UnevenEdge

Fire Force is coming to Toonami!

On 7/20/2019 at 2:01 AM, OwlChemist81 said:

Wait, Food Wars and Soul Eater have the same author!?!

How the hell did you get that from what I wrote?  Do they seem remotely similar to you?  Soul Eater and Fire Force have the same author as has been said many times already.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Sketch said:

Fire fighters who use fire to fight fire. What they actually fight are human beings who have spontaneously combusted and become demons called "the infernal". The second episode makes a point of showing how gut-wrenching their work really is. It's a horrifying concept if you take some time to think about it. Regardless of it being about the people putting out the fires and extinguishing the evil whenever possible, the subject matter and the frequent sight of people burning alive is going to be hard to swallow for some people after the arson attack on Kyoto Animation studio one and the massive amount injuries and deaths that occurred there.

That's what it's about?!  I thought they were just regular firefighters.  Yeesh... I dunno.

Edited by ben0119
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Sketch said:

If I had to guess, Fire Force will take no more than two weeks off in Japan. That could bode well for Toonami if they are allowed to keep airing it uninterrupted. Any more than two weeks hiatus and Fire Force would probably have to get pulled from Japanese broadcast until October or as late as some time in 2020. It's not so easy to reschedule shows on Japanese television. They'll probably air episode 3 in Japan next week but there's really no telling for sure.

Honestly, announcing this show for Toonami while people are still reeling from what happened to Kyoto Animation's studio one isn't something I would have done. I would have waited another week and just kept doubled up Titan for two weeks or start gen:LOCK a week earlier. This is incredibly bad timing. Could you imagine if they had announced Fire Force a day earlier, or worse were airing it this Saturday? Hell, they probably would have delayed airing it until July 27th or August 3rd even if they had announced it for July 20th last week. As it stands I would not blame them for delaying it until August despite just announcing it for July 27th but I expect it will air on July 27th and we'll have to see what happens after that.

I thought that they announced it before the fire happened.  Doubling up Titan means one would have to be a rerun.  Yeah not sure what they can do here.  We'll just have to wait and see.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mochi said:

having seen several anime episodes get "postponed" and then NEVER air, I'm also somewhat concerned that the show's been outright cancelled

Japan tends to permaban episodes of series if they're too reminiscent of real life tragedies, case in point, there's about 10 episodes of pokemon that have straight up been banned WORLDWIDE because of real life disasters that happened during their planned airings being too similar to the events of the episode

I had read the High School of the Dead manga went on hiatus after the 2011 earthquake, because the author didn't feel it was an appropriate time for an apocalyptic story while Japan was still going through that.  Looks like he also had a heart condition as well, and eventually died of it in 2017.  So the hiatus wasn't just because of the earthquake.  I didn't know about that.

https://anime.stackexchange.com/questions/7292/is-highschool-of-the-dead-on-hiatus-again

https://comicbook.com/anime/2018/12/15/highschool-of-the-dead-artist-author-death/

I hope the Fire Force anime doesn't get cancelled outright.  But what do you think will happen with the manga?  Has there been anything said about that?

So yeah, I can't read Japanese, but from what I'm seeing, judging from the thankfully universal Arabic numerals, it looks like it! Also, it appears there was this one "hbc" station that actually DID get to air Episode 3, so it will be a week ahead of all the others; while the others are airing episode 3 this week, it will apparently have moved on to episode 4.

All this is interesting, and would seem to indicate that Toonami's airing should go off without a hitch! If this is the case, Toonami's airing will be 3 weeks behind most Japanese stations, but will later be 2 weeks behind!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

so looks like fire force will air without any issues then

NOT NECESSARILY TRUE.

They may simply have not updated it.  Come Thursday we could get another “Uh oh, no FF this week, or ever” message.

And I don’t want to hear a single weeb bitching about their cartoon not coming out because animators don’t want to draw something traumatic.

Edited by Jman
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Jman said:

NOT NECESSARILY TRUE.

They may simply have not updated it.  Come Thursday we could get another “Uh oh, no FF this week, or ever” message.

And I don’t want to hear a single weeb bitching about their cartoon not coming out because animators don’t want to draw something traumatic.

Chances are, it's probably already been drawn--it just hasn't premiered yet.

[let the bitching begin if not]

Edited by OwlChemist81

3 hours ago, Blatch said:

Well, we got a lineup promo. I'm assuming this means Episode 3 comes to us after a two-week delay at worst.

Well, they're gonna have to sub out the AOT part starting on August 3rd, so this doesn't necessarily mean they can't do the same on August 10th if episode 3 is not yet ready to air.

1 hour ago, elfie said:

FYI, resumes IN JAPAN. This does make me more confident that Funimation will dub it and Toonami will get it so they're back on schedule.

I linked to a tweet where FUNi announced that their upload of the dub would resume on Friday. I hear Fire Force was originally intended for Spring so the production of the anime and the dub have episodes in the can already. Same day simuldubs wouldn’t really be possible if FUNi didn’t have a buffer of completed episodes.

• Like 3

Yeah, I think there's almost no way we won't be seeing Episode 3 on Toonami on August 10th now, and for the sake of normalcy, it will probably air at midnight.

The next question to be answered is to find out what timeslot gen:LOCK airs. It looks like it's going to be 11:30 if nothing else is affected, but it's also a mystery how the first episode's long runtime will affect the rest of Toonami. I suppose it might knock the 2nd episode of Fire Force out of whack. Perhaps it even gains Toonami a special 10:45 PM start time for one week only (perhaps repeating at the end of the show in September) just to get it all in?

