UnevenEdge

Rooster Teeth teases gen:Lock for Adult Swim (Update - Confirmed for Toonami)

Jman

I found a trailer.

That cel-shaded look and wonky animation will take some getting used to, to put it nicely.  And David Tennant using his Scrooge McDuck voice is going to be extremely distracting.

Edited by ben0119
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

Apparently someone who claimed to be an [as] staff member made a post on 4chan's weekly Toonami discussion on /co/ and all but confirmed that gen:LOCK would be airing.

I'd take it with a grain of salt, but I'd also remain cautious in case it's true.

I expect the fandom to greet the announcement with the same warm welcome it gave Beware the Batman.

• Haha 1

FYI I didn't think this was an official confirmation because the title of the thread said "teases" which is not the same thing.

So now we're getting the first American-animated action cartoon on the block in years huh?  Now we can open the chance of RWBY getting on the block too, even though i cannot stand another Vic-voiced character.

Edited by elfie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, elfie said:

FYI I didn't think this was an official confirmation because the title of the thread said "teases" which is not the same thing.

So now we're getting the first American-animated action cartoon on the block in years huh?  Now we can open the chance of RWBY getting on the block too, even though i cannot stand another Vic-voiced character.

Even with its improvements RWBY is still amateur hour in terms of production and the like.  The whole point of gen:Lock was to show a professional quality production.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TWO Giant Robot shows on the block at the same time? Like I'm gonna complain about that!

Maybe they'll even be back-to-back! Move Gundam up to 2:30 and make 2 AM the "Giant Robot Hour!":

11 PM Dragon Ball Super (Duh)
11:30 Lupin the 3rd Part 5
12 AM Food Wars
12:30 Black Clover
1 AM Boruto
1:30 AM Naruto Shippuden
2 AM gen:LOCK
2:30 Gundam The Origin
3 AM MHA
3:30 AOT (S3P2 Rerun)

I guess something's just gonna get doubled-up or we're gonna lose 3:30 for 2 weeks...because we STILL don't know what's coming July 20th to replace SAO!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

I'll probably just watch the first episode and only check in if the backdoor schedule's TV rating implies sexy results. Genndy's shows were the only Western action stuff I bothered with on [as], and I intend to keep it that way.

Edited by PokeNirvash

A little more about this somewhat surprising turn of events for the Better Cartoon Show, which you'll understand WHY is surprising after a glance at the runtimes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gen%3ALock

EIGHT episodes--that's it. So it will be on the air in August and September. And GOOD LORD, just look at those runtimes!

Does Toonami have a 15-minute show they can air? Because while they might be able to squeeze #2-#7 into a 30-minute timeslot, by HEAVILY editing the opening and ending credits, they're gonna need a 45-minute timeslot for the first and 8th episodes, something akin to what The (British) Office did when it aired on [as]. Because of that, I think there's no question that gen:LOCK is either going to be the last show on the block, or followed by a rerun, UNLESS Rooster Teeth actually "padded" the length of the first and last episodes with new material for this Toonami airing so that they adhere to a normal 22-ish minute runtime.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

I'll probably just watch the first episode and only check in if the backdoor schedule's TV rating implies sexy results. Genndy's shows were the only Western action stuff I bothered with on [as], and I intend to keep it that way.

And that’s why this show will BOMB.  Hard.  As I noted with Beware the Batfleck, Toonami does not welcome non-anime warmly.  At all.

Genndy however gets a pass.

• Haha 1

The talent in gen:Lock is big enough to make any HBO original green with envy.  Michael B Jordan (Killmonger in Black Panther) Dakota Fanning, the aforementioned Arya Stark, Spike’s Japanese VA, and David Tenant.

That cast list alone has me thinking that it will get a better time slot.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Jman said:

Even with its improvements RWBY is still amateur hour in terms of production and the like.  The whole point of gen:Lock was to show a professional quality production.

You know WHY the production is amateur. But that doesn't make it any less impressive on how its humble origins became so popular, Japan treats it like a real anime, and they now have professional dub actors on it.

6 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

TWO Giant Robot shows on the block at the same time? Like I'm gonna complain about that!

