UnevenEdge

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Ultimate Edition coming to Blu-Ray in 2021

11 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

They have put out ultimate collections before which have had both dubs. DBZ for example had both funimation and ocean. 

Really? I don't know how that's physically possible for DBZ (the Ocean cuts like 15 episodes worth of material) unless they were on separate discs like how it was done for Escaflowne (TV-cut Ocean dub on DVD, Director's Cut Funi dub on Blu-ray).

Edited by MasqueradeOverture

7 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Really? I don't know how that's physically possible for DBZ (the Ocean cuts like 15 episodes worth of material) unless they were on separate discs like how it was done for Escaflowne (TV-cut Ocean dub on DVD, Director's Cut Funi dub on Blu-ray).

It's UK so hard for me to say. I don't have a player for that region to test it out and was more going on what other people were saying about past releases through them having multiple english dubs. I hope they do a release for our region though. 

I probably won't bother with this if it doesn't have the ADV dub.  I'm not particularly interested in the netflix dub, though if this does have both I may watch it out of sheer curiosity.

On another note, I'm glad it will have End of Evangelion.  I have the slimpack platinum edition boxset but I wasn't able to find End of Evangelion before the price jumped wildly.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2020 at 9:11 PM, mochi said:

if it's the Homophobic censored netflix version it can go fuck itself >_>

what was censored?

I've only watched the first two episodes so far. The re-dub/translation does seem pretty unnecessary from what I watched.

9 hours ago, Ric said:

what was censored?

I've only watched the first two episodes so far. The re-dub/translation does seem pretty unnecessary from what I watched.

They didn’t censor a thing.  Mochi’s just mad the translation is less gay.  

What they did do was make the translation ultra literal.  Hilariously so.  Studio Khara ensured that every line was translated with the accuracy and stiltedness of an Internet Japanese to English translation.  That included getting rid of certain lines English dubbers translated to make them seem homoerotic (but vague) to eliminate all that ambiguity.

Nothing was edited or censored, the dialogue was just translated in the most rote, literal way possible.

Edited by Jman

11 hours ago, Ric said:

what was censored?

it claims Kaworu and Shinji's feelings are entirely platonic

changes the scene where Shinji Strangles Asuka to make it into a love confession

calls the terrorist group mentioned in one scene "Radical leftists"

The robotic Google Translate script also gave Shinji a calmer reaction to masturbating on his comatose friend.

And to think, neckbeards spent the past two decades acting like Amanda Winn Lee killed their pets for making changes to the movie only for their dream redub to neuter any of the impact the previous dub’s script had. 

I love the original Eva Pilot VA's reactions to the redub in how varied they are. Spike Spencer's okay with the redub and wished the cast the best of luck, Amanda Winn Lee hates it and bitched about it like she was having her grave desecrated, and Tiffany Grant was just disappointed that she had to re-audition for the role of Asuka and lost out to a literally who and then she moved to Georgia.

17 minutes ago, Chapinator-800 said:

The robotic Google Translate script also gave Shinji a calmer reaction to masturbating on his comatose friend.

And to think, neckbeards spent the past two decades acting like Amanda Winn Lee killed their pets for making changes to the movie only for their dream redub to neuter any of the impact the previous dub’s script had. 

rah3of6xp3531.jpg

• 1 year later...

Did some research. At this point, it's best to forget Fly Me To The Moon was ever a part of NGE (unless you're natively Japanese) because it's never getting licensed again. Ever.

Long story short: Gainax never did a full buyout for the sync rights for the song initially. This caused the international rights to lapse after a certain amount of time. When the streaming deal was accepted at Netflix, it was found that relicensing the sync rights for FMTTM would cost about $40,000 a day. That's $14.6 million dollars a year. To have the song be part of a home video release is another animal altogether and would've cost roughly $750,000. An episode. That's about $20 million dollars.

Fly Me To The Moon was never a part of Eva. It was all a fever dream. I will buy the next set.

3 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Did some research. At this point, it's best to forget Fly Me To The Moon was ever a part of NGE (unless you're natively Japanese) because it's never getting licensed again. Ever.

Long story short: Gainax never did a full buyout for the sync rights for the song initially. This caused the international rights to lapse after a certain amount of time. When the streaming deal was accepted at Netflix, it was found that relicensing the sync rights for FMTTM would cost about $40,000 a day. That's $14.6 million dollars a year. To have the song be part of a home video release is another animal altogether and would've cost roughly $750,000. An episode. That's about $20 million dollars.

Fly Me To The Moon was never a part of Eva. It was all a fever dream. I will buy the next set.

I think I read that upon discovering Netflix's version of the show doesn't include it. And then forgot.

• 3 weeks later...

Ugh... I am cutting together a dub that smashes the best performances from the ADV and Netflix dubs together, so fuck it I'm making my own box set.

Spoiler

Cast:

Shinji Ikari - Spike Spencer [ADV] (select early episode grunts / screams replaced with Casey Mongillo [Netflix])

Misato Katsuragi - Allison Kieth [ADV]

Gendo Ikari - Tristan MacAvery & John Swasey [ADV - Dir. Cut]

Rei Ayanami - Amanda Winn-Lee [ADV]

Asuka Langley Soryu - Tiffany Grant [ADV]

Ritsuko Akagi - Sue Ulu [ADV]

Kozo Fuyutsuki - JP Karliak [Netflix]

Kaworu Nagisa - Greg Ayres [ADV - Dir. Cut]

Toji Suzuhara - Johnny Yong Bosch [Netflix]

Kensuke Aida - Ben Diskin [Netflix]

Hikari Horaki - Abby Trott [Netflix]

Naoko Akagi - Laura Chapman [ADV]

Yui Ikari - [Whoever her Netflix VA is]

Keel Lorenz - Rick Peeples [ADV]

Ryoji Kaji - Aaron Krohn [ADV]

Assorted military lackeys - [Combination of ADV & Netflix]

Maybe I'll buy a production cel on eBay just to say I purchased something idk. I'll hunt down the FUNI Rebuild 1.11 & 2.22 and then Amazon 3.33 & 3.0 + 1.0 Blu-rays whenever those come out.

On 9/6/2021 at 11:30 AM, CaptainStarwind said:

The classic dub is an extra on the higher priced versions?

🙃

One would think it would come standard on the base set...

Well I guess they need to gouge people somehow.  Plus most casuals won't care about the old dub anyway.  Guess I'm buying the collector's edition.

.... an American home release .... has more than one English dub?

I don't think I ever heard of that before.