THIS JUST IN!!! WE HAVE A 30-SECOND TRAILER!! ENJOY!!!

Furthermore, I'll bet this show will have topicals. As will gen:LOCK!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Sketch said:

I linked to a tweet where FUNi announced that their upload of the dub would resume on Friday. I hear Fire Force was originally intended for Spring so the production of the anime and the dub have episodes in the can already. Same day simuldubs wouldn’t really be possible if FUNi didn’t have a buffer of completed episodes.

Oh wow okay! Great.

10 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Purple.

Oooo good answer. But like, a SATURATED purple. And with gradients of other non-natural colors mixed in there for extra frustration.  I was gonna say green, but sometimes fire glows green under certain chemicals, and also fire is green in Sleeping Beauty.

Edited by elfie

Welp, as is the case with most things this year, THIS JUST GOT WEIRD.

The question is: will this even get weird for us? With FUNimation on the production committee, will we get a "non-tragedy-sensitive" version over here, or will it be the same?

That remains yet to be seen...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.yomiuri.co.jp/culture/20190725-OYT1T50298/

Here is the original notice of the upcoming edits.  Going off the Google translation, which is very rough, the edits will start with episode 4 going onward.  The color of the fire will change.  I wonder if that's for the whole rest of the series.  And will there be an uncut version Funimation and Toonami would have to, and possibly for home release?  And when they get to episodes not yet made, will they be edited from the start with no uncut version existing at all?

https://sciencing.com/colors-fire-hot-8631323.html

Maybe someone who speaks Japanese can get a better idea of what is said in that announcement, but as far as I can tell it does not say what color the flames will be.  Not sure why ANN or someone else hasn't translated and reported on it.

As for the guess of purple, it looks like that color never happens in nature.  If I recall, the fire was green in Sleeping Beauty was green because it was magic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored_fire

https://www.mathsone.com/blog-details/blog/109-Flame-Colors-and-Temperatures

https://www.sciencecompany.com/Creating-Flame-Colors.aspx

https://melscience.com/US-en/articles/colored-flame-experiment/

However, there is a form of pyrotechnics called colored fire where many colors, inducing violet or purple can be created.  I've never heard of this before, but given different chemicals used to make various colors of fireworks, it makes sense that something like this would exist.

The fire in Fire Force is also of a supernatural nature so presumably all kinds of colors might be possible.

And, upon doing one of my searches, it turns out -

Spoiler

there is a faction called something of the Purple Smoke that shows up later on.  I don't know if their fire is purple or just their smoke. 

But altering any of the fire colors in any way could lead to confusion and issues with lore when characters or groups may be introduced that have specific colors of fire for specific reasons.  Not really sure what could be done about this though.  And this gives me flashbacks of 4kids.

I'm also not sure if just changing the color of fire would make it more palatable to those directly affected by the studio fire or fans that would that would have a tougher time watching the series than others.  I would presume they would just avoid the series entirely.  This seems like a lose lose situation no matter how you slice it.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how everything turns out.

Anyway, I'm not going to look into this further for now because I'm leaving at noon tomorrow.  We're having a family get together at a riverside house this weekend.  I'll likely miss the live premiere of Fire Force and the finale of Attack on Titan.  It sucks but not much I can do about it as that's just how the timing worked out.  If I can't watch anything Saturday night the block will definitely be the first thing I watch when I get back.

• Like 1

It's definitely unfortunate. And the KyoAni fire was a big enough story to make some national news outlets (CBS aired a report of it on TV), so even some casual fans might know about it and recognize that something went wrong. Still, I don't think this will affect how well it does, because it's a good and popular show in its own right.

I do wonder about the color-changing fire. I don't see America and Japan getting separate versions because that would be too much work, but they might go back and change it to the natural colors for the Blu-ray releases. Or they could leave it in, because for all we know, it'll look cooler. 😮

18 hours ago, ben0119 said:

If I can't watch anything Saturday night the block will definitely be the first thing I watch when I get back.

Worth it for some shonen goodness, the first two I've seen so far were really cool in the dub (great animation too), really good first impression of the dub cast, watched them through my Funi subscription before it got announced for Toonami.

The timing is of course unfortunate, but the show is awesome and off to a really nice start.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 10:03 PM, DangerMouse said:

Worth it for some shonen goodness, the first two I've seen so far were really cool in the dub (great animation too), really good first impression of the dub cast, watched them through my Funi subscription before it got announced for Toonami.

The timing is of course unfortunate, but the show is awesome and off to a really nice start.

Yup, it was awesome premiere!  Blew me away for sure.  People, this is how you do first episodes!  I posted my comments in the episode thread just earlier.

Thanks for linking the ANN article, Blatch.  I wonder if they are going to redo all the colors of those scenes and make them whacked out like JoJo does.  I think that could work with this show.  If they just change the flames it could work too.  We'll have to see.  And determine if we get the same version as Japan once we get that far.

On 7/26/2019 at 5:47 PM, elfie said:

Apparently, Japan really IS strict. Today those Kyoani employees who were alive and able to work, did so again. Obviously either remotely or in some other office, since the old building is a health hazard.

I doubt that they would MAKE them go back to work?  But, it would be nice if you would post sources?