex Online Fest this morning said they heard SAO's dub would return in August. I don't know if that means they'll resume dubbing in August (more likely) or it will air in August.

Here's one tweet.

Aniplex posted the SAO panel on YouTube. This is what was said.

1B123D66-9DD7-4BAE-BA67-6488BD3E2A78.png

8AB8C32D-5C72-43BC-95C1-AF4EC173D749.png

7952ECFB-8426-4852-AFE2-FC879AF5F9FA.png

9CCC7B13-9EDA-4CEF-B43B-D7D0074402BC.png

• Like 3

I was going to make a thread for the SAO panel, but since you already talked about it here, I'll just put my post here -

In my subscription notifications I discovered that Aniplex did some panels.

I watched the one for War of Underworld Part 2/Final Season.

I wished they didn't use that urgent action music lol. It makes me feel anxious.

I converted the 187 cm to 6'1! That director, Manabu Ono, is tall for a Japanese guy!

According to Ai Kayano, Alice's VA, people at overseas events chant SAO like madmen.

Alice actually appeared in SAO videogames before she did in the anime, and this girl played her there first and was kept for the anime. Interesting. I didn't know that.

Sometimes events are rearranged to fit the flow of the episodes. Or things are cut for time constraints. I suppose we could already surmise this.

As we already knew, Reki is quite involved with the process. But he has actually made the call to have some things happen differently in the anime so people who read the books will still have surprises.

They tried to make the worm spell head mage bitch casts be as unsettling as possible. I'd say they succeeded.

They confirmed it is indeed Eugeo's hand who pushes Eldrie to keep going. GHOST Eugeo confirmed? So this means cyber AI ghosts are a thing?

They didn't say why the director changed from the first 2 seasons and movie to Alicization, but the director said since the setting and tone was changing, along with a lot of new characters, he could be mindful of the past seasons as well as making his own mark. Honestly I haven't noticed much difference in style to from Alicization and War of Underworld compared to the first 2 seasons.

They will actually try to match expressions and mouth movements to how the VAs perform. Not sure if this is standard or not. But, it goes to show you how the dub VAs have to almost do some reverse engineering for their performance, and if not doing a performance that sounds like the Japanese VA, at least do something that fits the character.

Matsuoka - the VA for Kirito, his favorite character is Lisbeth. Come on, dude.

They had Ai Kayano do some readings of Alice's lines. I have to say, wow, what a transformation.

Wow, a surprise video message from Bryce Papenbrook. Yeah, hopefully Kirito will have more to do in these next episodes dude, LOL.

Kayano has met Bryce at a panel in L.A. that had at least herself, Bryce, and Cherami Leigh at it. I didn't think it was that common to mix Japanese and English VAs at panels together. I want to see this panel if there is video of it available.

Oh wow another message, this one is from Kayli Mills, Alice's English VA. She's cute. Also her real voice is nothing like Alice's either. She is a longtime fan of SAO and watched it since high school. Wow. She wants Alice, Asuna, Sinon, and Leafa to team up. Hopefully that happens.

Oh hey, they just said the English dub version will begin streaming in August. Don't know if that means it won't be on Toonami this time, which would be surprising. It could air on Toonami and then be streaming on the Adult Swim site and elsewhere soon afterwards and that could still technically be true. Either way, that is a very fast turnaround for the dub, just as I said it would be!

The Japanese actors had a hard time saying Alice Synthesis Thirty, Central Cathedral and other technical terms in English Reki was not thinking about when he wrote it lmao.

They talk about a new videogame that's coming out. I never played any of the games since usually games based on anime aren't that great. Anyone ever play them? Besides, I never liked licorice anyway...

They... made a music streaming service specifically for SAO music.

And they finish with a new trailer!

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 8:11 PM, DangerMouse said:

Ah, missed it too but I could see August, I was thinking Fall for Toonami after seeing the subbed trailer go up today so August would be nice and quick.

Trailer spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

The harem praying for Kirito to wake up and save them as expected...sigh.

Nice trailer music and animation as expected from the production.

Is it really spoilers to discuss what's in a trailer?

Spoiler

Who says they need Kirito to save them?  He will probably be needed regardless to help take care of the bad guys.  Either way, Kirito is being awoken by a waifu spirit bomb lmao.

And it looks like the animation has gone into even more crazy overdrive than before!

19 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Or, and I know this interpretation is totally bonkers here, maybe it just means "Fuck racism" and doesn't have hidden additional selfish meaning?

Sure, but you know that Demarco is a fake-ass corporate shill, right?  He rants about mega-conglomerates and corporations, but is paid handsomely doing his dream job working for one, and constantly bullshits and gives false promises about what his network and block have done or will do (I'm talking pre-covid.)  He's full of shit, so wearing a shirt like that doesn't mean much coming from him.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mochi said:

I've never played it, I just know the characters appear in a kingdom hearts game and Joshua basically straight up tells Riku he thinks he's gay and in love with Sora

English KH3D Screens from SE France! | Kingdom Hearts Insider

... are the characters in The World Ends With You canon to Final Fantasy?

20 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I must admit despite the crazy news updates from virtual cons put on by Anime Expo, Funimation, AND Aniplex, Toonami has done a pretty good job of keeping its future plans under wraps.

Granted, it would seem it does so at it's own detriment, because it could really use a Fire Force or a JoJo right now.

They likely all occurred at a time where Toonami has literally nothing new to announce right now.

Which is damning when you compare to how 3 major anime companies all have multiple news to announce over one weekend, but a cable block can't even do that for like 4 months.

