UnevenEdge

Anime Recs for Real World/Adult Dramas

avec

Anyone have any recommendations for anime featuring adults (I feel like Ive seen every hs anime known to man) that focuses around real world issues with maybe a bit of love in it?

Something along the lines of Wotakoi or Barakamon?

Edited by avec

Bartender, where a bartender makes drinks and heals the souls of his troubled patrons, while educating you on the minutiae of cocktails.  Not much romance, but it's pretty interesting and iyashikei.

In a similar vein, Jeweler Richard, except with gems (ANN described it as like Mushi-Shi but with more bling :D).  Airing this season, it's already a favorite for me.  Plus Takahiro Sakurai as Richard is perfection.

And Gallery Fake, except with forged artworks.  This one's not iyashikei though, and it does have some comic romance sort of.  An older title, but still good.

If you liked Wotakoi, you'll probably also like Recovery of an MMO Junkie.  Definitely romance, with working, if not always functional, adults.

Hataraki Man, by Moyoco Anno (Hideaki's wife), is also working adults, but despite the title, it's about a working woman.  Seems exactly like what you're looking for, and it's very good.  Speaking of Moyoco, you might also enjoy her comic short Insufficient Direction, about her life with Hideaki.  It's hilarious and weird.

Salaryman Kintaro is ok.  About a former biker gang leader who quits to get a job to support his kid after his wife dies.  As you might expect, it's not really realistic, but it's kinda fun.

If you haven't seen Koi Kaze, I'd recommend that too.  Real world problems (though not ones you'd normally run into probably ;)) handled fairly realistically, rather than voyeuristically.  I'd also recommend the dub, which is excellent.  It's just fascinating watching this guy self-destruct over a situation he never intended to find himself in.

Edited by Gina Szanboti
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, avec said:

Anyone have any recommendations for anime featuring adults (I feel like Ive seen every hs anime known to man) that focuses around real world issues with maybe a bit of love in it?

Something along the lines of Wotakoi or Barakamon?

Anime featuring adults? You just cut your selection down to about 1 percent of anime.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

Bartender, where a bartender makes drinks and heals the souls of his troubled patrons, while educating you on the minutiae of cocktails.  Not much romance, but it's pretty interesting and iyashikei.

In a similar vein, Jeweler Richard, except with gems (ANN described it as like Mushi-Shi but with more bling :D).  Airing this season, it's already a favorite for me.  Plus Takahiro Sakurai as Richard is perfection.

And Gallery Fake, except with forged artworks.  This one's not iyashikei though, and it does have some comic romance sort of.  An older title, but still good.

If you liked Wotakoi, you'll probably also like Recovery of an MMO Junkie.  Definitely romance, with working, if not always functional, adults.

Hataraki Man, by Moyoco Anno (Hideaki's wife), is also working adults, but despite the title, it's about a working woman.  Seems exactly like what you're looking for, and it's very good.  Speaking of Moyoco, you might also enjoy her comic short Insufficient Direction, about her life with Hideaki.  It's hilarious and weird.

Salaryman Kintaro is ok.  About a former biker gang leader who quits to get a job to support his kid after his wife dies.  As you might expect, it's not really realistic, but it's kinda fun.

If you haven't seen Koi Kaze, I'd recommend that too.  Real world problems (though not ones you'd normally run into probably ;)) handled fairly realistically, rather than voyeuristically.  I'd also recommend the dub, which is excellent.  It's just fascinating watching this guy self-destruct over a situation he never intended to find himself in.

Wow ty for this stellar list!  

Welcome to the NHK - College NEET doing Neet things has a stalker kohai therapist who wants him to stop being a NEET.

I couldn't become a Hero, so I reluctantly decided to get a job - Guy was trying to kill the Demon lord, but the demon lord was beaten by someone else before he could do it himself. Ends up getting a job at a Lawsons store. The Demon lords daughter ends up working under him. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, avec said:

Im searching for the lost gems 🤣🤣😂

So you're basically asking for Seinen and Slice of life =P

There's great Seinen like Stein's Gate... and great Slice of life like Toradora... but the two together at the same time? There's not gonna be much that isn't really obscure.

