UnevenEdge

Rooster Teeth teases gen:Lock for Adult Swim (Update - Confirmed for Toonami)

Jman

On 7/9/2019 at 3:57 AM, rpgamer said:

I haven't sought this out, but, RT isn't such a terrible thing. I'm a little soured on their choice to not air stuff like RWBY on youtube anymore (look, I bought the soundtracks and DVDs, why piss off fans that are giving you way more money than some piddly ad revenue?). And, truthfully, I'm not a huge follower or anything, but it still seems like the company has made some great strides.

And, even though Monty Oum is gone, I'll hope that some of his protegees (or at least anyone that's gotten the experience in his animation style) has worked on this. Because, by the fucking gods, that man could choreograph and animate a fight scene like no other. Series he was involved in may have taken a slight hit, but I think/hope the animation team has worked hard to make him proud.

I was going to say that the original creator dying mid-production would be another reason not to watch it, until I read this -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Oum

"The company stated that Oum had shared much of his vision for the future of the story with the rest of the production staff and that these ideas would remain the basis for future work on the show."

https://archive.is/20150310152542/http://roosterteeth.com/news/entry.php?id=5678655

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Why did they cast these people and how did they even afford them? 

Might be the other way around, where some of the actors heard about the project and wanted in. Maybe they were fans of Rooster Teeth, or they wanted to work on something fun an animated. Michael B. Jordan is openly a weeb, so it wouldn't be surprising if that was the case for him. David Tennant seems like a nerd who'd enjoy being in the show just for the hell of it, and that poor Game of Thrones girl could probably use a break from anything similar to GoT for awhile.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2019 at 5:41 PM, elfie said:

No like legit these bodies were way hawt to the point where I was wondering how this was allowed on a children's network.

A breakdown of the characters' ages throughout the series...

https://totallyspies.fandom.com/wiki/Beverly_Hills_High

14 - 15: 9th Grade, Freshman: Season 1
15 - 16: 10th Grade, Sophomore: Season 2
16 - 17: 11th Grade, Junior: Season 3
17 - 18: 12th Grade, Senior: Season 4

https://totallyspies.fandom.com/wiki/Malibu_University

18 - 19: Freshman: Season 5
19 - 20: Sophomore: Season 6
20 - 21: Junior:
21 - 22: Senior:

Edited by ben0119

5 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Might be the other way around, where some of the actors heard about the project and wanted in. Maybe they were fans of Rooster Teeth, or they wanted to work on something fun an animated. Michael B. Jordan is openly a weeb, so it wouldn't be surprising if that was the case for him. David Tennant seems like a nerd who'd enjoy being in the show just for the hell of it, and that poor Game of Thrones girl could probably use a break from anything similar to GoT for awhile.

She’s gone on record saying being in a voice booth is a lot less of a commitment than Thrones was.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

This is indeed an impressive cast and I would be over the wall if they all tweet about Gen:LOCK on Toonami!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Why did they cast these people and how did they even afford them?  To me it just comes off like the stunt casting that's done in animated movies these days to draw in audiences instead of having the movies stand on their own merits.  Voice acting is different from regular acting, I don't like that voice actors are getting screwed out of these prominent roles, and sometimes a big name celebrity can just make it distracting and ruin immersion and suspension of disbelief.  I will say that it seemed to work out for Shrek though.

What the fuck?

Yeah because it takes place in a sci-fi setting, the characters can come from different countries, and one of the main characters is of Japanese descent to the point where he can't even speak English.

• Like 1

I actually kinda hope this does confirm a season 2, so Michael B. Jordan can achieve his true goal.

Being in a new Super Robot Wars entry and getting to interact with the cast of Gundam Wing.  You KNOW he would be all over that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, elfie said:

.... I ---- i don't see... why it would be something to heckle.  The show looks pretty good.

I just think it looks ugly (like RWBY) I have no real opinion of it other than that

the only CG anime I've ever seen that's genuinely beautiful is Land of the Lustrous

Edited by mochi
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, ben0119 said:

That's a silly rule to have, but I wouldn't blame you for skipping this show anyway.

It's not exactly a "rule" in the strictest of sentence, but more of a happy coincidence. I watched Sym-Bionic Titan all the way to the finish to make up for missing the last nine episodes on regular CN, sat my ass down for Jack Season 5 after plowing through the first 52 episodes - 30 of which I watched in almost an entire sitting less than 24 hours before premiere night! - and am planning on checking out Primal when it premieres on [as] proper. Compare that to Thundercats, which I only watched the first two episodes of but never bothering beyond that (and for good reason, from what I hear), and Beware the Batman, which I didn't even care for enough to start watching. It wasn't until I got into Gotham a year after CN lost the rights to Beware that I started really caring about the Batman mythos.

