UnevenEdge

Chimney question

garbagepailcat

We have a wood burning furnace in the basement that keeps the house nice and toasty.

I noticed that the chimney, which runs up the inside of our house (brick covered in plaster), is incredibly warm to the touch. It’s not so hot that it could burn you, but it is warm enough to be somewhat alarming. 

Do any of y’all have experience with this? Is it normal for the chimney to get pretty warm? 

I’m having a chimney sweep come out, so I’m just asking for curiosity’s sake more than anything. 

Tldr: do chimneys get warm or am I about to burn my house down? 

The bricks shouldn't be warm at all.

The flue should be lined, the fact that  it is warm makes me wonder if it is unlined, or if liner is cracked or otherwise defective.

That depends on how old the home is of course, but a good chimney guy will be able to tell.

In the meantime, I wouldn't use it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

As a safety measure you should always inspect the fireplace/chimney before you use it for the reasons Ginguy stated. 

I had an inspector come look at mine in January and got a big "do not use this under any circumstances" 

That sounds expensive 

I actually would like a wood burning fireplace but I'm thinking of getting the wood burning furnace instead