The only one I can even think of off the top of my head is Usagi drop maybe?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, avec said:

Wow ty for this stellar list! 

yw.  Bartender eps are up on YouTube, and not even crushed or sound fragged. (this review from a bartender is fun too) You're on your own for the others. ;)

Can't believe I forgot Ojisan to Marshmallow.  I second panic's rec.  It's also a short, and it's pretty funny.

Edited by Gina Szanboti
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Daos said:

So you're basically asking for Seinen and Slice of life =P

There's great Seinen like Stein's Gate... and great Slice of life like Toradora... but the two together at the same time? There's not gonna be much that isn't really obscure.

The only one I can even think of off the top of my head is Usagi drop maybe?

Cool...thanks? 😂

6 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Welcome to the NHK - College NEET doing Neet things has a stalker kohai therapist who wants him to stop being a NEET.

I couldn't become a Hero, so I reluctantly decided to get a job - Guy was trying to kill the Demon lord, but the demon lord was beaten by someone else before he could do it himself. Ends up getting a job at a Lawsons store. The Demon lords daughter ends up working under him. 

Thats a good one. Thanks for the rec.

41 minutes ago, Gina Szanboti said:

Clannad is high school, until After StoryBebop and Ergo Proxy somehow don't strike me as focusing around real world issues, but I guess ymmv.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah that's why what he's asking is pretty hard. Most slice of life are high school.

What's this about Bebop not being real life oriented? It has stuff we can all relate to like fixing our spaceships and bounty hunting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Daos said:

Yeah that's why what he's asking is pretty hard. Most slice of life are high school.

What's this about Bebop not being real life oriented? It has stuff we can all relate to like fixing our spaceships and bounty hunting.

And smokign an entire pack of smokes while u wait for the tow truck to come pick up ur spaceship

• Thanks 1

Domestic girlfriend was worth a watch. It's not entirely non high school but it definitely deals with adult themes. I dubbed it with the alternative name of "A ridiculous series of horrible choices".

Golden time was pretty good. 

I have a few others but I need to look up the names. I'm horrible at remembering names, Japanese or english. 

Edited by crackymckrackin
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, crackymckrackin said:

Domestic girlfriend was worth a watch. It's not entirely non high school but it definitely deals with adult themes. I dubbed it with the alternative name of "A ridiculous series of horrible choices".

Golden time was pretty good. 

I have a few others but I need to look up the names. I'm horrible at remembering names, Japanese or english. 

Ty for the recs! Ive seen Domestic Girlfriend which gave me a lot of pause around gender conditioning. I straight up dropped Golden Time bc it was boring. Guessing it gets predictably better but ran out of patience.

Edited by avec
Wording things better now that Im less drunk.
  • Like 1

Actually I have a suggestion... it's not entirely slice of life... it's a reverse Isekai called "The Devil is a Part Timer" about a demon lord from another world who comes to our world and has to live a mostly normal life and get a minimum wage job at Mcdonalds.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Daos said:

Actually I have a suggestion... it's not entirely slice of life... it's a reverse Isekai called "The Devil is a Part Timer" about a demon lord from another world who comes to our world and has to live a mostly normal life and get a minimum wage job at Mcdonalds.

I really liked this series 😊

bruh.

my roomate is a cat the cast is pretty much adults. except for his kitten shes not an adult cat yet.

NANA has adults. its a great adult drama. def rec!

arakawa under the bridge i think also has adults as main chars. 

black lagoon. great actiony anime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Cidz said:

bruh.

my roomate is a cat the cast is pretty much adults. except for his kitten shes not an adult cat yet.

NANA has adults. its a great adult drama. def rec!

arakawa under the bridge i think also has adults as main chars. 

black lagoon. great actiony anime.

Ah this is a good reminder to pick of Black Lagoon again.  I surprisingly really liked My Roommate is a Cat 😊

On 2/15/2020 at 10:38 PM, Daos said:

Shame season 2 never and the manga stopped with the anime. The only way to get more story is to read the LN. 

• Like 1