9 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

No CN show nowadays can even touch the terrible look of Problem Solverz, the show that literally made an online cartoon reviewer nearsighted when he hadn't been before.

Mr. Enter was talking out of his ass. That was a total coincidence.

• Haha 1

On 7/13/2019 at 1:58 AM, rpgamer said:

Tennant's also already done Duck Tales, so it's not like voice acting is a new thing for him.

And like I said earlier it's the exact same as the Scrooge McDuck voice for some unknown reason, which is going to be extremely distracting.

Edited by ben0119
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

It's not exactly a "rule" in the strictest of sentence, but more of a happy coincidence. I watched Sym-Bionic Titan all the way to the finish to make up for missing the last nine episodes on regular CN, sat my ass down for Jack Season 5 after plowing through the first 52 episodes - 30 of which I watched in almost an entire sitting less than 24 hours before premiere night! - and am planning on checking out Primal when it premieres on [as] proper. Compare that to Thundercats, which I only watched the first two episodes of but never bothering beyond that (and for good reason, from what I hear), and Beware the Batman, which I didn't even care for enough to start watching. It wasn't until I got into Gotham a year after CN lost the rights to Beware that I started really caring about the Batman mythos.

Oh ok.  Ehh, maybe give ThunderCats a shot.  I like it a lot and I'm not the only one.  They got fucked out of a season 2 though, so there's that.

I had no interest in Gotham.  I have seen a few episodes since my friend was watching it.  I don't see the point of watching a Batman show without Batman.  It's like Agents of SHIELD that I dropped after the pilot.  Just a Marvel-flavored cop show.  No superheroes.  Beware the Batman was pretty bad.  Batman, Batman Returns, The Animated Series, and the Nolan trilogy are all sitting there waiting.  I'm surprised you didn't get into Batman as a kid.

15 hours ago, Jman said:

I actually kinda hope this does confirm a season 2, so Michael B. Jordan can achieve his true goal.

Being in a new Super Robot Wars entry and getting to interact with the cast of Gundam Wing.  You KNOW he would be all over that.

What are you taking about?

9 hours ago, mochi said:

I just think it looks ugly (like RWBY) I have no real opinion of it other than that

the only CG anime I've ever seen that's genuinely beautiful is Land of the Lustrous

I agree with you that it's ugly. 

Also if all mechas in anime are gonna be CG now I'd rather they just not bother.  It takes you out of it because a lot of times it doesn't even blend in with the rest of the art and animation.  And the mechas themselves often just don't look as good in my opinion.  I'm not a huge fan of Gundam and not even particularly a fan of the mecha designs themselves for that franchise, but I was still disappointed to see the CG for the mechas in Origin. 

But, this whole show is ugly cel-shaded CG.

Edited by ben0119

1 hour ago, ben0119 said:

I had no interest in Gotham.  I have seen a few episodes since my friend was watching it.  I don't see the point of watching a Batman show without Batman.  It's like Agents of SHIELD that I dropped after the pilot.  Just a Marvel-flavored cop show.  No superheroes.

Yeah, that's an understandable barrier to entry, but once you get past the mob-flavored first season, it really hits the ground running with all the character buildup and shout-outs to the Batman mythos. Think of the execution as Burton meets Nolan meets '60s Batman. And it's not so much about the superhero (no plural), but the supervillains. Batman does have the best villains, after all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ben0119 said:

What are you taking about?

Michael B. Jordan, the star of the show, is a confessed anime fan, and cites Toonami and Gundam Wing as what got him into it.

Meanwhile, RT likes putting their properties in series that are otherwise for Japanese stuff, like when RWBY showed up in a BlazBlue crossover game.  

• Like 1

• StarPanda unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

While I do appreciate famous people saying they love anime, I feel like it's shallow most of the time. You always hear about athletes (and usually black ones) who got into it from the most basic series like Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, and whatever else aired on Toonami in the late 90's/early 2000's. There was one NBA player I saw who said he loved One Piece, but that's as far out as I've seen. And even then, it's still a Shonen Jump property. When the hell am I going to see famous boxers and/or wrestlers say they love Megalobox? How come there aren't more actors talking about their favorite iDOLM@STER characters? Is the world not ready for more advanced discussion?

Oh, and just so I'm not necrobumping this thread, we got an update: they will be cutting some stuff.

Nice job to Brian for the pop. 😘

1 hour ago, Blatch said:

While I do appreciate famous people saying they love anime, I feel like it's shallow most of the time. You always hear about athletes (and usually black ones) who got into it from the most basic series like Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, and whatever else aired on Toonami in the late 90's/early 2000's. There was one NBA player I saw who said he loved One Piece, but that's as far out as I've seen. And even then, it's still a Shonen Jump property. When the hell am I going to see famous boxers and/or wrestlers say they love Megalobox? How come there aren't more actors talking about their favorite iDOLM@STER characters? Is the world not ready for more advanced discussion?