Maybe they'll even be back-to-back! Move Gundam up to 2:30 and make 2 AM the "Giant Robot Hour!":

12 AM Food Wars
1 AM Boruto
3 AM MHA

I guess something's just gonna get doubled-up or we're gonna lose 3:30 for 2 weeks...because we STILL don't know what's coming July 20th to replace SAO!

I like that schedule.

5 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

A little more about this somewhat surprising turn of events for the Better Cartoon Show, which you'll understand WHY is surprising after a glance at the runtimes:

EIGHT episodes--that's it. So it will be on the air in August and September. And GOOD LORD, just look at those runtimes!

Does Toonami have a 15-minute show they can air? Because while they might be able to squeeze #2-#7 into a 30-minute timeslot, by HEAVILY editing the opening and ending credits, they're gonna need a 45-minute timeslot for the first and 8th episodes, something akin to what The (British) Office did when it aired on [as]. Because of that, I think there's no question that gen:LOCK is either going to be the last show on the block, or followed by a rerun, UNLESS Rooster Teeth actually "padded" the length of the first and last episodes with new material for this Toonami airing so that they adhere to a normal 22-ish minute runtime.

So it seems like they've been copying Netflix's format.  Less # of episodes a season, and each episode is more like the length of an OVA special.

5 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

It's probably gonna air at the ass-end of the block, which probably explains why Gundam is at 3 AM--for a "Giant Robot Hour", but it's not without its star power.

For example, it actually contains the voice talent of Arya Stark's actress from Game of Thrones!

No, really!! https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=21759

It also got F***** Spike Spiegel.

No no NOT Steve Blum I MEAN THE ACTUAL ORIGINAL F***** JAPANESE SEIYU OF SPIKE SPIEGEL!  (even though he only speaks in Japanese with English subtitles)

Edited by elfie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't sought this out, but, RT isn't such a terrible thing. I'm a little soured on their choice to not air stuff like RWBY on youtube anymore (look, I bought the soundtracks and DVDs, why piss off fans that are giving you way more money than some piddly ad revenue?). And, truthfully, I'm not a huge follower or anything, but it still seems like the company has made some great strides.

And, even though Monty Oum is gone, I'll hope that some of his protegees (or at least anyone that's gotten the experience in his animation style) has worked on this. Because, by the fucking gods, that man could choreograph and animate a fight scene like no other. Series he was involved in may have taken a slight hit, but I think/hope the animation team has worked hard to make him proud.

• Like 3

On 7/7/2019 at 8:53 AM, elfie said:

I read this as "I cannot stand either Vic-voiced character" and was going to say "VIC IS IN BOTH SHOWS?!"  Thank god that's not the case.  I never did see RWBY because I didn't know what it was for the longest time, and the fan base seemed kind of cringey.  I looked it up and saw it was just some amateur anime wannabe thing that did look cringey so I was like meh and didn't bother with it.  But given it has Vic in a prominent role it would be difficult if not impossible to go back and watch it now.  Also Vic's character in that show looks like a creeper.

06194d110924f0fb31acfc1b333183abb2d63043

On 7/7/2019 at 11:29 AM, OwlChemist81 said:

12 AM Food Wars
1 AM Boruto
3 AM MHA

I really don't know if it's a good idea to put Lupin second and Food Wars third.  Lupin is likely to turn off casuals with it's retro look and they will head for the hills when Food Wars ecchi nonsense comes on.  Not that I care about ratings that much, but the ratings need to stay good enough at least for Toonami to stay on air.  Weird we still don't know what's replacing SAO.  It ends tomorrow.  They better come up with something.

On 7/7/2019 at 11:48 AM, OwlChemist81 said:

I didn't know about the odd runtimes.  I think it has to be last then otherwise I don't know what they're going to do to get it to work.  A lot of viewers don't like irregular runtimes and that could also maybe mess with DVRs, I'm not sure.

On 7/7/2019 at 1:59 PM, OwlChemist81 said:

It's probably gonna air at the ass-end of the block, which probably explains why Gundam is at 3 AM--for a "Giant Robot Hour", but it's not without its star power.

