UnevenEdge

Laid off.

Gyaos

Or "let go." Several employees were released, and I happened to be one of them. Never had this happen to me before. The job was great. Didn't have any complaints. It kept me busy, but I've no fucking idea what to do now.

Never filed for unemployment, so I guess I'd better start researching tomorrow. Has anybody else been in a similar situation? I've had this job for nearly a full year, and *POOF,* it's gone.

• Sad 1

Yeah, I've been laid off. I didn't file for unemployment at the time, because I had cash saved up and I found something else within a couple months. So I can't help you there, but I will wish you luck on finding work soon.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Skiles said:

Yeah, I've been laid off. I didn't file for unemployment at the time, because I had cash saved up and I found something else within a couple months. So I can't help you there, but I will wish you luck on finding work soon.

Same-ish. I guess I just really don't know what to say during a job search aside from "I got laid off for reasons." We weren't even given a clear reason as to why we were cut.

15 minutes ago, Majin Mayhem said:

Nearly a full year?

do you even qualify for unemployment?

I don't know. Never had to file for unemployment in my life.

3 minutes ago, Ginguy said:

What is your profession?

I was a substance abuse counselor, but now I'm just jobless. The writing was not on the wall, at least from what I could tell.

6.5 years and then I was laid off. Since I was the only one doing any work, the place didn't last another year after I was gone and by that time I already had another job. 

Different states might have different ways of doing things so bear that in mind with all this. I went to the closest Job Services place and got set up for unemployment. I also had to sign up for their stupid job classes program which is what they do around here to ensure that people are being serious about looking for work but I felt was just a waste of my time since it kept me from being near the phone in case it rang with an interview offer. You may be expected to provide a list of so many places that you applied to each week - set a reasonable goal and stick with it. 

Don't be afraid to look at things outside your current job experiences, sometimes you can use this as a literal fresh start. 

Let yourself be pissed off. Let yourself be mad or depressed or bawl or whatever. Getting laid off is a trauma pure and simple. Just tell yourself that it will get better. Get a stupid treat like a cheap ice cream cone and be a kid for a moment. And then get up and go forth knowing that you will succeed because you chose to. 

Crank an epic tune and dance like you are having an epileptic seizure when you get your new job. I suggest 'Back In Business' from the Dick Tracy soundtrack. :D:D:D But that's just me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You go & apply for unemployment.  If you haven't been with an employer long enough, then the unemployment reverts back to your prior employer before this one.  It sounds like you'll be eligible though.  You might be able to apply online, depending upon your state.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 🍬Candy🍬 said:

Yes on my 1 year anniversary aflac didnt make me permanent. Filed for unemployment. There was a week waiting period. I was hurting but i found something else in less than 3 months making more money. Near my 2 year anniversary now.

To qoute a man I know.

Ollie's sells insurance?

• Haha 1

Just now, Xanatos said:

I think it varies by state. I know where I'm from you have to work there for a min of a year so you'd be good there. Check online or ask. Apply anyway. Worst they can say is no.

Yeah, I'm just wondering what the exact terms are. I was employed with the company for 11 months, but I was jumping from one job to another. I was never unemployed before I took that position.

I guess I'm just gonna' need to talk to the people at the office to get exact details. I just like knowing those things before I get into anything, and while the information provided on the website is good, it doesn't answer all of my questions. But odds are the people there probably will be just as vague or will parrot what the website states.

1 minute ago, Gyaos said:

Yeah, I'm just wondering what the exact terms are. I was employed with the company for 11 months, but I was jumping from one job to another. I was never unemployed before I took that position.

I guess I'm just gonna' need to talk to the people at the office to get exact details. I just like knowing those things before I get into anything, and while the information provided on the website is good, it doesn't answer all of my questions. But odds are the people there probably will be just as vague or will parrot what the website states.

even then you can see the compensation rate on the website. the max you can get is 400 something a week but you have to be making a crap ton of money to pull that

it sucks but not much you can do about it. usually a mass layoff indicates a cost saving move. how they go about choosing who and why they lay off a specific person is usually ties more to perceived value. for example with me, i never go above and beyond for any company.  i always say no to staying extra or working overtime except for when i want to get the extra money. and sometimes i come in late. and im also not one that  will do some bullshit like sweep the floor when things are running slow. 

i highly suggest you just dont let this bother you too much. apply to unemployment right away. you never know how long you will be between jobs. and when you interview you can tell any future employee the truth, you were never given a reason and were part of a mass layoff. you can tell them it was unexpected and came in as a surprised to you. then just move on and not dwell on that topic. 

but yeah get your unemployment!