Oh, and just so I'm not necrobumping this thread, we got an update: they will be cutting some stuff.

Nice job to Brian for the pop. 😘

We’ve asked Demarco several times with no response, I figured we’d actually get an answer here. You can tell these guys are super excited to have their show air  

On 7/14/2019 at 8:16 AM, Jman said:

Michael B. Jordan, the star of the show, is a confessed anime fan, and cites Toonami and Gundam Wing as what got him into it.

Meanwhile, RT likes putting their properties in series that are otherwise for Japanese stuff, like when RWBY showed up in a BlazBlue crossover game.  

I really wish we’d get some promotion from him

52 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

I really wish we’d get some promotion from him

DeMarco’s budget for Toonami barely covers lunches off the Dollar Menu.  Put simply, they cannot afford to get any of the actors from gen:Lock in the studio.  

If they could, don’t you think we’d already have David Tenant singing its praises?

• Haha 1

So I thought as much. Too bad we won't see some stuff on Toonami, but they exist on the Roosterteeth site, VRV, and the home release.

Also because I am going on a trip this weekend, I watched the pilot myself in advance and wrote up a reaction list.  As such, I saw the full 31 minutes, so my reactions will be toward moments in the ep that to will seem totally nonsensical since those won't air on TV.

Edited by elfie
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jman said:

DeMarco’s budget for Toonami barely covers lunches off the Dollar Menu.  Put simply, they cannot afford to get any of the actors from gen:Lock in the studio.  

If they could, don’t you think we’d already have David Tenant singing its praises?

I mean can they at least have them tweet about it?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, elfie said:

So I thought as much. Too bad we won't see some stuff on Toonami, but they exist on the Roosterteeth site, VRV, and the home release.

Also because I am going on a trip this weekend, I watched the pilot myself in advance and wrote up a reaction list.  As such, I saw the full 31 minutes, so my reactions will be toward moments in the ep that to you will seem totally nonsensical since those won't air on TV.

I wonder if the cut scenes will be streaming on Adult Swim's site?

They sure are promoting the hell out of it on-air 

• Like 1

They're editing it for time?!  What utter horseshit!  I thought you were better than this, Toonami!  Cutting OPs, EDs, previews, Clover Petit or the like is one thing, but main content?!  If you could air Hellsing in full then you should do the same for this, or don't air it at all!

Edited by ben0119
  • Haha 2

On 8/1/2019 at 3:02 PM, brianycpht said:

We’ve asked Demarco several times with no response, I figured we’d actually get an answer here. You can tell these guys are super excited to have their show air  

"We?"

My view of Demarco just falls lower and lower.

Edited by ben0119
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

They're editing it for time?!  What utter horseshit!  I thought you were better than this, Toonami!  Cutting OPs, EDs, previews, Clover Petit or the like is one thing, but main content?!  If you could air Hellsing in full then you should do the same for this, or don't air it at all!

My theory is it will be eventually aired uncut during a marathon of Season 1, because it's just right-sized for Toonami and that will be the perfect time to do it...

OR AT LEAST I'MMA RAISE HOLY HELL TO MAKE IT HAPPEN!!! Y'ALL CAN COUNT ON ME!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, ben0119 said:

It's 31 minutes long. What did you want them to do? Run it 5 minutes overtime and fill the next 25 minutes with commercials?

5 hours ago, elfie said:

It's 31 minutes long. What did you want them to do? Run it 5 minutes overtime and fill the next 25 minutes with commercials?

I thought it was 45 minutes.  Still, 31 is too long to have enough room for commercials in a 30 minute block.  And no, not an asinine thing like what you said.  But there are ways.  They made Hellsing work.  They could make this work.  The whole block is premieres now so they really couldn't put it later and just cut some reruns for a week or make them late.  They could have preempted something for a week or something, or had each show be late after it.  If space is over they could air or re-air something short to fill the space, like a total immersive event, half a Pop Team Epic, or those various other shorts they've aired before, or something like it.  They've done stuff like that before.  They've had nights where shows had irregular start times to air something that doesn't fit a time slot.  Again, if it wasn't going to fit the block to where they could air it properly, they should have passed on it.  I hope nothing vital gets cut.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

My theory is it will be eventually aired uncut during a marathon of Season 1, because it's just right-sized for Toonami and that will be the perfect time to do it...

OR AT LEAST I'MMA RAISE HOLY HELL TO MAKE IT HAPPEN!!! Y'ALL CAN COUNT ON ME!!!!!!!

But how many people are actually gonna' watch that marathon?