UnevenEdge

Party

That_One_Guy

19 hours ago, scoobdog said:

Why are people such wusses when it comes to Tequila?

A friend worked for a Western Wear store owned and pretty much staffed by members of an extended Hispanic family.  After closing for the day, they'd all head for a dive bar across the street (the kind you had to be "buzzed" into & that beat cops would drop in to get a quick beer on patrol).  They invariably would do shots of Tequila & invite me to join - I'd decline (they'd had practice & could put them away repeatedly).  I stopped them by saying, "OK, but only if you do a shot of my choosing".  The elder son asked what it was & I said, "Vodka".  The response was, "EEWWW, you drink that stuff?", in a way that was like it was too strong for them.  I wish I had known about Malört then, but I probably would have gotten a beating if I got them to try it.  

46 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Vodka is kind of weird thing to shoot.  Most vodkas don't really have much of a flavor, at least the ones that are worth drinking.  And, I'll take your Malort and show you baijiu.

Second time you've said this...The first time I was like whatever....But now, I have to ask.  

how elitist is your circle that vodka shots are such a mystery....I think I started liquor on gin shots and moved to vodka when I was like 16.....Still do them if given the chance.

Second time?  Anyway, It's not like I don't hang out with people doing vodka shots or somehow look down on them for it, I just never really saw the point of shooting a small glass of just plain alcohol taste.  Even cheap tequila has a fairly distinct flavor and that's part of what I like about taking shots.  Same with gin shots because the juniper berry has a unique and not unpleasant taste.  I guess if I was serious about all this, I might shoot vodka to pick up on its subtleties, but it's not something I really care enough to do.

32 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Second time?  Anyway, It's not like I don't hang out with people doing vodka shots or somehow look down on them for it, I just never really saw the point of shooting a small glass of just plain alcohol taste.  Even cheap tequila has a fairly distinct flavor and that's part of what I like about taking shots.  Same with gin shots because the juniper berry has a unique and not unpleasant taste.  I guess if I was serious about all this, I might shoot vodka to pick up on its subtleties, but it's not something I really care enough to do.

Unfortunately, I can't have tequila, or at least the agave part of it because of the fructose.  From the description I read online, baijiu sounds like it would taste like grain alcohol. One of the "video reviews" of Malört, a guy said something like "it tastes like pinesol, gasoline...and hate!".

Edited by tsar4

30 minutes ago, tsar4 said:

Unfortunately, I can't have tequila, or at least the agave part of it because of the fructose.  From the description I read online, baijiu sounds like it would taste like grain alcohol. One of the "video reviews" of Malört, a guy said something like "it tastes like pinesol, gasoline...and hate!".

The problem with at least some baijius are that they aren't filtered like, say, saki.  We brought some back from China a while back and drinking it felt like swallowing a glass of nails.