6 hours ago, Distortedreasoning said:

it sucks but not much you can do about it. usually a mass layoff indicates a cost saving move. how they go about choosing who and why they lay off a specific person is usually ties more to perceived value. for example with me, i never go above and beyond for any company.  i always say no to staying extra or working overtime except for when i want to get the extra money. and sometimes i come in late. and im also not one that  will do some bullshit like sweep the floor when things are running slow. 

i highly suggest you just dont let this bother you too much. apply to unemployment right away. you never know how long you will be between jobs. and when you interview you can tell any future employee the truth, you were never given a reason and were part of a mass layoff. you can tell them it was unexpected and came in as a surprised to you. then just move on and not dwell on that topic. 

but yeah get your unemployment!

I got caught up in one of those cost-cutting things the first time I was laid off.  After it happened, a friend let me know that in 3 months they'd start hiring people back (I was still a probationary employee, cut just before 90 days).  I filed for unemployment, then sent letters to the company's HR & the group I had been working for, thanking them for the opportunity & letting them know that if they had any questions about what I was working on to let me know.  3 months later, I was brought in for interviews & hired by a different team.

Funny thing was, I found out that nobody picked up on what I had been previously been working on after I was let go, so for 3 months people didn't get paid.  I guess there was a big uproar.  Nobody bothered to follow up with me, I would have told them.

Edited by tsar4

I've faced a simular situation. Just make sure the company can't twist the fact they let you go by saying there were other programs/positions offered to the employees that were laid off etc..because your employer...especially if it's a big company with a well organized corporate.. will more than likely try that. What I mean is they will make it look like you voluntarily left instead of switching positions if they can. Be prepared for them to appeal your claim just because they can, and don't automatically assume the agency is going to side with them because walmart appealed my claim, and the agency sided with me both times.

I was laid off when a contracting company I was working for went under and sold out.. I was promised a job with the other company, but they dragged their feet so I found another job elsewhere within a few months. I didn't try for unemployment, but I guaruntee the company would've brought up that they offered me employment elsewhere. and it could've effected the decision adversly because that happened to my mom. She wasn't able to get hired on to the new company because of different requirements, but they still denied her unemployment. She could've appealed the decision.. but again she didn't have the tenacity that is sometimes required to get it. 

Edited by PhilosipherStoned

File for unemployment. There is usually a waiting period in every state and it can take a little while for them to make a decision, but if you company did a mass layoff it should be approved pretty quickly (since it wasn't a misconduct at work dismissal).

Also look into filing for temporary SNAP benefits. There's usually a program to help people who are suddenly unemployed. I lived in Oklahoma and got a prorate for the rest of the month on the same day I applied. It isn't a ton for a single person (I think it's like ~$150 for a single adult) but it will come in handy to keep you fed until you get back to normal since you probably won't make as much as you would working if you do get your unemployment benefits.

Edited by QueenoftheDorks

18 hours ago, tsar4 said:

I got caught up in one of those cost-cutting things the first time I was laid off.  After it happened, a friend let me know that in 3 months they'd start hiring people back (I was still a probationary employee, cut just before 90 days).  I filed for unemployment, then sent letters to the company's HR & the group I had been working for, thanking them for the opportunity & letting them know that if they had any questions about what I was working on to let me know.  3 months later, I was brought in for interviews & hired by a different team.

Funny thing was, I found out that nobody picked up on what I had been previously been working on after I was let go, so for 3 months people didn't get paid.  I guess there was a big uproar.  Nobody bothered to follow up with me, I would have told them.

that can happen too but usually in my experience, they rather just do the whole grind of hiring new people again and then doing the whole thing over again. its a broken way to operate. i've learned to steer clear of those places. only two that told me i could come back in a few moths and they would hire me if i applied a few months down the line. so yeah most of the time they do that is money reasons. it makes no sense from any point of view. 

So yeah, I spoke with a gentleman at the office. Was given several resources to look for another job, as it's an obvious requirement to apply while being eligible for unemployment.

I may have found a few positions I'm interested in, so this thread was worthwhile. Thank you everyone.

• Like 2