For example, it actually contains the voice talent of Arya Stark's actress from Game of Thrones!

No, really!! https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=21759

Maybe that's it, but Toonami doesn't really do these "power hours" as much as you think they do or want them to.  I think Attack on Titan and The Promised Neverland was very much intentional, though.

On 7/7/2019 at 4:30 PM, Jman said:

The talent in gen:Lock is big enough to make any HBO original green with envy.  Michael B Jordan (Killmonger in Black Panther) Dakota Fanning, the aforementioned Arya Stark, Spike’s Japanese VA, and David Tenant.

On 7/9/2019 at 1:37 AM, 3ngag3 said:

This show was naught but a curiosity for me until I found out they got personalities such as Michael B. Jordan and the fucking 10th Doctor.

Why did they cast these people and how did they even afford them?  To me it just comes off like the stunt casting that's done in animated movies these days to draw in audiences instead of having the movies stand on their own merits.  Voice acting is different from regular acting, I don't like that voice actors are getting screwed out of these prominent roles, and sometimes a big name celebrity can just make it distracting and ruin immersion and suspension of disbelief.  I will say that it seemed to work out for Shrek though.

On 7/7/2019 at 5:40 PM, elfie said:

It also got F***** Spike Spiegel.

No no NOT Steve Blum I MEAN THE ACTUAL ORIGINAL F***** JAPANESE SEIYU OF SPIKE SPIEGEL!  (even though he only speaks in Japanese with English subtitles)

What the fuck?

On 7/7/2019 at 11:34 AM, PokeNirvash said:

That's a silly rule to have, but I wouldn't blame you for skipping this show anyway. 

Besides, Clone Wars!  That was a direct successor to Genndy's Clone Wars micro-series.  But, it wasn't a Toonami premiere, just "new to Toonami."

On 7/7/2019 at 10:01 AM, Jman said:

The characters, art, animation, all look very awkward and wonky in the pictures and clips I have seen of RWBY.  Definitely some unnatural body and facial movements.  This Gen:Lock has that too, but not as bad.  Still looks off to me, though.

On 7/7/2019 at 4:30 PM, Jman said:

Yeah, I've also reconsidered, and I'm thinking you're right. A show with weird-ass runtimes like gen:LOCK can pretty much be aired at 2 distinct times: the beginning of the block or the end of the block. With THAT star power, it's gonna be the beginning!

I mean SHIT, not even fuckin' FAMILY GUY seems to be able to crack 500K consistently, so what else can? Stick a show on Saturday night with the likes of David Tennant and Maisie Williams and see if THAT works, I guess??

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Haha 1

On 7/7/2019 at 5:38 PM, elfie said:

You know WHY the production is amateur. But that doesn't make it any less impressive on how its humble origins became so popular, Japan treats it like a real anime, and they now have professional dub actors on it.

I highly doubt Japan treats it like real anime.  I'd be surprised if they even gave a shit about it.  Regardless, and this isn't a statement on quality at all, if a show wasn't made in Japan, it's not anime, period.

Edit - Okay so it was dubbed into Japanese and put on Japanese TV.  I wasn't able to find ratings for it, but the Blu-Ray sales were not amazing or anything.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RWBY/comments/5gxzot/so_how_popular_is_rwby_in_japan_now/

"They're definitely not absolutely fantastic. Something that's absolutely fantastic is like K-On!- (first TV anime to sell 500k BDs), Monogatari- (highest single volume sales at 80k), or Love Live-levels (the movie sold 194k BDs in its first week). And the second Evangelion Rebuild sold 319k discs (BD+DVD) on its first day. RWBY's JP sales are a solid good, and great for a non-Japanese property that isn't a feature film. Still not fantastic, though."

Edited by ben0119
  • D'oh 1

On 7/7/2019 at 10:10 PM, Top Gun said:

...the fuck would I complain?  That looks badass.

The art and animation looks off.  And cel-shaded stuff is real hit or miss.  If you can't pull it off well, it just looks bad.  And the stunt casting could imply a lack of confidence in the material.