3 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Sure, but you know that Demarco is a fake-ass corporate shill, right?  He rants about mega-conglomerates and corporations, but is paid handsomely doing his dream job working for one, and constantly bullshits and gives false promises about what his network and block have done or will do (I'm talking pre-covid.)  He's full of shit, so wearing a shirt like that doesn't mean much coming from him.

It's a larger problem echoed in Adult Swim which is run BY a corporate network disguised as an indie, grassroots, anti-conversative movement that goes against the grain of every other corporate network.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, elfie said:

It's a larger problem echoed in Adult Swim which is run BY a corporate network disguised as an indie, grassroots, anti-conversative movement that goes against the grain of every other corporate network.

Last I checked, Turner/their parent company was in charge of [as], not CNN.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ben0119 said:

He works for a TV station, not Burning Crosses Supplies Mart. I don't stalk the man across social media looking for things to complain about in his posts, so I have no idea how "hates racism" and "inconsistent about his mediocre cartoon block" are completely opposite, incompatible traits that a person can have.

• Like 2

I asked my friend who speaks Japanese if what was said at the panel did translate to “streaming” and he said it translated to “delivered” as in the dub will begin delivery in August.

At any rate, it seems Aniplex intends to dub this season ASAP.

As for Jason and Adult Swim/WarnerMedia, some conglomerates are more progressive than others but at the end of the day they don’t want to turn off any consumer or potential consumer. Both Anime Expo and Warner Media would not allow a shirt that says fuck racism to be seen on video message but such a shirt could probably be worn at the office of Adult Swim. I doubt Jason would ever wear that shirt during Toonami Pre-Flight even though they say fuck on those from time to time.

You can certainly work for a big conglomerate and still be anti-racism, anti-sexism, anti-classism, anti-big merger or even anti-capitalism. You definitely can work for a huge corporation and be anti-Trump or anti-GOP. I’m a conservative person by my values but I think the GOP regularly fucks America over and some very wealthy Democrats do as well so I’m basically anti-rich at this point.

Warner is getting just about as bad as Disney with regards to swallowing up the industry and there are ramifications to that, mainly job loss. Is it hypocritical to work for Warner or Disney if you purport to be anti-big conglomerate? I suppose, but you don’t have to like everything your employer does in order to be happy to work there. Especially if your employer isn’t doing anything heinous.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, ben0119 said:

They talk about a new videogame that's coming out. I never played any of the games since usually games based on anime aren't that great. Anyone ever play them? Besides, I never liked licorice anyway...

What little I played of the Fatal Bullet one was decent.

The new one looks like a good upgrade from the past games though, at least visually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLMZYQHygNs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl5ElmrX99Y

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Is it really spoilers to discuss what's in a trailer?

Reveal hidden contents

Who says they need Kirito to save them?  He will probably be needed regardless to help take care of the bad guys.  Either way, Kirito is being awoken by a waifu spirit bomb lmao.

And it looks like the animation has gone into even more crazy overdrive than before!

Probably right, but I never know anymore and accidentally spoil sometimes so this time I thought of it before posting and went extra safe since this wasn't really the SAO thread so I guess I wasn't assuming the trailer was watched lol.

Spoiler

What do you mean who? lol. All of them are saying they need him to wake up and save them since the whole trailer portrays they're up against the wall and praying for him to come back and save the day.

LOL yeah awoken by a harem bomb lol.

Yeah the show is a mixed bag but always at least gets good animation, easily the best part of it.

Edited by DangerMouse

Anyway -

SAO and Fire Force S2 are pretty much guarantees.

Uzumaki is probably coming Halloween time I bet.

Production IG has a new co-production (not a sequel to a previous thing they did) with no set release date.

That’s still a fairly anemic lineup.  If I’m DeMarco, and I’m not, I ask for God of High School.  I mean, GenLock got over, and that looked visually meh (please let Season 2 improve the animation), plus Netflix consistently does well with anime in the mold of Best of the Best and other MMA tournament shows.

Luckily DeMarco hates Avatar knockoffs, otherwise we might end up with Onyx Equinox.

Edited by Jman

10 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Kengan Ashura on Toonami would be an experience. Kengan plus Dumbbells, even moreso.

Kengan’s a Netflix exclusive, so that’s right out.

Kind of expecting them to license Dumbbells between seasons TBH.

3 hours ago, Ginguy said:

What manner of sorcery is involved with that....

It’s the 80’s, we thought martial arts tournaments held in bars really did decide the best in the world.

Netflix knows it works.

image.jpeg.2b079043d27a1975fda8387f0a3fa462.jpeg

Toonami could easily follow suit.

Edited by Jman

The first episode of God of High School was pretty dope. It left a stronger first impression than Tower of God to be sure (by having a much more visually interesting battle royale).

I'm all for Toonami airing it. Unfortunately I don't think the company that charged its own streaming service 425 million dollars to be able to stream Friends is just going to throw Toonami a bone. I don't really know what happened with gen:LOCK but I get the feeling God of High School won't be as affordable. At least not any time soon.

IIRC gen:Lock was a publicity play, since putting it behind the Rooster Teeth paywall crippled its ability to get an audience (and pay for those A list actors).  God of High School probably won’t have that problem.

This is all hypothetical, given Netflix’s massive success with underground MMA anime.  (It bears repeating, Baki was in their top 10 for the entire country, something Voltron, She-Ra, Dragon Prince, etc couldn’t pull off).  God of High School fits that requirement to a T.

Edited by Jman